The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 July 2019, 10:22 PM   #91
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Can’t go wrong with a trusty explorer. So classic and sleek.
Old 16 July 2019, 11:50 PM   #92
Twovalvekid
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116900
Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
I'm guessing you won't
I'll be bugging in a few weeks if i don't hear anything. And definitely paying a visit in a few weeks as well. I'm overthinking the end of his response, but he did seem overly positive about getting with me very soon.
Twovalvekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2019, 11:53 PM   #93
Jak77
"TRF" Member

My vote is explorer as well. Good luck! Can’t go wrong with either.
Jak77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2019, 01:17 AM   #94
Twovalvekid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jak77 View Post
My vote is explorer as well. Good luck! Can’t go wrong with either.
That's what i figured. Would be hilarious if he got both in so i could put both on and see how they look and feel. Don't think ill be "unhappy" either way.
Old 17 July 2019, 02:10 PM   #95
csj
"TRF" Member

My personal preference is Explorer so that’s the way I went between the two... however everyone should really buy what they truly like and would wear the most. For me it was Explorer, for you it sounds like you have already made your decision on the Air King. And that perfectly fine. While I personally prefer the Explorer, for some reason I do agree with you and have always thought that 20-30+ years down the line the Air King will hold its value very well due to its “quirkiness”. Buy what you like the most and can’t stop thinking about. Since you made a post about the two and only talked about the Air King, I’d say that’s your answer! Best of luck!
csj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2019, 08:39 PM   #96
desk jockey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
I actually had a chance to see both in person at the AD. I initially put my deposit down for the Explorer; got the call just under 4 weeks later and turned up to pick it up. By chance they had a few watches which had also accumulated in the meantime (YM 40 TT, Rhodium OP 39, etc.) one of which was an Air King.

First of all, if you only ever see those watches in photos / vids you may be surprised at how small they look at first glance. AK looked very small and busy; tried it on and I wasn't blown away tbh and I'm one of those who actually like it. When I saw it was in the store I was actually a bit torn at first and then I put it on.

Then I put on my Explorer and I knew right away it's the right choice. Again, it initially looks quite small both in the hand and on the wrist. Somehow, the more I wear it, the more I've adjusted to the size so that it now looks "normal". Never had that experience, not with my TH Link chrono, not with the PO 8500 (obviously, lol).

Explorer is a joy to have on; I would, and I did, go with that one. Pleased as punch (looking at it as I type!) and wouldn't trade it for AK now for sure.
desk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 09:23 AM   #97
Twovalvekid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csj View Post
My personal preference is Explorer so that’s the way I went between the two... however everyone should really buy what they truly like and would wear the most. For me it was Explorer, for you it sounds like you have already made your decision on the Air King. And that perfectly fine. While I personally prefer the Explorer, for some reason I do agree with you and have always thought that 20-30+ years down the line the Air King will hold its value very well due to its “quirkiness”. Buy what you like the most and can’t stop thinking about. Since you made a post about the two and only talked about the Air King, I’d say that’s your answer! Best of luck!
I think this is why I'd be happy with either one. They both have pro's that get to me and would make me happy. Would be hilarious if the AD called, I showed up, and he had both. I mean hell, he obviously knows im going to buy something and he can sell what I don't get in a heartbeat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desk jockey View Post
I actually had a chance to see both in person at the AD. I initially put my deposit down for the Explorer; got the call just under 4 weeks later and turned up to pick it up. By chance they had a few watches which had also accumulated in the meantime (YM 40 TT, Rhodium OP 39, etc.) one of which was an Air King.

First of all, if you only ever see those watches in photos / vids you may be surprised at how small they look at first glance. AK looked very small and busy; tried it on and I wasn't blown away tbh and I'm one of those who actually like it. When I saw it was in the store I was actually a bit torn at first and then I put it on.

Then I put on my Explorer and I knew right away it's the right choice. Again, it initially looks quite small both in the hand and on the wrist. Somehow, the more I wear it, the more I've adjusted to the size so that it now looks "normal". Never had that experience, not with my TH Link chrono, not with the PO 8500 (obviously, lol).

Explorer is a joy to have on; I would, and I did, go with that one. Pleased as punch (looking at it as I type!) and wouldn't trade it for AK now for sure.
This is what I think will happen if the above goes down. If I see both, I'm probably going to end up with the exp but then again, those heart strings.
Old 28 July 2019, 04:46 AM   #98
Twovalvekid
"TRF" Member

Stopped in today to say "hi." Of course the sales guy was off today. Lol. But I chatted up a few of the others there and they mentioned that they would tell him I stopped in. We'll see what happens.

So continues the explorer saga.
Old 28 July 2019, 06:19 AM   #99
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
It was the Air King over the Explorer for me. I wore it as daily for a year then traded it for a Polar. Happy choosing...

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2019, 08:06 AM   #100
VegasMilgauss
"TRF" Member

Explorer
VegasMilgauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2019, 06:39 AM   #101
Twovalvekid
"TRF" Member

Man, I think I need a cigarette after visiting my AD.

Go in, chat the guy up, and the conversation actually goes really well. Probably BS for a solid 45 minutes and try on the oyster perpetual. I liked it, but the dial didn't hit me like the explorer did. So apologized for wasting time but the guy actually made me feel decent and said stop by anytime because they just get the BS "hey you got any xxxx" and people get pissed then walk out. Said the conversation, appreciated that I wasn't just another person who gets pissed, and he definitely hopes to have an explorer in soon but not sure when. With the questions he was asking, and how the convo was going, hopefully I get an email/call here soon!

Now...to the cigarette part. About 10 minutes I look down in the case and think "wait what..." Had a nice, shiny yellow gold/SS band black face Daytona in. A few mins later we started talking about it and I said I was shocked to see it, then he asked if I wanted to try it on. Absolutely blown away with how good looking the watch was even if it wasn't my taste (don't really get into YG). And after seeing it on the wrist I was also pleasantly surprised how small it wore. Tough one to put back down! Sticker was 16.5, and I joked that if it was SS I'd be going to the bank. Gorgeous watch. So if anyone wants a Daytona....I know where one is sitting in the case as of an hour ago. LOL.
Old 9 August 2019, 06:47 AM   #102
shawn13ca
"TRF" Member

The AK did it for me.
shawn13ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2019, 07:25 AM   #103
bitpshr
"TRF" Member

The AirKing and its anti-magnetic movement casing, limited production period, and unique minute dial made it an obvious choice over the Explorer for me.

I wear it as my daily and it gets a ton of attention, surprisingly.

Trust your gut.
bitpshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2019, 07:48 AM   #104
J-rob
"TRF" Member

OP, were you ever able to pick one up?
J-rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2019, 07:53 AM   #105
Largoshark
"TRF" Member

Sometimes less is more. I think the Explorer will have more staying power. Good luck!
Largoshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2019, 08:49 AM   #106
Jabbo84
Banned

Watch: Rolex/Piaget
For a first rolex o would suggest a steel and gold datejust. Timeless and can be dressy Or sporty. Really wouldn’t need another rolex considering how hard they are to get. Remember, your late to the game
Jabbo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2019, 05:01 PM   #107
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twovalvekid View Post
Late bloomer here into this hobby, but about a year or so ago I started out with a Hamilton Khaki Auto field watch. Fast forward to a few weeks ago and decided to look into the local Longines AD and order a 41mm ceramic hydroconquest after looking at the 43 in the store. Side note, suddenly understand why you go look at and put on a watch before buying. The hydro looks kinda meh or bland in pics but sitting in the store it blew me away.

So I got pointed over here from another forum, started looking, and fell in love with the quirkiness, fun, and different-ness of the air king when compared to other models. Personally, always liked and got items that were a little not the norm. Plus, after doing a little hw all of the quirky/different references like this tend to hold their value well for various reasons (however, not why im buying). Ventured farther down the rabbit hole and started looking at the Explorer and the simplicity in design and heritage is starting get me on this one too. Plus, the ability to mix it up with a nato strap also gets my interest.

Thoughts for a noob stuck in the middle? I have an AD about a mile away, but I know if I walk in there ill end up walking out with something.

Any update OP?
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2019, 05:21 PM   #108
SkyJuice
"TRF" Member

Explorer 1 is a good choice for daily beater.
SkyJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2019, 07:24 PM   #109
rl96701
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller

I have owned a still have many.... buy this has become one of the tops!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rl96701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2019, 09:35 PM   #110
alphasports
"TRF" Member

Had the Exp and AK at the same time, Exp is still here, AK is long gone. Loved the AK color highlights etc but hated the almost total lack of lume and the white gold 3-6-9, seem out of place beside the sporty 5-10-20-25 etc.

Plus it's a Milgauss in disguise (same case & movement) so it's a big thing. Prefer the paraflex in the Exp.
alphasports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2019, 10:12 PM   #111
Explorer2Guy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphasports View Post
Had the Exp and AK at the same time, Exp is still here, AK is long gone. Loved the AK color highlights etc but hated the almost total lack of lume and the white gold 3-6-9, seem out of place beside the sporty 5-10-20-25 etc.

Plus it's a Milgauss in disguise (same case & movement) so it's a big thing. Prefer the paraflex in the Exp.
The unmatched, white gold numbers were to me idiotic.

The minute numbers mixed in with the hour numbers were very distracting.

I don’t miss my AK for this reason foremost.
Explorer2Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2019, 11:22 PM   #112
Twovalvekid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
Any update OP?
Sadly still waiting. I pop in the AD from time to time to shoot the shit. He had mentioned that they got a memo from rolex about no further exp 1's until first of the year. Knew from the beginning it would be about 6 months, looks like it's going to be that.

Still was trying to pimp the OP they had since the first time i came in. Should've asked what he'd let it go for seeing is it's been there since July.
Old 15 October 2019, 12:19 AM   #113
umphreak18
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twovalvekid View Post
Sadly still waiting. I pop in the AD from time to time to shoot the shit. He had mentioned that they got a memo from rolex about no further exp 1's until first of the year. Knew from the beginning it would be about 6 months, looks like it's going to be that.

Still was trying to pimp the OP they had since the first time i came in. Should've asked what he'd let it go for seeing is it's been there since July.
I recently picked up an AK from my AD and was deciding between that and an Explorer 1 they had in stock. DM me if you're interested I can see if it is still available!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
umphreak18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 02:38 AM   #114
alphasports
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer2Guy View Post
The unmatched, white gold numbers were to me idiotic.

The minute numbers mixed in with the hour numbers were very distracting.

I don’t miss my AK for this reason foremost.
Agreed. If they just changed the 3-6-9 to 15-30-45, ideally with lume, it would make a big diff.
alphasports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 02:44 AM   #115
timy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor BB GMT
My vote goes Explorer. I'm on a waitlist at the moment. Expecting it within 6 months. It'll probably be the highlight of my collection. There is a limit I could spend on a piece, and the Explorer is just about that limit!
timy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 04:15 AM   #116
Twovalvekid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umphreak18 View Post
I recently picked up an AK from my AD and was deciding between that and an Explorer 1 they had in stock. DM me if you're interested I can see if it is still available!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
I wouldn't mind it, just trying to build a rapport with the AD.
Old 22 November 2019, 08:40 AM   #117
Twovalvekid
"TRF" Member

Got a call today from the AD that they have an AK in stock. Guess I’ll go take a look. Have a feeling my heart may be on the Exp though.
Old 22 November 2019, 08:50 AM   #118
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Explorer. Perfect watch for life.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2019, 08:58 AM   #119
crewsin
Banned

Watch: Explorer
The Explorer will be far more versatile, no question there, it's been called the "perfect" exit watch by many over the years. Definitely go check out that Air King though, seeing/feeling something in person is VERY different than looking at pictures and you might find that you love it - but be patient and level-headed if you can, no matter what decision you make.
For what it's worth, I owned a modern Submariner, along with a Datejust 41, and a 42mm Explorer II - sold them all and bought a white gold pepsi GMT...then sold that to put a down payment on a house. I eventually came back to Rolex once the more important things were settled and stable again. Now the only watch I own is a 214270 Explorer (older non-lumed numerals) and it without question wears more comfortably than any of the ones I had before, it straight up just weighs less and isn't as tall, which helps the bracelet keep it balanced it a little better on the wrist IMO.
Clearly I am biased because I adore the one I have, but having owned some other ones then gotten rid of them (along with the attitude of owning some flashy pieces that NO ONE ever noticed) I'm finally content, and don't desire other watches anymore.

Good luck and remember to have fun with it - that's the most important thing.
crewsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2019, 08:59 AM   #120
HORNBLOWER
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1 OR 2
Explorer all day. The Airking is a divisive watch and not for everybody, its also much bigger on the wrist as it has a chunky Milgauss case. The Explorer is much more versatile. Completely different watches. Whatever floats your boat.
HORNBLOWER is offline   Reply With Quote