The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 July 2019, 07:32 AM   #31
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamescfyfe View Post

I also think the ‘change of ownership’ process should be done in a database at Rolex with a genuine reason for sale before the ownership change can take place.
A genuine reason for the owner of a watch selling it, is any reason the owner of the watch has for selling it. It's none of Rolex's business. When my next Rolex arrives, probably a Sky Dweller, circumstances which I could not possibly foresee might arise which result in my selling it the next day. Possibly even for a profit. This does not make me a bad person. It's my watch. I can do what I like with it. I will of course, be aiming to keep it and pass it down a generation. Nevertheless, it's my choice.

A more reliable way would be for everyone on the planet who wants a hot current model to order one through an AD and wait. If the wait list is so long that there is no room on it, the prospective purchaser should wait their turn to join the list. Because absolutely no one in the world will buy grey over MSRP, anyone who buys from an AD to flip won't make a sale unless they offer it below MSRP. How likely is that?

To your other point, my AD says 5 years for the Pepsi for the person at the foot of the current list, which is closed. I think the Pepsi will be in production for much longer than 5 years. It's the Hulk which my AD believes will cease production before everyone on their list gets one.

I've gone for a TT CHNR, which I've fallen properly in love with it after a brief and now past infatuation with the SS Pepsi. I am eighth on the list. It should be with me some time in 2022. When my AD can confidently predict that my watch will arrive in the next 12 months they will ask me for a £500 deposit. I saw a post yesterday from a forum member in London who just bumped into one at MSRP. So who knows?
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 09:56 AM   #32
TickTockChuck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
If you’re not a VIP you’ll pretty much not get a Pepsi
Probably true most of the time. The BLRO is the carrot on the stick to encourage other purchases of slower moving higher margin items at the AD. Rolex only accounts for a portion of the Jeweller's overall sales, as good as it is, so they need to move more merchandise overall. So it goes imho.
TickTockChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 10:03 AM   #33
Dinandriver
"TRF" Member

Not sure if this is true but one of the AD’s I talk to said that Rolex is quite happy with the current market trend...
Dinandriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 10:40 AM   #34
Pete26
Banned

Absolutely no reason for AD's or Rolex to get involved. This is a first world problem, and frankly why should AD's or Rolex keep the warranty etc, the watch is owned by the person who bought it and that person can do anything they like with it.

Blame the increased demand for delays, but don't punish consumers who spend their hard earned money on the product. I voted with my wallet when told that I had to wait years for a Sub-date and bought the more easiliy accesssible OP 36. I have the boxed, 5 year warranty and all hang tags. Could not be happier.

I am more interested in the brand history and reliability factors than in specific models, so once I decided to step back, I got the one I wanted anyway.

If folks are finding it impossible to buy the sports models, either adjust your sights or buy another product, but there are not a lot of PP's and AP's floating around either.
Pete26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 05:36 PM   #35
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Register your interest / waiting list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
If you’re not a VIP you’ll pretty much not get a Pepsi

+1

Yes the are exceptions of course.
Random chance that someone in this whole wide world will walk off the street and get a Pepsi or Daytona. I'm sure it has happened and reported on TRF, but those are the rare situations. Certainly not the norm.

These days to get a hard to get Rolex model you need to be VIP at AD which means you've spent $$$$$ or years of history or both. If not you need to bite the bullet and go grey and spend $$$$$ over MSRP.

It's really simple.

In both scenarios you need to spend $. Now if you're not willing to pay over MSRP and youre not VIP ...you are really **** out of luck.

I would not want Rolex track/monitor what I do with a watch that I have purchased in order to stem flippers and grey market in order to have watches get to the hands of "genuine" watch lovers at MSRP? That's just silly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 05:40 PM   #36
Mike Jab
Banned

I don't understand what you're talking about, my AD is getting me any watch I want so that doesn't impact me but it's not in London so...
Mike Jab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 06:04 PM   #37
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Wake me when this is over.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 06:30 PM   #38
Muxi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonbert View Post
No, but there might be less safety deposit box stuffing by speculators. There might be less motivation for fraudsters to get into the market to swindle consumers through sales at unauthorized dealers or eBay. The whole rationale for the existence of an authorized dealer network is to assure consumers they are buying a genuine Rolex....Rolex’s own words.
People buy watches for their own reasons. If they choose to lock em in a safety deposit box, that is their prerogative. Others choose to delicately wear their pieces while others choose to beat theirs to the ground. There is no right or wrong with acts of ownership.

These are not items where people will perish if another chooses not to use his watch thereby raising morality issues.
Muxi is offline   Reply With Quote