The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 July 2019, 09:31 AM   #1
jagwap
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC IW389001
So I didn't walk into my AD today...

'Cause what's the point?

Time to add another IWC to the collection...
jagwap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 09:34 AM   #2
CharlesN
"TRF" Member

Watch: I love them all.
I think I know your AD.

He had a delivery just a short while ago today.

I think you missed your one chance.

The rule of thumb .. Never pass by an AD without walking in.
CharlesN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 10:18 PM   #3
PeqFB
"TRF" Member

True, my wife suggested we go into the Rolex store and I was like, "why, they won't have anything good".
PeqFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 10:38 PM   #4
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
The last time I stopped by my AD he tried to sell me a used Omega.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 10:41 PM   #5
Mike Jab
Banned

Never underestimate the power of luck...
Mike Jab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 10:42 PM   #6
JerseyChris
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega 300m Diver
I have not been in the local one here yet.. Will be curious to see of they have much in stock.
JerseyChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 11:11 PM   #7
RolyMoly
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesN View Post
I think I know your AD.

He had a delivery just a short while ago today.

I think you missed your one chance.

The rule of thumb .. Never pass by an AD without walking in.

True. I walked out with two SS pieces this year on the fluke of just “checking things out.”
RolyMoly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 11:28 PM   #8
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Local AD is less than a mile walk from here. I haven't been in since last year. We did go to the one at the mall three miles away when my wife was looking for an OP.
Old 19 July 2019, 11:33 PM   #9
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Never pass the chance of joining the line at the AD,you may just be lucky number 39 ..
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 11:41 PM   #10
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagwap View Post
'Cause what's the point?

This is exactly what happened to me last week. Went to visit my local AD, put a down payment towards an IWC I'll be getting later this month. I am fortunate to have a fairly robust Rolex collection that I grew a few years back. Nowadays I just have no interest is paying way over MSRP or waiting years to get things I like... Hopefully things change, but until then I am going to look at other brands.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2019, 12:03 AM   #11
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

I'd also add, I think now is a good time to look at other brands. We all know and love Rolex, but you should only consider paying premiums or waiting years to get a watch if you really, really love it. Otherwise, I don't see the incentive of building a collection. I have pieces that I "had" to have and others I like very much but only purchased because the pricing was right and it made sense. If I could get a GMT-Master II at MSRP, I'd probably consider getting a BLRO on Jubilee to add to my BLNR on Oyster. At 20k, I am just not interested.

I have been buying classic Panerai pieces at bargain prices and expanding my IWC collection (who I happen to think is doing really great things at the moment). Both brands are at the same price point as Rolex, and while they will never BE Rolex, they make excellent references.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2019, 12:07 AM   #12
Lifeisarolliecoaster
"TRF" Member

Watch: This space
Reading other posts it seems that the opportunistic visits to an AD yield the best results. For me ‘booking’ an appointment with an AD has yet to get me a single piece
Lifeisarolliecoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2019, 12:09 AM   #13
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

i always go into random AD's and never ask for anything. I try on what's there. Been offered a few from the back as a result more than once
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2019, 12:55 AM   #14
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I go more into Omega when I've got some spare time in the mall now.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2019, 06:04 AM   #15
stevedssd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
+1
stevedssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2019, 07:45 AM   #16
pkincy
"TRF" Member

Why waste the gas, the time and experience the aggravation. Another watch simply isn't worth the trouble.
pkincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2019, 08:26 AM   #17
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes, it's hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
i always go into random AD's and never ask for anything. I try on what's there. Been offered a few from the back as a result more than once
Good to know.

As for "planned" trips: one time, a local AD sales associate gave me her business card and said "let's schedule a meeting so we can put you on a path to a more realistic Rolex model."

Definitely one of the top 5 most degrading things someone has said to me, lol. I smiled and thanked her for her time.
Old 20 July 2019, 08:29 AM   #18
drtii
Banned

Watch: 216570 | 126660
It's a bit more difficult for me. Here in Oregon you already know the situation. Yes, you can get lucky, but not likely. I'm already on all of the lists and have established business. I'd be straight up wasting my time driving downtown to see non-existent watches.

Also, and this is the truly sad part. Since we have no sales tax here it makes no financial sense to visit an AD in any other state, so when I travel - pointless. I'd love to go in and check things out but it's not worth the 8% - 10% they tack on.

Soooo, until I get a call, I'll just chill out.
drtii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2019, 08:32 AM   #19
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes, it's hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtii View Post
Also, and this is the truly sad part. Since we have no sales tax here it makes no financial sense to visit an AD in any other state, so when I travel - pointless. I'd love to go in and check things out but it's not worth the 8% - 10% they tack on.
Have the AD in the other state ship it to your state. You won't get taxed, as long as that AD doesn't have a location in your home state. It's actually a pretty common practice.
Old 20 July 2019, 08:36 AM   #20
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daOnlyBG View Post
Have the AD in the other state ship it to your state. You won't get taxed, as long as that AD doesn't have a location in your home state. It's actually a pretty common practice.
really only works if your home state doesnt have a sales tax. Now, NY is supposed to collect sales tax on behalf of california for example since the buyer in california never reported it on the honor system. So its collected at purchase
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2019, 09:37 AM   #21
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagwap View Post
'Cause what's the point?

Agree 100%

IWC is getting my money these days. IWC was actually my very first love of watches they are one of the classiest models/brands out there.

I forgot how good they are. Even eyeing a Portuguese Perpetual Calender now - THAT is an amazing watch.

And for $25-30k much much much (actually miles) ahead of a SS Rolex like a Daytona or BLRO.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2019, 09:42 AM   #22
drtii
Banned

Watch: 216570 | 126660
Quote:
Originally Posted by daOnlyBG View Post
You're talking about in-person visits, right? Because I was under the impression that if you purchase a watch locally, which is the only way they'd ship it, you'd be paying sales tax. It's not just resident-based.

I know you can call and do this, but I haven't had much luck with it.
drtii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2019, 11:26 AM   #23
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
I often go in just to shoot the breeze. My ADs are always up for a good conversation. There’s other things to look at besides Rolex also. It’s good to stay top of mind too.
Old 20 July 2019, 11:46 AM   #24
Dougiebaby
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona BLNR SubLV
I went to my AD 2days ago (Wednesday July 17) and walked out with this...

I was not on any sort of a wait list nor am I a big customer of theirs. But my salesman knew I was a watch enthusiast from our previous conversations.

I know my story is not the norm, but fortunate things can happen. Believe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dougiebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2019, 11:58 AM   #25
T3F
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
The last time I stopped by my AD he tried to sell me a used Omega.
I laughed out loud at this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
I'd also add, I think now is a good time to look at other brands. We all know and love Rolex, but you should only consider paying premiums or waiting years to get a watch if you really, really love it. Otherwise, I don't see the incentive of building a collection. I have pieces that I "had" to have and others I like very much but only purchased because the pricing was right and it made sense. If I could get a GMT-Master II at MSRP, I'd probably consider getting a BLRO on Jubilee to add to my BLNR on Oyster. At 20k, I am just not interested.

I have been buying classic Panerai pieces at bargain prices and expanding my IWC collection (who I happen to think is doing really great things at the moment). Both brands are at the same price point as Rolex, and while they will never BE Rolex, they make excellent references.
Yep. Not going to lie, I got really into trying to get the hot models and got all that I wanted, and...it was super unfulfilling and sucked all of the fun out of collecting. I want a Day-Date and am waiting on the meteorite BLRO, but after that, I'm likely done with Rolex. I'm taking delivery of a few Nautiluses over the next two years, but after that, I'll be done chasing rare Pateks, also, and honestly, were I already not confirmed to be getting them, I likely wouldn't bother. I'm waiting it out with AP, as well, but I'm not going to play the games again, so if nothing happens, nothing happens. I've been looking more at the "less popular" brands recently -- Omega, IWC, JLC, Panerai, VC, Blancpain, independents, etc. -- and am having way more fun. They make watches that are just as good (even better in some ways) and you can walk in and buy them without playing games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
LOVE the Omega boutique. Salespeople are wonderful and they actually have/could order in anything I'd want.
Old 20 July 2019, 12:19 PM   #26
Seaswirl
"TRF" Member

OP, which IWC are you looking at? Love IWCs.
Seaswirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2019, 12:45 PM   #27
ademarco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
I’m from San Diego and walked into the City Creek AD in SLC. They only had a gold sub and aren’t keeping a list as all 3 allocations of the Batman are reserved for their clients with past purchase history. Not sure how they stay in business as they only sell Rolex.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ademarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 10:33 PM   #28
jagwap
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC IW389001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaswirl View Post
OP, which IWC are you looking at? Love IWCs.
I love the pilot range. I have the ceramic chrono from a couple of years ago, IW389001, and I am drawn to another. I looked at the brass Spitfires yesterday, and the Chrono is special, but it is a little tall for my wrist. However the time/date is perfectly sized. The green is gorgeous. Much less flashy than a 116610LV. If I could come up with a non-leather solution for a strap, as the climate here kills them, I may take one. It's main reason I haven't taken a Big Pilot in the past.
jagwap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 10:37 PM   #29
Norbert
"TRF" Member

For those that have given up, part of the craze over SS models is the thrill of the hunt to get one at msrp from a dealer. When one does get one at msrp, you have to quickly post in on rolexforum, sometime from the dealer, so you can share in trophy!
Norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 10:39 PM   #30
FloridaSam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16013
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Never hurts to check. I've been VERY lucky.
FloridaSam is offline   Reply With Quote