The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 July 2019, 09:20 PM   #31
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
I would have enlightened him that it is actually worth 1.5x retail once you walk out the store with it and that he must have been confusing it with another brand...either that or I wouldn't even have acknowledged his comment.
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 09:44 PM   #32
Brich436
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124270
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesharkfactor View Post
I would have enlightened him that it is actually worth 1.5x retail once you walk out the store with it and that he must have been confusing it with another brand...either that or I wouldn't even have acknowledged his comment.
That is exactly what went through my mind but I was laughing too hard to say it! It made my night it was just too funny.
124270 "R#" Explorer 1
79030B Black Bay 58
Brich436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 10:11 PM   #33
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Ignorance is one thing, but being unprofessional is entirely different.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 10:43 PM   #34
Bryant Park
Banned

I think all of us that are blessed to be able to afford a Rolex and knowledgeable enough to understand the value should take a deep breath and get over ourselves...

"Ignorance is one thing, but being unprofessional is entirely different."

This kid works at a carnival he is not a cardiologist. I would venture a guess that in his mind he was making small talk or complimenting OPs financial capacity to take a hit and own a watch.

People threatening violence, getting him fired come on it's impolite perhaps but big deal. You own a Rolex and he is strapping people into rides, do you really need more validation?
Bryant Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 12:04 AM   #35
Bryan81
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryant Park View Post
You own a Rolex and he is strapping people into rides, do you really need more validation?
I know you don't mean it this way, but I don't really view myself as somehow at a different level than someone because I own a Rolex and they just strap people into rides. If I said something rude to them, I think they'd have every right to point out that I was rude. People would also say, "Just because you own a Rolex and the kid is strapping people into rides doesn't mean you're better than them and can say rude things to them."

To me, it actually seems more respectful to say something in response rather than just viewing it as "they're just a dumb kid". I may be completely misunderstanding the situation that occurred (tone, etc.), but I'd probably say, "I could actually sell it for more today than what I bought it for. And what you said was kinda rude."

When I said before the kid was ignorant, it wasn't meant in a derogatory way. Just that he didn't know the truth.
Bryan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 12:07 AM   #36
JerseyChris
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega 300m Diver
I probably would have just giggled and told him, you're right, I will go home and take it off immediately. lol
JerseyChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 12:12 AM   #37
RobearH
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Lol...This from a employee of a place where people plop down $50 bucks to win a stuffed or plastic trinket truly worth nothing even before you win it!
RobearH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 12:15 AM   #38
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
Once I read that youth is a disease that is cured over the years
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 12:33 AM   #39
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cts View Post
Um.. He’s working as a ride attendant at an amusement park.. Haven’t met many winners there but maybe someday... Someday...
Easy. He's a high school kid.
Old 19 July 2019, 12:55 AM   #40
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Have to tell you. Perhaps this generation is not lost to wrist watches after all. Clearly he is paying attention.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 12:57 AM   #41
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
Ignorance is one thing, but being unprofessional is entirely different.
So we want professional behavior from a kid making 10 bucks an hour now. Lol. At least the kid is into watches.
Old 19 July 2019, 01:05 AM   #42
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think all of us that are blessed to be able to afford a Rolex and knowledgeable enough to understand the value should take a deep breath and get over ourselves...

"Ignorance is one thing, but being unprofessional is entirely different."

This kid works at a carnival he is not a cardiologist. I would venture a guess that in his mind he was making small talk or complimenting OPs financial capacity to take a hit and own a watch.

People threatening violence, getting him fired come on it's impolite perhaps but big deal. You own a Rolex and he is strapping people into rides, do you really need more validation?

Could not agree more. It’s amazing how one forgets the mistakes of ones youth and always seems to recall with extensive detail their youthful wit, intelligence, and absolutely sound judgement. Lol.
Old 19 July 2019, 03:51 AM   #43
Brich436
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
Have to tell you. Perhaps this generation is not lost to wrist watches after all. Clearly he is paying attention.
This.

It says something about the brand of Rolex..... everyone knows what it is!

124270 "R#" Explorer 1
79030B Black Bay 58
Brich436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 04:03 AM   #44
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

You should have told him that that was right in his price range.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 04:10 AM   #45
drtii
Banned

Watch: 216570 | 126660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brich436 View Post
He responds "man do you know what a total waste of money that is? it's worth nothing once you wear it!" NOTHING!

Congratulations. You just bought a $0 watch and lost $8k in the Rolex stock market.

I'm sorry for your loss. I would be willing to offer you 100% more than it's worth right now ($1) to take this worthless piece of boujee 1%'er jewelry off your hands.

Sage advice from the kid that buckles seat belts for min wage.
drtii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 04:14 AM   #46
pigman08
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610,16710,214270
"Is that a ROLEX"???? ------> funny encounter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
So we want professional behavior from a kid making 10 bucks an hour now. Lol. At least the kid is into watches.

Professional behavior: That’s debatable.
Respectful behavior: That’s non-negotiable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
♛- Yet to be determined, but a white 16520 is on the short list. (I believe that I'll be able to read it better than my old 116520)
pigman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 04:21 AM   #47
afjag256
"TRF" Member

Punching down is a bad look.
afjag256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 04:24 AM   #48
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brich436 View Post
He responds "man do you know what a total waste of money that is? it's worth nothing once you wear it!" NOTHING!

It could be that's what his mom or dad has been feeding him for years so to not aspire to get one (or waste money on luxury stuff)!
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 04:27 AM   #49
Rootsblower
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Date
Guys the kid is just that..... a kid. He’s probably too young and immature to be schooled. I would just play it cool and laugh it off ,remember not everyone loves the crown like us. All we can do is stay classy.

My father says “An ounce of breeding is worth a ton of feeding”
Rootsblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 04:28 AM   #50
corkscrew
"TRF" Member

I would have told him that I have so much money that buying a watch like this was an insignificant purchase to me. I would have ended by saying that if he learns to keep his smartass mouth shut, one day he might be in the same position.
corkscrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 04:34 AM   #51
herts9
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by corkscrew View Post
I would have told him that I have so much money that buying a watch like this was an insignificant purchase to me. I would have ended by saying that if he learns to keep his smartass mouth shut, one day he might be in the same position.
Along the same lines, I would have told him that I'm glad I'm in a place where I have so much to waste and that I hope he'll get there one day.

My guess that response would have him wearing one in the next 20 years.
herts9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 04:45 AM   #52
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Suggested answer:

"You are correct -- I got this one for nothing. Where's yours?"
fsprow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 04:45 AM   #53
Bryant Park
Banned

@Corkscrew "I would have told him that I have so much money that buying a watch like this was an insignificant purchase to me. I would have ended by saying that if he learns to keep his smartass mouth shut, one day he might be in the same position."

Your comment suggests some sort of moral superiority or virtue as measured by owning a Rolex? Kind of demeaning to a kid that was likely working hard at a summer job and joking. Almost bullying if you will....

But taking your premise to its logical extension would it be appropriate for people that have more extravagant collections then you to suggest "spend less time posting, work hard and one day you might be in the same position as me"?

Is it suddenly ok to diminish someone based on their socio economic status, professional inexperience, or G-d forbid naïveté around the value of a Rolex. Does owning a Rolex allow you to be be so self important you lack a sense of humor.. (FYI these are rhetorical). If so then I hope you have the largest collection of material goods out there or time for you to keep your (profanity omitted) mouth shut and get crackin....
Bryant Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 05:00 AM   #54
blankapdx
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500 black
Quote:
@Corkscrew "I would have told him that I have so much money that buying a watch like this was an insignificant purchase to me. I would have ended by saying that if he learns to keep his smartass mouth shut, one day he might be in the same position."

Your comment suggests some sort of moral superiority or virtue as measured by owning a Rolex? Kind of demeaning to a kid that was likely working hard at a summer job and joking. Almost bullying if you will....

But taking your premise to its logical extension would it be appropriate for people that have more extravagant collections then you to suggest "spend less time posting, work hard and one day you might be in the same position as me"?

Is it suddenly ok to diminish someone based on their socio economic status, professional inexperience, or G-d forbid naïveté around the value of a Rolex. Does owning a Rolex allow you to be be so self important you lack a sense of humor.. (FYI these are rhetorical). If so then I hope you have the largest collection of material goods out there or time for you to keep your (profanity omitted) mouth shut and get crackin....
This!
He's only a kid and I respect people that is willing to work then sitting at home doing nothing.
blankapdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 05:19 AM   #55
ferrissteve11
"TRF" Member

Kid was/is working a customer service job. It was unprofessional on his part to be rude to the customer. Should the OP rip the kid for his ignorance...all on how the OP takes things I suppose.
ferrissteve11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 05:26 AM   #56
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostas View Post
No , I live in Australia where every one isn’t sue crazy !
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 05:30 AM   #57
derekhayden
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor BBGMT
This is why I always wear my Tudor when going to Carnivals. I have had quite a few great conversations with Carnys about their Black Bays when I am waiting in line.
derekhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 05:32 AM   #58
tpool
"TRF" Member

As we say in Texas, bless his heart.
Rofl

tpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 05:38 AM   #59
Bostonbert
"TRF" Member

Well look on the positive side. At least he wasn’t waiting for you with a bunch of his buddies to take the watch from you when you got off the ride. Wearing a Rolex is a wonderful way to attract attention from the wrong sort of people. When someone notices my watch outside of a watch dealer, I say it’s a fake. It never happens with an IWC....a much safer watch to wear in public.
Bostonbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 05:40 AM   #60
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigman08 View Post
Professional behavior: That’s debatable.
Respectful behavior: That’s non-negotiable.

I agree. But I would not be offended in anything that kid said. He seems to know something about watches albeit wrong, but may come to appreciate mechanical watches at some point.