The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 11 May 2021, 10:52 PM   #31
etp095
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsomeMike View Post
Where is the cheapest place to get a service dial? Internet searches pull up dials in the $2k-$3k range. Can you recommend a place for service dials or at the very least one that looks super damn close to original that wont break the bank? Thanks again for your help!
Like I said above, your best is sending it to the Rolex service center, a replacement service dial will only be a few hundred bucks. That plus the service cost, if they work on your watch, you should be under $1500, if you don’t get the bracelet replaced. Another route would be a authorized dealer with an in-house watchmaker, they will have access to all the parts available to service your watch. If you go the authorized service route, any original parts replaced will not be returned to you.
pepsi gmt for dad(D)
polar expy II(z)
1675 gmt circa 68'
ladies datejust on jubilee for mom (z)
sea dweller16600(M)
SS Sub-C(g)
Omega Planet Ocean,45.5 on mesh(2500D)
etp095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 10:59 PM   #32
Swearengen
"TRF" Member

If you can let us know the first few digits of the serial number we can determine what dial options would be appropriate. If it is from '69 its not going to be cheap.

Quote:
Where is the cheapest place to get a service dial? Internet searches pull up dials in the $2k-$3k range. Can you recommend a place for service dials or at the very least one that looks super damn close to original that wont break the bank? Thanks again for your help!

1680 1675 16800 16570 16710 17000 16613 17013

Gone but not forgotten 16610LV 1016
Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 11:54 PM   #33
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etp095 View Post
Like I said above, your best is sending it to the Rolex service center, a replacement service dial will only be a few hundred bucks. That plus the service cost, if they work on your watch, you should be under $1500, if you don’t get the bracelet replaced. Another route would be a authorized dealer with an in-house watchmaker, they will have access to all the parts available to service your watch. If you go the authorized service route, any original parts replaced will not be returned to you.
where are you getting this information from? a replacement service dial from rolex for a "few hundred dollars".... seriously?! lets not get the OP's hopes up by giving unsubstantiated quotes like this. I'm happy to be corrected of course.
alwayshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 01:02 AM   #34
HandsomeMike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swearengen View Post
If you can let us know the first few digits of the serial number we can determine what dial options would be appropriate. If it is from '69 its not going to be cheap.
I’d love to but the case between the lugs was polished. Only some of the letters spelling stainless steel remain. I had to clean the crap out of the top side between lugs to reveal some of registered design and 1680.

AD said they won’t touch it because the dial isn’t right. Another watchmaker said he’d do any work I need but can’t find me a dial not it the expensive range that I’ve found and said I could send it to RSC myself and they will quote me for the work. I had another watchmaker that used to be the Nashville AD open the case and he verified it has a 1575 movement. He also noted the dial had obviously been repainted.

I did find what is supposed to be a new 1680 genuine crystal online for $199 I believe it was. Does that sound right? Everything else on these darn things seem to be minimum $1k. Lol! I’ll try to get some more pics up today after work.
HandsomeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 01:33 AM   #35
JustinK
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1530,1665,1680
I recently replaced the dial and hands on my 5513 with luminova service parts and it cost me $1000 for the parts. I bought the parts here on TRF and also on the Vintage Rolex Marketplace.
An independent watch maker should be able to install the parts for about $100 if you don’t need service. If you service the watch swapping the parts would be included for the cost of the movement service.

Last I heard Rolex was charging $500 for a dial and a couple hundred for a set of hands. The movement service cost could easily be $1000 on top of the dial and hands.

JustinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 03:46 AM   #36
HandsomeMike
"TRF" Member

See attached
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (75.5 KB, 363 views)
Old 12 May 2021, 03:52 AM   #37
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Any photo of the inside of the caseback? If it's early enough, it will have a date.
Old 12 May 2021, 04:13 AM   #38
HandsomeMike
"TRF" Member

Look who figured out how to reduce photo size!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (108.9 KB, 361 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (180.7 KB, 362 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (198.7 KB, 360 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (212.5 KB, 360 views)
Old 12 May 2021, 04:45 AM   #39
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

If there is great sentimental value, then having it fully restored would be an option. It doesn’t have to be the Rolex Service Center.

If it was my family member’s heirloom being passed down to me (even with the challenge like refinished dial) and I was expecting to pass it down again some (or many) years hence, then I’d have it restored right.

Contact Phillip Ridley or Bob Ridley. A period correct authentic dial may be costly but $$$ don’t equal sentimental value to me.

It’s up to you.

I’d ignore the “challenged” keyboard warriors who are intent on spreading bile due to their own pitiful state of affairs. Welcome to TRF!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 05:18 AM   #40
GeoffEff
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
If there is great sentimental value, then having it fully restored would be an option. It doesn’t have to be the Rolex Service Center.

If it was my family member’s heirloom being passed down to me (even with the challenge like refinished dial) and I was expecting to pass it down again some (or many) years hence, then I’d have it restored right.

Contact Phillip Ridley or Bob Ridley. A period correct authentic dial may be costly but $$$ don’t equal sentimental value to me.

It’s up to you.

I’d ignore the “challenged” keyboard warriors who are intent on spreading bile due to their own pitiful state of affairs. Welcome to TRF!

to this reply and welcome!

Explorer 39mm 214270 --- Sub 41mm 124060 —-
GeoffEff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 06:21 AM   #41
HandsomeMike
"TRF" Member

Thanks folks! I do love the watch and plan to wear the heck out of it. I'll keep my eye out for a "reasonably" priced dial and pull the trigger at some point. There is a watchmaker in the Nashville area that I talked to yesterday who will do tune ups, seals, new crystal, water pressure test, etc. that I plan to work with.
Old 12 May 2021, 07:41 AM   #42
77T

Inherited a Submariner. Anything rare about it?

Quote:
I'll keep my eye out for a "reasonably" priced dial and pull the trigger at some point.

A word about that…a true original, authentic and untouched correct dial will unlikely be reasonably priced (relative to the market).
Just be very careful as you shop and use a very detailed vetting.
Good luck in your quest.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 07:55 AM   #43
etp095
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayshere View Post
where are you getting this information from? a replacement service dial from rolex for a "few hundred dollars".... seriously?! lets not get the OP's hopes up by giving unsubstantiated quotes like this. I'm happy to be corrected of course.
Just called the RSC in Dallas, new 1680 dial $450. I guess I was off a few hundred bucks. Still much better that the few thousand that’s been being tossed around to him.
pepsi gmt for dad(D)
polar expy II(z)
1675 gmt circa 68'
sea dweller16600(M)
SS Sub-C(g)
Old 12 May 2021, 07:58 AM   #44
Dr.Smellody
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Just called the RSC in Dallas, new 1680 dial $450. I guess I was off a few hundred bucks. Still much better that the few thousand that’s been being tossed around to him.
Wow!!!!! I'd be all over that!!!!
Dr.Smellody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 07:59 AM   #45
HandsomeMike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Can you order them or do you have to have RSC do the swap?
Old 12 May 2021, 08:01 AM   #46
etp095
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Can you order them or do you have to have RSC do the swap?
You can’t order parts, you have to send in the watch. Then they keep the original parts. Service is $750, set of hands $100, from my recent conversation within a few minutes ago.
pepsi gmt for dad(D)
polar expy II(z)
1675 gmt circa 68'
sea dweller16600(M)
SS Sub-C(g)
Old 12 May 2021, 08:06 AM   #47
HandsomeMike
"TRF" Member

Would they do just the dial swap? I don’t want new hands and my local watchmaker would service everything else cheaper. He used to have a parts account but told me they indies lost there accounts in 2019. At least a lot of them did according to him.
Old 12 May 2021, 08:07 AM   #48
HandsomeMike
"TRF" Member

Curious too, what would a service dial do for the value of my watch being as it has an incorrect dial?
Old 12 May 2021, 08:13 AM   #49
etp095
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Would they do just the dial swap? I don’t want new hands and my local watchmaker would service everything else cheaper. He used to have a parts account but told me they indies lost there accounts in 2019. At least a lot of them did according to him.
Rolex will suggest new parts, but if they deem the parts could cause damage to the movement, ie flaking tritium, etc, then they don’t give you a choice in the matter. You either get the suggested new parts or they send back the watch to you, non serviced . Some things are optional, like a bracelet, some aren’t. Obviously the official service center will be the most expensive option, but a Rolex is an expensive watch, that will last a lifetime if properly served.
pepsi gmt for dad(D)
polar expy II(z)
1675 gmt circa 68'
sea dweller16600(M)
SS Sub-C(g)
Old 12 May 2021, 08:26 AM   #50
baumare
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1675/8
Quote:
Very interesting, thank you for doing the home work for us!

To the opener, you may don't care much about it but if you're willing to spend the money and Rolex accept your watch to do the work, they will also give you a warranty so you will have some kind of documentation that maybe could come handy one day
baumare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 08:26 AM   #51
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes but thats in exchange for a legit dial to begin with. The refinish dial to RSC will either be 1) they won't touch it period or 2) charge the OP for the costs of a brand new dial at full freight (its going to be more than $450 I guarantee it). Saying that, take your point that is not too bad if you are exchanging dials.
Old 12 May 2021, 08:42 AM   #52
Tom1675
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Curious too, what would a service dial do for the value of my watch being as it has an incorrect dial?
The dial you have is not really of any value so getting a replacement dial would improve it a little. That said, you're not selling this so its moot.

IMHO, Find a dial in good shape and have it dropped in with a service. Put watch on your wrist and don't take it off for as long as possible. Pass on to the next gen. Repeat.
Tom1675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 09:32 AM   #53
emersm

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
The cost for my red submariner service dial was $1,375.00 in 2018.

If the original dial has been altered, there is a chance that RSC will not service the watch.

My dial was original with some black paint added to conceal where the paint had flaked off of the dial, due to water damage. I was told originally that they would not service the watch because the dial had been altered.
emersm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 09:52 AM   #54
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom1675 View Post
The dial you have is not really of any value so getting a replacement dial would improve it a little. That said, you're not selling this so its moot.

IMHO, Find a dial in good shape and have it dropped in with a service. Put watch on your wrist and don't take it off for as long as possible. Pass on to the next gen. Repeat.
Lets not be naive.... more than half the new members here talking about "keeping it as a family heirloom" is just hot air.

It will just be sold when the parts come together. Nothing wrong with that of course but rather not breath in the BS.
Old 12 May 2021, 09:58 AM   #55
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
See attached
Yikes... no serial may also be an issue....
Old 12 May 2021, 10:19 AM   #56
HandsomeMike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayshere View Post
Yikes... no serial may also be an issue....
I know. Wasn’t too thrilled about that. Looks to have been polished. Good thing I’m not selling, regardless of what other replies say since they know me and all.
Old 12 May 2021, 10:59 AM   #57
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
I dont think Rolex will reject servicing the watch because of the dial. They will just make it mandatory to replace it. The issue really, is the wiped serial number in my opinion.
swaini3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 11:05 AM   #58
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
OP,
If you decide to source the parts outside of Rolex, I suggest doing it from someone reputable, plus doing your own homework on dials etc as well. Hate to see you trying to fix something and get cheated.
swaini3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 11:35 AM   #59
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
I think it wasn’t answered so just to clarify, Rolex won’t replace the dial or anything else without the full service. I think that is moot, however, because I really doubt they will service this based on the dial and the wiped serial.

I remember one of the Ridleys posted a dial that was refinished at some point and he was able to reveal the original underneath by removing the top layer. A long shot, but a possibility!
Styles Bitchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 11:40 AM   #60
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styles Bitchley View Post
I think it wasn’t answered so just to clarify, Rolex won’t replace the dial or anything else without the full service. I think that is moot, however, because I really doubt they will service this based on the dial and the wiped serial.

I remember one of the Ridleys posted a dial that was refinished at some point and he was able to reveal the original underneath by removing the top layer. A long shot, but a possibility!
ooo yeah! that was incredible... worth exploring!