The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 14 May 2021, 09:58 PM   #1
joemcp
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Vibrating sound from watch

Hey All,

I don't post much but would appreciate some help. I have a 2006 16610LV and recently I'm feeling a vibration when moving my arm moves quickly, for example when I was on a run yesterday. This never happened before and almost feels something is spinning faster.

Should I send in for service and/or stop wearing?

Thanks,

Joe
joemcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 10:02 PM   #2
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !

Sounds like a vibration coming from the winding rotor; how long since its last service?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 10:07 PM   #3
joemcp
"TRF" Member

Last service

It's probably been about 8 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fskywalker View Post
Sounds like a vibration coming from the winding rotor; how long since its last service?

Old 14 May 2021, 10:09 PM   #4
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BoctokKomandirskie
Rotor sleeve bearing, most likely. Could possibly get away with lubrication but this is a good opportunity to service the watch.
minute_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 10:11 PM   #5
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Sounds like a service for it in the near future...
Old 14 May 2021, 10:34 PM   #6
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemcp View Post
Hey All,

I don't post much but would appreciate some help. I have a 2006 16610LV and recently I'm feeling a vibration when moving my arm moves quickly, for example when I was on a run yesterday. This never happened before and almost feels something is spinning faster.

Should I send in for service and/or stop wearing?

Thanks,

Joe
This could be the possible problem with your watch, the main Achilles heel in most all of the Rolex 30/31 series movements like the cal 3135 cal 3185/6 is the rotor shaft bearings, and IMHO its the 3 series movements weakest link the rotor winding sleeve bearings. Now these need proper lubrication and its very critical its done correctly with the proper lube, and if it dries out especially in warm climates you will get severe wear in the bearing jewels especially if sat on a machine winder thing 24/7.Looks like to me Rolex has sacrificed a bit in the engineering department for better winding efficiency. IMHO the small diameter winding post don't offer enough support to the rotor weight, but again some go on for decades without service, but many fail for the lack of. But if your rotor does need replacing then you can be 100% sure the movement needs a full service as well as soon as possible.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 10:43 PM   #7
Computantis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
This could be the possible problem with your watch, the main Achilles heel in most all of the Rolex 30/31 series movements like the cal 3135 cal 3185/6 is the rotor shaft bearings, and IMHO its the 3 series movements weakest link the rotor winding sleeve bearings. Now these need proper lubrication and its very critical its done correctly with the proper lube, and if it dries out especially in warm climates you will get severe wear in the bearing jewels especially if sat on a machine winder thing 24/7.Looks like to me Rolex has sacrificed a bit in the engineering department for better winding efficiency. IMHO the small diameter winding post don't offer enough support to the rotor weight, but again some go on for decades without service, but many fail for the lack of. But if your rotor does need replacing then you can be 100% sure the movement needs a full service as well as soon as possible.
Man you are a wealth of knowledge on these forums... where have you learned all of this stuff? I'm always interested in learning more!
Computantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 10:44 PM   #8
Computantis
"TRF" Member

My first thought, like many others here, was the winding rotor. I had a non-Rolex watch that had a similar problem and that's what it was.

If you're sending it into RSC just remember you specify what you do/don't want done to your watch since it is charting in the older category these days.
Old 14 May 2021, 10:57 PM   #9
FTX I
"TRF" Member

I'd have it serviced asap.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 11:23 PM   #10
joemcp
"TRF" Member

This will be the first time I've had it serviced. What would I want them to NOT do based on it's age?

Thanks,

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computantis View Post
My first thought, like many others here, was the winding rotor. I had a non-Rolex watch that had a similar problem and that's what it was.

If you're sending it into RSC just remember you specify what you do/don't want done to your watch since it is charting in the older category these days.
Old 15 May 2021, 02:01 AM   #11
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Computantis View Post
Man you are a wealth of knowledge on these forums... where have you learned all of this stuff? I'm always interested in learning more!
Willing to learn about the history of the brand and the watches doing my own in depth research on the RWC, plus past experience about owning and wearing Rolex watches for over 50 years.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 02:12 AM   #12
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemcp View Post
This will be the first time I've had it serviced. What would I want them to NOT do based on it's age?

If you will use the RSC, I wouldn’t bar them from any part of servicing the watch. Just submit the watch (or mail it) and ask for a service quote.

You will later be contacted with a report on the parts needing replacement, pricing, etc. I would expect the auto-wind assembly to be on that list. Costly. Some replacements will be mandatory to proceed, some will be optional recommended work. For example, they sometimes want to replace an aluminum insert on an LV and some owners like to keep it original.

Then you can choose to authorize optional work items from that report. If you don’t want it polished that will be the time to declare it. Nixing the polishing doesn’t save you money.

If you go the independent watchmaker route, then it might be cheaper but the general steps to authorize work or nix it is more flexible.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 02:18 AM   #13
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Several mandatory replacement items will be seals and the mainspring. Those are covered within the service spec. Those items of course are for longevity and reliability reasons.

And you want to take care of this as soon as possible. The rotor may grind against the rear cover and you could get metal particles in the movement, causing other long term damage. So this is not something to ignore.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 02:30 AM   #14
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Willing to learn about the history of the brand and the watches doing my own in depth research on the RWC, plus past experience about owning and wearing Rolex watches for over 50 years.
We are becoming dinosaurs my friend.

And just to add, this very forum use to be filled with technical discussions and general knowledge of automatic movements but sadly most have been replaced with entirely different priorities from value/investments and the ability to acquire. In-depth look at the actual product and how it works and it’s historical significance seems to hold little interest beyond acquisition.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 02:45 AM   #15
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post

And just to add, this very forum use to be filled with technical discussions and general knowledge of automatic movements but sadly most have been replaced with entirely different priorities from value/investments and the ability to acquire. In-depth look at the actual product and how it works and it’s historical significance seems to hold little interest beyond acquisition.
Amen, brother, AMEN!

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 06:37 AM   #16
joemcp
"TRF" Member

Another question for you all. There is a Rolex retailer not far from me that also is a Rolex service center. Any reason to send it to RSC versus take it there?

Thanks!
Old 15 May 2021, 08:46 AM   #17
Dennisoul
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570 Polar
Had exactly the same with my 16570 EXP2…the same vibrations etc….it’s the rotor that need looked at, I sent it to RSC came back perfect and looking beautiful…..time for a service
Dennisoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 08:48 AM   #18
stmoore
Banned

Watch: Gilt
Has the exact same issue - the watch was dry but fine otherwise
stmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 09:26 AM   #19
Computantis
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This makes me sad. I joined about two months ago looking for exactly that.
Old 15 May 2021, 09:33 AM   #20
stmoore
Banned

Quote:

Agreed. I was half flamed for admiring many updates to the new explorer 2 (literally everything changed on it) but too many are like “it’s the same exact same watch ?!!!” …

I guess steering wheel pics are what we’ve become.
Old 15 May 2021, 11:31 AM   #21
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Quote:

So true and so sad..
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 02:58 PM   #22
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmoore View Post
Agreed. I was half flamed for admiring many updates to the new explorer 2 (literally everything changed on it) but too many are like “it’s the same exact same watch ?!!!” …

I guess steering wheel pics are what we’ve become.
You weren't flamed , simply offerrer a counter opinion that off the wrist and in hand it looks the same. Hug a pillow and stop crying, enjoy the watch without worrying about what internet people think.

p.s the new explorer looks just like the old one

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 08:28 PM   #23
stmoore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by myporsche View Post
You weren't flamed , simply offerrer a counter opinion that off the wrist and in hand it looks the same. Hug a pillow and stop crying, enjoy the watch without worrying about what internet people think.

p.s the new explorer looks just like the old one

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
But it _doesn’t_ that’s the funny thing and even if it did, the improvements are still there!
It’s ok that you have difficulty identifying, understanding, and appreciating differences (improvements). Just because you are unable to see, understand, and appreciate the differences between the 21 and 22 series doesn’t mean they aren’t there - and both are still great.

ps. I don’t currently own either watch but dont you own the prior 216570?! Is it possible that saying it’s the “same watch” for you is a way to stay in your watch safe place?

Who needs a pillow now?