The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 May 2021, 10:06 PM   #1
judson
"TRF" Member

Watch: changes depending
How I got two Rolex SS Daytonas. (Long Read)

I thought it would be an interesting post for others to see how games are played by ADs by explaining how I got my two Daytonas with my small spend history.

I got the white Daytona first, here is how. The first AD I had purchase history with as I lived in that town for 15 years. I would call my regular SA to talk watches a couple of weeks after Basel each year and we would discuss which ones we liked. They only carried Rolex, Tag Heuer, Casio and their house brand. If I purchased a new watch, regardless where, I would take it in, show him and we would BS about it and watches in general.

The day before my 46th birthday I called and specifically asked to speak with the manager. I told her I would like to be put on the list for the black Daytona for my 50th. That gave them a few years for me to work my way up the list and it was a milestone birthday. We had a nice conversation about it and I never mentioned it again.

About a year later we moved to another state but I kept in contact. When the BLNR was released on jubilee, I expressed my interest on our regular chat after Basel with my SA. I can’t tell you how long it took to get the BLNR, but when my name came up, I purchased it. What was interesting was that when the manager called me, she mentioned that I had turned down the BLNR on oyster, which I had, and they knew I wanted a Rolex on jubilee.

I subsequently sold a couple of watches in preparation for purchasing a Hulk, one of them being my mint polar Explorer 2 16570. I had purchased the watch NOS and paid about $1,500 extra for the satisfaction of taking off the stickers myself. I was having sellers remorse and asked the dealer to wait and let me think about it. Subsequently I called my SA and we chatted about me not having a white Rolex in my collection any longer and I was waffling on whether or not to part with my Explorer 2. My SA told me to let it go because he had something coming that I would like better. I did not know what, but I followed his advice and a week later I had the white Daytona on my wrist. I had waited about 18 months.

Queue my new AD and how I got my black Daytona. When I moved to the new city one of the first trips I made was to the local AD to introduce myself. They are a much larger dealer, I was told they used to keep over 400 watches in inventory. This was split between Rolex, Tudor, Breitling, Tag Heuer and Ball. I had yet to purchase the BLNR or the white Daytona and expressed my interest in a BLNR or a BLRO but was told that I had to establish a relationship with them before I would be put on a list.

I visited the new AD semi-regularly but had yet to purchase anything. When my second SA got the blue SS Skydweller I asked if I could try it on because I had never seen one in real life. He could tell I was genuinely happy for him and excited to see it in the metal.

When the black BB58 was released I expressed interest in seeing it, although I was not sure I would purchase. I was called and went in to view it. While there I also saw that they had a NOS Rolex Cellini Prince in the closeout section. It was marked down from $15k to $11k. I tried it on and quite liked it, but was not sure. I told the SA that my dream watch was the black Daytona and I would purchase something I liked in order to get on the list, I just had to figure out what I liked. The SA remarked, would you rather have the Prince or a Datejust. We discussed the price and I negotiated them down to $10K with taxes, but told them I would have to think about it.

On my drive home I decided I would rather have the Prince but it had been sitting for years. That was when I decided to bundle. I called the salesperson and told him I would take the Prince and the BB58 if I could have the next black Daytona. He spoke with the owner, and said they would do that. I took it on faith and now have both the black and white Daytona.

My total spend with my first AD was $25K and my total spend with my second AD was $13K before purchasing my Daytonas. What was really key was that both ADs know that I love watches. I follow the releases and am knowledgeable about many different brands and the industry in general.

I hope this helps others in their pursuit of any hard to get Rolex. Good luck, you don't have to be a whale to get the sought after pieces. Just be yourself and authentic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Daytonas-4-TRF7.JPG (172.5 KB, 1437 views)
judson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 10:17 PM   #2
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Thanks for sharing. Enjoy.
vh2k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 10:26 PM   #3
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by judson View Post
I thought it would be an interesting post for others to see how games are played by ADs by explaining how I got my two Daytonas with my small spend history.

I got the white Daytona first, here is how. The first AD I had purchase history with as I lived in that town for 15 years. I would call my regular SA to talk watches a couple of weeks after Basel each year and we would discuss which ones we liked. They only carried Rolex, Tag Heuer, Casio and their house brand. If I purchased a new watch, regardless where, I would take it in, show him and we would BS about it and watches in general.

The day before my 46th birthday I called and specifically asked to speak with the manager. I told her I would like to be put on the list for the black Daytona for my 50th. That gave them a few years for me to work my way up the list and it was a milestone birthday. We had a nice conversation about it and I never mentioned it again.

About a year later we moved to another state but I kept in contact. When the BLNR was released on jubilee, I expressed my interest on our regular chat after Basel with my SA. I can’t tell you how long it took to get the BLNR, but when my name came up, I purchased it. What was interesting was that when the manager called me, she mentioned that I had turned down the BLNR on oyster, which I had, and they knew I wanted a Rolex on jubilee.

I subsequently sold a couple of watches in preparation for purchasing a Hulk, one of them being my mint polar Explorer 2 16570. I had purchased the watch NOS and paid about $1,500 extra for the satisfaction of taking off the stickers myself. I was having sellers remorse and asked the dealer to wait and let me think about it. Subsequently I called my SA and we chatted about me not having a white Rolex in my collection any longer and I was waffling on whether or not to part with my Explorer 2. My SA told me to let it go because he had something coming that I would like better. I did not know what, but I followed his advice and a week later I had the white Daytona on my wrist. I had waited about 18 months.

Queue my new AD and how I got my black Daytona. When I moved to the new city one of the first trips I made was to the local AD to introduce myself. They are a much larger dealer, I was told they used to keep over 400 watches in inventory. This was split between Rolex, Tudor, Breitling, Tag Heuer and Ball. I had yet to purchase the BLNR or the white Daytona and expressed my interest in a BLNR or a BLRO but was told that I had to establish a relationship with them before I would be put on a list.

I visited the new AD semi-regularly but had yet to purchase anything. When my second SA got the blue SS Skydweller I asked if I could try it on because I had never seen one in real life. He could tell I was genuinely happy for him and excited to see it in the metal.

When the black BB58 was released I expressed interest in seeing it, although I was not sure I would purchase. I was called and went in to view it. While there I also saw that they had a NOS Rolex Cellini Prince in the closeout section. It was marked down from $15k to $11k. I tried it on and quite liked it, but was not sure. I told the SA that my dream watch was the black Daytona and I would purchase something I liked in order to get on the list, I just had to figure out what I liked. The SA remarked, would you rather have the Prince or a Datejust. We discussed the price and I negotiated them down to $10K with taxes, but told them I would have to think about it.

On my drive home I decided I would rather have the Prince but it had been sitting for years. That was when I decided to bundle. I called the salesperson and told him I would take the Prince and the BB58 if I could have the next black Daytona. He spoke with the owner, and said they would do that. I took it on faith and now have both the black and white Daytona.

My total spend with my first AD was $25K and my total spend with my second AD was $13K before purchasing my Daytonas. What was really key was that both ADs know that I love watches. I follow the releases and am knowledgeable about many different brands and the industry in general.

I hope this helps others in their pursuit of any hard to get Rolex. Good luck, you don't have to be a whale to get the sought after pieces. Just be yourself and authentic.

Good for you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 10:35 PM   #4
stylinleems
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Congrats and great story!

I agree, you don't have to spend a lot at an AD to receive the pieces. Yes, you have to be genuine and check in regularly but it all comes down to building the relationship with the SA/AD.

I can speak from experience as I had only purchased a BLNR in 2016 from one of my ADs before obtaining my White Daytona in 2019.
stylinleems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 10:45 PM   #5
DC116710LN
"TRF" Member

Well done. Congrats!
DC116710LN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 10:49 PM   #6
judson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fskywalker View Post
Good for you!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinleems View Post
Congrats and great story!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC116710LN View Post
Well done. Congrats!
Thanks guys.
Old 14 May 2021, 10:53 PM   #7
turkeysub93
"TRF" Member

You must be a very likable guy!
turkeysub93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 10:58 PM   #8
sharkman2.0
"TRF" Member

the only ones spending big money in the grey market for SS Daytonas are:
1- People with a lot of money that don't care
2- People with not enough money buying the hype and going overboard
sharkman2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 10:59 PM   #9
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 11:00 PM   #10
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Thanks for sharing. Great job getting Daytonas
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 11:12 PM   #11
Tensai
"TRF" Member

Watch: all the good ones
I just can’t read super long posts
But from the picture, congrats on your Daytonas.
Tensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 11:13 PM   #12
Computantis
"TRF" Member

That's how you do it! I always went in and talked about watches to the local AD when I was in highschool/college and when I finally got my 116610LN this year some of the long-time SA's there were absolutely overjoyed for me.

Could it have been a fake reaction? Possibly, but it sure as hell felt real and nice. Having a genuine connection with these AD's is the best way to get what you want.

Well done!
Computantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 11:14 PM   #13
fishingbear
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMTsSubLVEx2SDDayt
Great post! A lot of truths to this that form the relationships that put desirable references in the hands of those who appreciate them.
fishingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 11:17 PM   #14
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Nice job. Increasingly rare at those spend levels I’d think
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 11:40 PM   #15
judson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeysub93 View Post
You must be a very likable guy!
I certainly hope so. I also think that most people know I love watches in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie_Rollie View Post
Congrats!
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipes View Post
Thanks for sharing. Great job getting Daytonas
I hope my story helps others like me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computantis View Post
Well done!
I am sure they were genuinely excited for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingbear View Post
Great post! A lot of truths to this that form the relationships that put desirable references in the hands of those who appreciate them.
Knowing your collection, I appreciate your comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Nice job. Increasingly rare at those spend levels I’d think
While I believe that you are correct, I hope that some ADs still root for the little guy like me.
Old 15 May 2021, 12:03 AM   #16
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Awesome. Thanks for sharing. You give me hope! :P
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 12:18 AM   #17
Newbietothegame
"TRF" Member

Very cool!
Newbietothegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 12:46 AM   #18
etm124
"TRF" Member

Great story! Thanks for sharing!
etm124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 12:46 AM   #19
zhqiang
"TRF" Member

whether you love watches or not has something to do with their business?
zhqiang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 12:55 AM   #20
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
Well done, congrats!

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 01:00 AM   #21
John S
"TRF" Member

Bundle sale, plus regular contact.
Old 15 May 2021, 01:25 AM   #22
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

That’s terrific for you and others who have been so fortunate. As for my quest, I have been flat out told “never going to happen” by both of my ADs - one on the east coast where I bought a WG OF Daytona116519 and the other on the west coast where I have bought DSSD JC, SS GMT BLRO and last month the New Kermit.

No way, no how, never gonna happen.

I keep up hope, but been 1st on the 116500 waitlist since the west coast boutique opened (I was their first customer) in 2018.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 01:45 AM   #23
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhqiang View Post
Apparently.
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 01:49 AM   #24
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Oyster View Post
... but been 1st on the 116500 waitlist since the west coast boutique opened (I was their first customer) in 2018.
Thus proving that there is no "waitlist" (at this AD).
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 02:10 AM   #25
judson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seddyspaghetti View Post
Awesome. Thanks for sharing. You give me hope! :P
I hope it works out for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhqiang View Post
In this climate I do believe it makes a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John S View Post
Bundle sale, plus regular contact.
That would be the TL;DR version yes. I also believe it misses some of the nuance of the story. I had read about another member bundling and gave it my best shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Oyster View Post
No way, no how, never gonna happen.
I admit I live in a much smaller city than it sounds like you do. I am sure that has quite a bit to do with it. Rolex dropped my first AD so they must have been a smaller AD.
Old 15 May 2021, 02:38 AM   #26
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Thanks for sharing your story. Shows more in depth how some AD's work and deal with customers.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 02:39 AM   #27
ervelo
"TRF" Member

This would never happen in the city that I live in, but congratulations on making it work!!
ervelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 07:59 AM   #28
Rolex.c6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 116600
Great duo. The black dial is fire! Too bad they are so hard to find for most of us.
Rolex.c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 10:51 AM   #29
judson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 214270Explorer View Post
Thanks for sharing your story. Shows more in depth how some AD's work and deal with customers.
I agree with this and was my reason for posting. I felt like my first AD was the more fair AD and truly stuck to the list while the second AD was more about making sure I had a purchase history before I got an allocated piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ervelo View Post
This would never happen in the city that I live in, but congratulations on making it work!!
It's a shame that is true and thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex.c6 View Post
The black dial is fire!
I agree that it is the sleeper of the two and was the one that I was drawn to when they were first released.
Old 15 May 2021, 11:04 AM   #30
arcampado
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Congrats on the Daytonas! Now let’s see a pic of the Cellini Prince. Here’s mine!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg FF40160F-43CC-4AA1-AE1A-0ADC86A9C378.jpeg (280.5 KB, 635 views)
File Type: jpeg C6393322-D746-4FBE-ABE8-4639B8EC84EA.jpeg (262.8 KB, 632 views)
arcampado is offline   Reply With Quote