The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Closed Thread

Old 3 March 2021, 06:17 AM   #31
tike71
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101031-28 View Post
I offered to take the watch back for a full refund, the buyer declined using laughable excuses. I offered USD 250 for a bracelet polish, he refused that as well. I have definitely learned a big lesson. Never again will I do a favor like this one!
Doesn't really matter that you offered a full refund. The buyer has, understandably, lost any and all confidence in your ability to fulfill your obligations.
Old 3 March 2021, 06:35 AM   #32
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Well if the buyer was offered a full refund, there is no excuse to keep the watch and complain about condition. At the same time however, the seller cannot be trusted and should not be allowed to post sale items. Misrepresenting a watch is a big no-no, in this case negligence is no excuse. If another person sees this thread and does the same thing, and later apologizes, what is the precedent? Just my two cents.
Old 3 March 2021, 09:12 AM   #33
Rick Deckard
"TRF" Member

Well, the damage is already done. This thread does it. The seller is pretty much burned.

Realistically, would I ever do business with 101031-28? No. Why take the risk? What I cannot get over is how on earth would you sell something under your ID (and with your reputation) that you don't have in your hands or had the opportunity to inspect in person? - besides also not owning it. And your "friend" should take more ownership in protecting you for the favor you were doing him/her.

As for the buyer, take the $250 and get the bracelet polished. It's not the end of the world. Much better than if the case was banged up. So mark this one off to experience and move on.

Lineup: 1601 (SD) - 16030 (SD) - 126334 (BLSO) -116600 - 116610LV Mk.III - 126610LV - 126710BLRO Mk.III (Jubilee/Oyster) - 116500LN-0072 (BD/SD)
Old 3 March 2021, 09:27 AM   #34
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

A few things of note here.

The seller has been given a three week hiatus from the forum. That is for the violation of the forum rules. Selling without the watch in physical possession is a big problem.
This opens the transaction up to a lot of variables, too many of which are not conducive to a fair and honest transaction.

Further. TRF is not affiliated with sellers, and all sales are by private entities.
As a forum, we only offer a space for these private transactions, and a trusted seller is not a label used by this forum.
There are a few ‘recommended’ sellers here, of which have their own section in the classifieds sections. Always make sure with whom you’re dealing with is who they say they are, and make sure to do due diligence on both the seller, and the product.

As a last note.
Although condition was not at all accurate to the condition of the watch, the pictures did clearly show the condition. If one thing does not jive with another, that should set off red flags.

This seller did try to make amends by offering alternatives, which although was a step in the right direction, the trust was already lost.
Let that be a lesson to all.

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
Old 3 March 2021, 10:39 AM   #35
samuel019
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me go broke!!!!
I see issues on both sides but a $1000 off for those scratches is a tad ridiculous no?
Old 3 March 2021, 06:49 PM   #36
Maitham89
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
A few things of note here.

The seller has been given a three week hiatus from the forum. That is for the violation of the forum rules. Selling without the watch in physical possession is a big problem.
This opens the transaction up to a lot of variables, too many of which are not conducive to a fair and honest transaction.

Further. TRF is not affiliated with sellers, and all sales are by private entities.
As a forum, we only offer a space for these private transactions, and a trusted seller is not a label used by this forum.
There are a few ‘recommended’ sellers here, of which have their own section in the classifieds sections. Always make sure with whom you’re dealing with is who they say they are, and make sure to do due diligence on both the seller, and the product.

As a last note.
Although condition was not at all accurate to the condition of the watch, the pictures did clearly show the condition. If one thing does not jive with another, that should set off red flags.

This seller did try to make amends by offering alternatives, which although was a step in the right direction, the trust was already lost.
Let that be a lesson to all.
Thank you sleddog, I believe this outcome is fair, I brought this issue forward here on the forum to highlight the sellers violations so that other forum members could be careful when dealing with 101031-28 for violating the rules and misrepresenting the watch.

Although I asked for compensation for the damages on the watch, It was not my intention to pressure her here on the forum into paying what I asked for, This was no longer about the money but sharing her way of doing business and dealing with her customers to other forum members.

I have not and will not receive any compensation from her, I will have the watch inspected and polished at my own expense and that's ok, the lesson is worth the hit.

This forum is a great place for both buyers and sellers to connect and as mentioned before I have been fortunate to have dealt with dozens of great sellers here.

Thank you all for your comments and opinions on this post, this is great lesson for us all.
Old 8 March 2021, 01:01 AM   #37
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
Simple solution. Find a neutral person\company to mail the watch and to mail the refund money. Then upon receipt and mutual satisfacation, both buyer and seller authorize the release of watch and money to the respective parties.
Old 19 March 2021, 07:17 AM   #38
Tridor
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD, DJ, SubC Date
I would never trust this seller. We are all adults here (well, at least I hope that we are), and there is or should be a certain degree of trust in this forum. That trust has been breached, IMHO. The description of the watch in the post (including the photos) appears to have been made intentionally and appears to have been misrepresented. The buyer then relied on that representation to his detriment and has suffered damages. Period. End of story. I don't buy the "I was selling it for a friend as a favor" excuse and I don't think that the seller should be able to skate on this one. There is a consequence for every act, and the buyer did not receive the item in the condition it was offered initially. I agree with a previous poster that most anyone here would be screaming and yelling if they had plunked down $19,500 and received a watch looking like that. Who knows what's going on with the movement? My solution here would be to require the seller to pay for a full service at RSC as a condition to not being banned or suspended. There should be a zero tolerance policy here for those kinds of shenanigans.
Old 3 April 2021, 09:21 AM   #39
Orangeface
"TRF" Member

Watch: No-Date Sub
“Selling for a friend.” Oh boy. That right there is two-way trouble.
Old 3 April 2021, 11:26 AM   #40
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeface View Post
“Selling for a friend.” Oh boy. That right there is two-way trouble.

Exactly. Every “oh no, oh gosh, I got scammed” story starts with something like the above. A few favorites, from the past few weeks:

1. Seller had no history but I loved the watch.
2. Bank info didn’t match up.
3. Selling the watch for somebody else
4. I sent the money by PayPal friends and family even though I didn’t know seller
5. The account is in my wife’s name
6. It was an amazing price.
7. Found no who’s who reference and wired the money overseas

It’s endless. It takes two to get scammed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 4 April 2021, 04:47 AM   #41
jimmytamp
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Tudor, IWC,
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101031-28 View Post
Interesting that he knows the rule, yet did not say anything to me in that regard and still went ahead with his purchase.

As a seller, why you throw the responsibility “to read the rules” to others?

Clearly here the seller has breached the rules and must take the full responsibility to the seller.

SMH

https://www.instagram.com/fliegerb777/
Old 7 April 2021, 07:59 AM   #42
goldfixer21
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

While I agree the seller made a mistake by describing it as Like New, but the buyer asking for $1K for some easily polished scratches on the band? Buyer was just being punitive with that request. A full refund was offered, and should have been accepted.
Old 7 April 2021, 10:59 AM   #43
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
This purchase could have turned out so much worse.
At least OP's money was not stolen, and the watch actually arrived.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
Old 7 April 2021, 02:43 PM   #44
cjcarter134
"TRF" Member

The seller didn't conduct business properly per forum rules. Seems pretty cut and dry. OP I hope the watch checks out okay. Good luck.
Old 8 April 2021, 03:35 AM   #45
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
After a three week suspension, my status has been reinstated. I made a very poor choice offering to sell a watch without seeing it in person, I broke a rule I wasn't honestly aware of and have taken full responsibility for it. I took the owner's word and that was a mistake I will never make again. I am not a seller but if I ever sell anything else, it will be in my possession and described accordingly. I offered the buyer a full refund. Gave him all of my information for peace of mind but he did not feel comfortable sending the watch for fear I would scam him. The owner of the Daytona offered to refund USD 250.00 toward a polish but the buyer insisted on USD 1,000.00 I am an honest person and did my best to make the buyer happy.

On a side note, at USD 19,500 (shipping next day Fedex Parcel Pro insured for USD 20,000 included) complete set, one owner, this Daytona Ref 116520 is much more desirable unpolished vs polished, IMO.

Ian Fleming
Old 8 April 2021, 04:57 PM   #46
Maitham89
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfixer21 View Post
While I agree the seller made a mistake by describing it as Like New, but the buyer asking for $1K for some easily polished scratches on the band? Buyer was just being punitive with that request. A full refund was offered, and should have been accepted.
In normal circumstances with a trusted seller I would have asked for a refund, as the seller was dishonest about the condition of the watch and the way that she was trying to insist that nothing was wrong with it. I could no longer trust the seller and did not feel comfortable sending the watch back, as there is no guarantee that she would have sent me back my money, once the watch was received back to the seller she may have blamed me for the damages and issued me a partial refund.

I simply could not take that chance.
Old 8 April 2021, 10:32 PM   #47
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Not sure who’d ever deal with this seller again or why there wasn’t a ban from selling on the forum. In this environment with this issue, not fit to be selling in my view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Closed Thread