The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 May 2021, 12:33 PM   #1
Zack1978
"TRF" Member

Am I alone in thinking that Rolex is absurd?

Hi everyone,
I am a casual visitor here and I drop in to stay in the loop because I ultimately want to but my grail watch, the GMT.
With that said does anyone else think the various games that are played to allow one the high honor and privilege to buy a Rolex is simply absurd? The idea of building "relationships" with AD's and buying in ones local region, etc seems ludicrous to simply buy a watch. Is it really fun to play the game or am I missing something?
I look at the prices on David SW's page and I am simply astonished that people will pay double the MSRP to get a GMT ASAP. I don't need the watch that badly, so I am out of the game at the moment but it is really eye opening.
Zack1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 12:38 PM   #2
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack1978 View Post
Hi everyone,

I am a casual visitor here and I drop in to stay in the loop because I ultimately want to but my grail watch, the GMT.

With that said does anyone else think the various games that are played to allow one the high honor and privilege to buy a Rolex is simply absurd? The idea of building "relationships" with AD's and buying in ones local region, etc seems ludicrous to simply buy a watch. Is it really fun to play the game or am I missing something?

I look at the prices on David SW's page and I am simply astonished that people will pay double the MSRP to get a GMT ASAP. I don't need the watch that badly, so I am out of the game at the moment but it is really eye opening.

Agree with you, very silly to pay 2-3x retail prices for the hot pieces

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 12:38 PM   #3
GBD
"TRF" Member

I don't think Rolex is absurd, I think their watches are great.

I do think the environment is absurd, but how much of that is Rolex's fault is up for debate.
GBD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 12:40 PM   #4
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Rolex isn’t absurd. The demand is.
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 12:40 PM   #5
RolexSimon
"TRF" Member

Numerous posts on this. Just pay x6 for a 5711 instead if you want. You can buy at auction at less than x2 RRP if you do your homework. The more desirable the watch the greater over RRP you pay unfortunately. Not games at all - just market forces at work. If you're a good customer, you get the watch. If you don't want to play the market forces, find a good AD that will put your name on a waiting list for a GST and expect to wait <5 years. ALS now have a 3-year wait even for VIPs who "qualify" to go on the wait list for the steel Odysseus. It's not really that crazy - just for those not used to the changing world we live in where demand >>> supply right now. Try getting a limited production Porsche GT3 or a Ferrari without having bought one before.
RolexSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 12:44 PM   #6
ks58
Banned

The goal of the AD is to avoid flippers, hence the relationship, and to be your go-to jeweler for special moments in your life. Most don’t want to just sell you the hottest watch and then have you disappear. How would the AD afford staff and overhead if it didn’t create great customers for life? Perhaps you have another jeweler where you bought the wife some earrings, tennis bracelet, and engagement ring from. You created some type of relationship with somebody, just not at the AD. We refer to Rolex dealers as AD’s, but they refer to themselves as Jewelers and carry a lot more in stock than just Rolex.
ks58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 12:46 PM   #7
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBD View Post
I don't think Rolex is absurd, I think their watches are great.

I do think the environment is absurd, but how much of that is Rolex's fault is up for debate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seddyspaghetti View Post
Rolex isn’t absurd. The demand is.
That sums it up.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 12:51 PM   #8
ltmgeller
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Simple supply and demand. The demand is much higher than the supply. Luckily Rolex must sell their watches at MSRP otherwise everyone would be paying those crazy prices for the watches they want.
Old 14 May 2021, 12:58 PM   #9
anonymousmoose
"TRF" Member

It is crazy but thats the market for you.

Try for Omega - my personal favourite brand. Their watches are just as nice and some nicer.

And whilst they do make limited and special editions - they make so many they are often (with exceptions) easy to come by - often at a discount.

Old 14 May 2021, 12:58 PM   #10
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Like it or not, Rolex is complicit in the fake demand and associated hype and in my eyes, it tarnishes the brand. It went from being an exceptionally robust tool watch that did its job exceedingly well to a sign of elitism and privilege based upon one's willingness to play AD games (but 5 watches and get the SS) or go gray and spend 2-3x more for a watch that should be far less. This is no sour grapes, I have been fortunate enough to own every Rolex I have wanted. Now, yes Rolex still makes robust watches that can be used as tools, but I don't get the impression that's the market they are going for now with the snobbery and scoffing at folks that walk into the AD (which represents Rolex) looking for a SS watch. Moreover, the changes in Rolex over the years with the exception of the recent Explore I is to make watches that are bloated and blingy so that they show better on the IG. Sorry, not my bag anymore. Rolex is big, but the hype is starting to overshadow the brand and even their history and thats sad.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 01:03 PM   #11
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Hi everyone,
Plenty of absurdity to go around for sure! I’m still trying to figure out my next move. Thrown for a loop at the moment...good post dude!
Old 14 May 2021, 01:31 PM   #12
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
Don’t play games. Just ask your AD to put you on a list and wait. GMTs aren’t that rare if you’re open to different configurations.
thenewrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 01:44 PM   #13
ByzantineFire
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
Like it or not, Rolex is complicit in the fake demand and associated hype and in my eyes, it tarnishes the brand. It went from being an exceptionally robust tool watch that did its job exceedingly well to a sign of elitism and privilege based upon one's willingness to play AD games (but 5 watches and get the SS) or go gray and spend 2-3x more for a watch that should be far less. This is no sour grapes, I have been fortunate enough to own every Rolex I have wanted. Now, yes Rolex still makes robust watches that can be used as tools, but I don't get the impression that's the market they are going for now with the snobbery and scoffing at folks that walk into the AD (which represents Rolex) looking for a SS watch. Moreover, the changes in Rolex over the years with the exception of the recent Explore I is to make watches that are bloated and blingy so that they show better on the IG. Sorry, not my bag anymore. Rolex is big, but the hype is starting to overshadow the brand and even their history and thats sad.
It's certainly hard to get the hottest few pieces. But too many people on this forum like to exaggerate. Every day someone on this forum gets a stainless sub, exp I/II, or SD just by putting in the effort to show they aren't a flipper. Walk in to an AD, build a rapport with a sales rep or preferably floor manager who loves watches, and drop by a few times.

Be a genuine customer, and they will think of you next time that piece comes in. Its not rocket science. If they think of you and like you, you will get the watch.

It certainly doesn't take 5 PM or TT pieces to get anything... except a matching set of white and black Daytona's.
ByzantineFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 03:19 PM   #14
afmars
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByzantineFire View Post
It's certainly hard to get the hottest few pieces. But too many people on this forum like to exaggerate. Every day someone on this forum gets a stainless sub, exp I/II, or SD just by putting in the effort to show they aren't a flipper. Walk in to an AD, build a rapport with a sales rep or preferably floor manager who loves watches, and drop by a few times.

Be a genuine customer, and they will think of you next time that piece comes in. Its not rocket science. If they think of you and like you, you will get the watch.

It certainly doesn't take 5 PM or TT pieces to get anything... except a matching set of white and black Daytona's.
This
afmars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 03:40 PM   #15
Spectre38
"TRF" Member

Watch: and be amazed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
Like it or not, Rolex is complicit in the fake demand and associated hype and in my eyes...
I don't see that there is a fake demand, it seems pretty real to me. If you meant perceived shortage in the availability, that's something entirely different.

I don't believe it's as bad as it is made out to be, but I do believe there are some supply issues due to the current world situation.

Blaming Rolex for the popularity of their product and the lengths to which people will go and the amount they will pay is just silly. People will pay what it is worth to them.
Old 14 May 2021, 03:41 PM   #16
KeobNepo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Quote:

I disagree. The AD, as said above, is not just selling Rolex. It’s a jeweller, an entrepreneur, with the goal to make profit. The guy knows that there are enthousiasts willing to buy non-Rolex items to obtain the certain Rolex. The goal of the AD is to make profit om those guys by selling them other jewellery.

I don’t believe in the honesty of the SA and the story about building a relationship, convince them you are not a flipper. Building a relationship for the AD simply means: spend a lot of cash om other items.

If I were you I would go gray. I really think you’d be better if financially.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KeobNepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 03:46 PM   #17
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
imho the market value of SS rolex watches do not translate to the reasonable value of the watch in the industry

it could be a bubble, artificial whatever the case, It's a turn off for me
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 04:34 PM   #18
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

What's absurd?

Normal

Right now demand greater than supply = longer wait times. If you don't want to wait then you pay

5-6 years ago, demand less than supply = immediately available and could also be found at a discount
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 04:36 PM   #19
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Hi everyone,
It’s only going to get worse, and they’re only going to go further up in price.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 04:46 PM   #20
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Nothing absurd to me. I just bought a Pepsi for 2x retail this week. I may have paid £x, but that’s what it is worth if I ever part with it. I was never going to get one at rrp. Pay to play.
thesharkfactor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 05:41 PM   #21
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Hi everyone,
Well when Rolex watches stop being nothing more than ££££$$$$€€€€ object things to many today, then the trend will continue. Its not so much Rolex its mainly the hype generated by the net and the likes of so called social media. That today makes Rolex must have watches, and to be bought at any price thus making todays owners thinking they have something special and to brag about owning. Then mostly after buying keep in a safe hoping it will prove a big investment, or now they are afraid to wear it just encase it gets the smallest scratch.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 06:00 PM   #22
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well when Rolex watches stop being nothing more than ££££$$$$€€€€ object things to many today, then the trend will continue. Its not so much Rolex its mainly the hype generated by the net and the likes of so called social media. That today makes Rolex must have watches, and to be bought at any price thus making todays owners thinking they have something special and to brag about owning. Then mostly after buying keep in a safe hoping it will prove a big investment, or now they are afraid to wear it just encase it gets the smallest scratch.
I think that’s definitely a part of it, I think I the other part of the demand is simply the money aspect. Everyone now knows you can buy a Rolex at retail and flip it for good money, and so everyone has piled in because of that.

I am now convinced that the majority of Rolex buyers (at retail) are purely in it to make money. That’s how sad the world of watches has become. They’re not watches now, they’re just another form of trading like crypto, NFTs, stocks and whatever else.

Edit: all we need now for true unseen absurdity is for Musk to start tweeting that he will accept your GMTs as payment against a new Tesla. “We Like the Rolex”
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 06:22 PM   #23
stewester
"TRF" Member

As others have said, I think it's the current situation that's absurd more than Rolex themselves. Once it becomes acceptable in (some) people's eyes to pay above MSRP then strange, somewhat unsavoury things start happening. You get people flocking to the brand who previously had very little interest in watches and it becomes less about the watches themselves and more about obtaining hard to get items. Social media has a lot to answer for.
stewester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 06:44 PM   #24
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BoctokKomandirskie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpit View Post

I am now convinced that the majority of Rolex buyers (at retail) are purely in it to make money. That’s how sad the world of watches has become. They’re not watches now, they’re just another form of trading like crypto, NFTs, stocks and whatever else.
Exactly.

And I could further add that the affordability of MSPR of the SS models in the first place, made them an easy target for bottom feeders, seeking speculative instruments to make a quick buck and earn themselves some bragging rights while at it. I don't know how this enhances the brand's image...
But even more disturbing is the fact that people will still mindlessly pay 3x MSRP and further fuel this madness. Then some of them will ferociously defend their overspending with an array of pretexts and clichés while others will overtly try to push an agenda as there's much $$$€€€£££¥¥¥ in Rolex nowadays. This whole travesty of a market has nothing to do with supply and demand in the classic way, or watches for that matter.
minute_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 06:55 PM   #25
GST15
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
Quote:

I agree. A year ago I purchased a YM 40 from AD with no purchase history. Four Rolex watches later (all from same AD), picked up my Submariner on Tuesday.
Finding the right AD and building a relationship of trust is all that is necessary IMHO
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 07:04 PM   #26
Xerxes77
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by seddyspaghetti View Post
rolex isn’t absurd. The demand is.
+1
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 07:52 PM   #27
smg8
Banned

The pretentious dealers, AD games and fact most people buying Rolex now just buy them to make a few £'s has totally put me off the brand.

The idea of working hard to spend money I have already worked hard to make is absurd. As is the idea of "building a relationship" with someone to get them to sell me something.

No intention to sell my GMT which I love, but I've moved on to other brands
smg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 08:14 PM   #28
fooey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Quite a few now!
Other brands starting to reduce stock and strangle availability now like Zenith and even Tudor!
trying to create a false sense of availability and scarceness by copying Rolex!
buy or order your Wishlist watches now before it gets worse!
fooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 08:24 PM   #29
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

I'm just glad that I have the ones I want. It always would be nice to add something, but I am not in the game right now.
Bluside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 08:26 PM   #30
Mksap
"TRF" Member

I think people buying on grey market for twice msrp aren’t crazy, they just have the money. Life is different if your income is 20k or 2k per month. And life is also short, so get what you want when you want :-)
The real problem here are the flippers, not the watch lovers paying over msrp IMO.
Mksap is offline   Reply With Quote