The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 13 May 2021, 06:03 PM   #31
Exiztence
"TRF" Member

There is an article on Bulang and Sons about these with photos of Haywoods personal 5500s, I would do find 10 differences between this example and these watches to determine authenticity:
https://magazine.bulangandsons.com/t...f-the-oysters/
Exiztence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 06:10 PM   #32
1675-David
"TRF" Member

My best 2 tips if you want a real 5500 Explorer:

Tip #1 walk away from any seller who provides images that aren't crystal clear and show all the text on the dial, you will want at least one image of the serial number too

Tip #2 consider a 1016
1675-David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 06:20 PM   #33
ChrisCGG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiztence View Post
There is an article on Bulang and Sons about these with photos of Haywoods personal 5500s, I would do find 10 differences between this example and these watches to determine authenticity:
[
Thanks - I'd actually read this article...but didn't make the connection. The differences are very subtle to the inexperienced eye
ChrisCGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 06:26 PM   #34
ChrisCGG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1675-David View Post
My best 2 tips if you want a real 5500 Explorer:

Tip #1 walk away from any seller who provides images that aren't crystal clear and show all the text on the dial, you will want at least one image of the serial number too

Tip #2 consider a 1016
Ha ha ha....it is possible the seller isn't the best at photography...
I have seen a picture of the serial number, that and the caseback date the watch to 1968.... Obviously the dial is in question however!

Yes.... unfortunately the 5500 looks like a minefield. I'd say about 75% of the examples I have seen either for sale or sold (both privately and via dealer's) look very much like this. I wonder how many real 5500's there are actually out there....?!?

I think I'll pass
ChrisCGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 06:36 PM   #35
vintagetudor
"TRF" Member

All I would say on the matter is :take your time, do as much research as possible, listen to what experts in their fields have to say, buy the seller...good luck in your quest.
vintagetudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 10:36 PM   #36
GST15
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
Bizarre comment. In case you haven't noticed, this forum isn't actually a free drive-by evaluation service and nobody has any obligation to provide their hard-won expertise to a stranger who has never participated previously. It's a community with give and take. Someone who drops in out of the blue and asks for help from experts should probably be grateful for what they receive. Personally, I would be happy and thankful to get opinions in response to my question. And honestly, the OP seems to understand this.
So, you are the judge of what someone's intentions are for asking advice? You are the self proclaimed keeper of "hard -won" expertise? Yea, like I said, get over yourself. "In case YOU haven't noticed" these are watches we are talking about, not atomic bombs. Hopefully, this gentleman gets his answers on his own. I am sure based on his experience here, he will gladly share his knowledge with others. That's it for me... but I am honored that you took the time to respond to my post!
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 10:44 PM   #37
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GST15 View Post
So, you are the judge of what someone's intentions are for asking advice? You are the self proclaimed keeper of "hard -won" expertise? Yea, like I said, get over yourself. "In case YOU haven't noticed" these are watches we are talking about, not atomic bombs. Hopefully, this gentleman gets his answers on his own. I am sure based on his experience here, he will gladly share his knowledge with others. That's it for me... but I am honored that you took the time to respond to my post!
You're welcome.
Old 14 May 2021, 04:12 AM   #38
cardiel
"TRF" Member

The OP is lucky Haywood took the time to consider the watch and give it the thumbs down. His decision to pass on the watch is sensible. The 5500 Explorer is a rare beast....proceed with caution. Oh and do you research!
cardiel is offline   Reply With Quote