The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 3 May 2021, 11:27 AM   #1
Jsol
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT, AP, DD,
Upcoming Royal Oak 50th Anniversary

Great little piece by Ben Clymer in GQ. The steel RO debuted at $3,600 which was unheard of for a steel watch. I expect the Royal Oaks to skyrocket next year at the half a century mark. What an icon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 3 May 2021, 04:26 PM   #2
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

I sure do wish everyone in the watch game would resume talking about the joy of wearing (and collecting) watches instead of valuations.

The talk of valuation started to heat up big-time in 2019, and now it's gotten absurd. All we talk about is values skyrocketing, etc., etc.

These aren't meant to be investments. Just like cars aren't either.

Wear them. Drive them. Enjoy them.

Invest in stocks, bonds, businesses, heck even crypto.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2021, 06:30 PM   #3
yoast
"TRF" Member

Times are changing - and actually have changed already since late 2017. It seems that many here are not willing to adapt or just don't seem to get it.

There are so many (too many) newcomers to the watch world and many are visiting these open forums, the old rule of wear what you like just doesn't apply to most anymore.

I also like watches and have so for almost 20 years now but I do take into account not taking a bath on the watches I own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I sure do wish everyone in the watch game would resume talking about the joy of wearing (and collecting) watches instead of valuations.

The talk of valuation started to heat up big-time in 2019, and now it's gotten absurd. All we talk about is values skyrocketing, etc., etc.

Old 3 May 2021, 07:01 PM   #4
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Indeed. Times have already changed.

And I'm not a huge fan of it.

Collecting isn't as fun as it used to be, as a result.

These days, every other post I see on Instagram is about "investing in watches."
Old 3 May 2021, 07:34 PM   #5
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I was talking with a friend yesterday about what watch he thought one should wear with a suit, and I told him the dress/sports watch divide has really narrowed in recent years, esp with the advent of forums and SM pronouncing you to do what makes you comfortable etc, I also told him about the old rule of wearing no watch at all with a Tux which seems pretty outdated, so as these rules have relaxed more as society has gotten more free and casual in this tech age, I suppose the enjoyment factor too has changed, and the investment and profit side has sadly become a large part of the watch conversation as well.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 12:35 AM   #6
Alex6340
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, PP 5167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsol View Post
Great little piece by Ben Clymer in GQ. The steel RO debuted at $3,600 which was unheard of for a steel watch. I expect the Royal Oaks to skyrocket next year at the half a century mark. What an icon.

Very nice Yves Klein you’re wearing there

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Old 4 May 2021, 12:50 AM   #7
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Whats the point of the 50th anniversary RO when let's be real only a handful will ever get their hands on one direct from the boutique/house?
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 01:03 AM   #8
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

I completely understand your sentiment, but let’s also not forget how lucky we are to be in the .5% to afford a steel watch that’s priced like a car. (While we ogle at the .3% that gets allocated the watches. Ha!)
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 08:54 AM   #9
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
I completely understand your sentiment, but let’s also not forget how lucky we are to be in the .5% to afford a steel watch that’s priced like a car. (While we ogle at the .3% that gets allocated the watches. Ha!)
Haha I’m indeed grateful! To be able to continue buying watches during times like this is certainly a blessing. My sourness stems from being unable to buy a 15407ST from the boutique
Old 4 May 2021, 10:40 AM   #10
Jsol
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex6340 View Post
Very nice Yves Klein you’re wearing there

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Thank you!

Old 4 May 2021, 10:44 AM   #11
Jsol
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Yes I def agree. Though the valuation talk started well before 2019. After the Paul Newman Daytona auction of 17 is when I felt it get nutty. Now, even last year I bought 3 steel Royal Oaks from the boutique. Now it’s just impossible. But ya the talk gets boring.

Old 5 May 2021, 03:43 AM   #12
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
thats nice!
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2021, 06:03 AM   #13
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
Haha I’m indeed grateful! To be able to continue buying watches during times like this is certainly a blessing. My sourness stems from being unable to buy a 15407ST from the boutique
I hear you. I’m told not even 500k USD purchase history in the last few years is good enough to crack allocation on a 15407ST.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2021, 08:03 AM   #14
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I hear you. I’m told not even 500k USD purchase history in the last few years is good enough to crack allocation on a 15407ST.
And I’ve been told it’s got nothing to do with spend history but more about the relationship LOL
It’s all about the spend history - more manipulation on the hope of getting something I feel
Mini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2021, 08:40 AM   #15
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah...I honestly don't really know where to go with AP at this point...not too keen on the 15202 and also unlikely to be sold one. So either 15407 or QP but those are even more impossible

Either gonna add a black or blue 15500 and call it a day tbh with AP.

Some will ask why not CODE.... there are other more attractive options at that price point. Particularly with Rolex and PP. May even be a Richard Mille RM23 if I'm willing to stretch the budget a little further but that is not for this year.
Old 5 May 2021, 08:43 AM   #16
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini2 View Post
And I’ve been told it’s got nothing to do with spend history but more about the relationship LOL
It’s all about the spend history - more manipulation on the hope of getting something I feel
Nothing screams RELATIONSHIP than MONEY SPENT
That's the name of the game these days unfortunately. Hence why it is important to buy the pieces you like to avoid being disappointed if they eventually fail to give you the pieces you wanted
Old 5 May 2021, 06:56 PM   #17
Reign
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah...I honestly don't really know where to go with AP at this point...not too keen on the 15202 and also unlikely to be sold one. So either 15407 or QP but those are even more impossible

Either gonna add a black or blue 15500 and call it a day tbh with AP.

Some will ask why not CODE.... there are other more attractive options at that price point. Particularly with Rolex and PP. May even be a Richard Mille RM23 if I'm willing to stretch the budget a little further but that is not for this year.

Quote:

The 500k threshold is not true. It’s entirely SA based.. you’ll need a six figure buying history but it’s not remotely that high and does comes down to relationship
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2021, 08:40 PM   #18
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign View Post
The 500k threshold is not true. It’s entirely SA based.. you’ll need a six figure buying history but it’s not remotely that high and does comes down to relationship
Seconded.
GS93108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2021, 09:44 PM   #19
AperolSpritz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS93108 View Post
Seconded.
Thirded
AperolSpritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2021, 10:27 PM   #20
kimwizzzuuu
"TRF" Member

Quote:

My recently own experience is 200k. This doesn’t mean if you get 200k worth of royal oak would get you the 15407st allocation.
kimwizzzuuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2021, 11:07 PM   #21
GS93108
"TRF" Member

I've never lusted after a 15202 (other than the IP model - only because I loved the blue dial), partly because it's too 'simple' for me and partly because it's too 'delicate', but nevertheless I appreciate it. However, if I was fortunate enough to be offered one I'd decline and 'save' my goodwill with AP for something that I really want.

I look forward to next year to see what AP launch but not especially due to it being the bday of the RO and the re-hash of the 15202.

There's no question the jumbo is awesome, but a lot of its awesomeness these days is the awesome secondary price tag, to me that's no way to judge something, it either sings to you like a siren or it doesn't.
GS93108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2021, 06:52 PM   #22
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
Quote:
I've never lusted after a 15202 (other than the IP model - only because I loved the blue dial), partly because it's too 'simple' for me and partly because it's too 'delicate', but nevertheless I appreciate it. However, if I was fortunate enough to be offered one I'd decline and 'save' my goodwill with AP for something that I really want.

I look forward to next year to see what AP launch but not especially due to it being the bday of the RO and the re-hash of the 15202.

There's no question the jumbo is awesome, but a lot of its awesomeness these days is the awesome secondary price tag, to me that's no way to judge something, it either sings to you like a siren or it doesn't.
Very well said, Gary.
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2021, 07:15 PM   #23
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ironically, for me, that's what makes it less awesome.
Old 6 May 2021, 07:35 PM   #24
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ironically, for me, that's what makes it less awesome.
I think the price is awesome if one were to own the watch direct from the boutique or AD. Appreciating assets are always something to be loved.

What is disgraceful is the opaqueness of the transaction, the forced bundles to get the watch, the low balling of the greys followed by the subsequent reselling of it at high margins.
Old 6 May 2021, 07:38 PM   #25
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think the price is awesome if one were to own the watch direct from the boutique or AD. Appreciating assets are always something to be loved.

What is disgraceful is the opaqueness of the transaction, the forced bundles to get the watch, the low balling of the greys followed by the subsequent reselling of it at high margins.
Not for me. Not when it's bubble-like.

I like to know my "things" retain value, but I don't want my non-vintage watch to triple in "value" on this crazy market.

It makes me want to wear them less, enjoy them less. It makes me paranoid since I can't easily replace them.

I like to wear my watches. I don't like to shrink wrap them and leave them in the box.

That said, I do agree with your statements.
Old 6 May 2021, 09:30 PM   #26
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not for me. Not when it's bubble-like.

I like to know my "things" retain value, but I don't want my non-vintage watch to triple in "value" on this crazy market.

It makes me want to wear them less, enjoy them less. It makes me paranoid since I can't easily replace them.

I like to wear my watches. I don't like to shrink wrap them and leave them in the box.

That said, I do agree with your statements.
Oh well. Unlikely I will benefit from the bubble anyway haha. It’s all paper worth at this point as I’m not selling my watches. The hassle and danger to sell direct to a buyer or the insane low-ball offers from greys who think that I am a moron felt absolutely insulting. I would agree that the difficulty in replacing the watches take away the carefree feeling of wearing one. But at least the wife will not kick a fuss when I buy a watch
Old 7 May 2021, 10:18 PM   #27
m3jasper
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign View Post
Quote:
Seconded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AperolSpritz View Post
Thirded
Fourthed.
Quote:
Agreed 100%. Most people just want one because of what asking prices are from grey market dealers.

5-6 years ago they were sitting at boutiques and people wouldn't want them.
m3jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 12:14 AM   #28
911AP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3jasper View Post
Fourthed.

Agreed 100%. Most people just want one because of what asking prices are from grey market dealers.

Facts. I was holding off getting a jumbo after I got a few other APs for this very reason. But as prices have been skyrocketed I changed my plans and got it from the boutique last year.

I had the same mentality about the nautilus though that one I have no shot at getting. I still regret not buying a 5711r at retail when I had the chance 2 years ago :(. Should have just sold the APs I had at the time to fund it.
911AP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 04:05 PM   #29
karasus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Royal Oak
Quote:
Fourthed.

The 15202st is an awesome watch at retail price. Even before the rising run which started in 2016 15202 (new) was a 1 year wait. You could get one with a small discount 2nd hand but not much.
karasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 04:10 PM   #30
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Fourthed.

Yup. That's what causes bubbles. :(

I miss those days.

Watches are not crypto!