The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 7 May 2021, 11:14 PM   #1
JParm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
Opinion - people worry too much about condition

Nothing groundbreaking, but just something that I've come to realize since recently receiving my 16800, referenced in this post:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=799709

We see a lot of questions about whether watches have been polished or not, and I'm of the opinion that most Rolexes in their lifetime will go through a polish - and that's perfectly ok! Blows my mind when I see people stress about it on the modern forum, no less...

From the comments in the thread above, you can see that some wouldn't touch my watch, as the lugs look to have gone through a polish that might not have been standard for this case. I actually love the look of them!

Obviously, correct Rolex parts and having lugs that don't have spring bars protruding are one thing. And if you're here for the investment game, I guess I understand why you'd want the pristine, unpolished watch with B&P...but let's be honest, these aren't really rare things. The market has just inflated prices at this point.

When I bought my 16710 pre-owned in 2011, I didn't even think about polish - I saw an awesome watch with B&P at a great price. Didn't know it at the time, but the lugs are a bit thinner from polishing than they should be. A decade later, and I absolutely love the thin lugs when compared to my Hulk. Not an investment piece, just something to pass along to the kiddos.

Sorry for the long post, but the takeaway is if you're here to wear your watches, as I do (Hulk goes swimming, DD40 goes on vacation with me, etc.), then it's ok if the watch you're looking to purchase isn't the perfect Sub selling at auction. Make sure it's not a franken, otherwise if you love it - go for it!

Old 7 May 2021, 11:45 PM   #2
Acidstain
"TRF" Member

Well, a major part of it is nowadays, people are paying a premium for these watches, so it’s understandable that they want it as perfect as they can get.

10 years ago, a used rolex is probably what, 50-70% of that years retail price? Now a used rolex is pretty much = to retail price, or more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Acidstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 12:53 AM   #3
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

The modern hype and new collectors make me want to grab the last two Rolex i want and stick strictly to vintage.

I’m with you, i feel that nearly all vintage/non modern Rolex are polished, regardless of what dealers say. It’s not that i don’t believe them but 20+ years is a long time for a watch not to have seen a little bit of a polish. I like box, papers and the best condition i can find for the money allotted. If it’s polished, fine. I won’t polish any watch i buy new, but understandably it’s extremely difficult to find unpolished in the vintage world.

Watch looks great by the way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 01:15 AM   #4
Knappo 1307

Watch: Sea Dweller
I'd take both your watches Jess, in a second. Wear them in good health, all the other chatter is just that.....
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 01:33 AM   #5
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Actually, for me, the condition of watches has become an increasingly important criterion as the years have passed and my thinking has gradually evolved as a collector. In fact, I will often buy a vintage watch that wasn't even really on my radar, just because the condition is amazing and I know that I will enjoy owning it. I will even pay a premium for it.

Unlike the OP, who says that "people worry too much about condition", I'm not telling anyone else how to think, or criticizing them for the way they think. I'm just explaining my own feelings on the topic. We all have different priorities, and I'm not trying to justify mine or tell other people that they're wrong.
Old 8 May 2021, 01:57 AM   #6
DaninFlorida
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Speedy/BB
great watch....i agree on condition, especially the polishing...i'd be more concerned that you are one of the ones that wear their watch incorrectly...you know, past the wrist :)
ha!
DaninFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 01:58 AM   #7
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Like saying in real estate location doesn’t matter....nice 16800 btw
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 02:00 AM   #8
HarryLime
"TRF" Member

Couldn't disagree more. Condition is paramount.
HarryLime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 02:06 AM   #9
Heater3000
"TRF" Member

condition is paramount for flippers and collectors.. not for those of us that just want to enjoy them and wear them.. and its not like many of us are wearing a Rolex that looks like junk
Heater3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 02:08 AM   #10
HarryLime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heater3000 View Post
condition is paramount for flippers and collectors.. not for those of us that just want to enjoy them and wear them.. and its not like many of us are wearing a Rolex that looks like junk
Are collectors not those of us who also enjoy wearing them?
HarryLime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 02:10 AM   #11
linesiders

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
Condition how it relates to value is important. To overpay for an underwhelming piece is a problem and too many people ask & expect too much for underwhelming pieces. To pay fair market for a ridden hard but loveable & great looking piece is wonderful.
Old 8 May 2021, 02:46 AM   #12
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

I think any vintage collector will value condition as a main criteria..... But sure if you just want a watch on your wrist to enjoy and you don't know the difference with correctness, case shape, dial nuances etc....buy the cheapest one you can find and off you go. Most would agree though once you see it/understand it... You can't go back... Ignorance is bliss for sure.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 04:25 AM   #13
uhren917
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=802468

Dial condition certainly matters to this guy when he plunks down his own cash.

I too am certainly going to consider condition such as polishing when other options exist and the vintage purchase ain't free.
uhren917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 04:58 AM   #14
Kingsking
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linesiders View Post
Condition how it relates to value is important. To overpay for an underwhelming piece is a problem and too many people ask & expect too much for underwhelming pieces. To pay fair market for a ridden hard but loveable & great looking piece is wonderful.
Perfectly stated.
Old 8 May 2021, 04:59 AM   #15
Dr.Smellody
"TRF" Member

I agree with the OP.

I always buy the best I can find and afford. I assume a 50 year old watch will have been polished at service.

Not sure if anyone really pays the outrageous prices I see these days. I still find deals, but not $4k 1680 or 5513 anymore .

I do think the word FRANKEN is used way too much and often out of context.
Dr.Smellody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 05:18 AM   #16
newkidonblock4
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
I think any vintage collector will value condition as a main criteria..... But sure if you just want a watch on your wrist to enjoy and you don't know the difference with correctness, case shape, dial nuances etc....buy the cheapest one you can find and off you go. Most would agree though once you see it/understand it... You can't go back... Ignorance is bliss for sure.
I'm still extremely new to Rolex, especially vintage Rolex. However, I think this sums it up.

At first, I found myself finding charm in some of the more beat-up models (and I still think some have unique & pleasing looks). However, once you begin to dive into vintage Rolex, then can't help but notice all these imperfections. And why buy something so expensive that's just going to have you wanting the more collectible example?

I think what makes the biggest difference is how you identify yourself. Do you see yourself as someone who wants to be a collector? In which, you would highly praise condition, originality, and so forth. Or do you just enjoy vintage Rolex?

And to clarify, I'm not calling myself a collector by any means. However, I do want to begin working towards that goal and finding examples that fit the bill.
newkidonblock4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 06:04 AM   #17
Nick9
"TRF" Member

For me, and maybe others, dial condition is WAY ahead of whether a case has been polished. Apart from some examples where the cases have truly been polished out of shape, most “polished” watches are okay with me. Original but worn condition is great, but it’s not something that needs to be obsessed about.

Personally, I would never bother with a machine polish. Watches that people wear attract scratches; it just seem pointless to me to polish them when the next set of scratches is just around the corner.
Nick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 06:09 AM   #18
JParm

Watch: Yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick9 View Post
For me, and maybe others, dial condition is WAY ahead of whether a case has been polished. Apart from some examples where the cases have truly been polished out of shape, most “polished” watches are okay with me. Original but worn condition is great, but it’s not something that needs to be obsessed about.

Personally, I would never bother with a machine polish. Watches that people wear attract scratches; it just seem pointless to me to polish them when the next set of scratches is just around the corner.
Agree with you on dial condition being important - that is something that I won't take a pass on.

I know many here love the "spider" dials, but it just isn't for me. Also, the incredibly damaged dials that some dealers are trying to pass off as special...hard pass. While I do find some of the tropical / chocolate dials attractive, anything other than just screams damaged dial to me.
Old 8 May 2021, 08:13 AM   #19
Heater3000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLime View Post
Are collectors not those of us who also enjoy wearing them?
Opinions opinion
Heater3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 10:14 AM   #20
zapokee
"TRF" Member

I tend to agree with the OP, as long as price reflects condition. If you like it, get it if that's your budget and you're not planning to flip it.

But get the best condition you can afford.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 11:20 AM   #21
MorningTundra
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLime View Post
Couldn't disagree more. Condition is paramount.

Emotional attachment is paramount. Condition is a bonus. For me at least.
MorningTundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 11:43 AM   #22
MorningTundra
"TRF" Member

Whether you’re a passion-collector or a value-collector, nobody wants to overpay or get ripped off whatever the condition. Nobody wants to pay for trash. That’s a given. But there’s much to be said for a collection filled with character pieces. There’s undeniable beauty in wabisabi and kuntsugi. An elite collection of NOS museum pieces are interesting to look at, but precious to wear, and leave some of us cold. To most, my collection will look like a bunch of well worn uncle-watches... perhaps because I’m a well worn uncle with a lot of hard miles on the clock. My watches feel like familiar friends. I keep diverse company and don’t discriminate
Old 8 May 2021, 12:51 PM   #23
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningTundra View Post
kuntsugi
There's no need for that kind of language.

You mean kintsugi - the Japanese art of fixing up broken old cups with gold filling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Kintsugi.jpeg (31.8 KB, 523 views)
Old 8 May 2021, 01:06 PM   #24
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
There's no need for that kind of language.

You mean kintsugi - the Japanese art of fixing up broken old cups with gold filling.
The Japanese language has words that make decay and dodgy patina sound so attractive, even desirable, as to put vintage Rolex dealers and their made-up euphemisms to shame
Old 8 May 2021, 01:34 PM   #25
MorningTundra
"TRF" Member

Opinion - people worry too much about condition

Condition wise, this is all wrong on so many levels, yet irresistible to some perverted deviants... wabisabi dial, kintsugi case
htts://www.tapatalk.com/groups/vinta...o-t266739.html
Old 8 May 2021, 01:34 PM   #26
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
The Japanese language has words that make decay and dodgy patina sound so attractive, even desirable, as to put vintage Rolex dealers and their made-up euphemisms to shame
Kintsugi pottery is a proper Japanese art thing. These pieces fetch high prices with 24K gold filling. #BitOffTopic
Old 8 May 2021, 01:37 PM   #27
stmoore
Banned

Watch: Gilt
Quote:
Said perfectly.
Ignorance is bliss… and expensive when it comes to vintage rolex.

Enjoying an honest but imperfect watch is great (and respected), but losing your way on details is foolish.
stmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 01:40 PM   #28
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmoore View Post
Enjoying an honest but imperfect watch is great
Agree. If you wear it forever, it will eventually be imperfect anyway.
Old 8 May 2021, 05:45 PM   #29
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think any vintage collector will value condition as a main criteria.....
I'd argue second criteria. In the collectors value credo of authenticity, condition and provenance, authenticity surely must come out on top.
arcadelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 07:11 PM   #30
Silver Lobster
"TRF" Member

Watch: S/S 6694
Link not working?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningTundra View Post
Condition wise, this is all wrong on so many levels, yet irresistible to some perverted deviants... wabisabi dial, kintsugi case
htts://www.tapatalk.com/groups/vinta...o-t266739.html
I just get

The address wasn’t understood

Firefox doesn’t know how to open this address, because one of the following protocols (htts) isn’t associated with any program or is not allowed in this context.

You might need to install other software to open this address.