The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 19 July 2019, 05:09 AM   #31
Lgear080
Banned

Maybe you’re in the wrong business? I’ve worked hard my entire life so that I can choose my wardrobe in the morning. As far as watches go I wear seiko, Rolex, AP, etc... some worth a couple hundred others substantially more. If anything I like to challenge my peers to get what they want on their terms. If a client was disappointed in my choice of time piece I’d simply not do business w them.
Lgear080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 05:09 AM   #32
martinr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRIDES View Post
Our sales environments must be vastly different. I remove any possible chance to be perceived in a bad light.
OK but by the same token wouldn’t it be possible for a customer to see your Rolex and say to himself this guy must be good at what he does if he can afford that watch?
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 05:20 AM   #33
martinr
"TRF" Member

Many years ago I was looking to hire a delivery guy so I put an ad in the paper. A guy calls and said he’d like to come in and apply. I said come on in and we’ll talk. The guy shows up wearing a hat that says Drug Enforcement Agent and a back brace. Naturally he didn’t get the job. But he was an idiot for showing up like that. But aren’t we talking about a watch? Something that nobody really pays attention to. With everyone showing off their possessions on social media these days I guess the expectation that everyone notices or cares is what’s driving this silly paranoia. Superdog is under the impression that social media makes people smarter, I disagree.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 05:22 AM   #34
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
You might not realize it, but I absolutely guarantee you that your appearance counts. One way or another.
No question about it.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 05:22 AM   #35
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
OK but by the same token wouldn’t it be possible for a customer to see your Rolex and say to himself this guy must be good at what he does if he can afford that watch?
Quite possibly, but it’s a chance I wish not to take. When I’m sitting across from a purchasing manager, raising a family on a mediocre salary, I choose not to entice negative feelings towards me or my company. I have a couple of long term customers that enjoy watches, and we will discuss horology at times, but I keep that to a minimum.
Old 19 July 2019, 05:23 AM   #36
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Yes, I’m usually surrounded by people wearing Patek’s
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 05:24 AM   #37
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I think I would feel inferior at the lv gtg. Some heavy hitters there.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 05:26 AM   #38
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
I think I would feel inferior at the lv gtg. Some heavy hitters there.
I think I’d go watchless
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 05:26 AM   #39
Brew
"TRF" Member

A co-worker commented on my DJ at some training once, "I shoulda worn mine." I'm guessing my diamond markers had her rethinking her Apple Watch.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 05:27 AM   #40
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
I think I’d go watchless
Well I think you would me watch more in that setting

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 01:40 PM   #41
Oyster1982
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DJ
I wear my Rolex Datejust pretty much all the time unless I’m wearing my Omega Constellation. My clients have never inquired about my watches, they are dentists and usually successful enough that they don’t harbor any jealousy or the thought I am overcharged them. I used to be very self conscious about stuff like that when I was younger, as I’m getting older I really don’t care if someone notices my watch or car. This way of thinking carries its own self confidence which I know helps me get new business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 21 July 2019, 02:02 PM   #42
steve099
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
if i'm self conscious i wear under my cuff, if not i don't worry about it one way or the other
+1
steve099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 04:04 PM   #43
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
I've been 'semi-conscious' in business meetings, does that count?

(I know some people who've been 'unconscious' in business meetings - and nearly 5h1t themselves when their name was called for a report.)

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 09:32 PM   #44
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
I’m not in sales or consultant but I’ve never been called out or felt uncomfortable.
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 10:27 PM   #45
timepieceluvr
"TRF" Member

Never. I’d rather not do business with anyone shallow enough to behave like that.

Let them spend it with someone else, hopefully one of my fiercest competitors.

Guaranteed, whatever profit could be made won’t be worth the hassle to deal with an a**hole.

timepieceluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 01:42 AM   #46
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by timepieceluvr View Post
Never. I’d rather not do business with anyone shallow enough to behave like that.

Guaranteed, whatever profit could be made won’t be worth the hassle to deal with an a**hole.

No idea what you do, or how you do it.

But the vast majority don’t have the luxury of your attitude.

I fight tooth and nail for anything from 6k, to 600k. And I believe everything I do, from the impression I give, to the words I say, to the price I provide, all effects my success rate.

I’ve molded myself into a chameleon. I can relate to the warehouse maintenance guy and the CEO from one meeting to the next.

And I want it all. I want zero going to my competition.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 01:55 AM   #47
timepieceluvr
"TRF" Member

Ever Been Self Conscious in Business Meetings?

Quote:
No idea what you do, or how you do it.

But the vast majority don’t have the luxury of your attitude.

I fight tooth and nail for anything from 6k, to 600k. And I believe everything I do, from the impression I give, to the words I say, to the price I provide, all effects my success rate.

I’ve molded myself into a chameleon. I can relate to the warehouse maintenance guy and the CEO from one meeting to the next.

And I want it all. I want zero going to my competition.

I understand, there are lots of different approaches. Everyone should do what works for them.

I don’t think it’s a luxury or an attitude, there are lots of ways to make a living. I treat people the way I would like to be treated and if they don’t reciprocate I’m out.

I just refuse to deal with dicks. I don’t care about competition, it’s a distraction. As long as I do what I do well, I’ll get my unfair share.

Old 22 July 2019, 02:13 AM   #48
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I understand, there are lots of different approaches. Everyone should do what works for them.

I don’t think it’s a luxury or an attitude, there are lots of ways to make a living. I treat people the way I would like to be treated and if they don’t reciprocate I’m out.

I just refuse to deal with dicks. I don’t care about competition, it’s a distraction. As long as I do what I do well, I’ll get my unfair share.

Great response.

I don’t agree, 100%. But I get it.

We are good at what we do. In fact, we are at the top of our game. But I have a lot of respect for my competition. Some of them anyway.

I deal with dicks all day long. With some really incredible people mixed in. And I have genuine gratitude for them all.

Neither here, nor there, I hope I can get to your point someday. I’d love to be able to turn away work. I’ve raised my prices for some of the more difficult, but I’ve not yet graduated to point where I can feel comfortable telling them to check out the completion.

Old 22 July 2019, 02:18 AM   #49
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:

I have run my business the same way. If I don't care for someone I walk away. Don't care. Have had more work than I could ever need and I'm not greedy. Not returning calls is enough for me to walk.Left more than one customers jaw drop when telling them no thanks, get someone else.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 02:19 AM   #50
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
Until they have to sell them off.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 02:22 AM   #51
timepieceluvr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Great response.

I don’t agree, 100%. But I get it.

We are good at what we do. In fact, we are at the top of our game. But I have a lot of respect for my competition. Some of them anyway.

I deal with dicks all day long. With some really incredible people mixed in. And I have genuine gratitude for them all.

Neither here, nor there, I hope I can get to your point someday. I’d love to be able to turn away work. I’ve raised my prices for some of the more difficult, but I’ve not yet graduated to point where I can feel comfortable telling them to check out the completion.

Stop buying all those damn cars!! JK.

All the best sir.

Old 22 July 2019, 02:32 AM   #52
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Stop buying all those damn cars!! JK.

All the best sir.

Lmao. Not gonna happen. Although I’m definitely burnt out a bit. Happy with what I have.

Nothing new for at least 6 months.

Old 22 July 2019, 03:03 AM   #53
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Because people like to judge.

And in a sales environment customers like to look and judge.

And then they think you are making too much money. So then they question. And then maybe they don’t make the sale.

Cmon guys. You’ve read enough threads. You know there is a valid reason for concern.

Personally, OP, Ive gotten comments on watches and cars. Tons of them. One about my cars just last week. I used to be self conscious. I got to a point where I use it as part of my sales.

I want my customers to see success. Humble success for sure, but someone doing well.

People check my numbers anyway. If I’m competitive, it makes sense to give the work to someone successful rather than the alternative.

Edit to add: as long as you are not a pretentious douche about it. People like passion. When people ask me about my watches or cars I go into my history with them, how much I like them, my hobbies etc. It ends up, again as being part of the sale, and creates even more "get to know you" type conversation.
^This
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 03:08 AM   #54
rolexfan1976
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 Short Hands
Never directly, but I'm almost certain the troubles I had with one of my clients can be blamed on my watch. He was a total *sshole though.
rolexfan1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 06:10 AM   #55
gmh1013
Banned

Watch: GMT
Back in IBM days I wore a TT DJ and never had one comment on it....The only "Comment" on a watch was way back in Lucent days (1998) in Denver training center some good looking women said something about the Breitling Superocean i had on....she said her husband did marketing for Brietling in CA and AZ and she had on some Breitling womens model herself.
gmh1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 06:26 AM   #56
psv
"TRF" Member

Regardless if you get called out or not, people you doing business with may judge you on the watch you are wearing, the car you are driving or watch clothes you wear. It is part of first impressions. Some people care, some people don't. Part of life.

I mean, you don't go into a meeting with a non-profit helping the poorest people in the world trying to sell them something while wearing a gold Rolex and a $5K suit. Never going to happen.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 07:24 AM   #57
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albusdabbledore View Post
Wear your watch proudly
Agree. I mean, it’s not like you’re engaging in an illegal or illicit activity by wearing your Rolex. And if someone calls you out for wearing one? They’re the one who looks foolish.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 08:16 AM   #58
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Had a friend years ago in the oil business who was called a land man I think. His job was to to around to farmers and ranchers to negotiate the right of way on their land to get trucks and rigs in to extract oil and gas.

He had about 3 different outfits/clothing/boots and 3 cars/vehicles he used for his job. One set was for oil exec visits, another was for oil workers he'd meet in bars and lounges to get the work, and another for calling on the farmers and ranchers.

He had to look prosperous and competent enough for the oil boss guys, impressive enough but dressed down for the oil workers and dressed way down for the farmers and ranchers. He was a great BSer and could hang with them all but his clothes could kill deals.

First impressions and all that.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 09:28 AM   #59
psv
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
Had a friend years ago in the oil business who was called a land man I think. His job was to to around to farmers and ranchers to negotiate the right of way on their land to get trucks and rigs in to extract oil and gas.

He had about 3 different outfits/clothing/boots and 3 cars/vehicles he used for his job. One set was for oil exec visits, another was for oil workers he'd meet in bars and lounges to get the work, and another for calling on the farmers and ranchers.

He had to look prosperous and competent enough for the oil boss guys, impressive enough but dressed down for the oil workers and dressed way down for the farmers and ranchers. He was a great BSer and could hang with them all but his clothes could kill deals.

First impressions and all that.
My dad thought me the same, he worked with consumer product marketing/advertising in the 60-ies and 70-ies. We wore business attire for the office and customer meetings, and then switched outfit to go meet with the printers (for magazine ads and catalogs) which back then very much was blue-collar and unionized labor.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 09:36 AM   #60
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Only when I rip ass and it makes people’s eyes water....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote