The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 May 2021, 02:10 AM   #1
slfkjasldfj
"TRF" Member

Anyone feel that their AD "tested" to see if they were a flipper? (Daytona Journey)

To preface this, the 116500LN Daytona is my first Rolex.

So while on the multi-year wait for my white dial Daytona a couple weird things happened that I felt like the AD was "testing" to see if I was a flipper.

After years of being into watches but never having owned a Rolex I made the decision that I would begin the journey to get a 116500LN. After two seconds of reading online it was obvious that this would be a long endeavor. I walked into a few different local ADs and essentially got laughed out of the first three but the fourth was very kind and just simply explained that it would take a long long time. I made it clear that I was in no rush and a multi-year wait would be of no issue. The AD took my name and contact information down on the "list".

Two days after putting my name down on the list for the Daytona I received a call from the AD that they had just received a Root Beer two tone GMT that I could come purchase. Not even close looking to a Daytona but still an easily flippable watch. I politely declined saying that I was interested in the white dial Daytona specifically. The AD actually seemed crazy shocked that I turned it down.

I checked in on occasion over the next 18 months or so to make sure the AD knew I was still interested.

I purchased a stainless ladies date-just as a gift. During this purchase I reminded the AD of my place on the white Daytona "list".

Six months after that I received a call that my Black Dial Daytona was in. I politely declined again saying that I was really looking for the white dial Daytona. Once again the AD seemed incredibly shocked that I wouldn't buy a random watch that I didn't want that I could easily make a buck on.

I then received a call later that day that my white dial Daytona had finally arrived. Almost exactly two years after putting my name down.

I really felt that the AD was testing me by offering me watches that I didn't want but were still easily salable. Has anyone else been "tested" to see if they were a flipper?

Anyways, there is my Daytona journey if anyone cares
slfkjasldfj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 02:14 AM   #2
DeeTee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Netflix
He felt bad and sold you the watch.

On the upside you got the one you always wanted!
DeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 02:14 AM   #3
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Glad your patience paid off!
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 02:14 AM   #4
CKizzy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tachymeter
I would not do business with an AD that I felt didn't trust me...not sure that this is the case here though and only you can decide by their follow up.
CKizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 02:21 AM   #5
slfkjasldfj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKizzy View Post
I would not do business with an AD that I felt didn't trust me...not sure that this is the case here though and only you can decide by their follow up.
I didn't actually take it that way. I took it more as the AD doing their diligence on someone they had never met. Objectively, if I were the AD and I saw me, I would be worried a watch would be flipped (just being introspective haha). Since I had/have zero interest in ever selling my Daytona I didn't take offense.

I was actually kind of impressed that the AD was so concerned with me flipping it
Old 15 May 2021, 02:25 AM   #6
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
I "think" the AD felt you were NOT a flipper up front when you said you did not mind a multi-year wait. (A flipper would not have that patience because by then it is too far "down the line" for a potential sell to a Gray dealer.)

What he was trying to do was make a quick sale on what he had come into the store. But you were right for standing your ground for only what you want. Kudos to you.

Why buy things you don't want. Waste of money, and then you have something you will not like enough to wear (or keep long term anyway.)

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 02:28 AM   #7
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I don’t think they were testing you from that narrative. The ADs aren’t the RFI Rolex Flipper Investigators - they usually can profile without all that bother. You bought a LDJ so they weren’t really worried methinks.

The simpler answer is SA or manager error in keeping their lists straight in the card file or CRM system they use.

See Occam’s Razor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 02:28 AM   #8
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

AD doing due diligence... thankfully.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 02:29 AM   #9
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Enjoy the watch!
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 02:29 AM   #10
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
I don’t think they were testing you from that narrative. The ADs aren’t the RFI Rolex Flipper Investigators - they usually can profile without all that bother. You bought a LDJ so they weren’t really worried methinks.

The simpler answer is SA or manager error in keeping their lists straight in the card file or CRM system they use.

See Occam’s Razor

Yes. (This forum needs a LIKE button)

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 02:32 AM   #11
novae500
"TRF" Member

If I had the offer and funds, I would have acquired the Rootbeer and black Daytona. After so many years of soul searching, giving my info, watch I was interested , had to go gray for my first 5 rolexes. Only recently I found a dealer that let me purchase my first 2 from them. I was on pace to acquire 1 to 2 rolexes a year and have my collection by now.

I’m definitely not a flipper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

326933 SkyDweller, 126711 GMT II CHNR
12600 DeepSea Seadweller
14060 No Date Submariner
16710 GMT II Pepsi N-Series, Coke F Series
novae500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 02:33 AM   #12
SubMillennial
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 41 Date
You buried the lede. More interesting is that you, as a walk-in, were offered a GMT after two days! Unless the TT, which suits the Rootbeer best, is really not as popular as I thought
SubMillennial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 02:40 AM   #13
judson
"TRF" Member

Watch: changes depending
When I went in to pick up my black Daytona they made a huge pitch about how they were worried I would flip it. Here is the text I sent to my SA after I got home.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Daytona-Text-4-TRF2.jpg (104.2 KB, 990 views)
judson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 02:43 AM   #14
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Considering that either Daytona is extremely hard to get, offering you a black one is hardly a test, unless they planned on refusing to sell it to you if you said yes to it.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 02:48 AM   #15
WC_Watch
Banned

I am guessing they figured that you are not a flipper by offering the watches that you were not interested. If that was the test, you passed and continue the good relationship with him!

But I am pretty sure that some purchase history will definitely help you in the future.
WC_Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 02:51 AM   #16
slfkjasldfj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubMillennial View Post
You buried the lede. More interesting is that you, as a walk-in, were offered a GMT after two days! Unless the TT, which suits the Rootbeer best, is really not as popular as I thought
You are totally correct! I was surprised that it was so easy to get a Rootbeer (assuming that they actually had it and it wasn't a test haha)
Old 15 May 2021, 02:51 AM   #17
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
AD doing due diligence... thankfully.
Yup. AD vetting and qualifying a potential client while, at the same time, selling what they have to satisfy/pacify and new customer and move some merch.

This is Rolex Sales 101.
vh2k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 03:35 AM   #18
goodolejr
"TRF" Member

Great story! Congrats, OP. There are recent stories here of guys spending $200K in less than a year and still not even getting offered a root beer.
goodolejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 03:51 AM   #19
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Yes. I've been redirected to "other" hot pieces than what I've asked for. Anytime I turn it down it usually ends well.
Old 15 May 2021, 04:09 AM   #20
slfkjasldfj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodolejr View Post
Great story! Congrats, OP. There are recent stories here of guys spending $200K in less than a year and still not even getting offered a root beer.
Thank you!

Though, imo when I read stories like you mention above I can't help but feel they are fake and written by grey dealers to encourage going grey... IDK don't mean to sound like a conspiracy theorist but there seem to be two types of posts; the "I spent four years and $300K and didn't get anything" and the "I am some normal person with some average spend and I got what I wanted after a couple years". I have always felt that the first example is often placed by greys.

IDK perhaps I am completely wrong
Old 15 May 2021, 04:16 AM   #21
iTreelex
"TRF" Member

2 years huh... Dang, some AD's really have you guys by the family jewels
iTreelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 04:25 AM   #22
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slfkjasldfj View Post
Thank you!

Though, imo when I read stories like you mention above I can't help but feel they are fake and written by grey dealers to encourage going grey... IDK don't mean to sound like a conspiracy theorist but there seem to be two types of posts; the "I spent four years and $300K and didn't get anything" and the "I am some normal person with some average spend and I got what I wanted after a couple years". I have always felt that the first example is often placed by greys.

IDK perhaps I am completely wrong

I have been waiting over 2 years for a 116500 with a AD where I have a great relationship with the manager and even though I’ve purchased three hot SS watches, I was told no way ever on the SS Daytona, regardless the dial color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 04:31 AM   #23
WatchGuy1966
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I'm still trying to decode your username. It looks like you just placed your fingers on the home row (I think that's what they called it in typing class), and hammered let your fingers fall where they may.

WatchGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 04:51 AM   #24
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Has anyone else been "tested" to see if they were a flipper?
I don't have to be tested because he knows I'm a flipper. And by flipper, I mean someone who buys a watch, enjoys it for a while, and then moves on. Although I have bought a couple of used watches from him with the deliberate intent of flipping, and he was fine with that. I lost money on one of them (made money on the other) which cured me of that hobby.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 04:54 AM   #25
makwaq100
"TRF" Member

i prefer YG with Champagne dial. have a look in person before finalizing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dayton1.jpg (190.7 KB, 728 views)
makwaq100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 04:58 AM   #26
superspectral
"TRF" Member

I’m not sure the story is evidence of anything. Some people would have been happy to change their mind and take the root beer and drop off the list. I think it was just the ad checking if you’d take something sooner and accommodating you when you didn’t compromise. Win win.
superspectral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 05:00 AM   #27
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
I’m really not sure they care. I think it is we who are sensitive and are so concerned we may offend them. The reality is all gray market watches come from the AD so they are playing the game and they know it.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 05:24 AM   #28
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
While I was waiting, 14 months, for my SS Blue SkyD my AD offered me a white dial and a black dial. Though they are very nice I turned them down, told the AD if I'm spending the money I want the one I want. Now I'm not saying that me turning down the white and black got me the blue, but I do think the AD was looking for a level of commitment from me to the blue, so when they got one I got the call. I'm sure if I had bought either other color I wouldn't have been given the opportunity to buy the blue. They know me well, know I'm not a flipper, if there was any test/game in this I'm guessing it was for them to know that the person they chose to sell this very desired watch really wanted "this watch".
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 05:46 AM   #29
SydR
"TRF" Member

When I got my Sub from an AD they held onto the warranty card for 6 months. Says it all really.
SydR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 06:03 AM   #30
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
To preface this, the 116500LN Daytona is my first Rolex.

So while on the multi-year wait for my white dial Daytona a couple weird things happened that I felt like the AD was "testing" to see if I was a flipper.

After years of being into watches but never having owned a Rolex I made the decision that I would begin the journey to get a 116500LN. After two seconds of reading online it was obvious that this would be a long endeavor. I walked into a few different local ADs and essentially got laughed out of the first three but the fourth was very kind and just simply explained that it would take a long long time. I made it clear that I was in no rush and a multi-year wait would be of no issue. The AD took my name and contact information down on the "list".

Two days after putting my name down on the list for the Daytona I received a call from the AD that they had just received a Root Beer two tone GMT that I could come purchase. Not even close looking to a Daytona but still an easily flippable watch. I politely declined saying that I was interested in the white dial Daytona specifically. The AD actually seemed crazy shocked that I turned it down.

I checked in on occasion over the next 18 months or so to make sure the AD knew I was still interested.

I purchased a stainless ladies date-just as a gift. During this purchase I reminded the AD of my place on the white Daytona "list".

Six months after that I received a call that my Black Dial Daytona was in. I politely declined again saying that I was really looking for the white dial Daytona. Once again the AD seemed incredibly shocked that I wouldn't buy a random watch that I didn't want that I could easily make a buck on.

I then received a call later that day that my white dial Daytona had finally arrived. Almost exactly two years after putting my name down.

I really felt that the AD was testing me by offering me watches that I didn't want but were still easily salable. Has anyone else been "tested" to see if they were a flipper?

Congrats!

Sounds to me that the call offering the black Daytona was because another person, either with more leaverage than you or behind you on the list, wanted the white one and they try to convince you to take that one instead.

Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote