The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 May 2021, 04:33 AM   #61
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBD View Post
I don't think Rolex is absurd, I think their watches are great.

I do think the environment is absurd, but how much of that is Rolex's fault is up for debate.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 04:55 AM   #62
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack1978 View Post
With that said does anyone else think the various games that are played to allow one the high honor and privilege to buy a Rolex is simply absurd?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seddyspaghetti View Post
Rolex isn’t absurd. The demand is.
Absolutely, +1 on both. (Would that be +2?)

Honestly, the idea of spending $9K on a mass production stainless steel watch is absurd, if you think about it rationally. We all justify it because we know how well made these watches are, their beauty and quality. But it's still ridiculous, if we're honest with ourselves. Of course, it doesn't matter, because we deserve it. LOL

However, 10K is about the limit for me. I'm not buying any of these things at "market prices". I'm wearing my $3700 Tudor right now, and I honestly like it as much if not more than most of my past Rolexes. I've got a microbrand coming back from service today that cost me less than $2K. I like that one pretty good too. There are a lot of options out there, and right now, Rolex just isn't one of them for me.

Not to say if (when) my AD calls me to say that my Pepsi has arrived, that I won't buy it at MSRP. But I'm not going to play any games to get it.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 05:03 AM   #63
Innocenti
"TRF" Member

Rolex used to be ‘Elvis cool’
Now it’s ‘Cheese burger Las Vegas Elvis’ and everyone wants to add extra fries
Innocenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 05:23 AM   #64
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
This.

If demand wasn't so high, the display cases would be fully stocked with all the models.

Same thing is going on right now with the new Corvette Stingray C8. It's virtually impossible to get one at MSRP. People are waiting months and spending well over $100,000 for a car that lists at around $85,000. If the car wasn't so popular, and demand wasn't so high, you'd be able to walk into a dealership and buy one today with the usual 7 to 10% discount that you get on every other car.
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 05:23 AM   #65
XtraCrispy
"TRF" Member

Watch: me closely!
I guess what I'm missing here is the responses saying "AD's don't want to sell to flippers".

If AD's aren't selling to flippers - where are the Gray's getting their new stock from???
Rolex Submariner TT 116613LB • Tudor 1926 41mm M91650-0005 • Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY201B.FT6150 • Oris Artelier Date OR733-7670-4051LS • Luminox XS.3505.SC • Alpina AlpinerX AL-283LNO5NAQ6L • Steinhart GMT-OCEAN 1 BLUE RED.2 • Casio G Shock GW-5000-1JF
XtraCrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 05:51 AM   #66
SaddleSC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post

Honestly, the idea of spending $9K on a mass production stainless steel watch is absurd, if you think about it rationally. We all justify it because we know how well made these watches are, their beauty and quality. But it's still ridiculous, if we're honest with ourselves. Of course, it doesn't matter, because we deserve it. LOL

However, 10K is about the limit for me. I'm not buying any of these things at "market prices". I'm wearing my $3700 Tudor right now, and I honestly like it as much if not more than most of my past Rolexes. I've got a microbrand coming back from service today that cost me less than $2K. I like that one pretty good too. There are a lot of options out there, and right now, Rolex just isn't one of them for me.
I agree with this completely. The "absurdity" of Rolex demand has been one of the best things that has ever happened in my watch collecting. I have owned nearly every model Rolex at one time or another and still have four of them, but now that the market prices are so ridiculous, it has been the catalyst for me to discover other brands like Omega, Tudor, Sinn, Doxa, etc., that I enjoy equally as much, and in many cases more than my Rolex watches.
Old 15 May 2021, 05:53 AM   #67
LC23
"TRF" Member

its an love or hate relationship... if the watches were readily available and have 10 Daytonas in each AD, than Rolex wouldn't be Rolex and we probably wouldn't have this forum.
LC23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 05:55 AM   #68
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Quote:
That says it all..
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 01:47 PM   #69
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC23 View Post
its an love or hate relationship... if the watches were readily available and have 10 Daytonas in each AD, than Rolex wouldn't be Rolex and we probably wouldn't have this forum.
For sure but then again, years ago when this forum was started, Rolex was easily available and yet Rolex was still Rolex. That's the hard pill to swallow for those of us who remember those days before Instagram.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2021, 08:40 PM   #70
Robine
Banned

Hey OP!

Great topic, I fully understand the problem.

What is your view, how should this be resolved?

- Should Rolex make more watches?
- If not, how should dealers allocate their stock?

Curious to hear your view.
Robine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2021, 09:16 PM   #71
blargle
Banned

Quote:
this is naive - if you think Rolex aren't constraining supply, you are very much mistaken, just look at the mistakes of other 'designer' brands.
blargle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2021, 09:30 PM   #72
3 Putt
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
So move on to other brands, I love Omega, FPJ, Panerai, Bvlgari, Cartier.....

This is the best thing to happen to the timepiece industry imho and I thank Rolex for understanding and helping others thrive.
Exactly this. I have bought two Omega's in the past 6 weeks. I was at the Panerai Boutique in the Houston Galleria mall a few days ago. Unbelievable customer service. They spent a lot of time discussing their brand and the watch industry. But most of all, very well informed about their product. And they thanked me for visiting and sent me a follow up email.

I too think this over-inflated watch hype is good for the industry. And it would appear independent brands are getting more noticed.
Old 16 May 2021, 09:54 PM   #73
superspectral
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
Same thing is going on right now with the new Corvette Stingray C8. It's virtually impossible to get one at MSRP. People are waiting months and spending well over $100,000 for a car that lists at around $85,000. If the car wasn't so popular, and demand wasn't so high, you'd be able to walk into a dealership and buy one today with the usual 7 to 10% discount that you get on every other car.
Car dealers are not forced to sell at MSRP so there is probably very little to no Corvette "flipping" going on. And a 6 month used C8 is probably selling for less than what a dealer can get for it (if perchance it goes up for sale). There is a vintage collectible car market *but* a C8 is not that yet.

Chevy dealers are not luxury outfits and are not selling luxury product. IMHO their product is much nicer than it was 20 years ago but their cars are aimed at the average consumer. The Corvette is a halo performance product meant to catch the eye and bring in customers. The kids look at it while dad buys a Silverado - at below MSRP.
superspectral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2021, 09:57 PM   #74
Parapraxis
"TRF" Member

Welcome to the real world
Parapraxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2021, 10:41 PM   #75
RKTINC1
"TRF" Member

Rolex is the only company on Earth that would not raise retail prices to reflect the actual consumer demand. Not sure how this exists, but it does. Rolex could increase retail prices and solve most of this gray market issue, but they seem to have discovered a way to move their slow selling inventory / production to the aftermarket. I can't think of any other company in this situation.
RKTINC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2021, 10:42 PM   #76
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtraCrispy View Post
If AD's aren't selling to flippers - where are the Gray's getting their new stock from???
ADs do their best to vet and qualify customers.

Sometimes, their preferred customers are actually the ones who decide to flip a few pieces. (Yes, plenty of TRFers do this.)

Other times, hot pieces are sold with less desirable ones, and customers or brokers offload them for profit.

The strength of pricing in the secondary market increases the incentive for customers to flip their new Pepsi for an $8,000 profit... when helps fuel the surge in the demand through the primary market (ADs).
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2021, 11:15 PM   #77
Francist
Banned

Watch: 116500LN
OP is sour because he's number 98765th on the waiting list.
I've worn a number of other watch brands & let me say this, Rolex is the most reliable watch. I have never ever sent a single Rolex for repair due to mechanical failure.

I've sent JLC & IWC & Tag for repairs and each time they cost 30-40% value of the watch. Ouch. Thousands of $ poof. No i will never ever buy them again.
Heard the same story with AP & PP from my circle of friends. They bleed u dry with "labour cost" repair.
Francist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2021, 12:31 AM   #78
TTbluesy
Banned

Quote:
Hi everyone,
I am a casual visitor here and I drop in to stay in the loop because I ultimately want to but my grail watch, the GMT.
With that said does anyone else think the various games that are played to allow one the high honor and privilege to buy a Rolex is simply absurd? The idea of building "relationships" with AD's and buying in ones local region, etc seems ludicrous to simply buy a watch. Is it really fun to play the game or am I missing something?
I look at the prices on David SW's page and I am simply astonished that people will pay double the MSRP to get a GMT ASAP. I don't need the watch that badly, so I am out of the game at the moment but it is really eye opening.

People are flush w cash right now due to being locked down and a screaming stock market.

Things will correct. But nothings worth waiting for as time is much more priceless than any marked up Rolex. Certainly nothing to get upset about.

Buy what you want if you can afford it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TTbluesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2021, 12:49 AM   #79
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post

Not to say if (when) my AD calls me to say that my Pepsi has arrived, that I won't buy it at MSRP. But I'm not going to play any games to get it.

Great philosophy. If you’re into watches and not the hype it’s a great time to be an enthusiast. If you just want the white Daytona, Pepsi, blue sky dweller, hulk then you’re kind of part of the problem.

Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2021, 01:29 AM   #80
~Haze~
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fskywalker View Post
Agree with you, very silly to pay 2-3x retail prices for the hot pieces

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes exactly. When I was a kid, a hot piece meant you payed 1/3.

~Haze~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2021, 01:51 AM   #81
Oystersteel92
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi everyone,
I am a casual visitor here and I drop in to stay in the loop because I ultimately want to but my grail watch, the GMT.
With that said does anyone else think the various games that are played to allow one the high honor and privilege to buy a Rolex is simply absurd? The idea of building "relationships" with AD's and buying in ones local region, etc seems ludicrous to simply buy a watch. Is it really fun to play the game or am I missing something?
I look at the prices on David SW's page and I am simply astonished that people will pay double the MSRP to get a GMT ASAP. I don't need the watch that badly, so I am out of the game at the moment but it is really eye opening.
The demand is absurd, and the branding is absurd these days (but I think that about many other products in the social media flex era in which we live), but what is most certainly not absurd is the product. The engineering and production quality that goes into their watches is still there, and what they made their reputation on. As long as that continues, I'll continue to love Rolex.
Oystersteel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2021, 03:52 AM   #82
drfrankenstein
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC23 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendota View Post
For sure but then again, years ago when this forum was started, Rolex was easily available and yet Rolex was still Rolex. That's the hard pill to swallow for those of us who remember those days before Instagram.

The opposite is also true. The high demand means also means you don't have time to decide or perseverate on a watch. You can try it on once an AD calls you but you probably don't have more than 2-3 days to decide. I would guess this forces people to buy and feeds the cycle, though there is no way to know.
drfrankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2021, 03:59 AM   #83
Robine
Banned

- Should Rolex make more watches?
- If not, how should dealers allocate their stock?
Old 17 May 2021, 06:42 AM   #84
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfrankenstein View Post
The opposite is also true. The high demand means also means you don't have time to decide or perseverate on a watch. You can try it on once an AD calls you but you probably don't have more than 2-3 days to decide. I would guess this forces people to buy and feeds the cycle, though there is no way to know.
Indeed! Isn't that the truth! You literally have to act on the spot. I waited about 4 days from the time my wife tried on the new 34mm blue dial OP she found at my AD until when I emailed them back saying I wanted to get it for her. I was worried it was going to sell in those few days. A 25% deposit made sure we could then take our time getting over there to pick it up. The good news is my AD told us that with OP and DJ models they can order any of those for us, so if it had sold it wouldn't have been a big deal. We just would have had to order it and then wait a bit until we could get another. Can't do that with sports or professional models of course.

Old 17 May 2021, 06:49 AM   #85
D.P.G.
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLNR (2019)
I agree 100% I would never spend time and money building a relationship to acquire a watch nor would I pay more then retail which is already to much. I called and AD and in 3 weeks had a GMT Master ll BLNR. If I had to put in any more effort then a phone call I would wear a Samsung smart watch.
D.P.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2021, 07:46 AM   #86
polaris72
2024 Pledge Member

Have you seen the real estate market?
polaris72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2021, 09:51 AM   #87
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
I agree, that's why I'm fortunate enough to never pay over MSRP or even MSRP for any piece I have owned. You just have to think outside the box and look beyond where everyone else is looking - like the internet where flippers/grays have perfectly curated photos at every angle with a nice price tag to boot. If I were in the market for another one I wouldn't play AD games either but if I had to I would probably do something crazy like put down a full deposit and tell the AD keep the card for a year to separate myself from the crowd, hypeboys, and flippers. Another idea is to wait a bit as it's the worst time to by a Rolex, watch, and many other assets.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2021, 11:53 AM   #88
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Let’s all move onto other brands...........royal oaks and nautilus anybody?????
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2021, 02:29 PM   #89
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myporsche View Post
I agree, that's why I'm fortunate enough to never pay over MSRP or even MSRP for any piece I have owned. You just have to think outside the box and look beyond where everyone else is looking - like the internet where flippers/grays have perfectly curated photos at every angle with a nice price tag to boot. If I were in the market for another one I wouldn't play AD games either but if I had to I would probably do something crazy like put down a full deposit and tell the AD keep the card for a year to separate myself from the crowd, hypeboys, and flippers. Another idea is to wait a bit as it's the worst time to by a Rolex, watch, and many other assets.
My AD said they already retain copies of the card and paperwork for 5 years now for all watches sold for warranty purposes. That idea doesn't work. I tried offering it.

Old 17 May 2021, 02:29 PM   #90
Robine
Banned

It's all so unfair!!