The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 May 2021, 02:22 PM   #1
kip595
"TRF" Member

Why all the Random Anger at wearing a Rolex?

Ok, so I first really noticed this more after the inauguration, when there were all those silly articles on Biden wearing a DJ. Sorta got it (major political figure/cleb, etc), didn't really agree with it (pretty sure he can afford it, and apparently was a gift or something?) but kinda brushed it off.

No however when I post on other social media, both watch-related and personal, there has been a weird but steady trickle upwards for negative and generally anonymous remarks - comments about cost, wearing a Rolex at all, and one memorable chap mumbling 'materialistic' out loud before a meeting in person regarding my watch of the day - a Tudor.

So has this been noticed by anyone else? Am I just noticing it later now that I have a few more pieces to rotate through? Is it a jealousy thing, generational (I'm 34), any ideas?
kip595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 02:26 PM   #2
BumbleB
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you

Quote:
Originally Posted by kip595 View Post
Ok, so I first really noticed this more after the inauguration, when there were all those silly articles on Biden wearing a DJ. Sorta got it (major political figure/cleb, etc), didn't really agree with it (pretty sure he can afford it, and apparently was a gift or something?) but kinda brushed it off.

No however when I post on other social media, both watch-related and personal, there has been a weird but steady trickle upwards for negative and generally anonymous remarks - comments about cost, wearing a Rolex at all, and one memorable chap mumbling 'materialistic' out loud before a meeting in person regarding my watch of the day - a Tudor.

So has this been noticed by anyone else? Am I just noticing it later now that I have a few more pieces to rotate through? Is it a jealousy thing, generational (I'm 34), any ideas?

You provided your own answer.

You say that you now have more watches, which likely coincides with increased social media posts about them from your end.

Increased posts invites increased responses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
♛ Milgauss 116400GV ♛ Deepsea D-Blue 116660 ♛ Submariner 114060 ♛ Submariner 116613LN ♛ Exp. II black 216570 ♛ Exp. II white 226570 ♛ Sky Dweller white 326933 ♛ Sky Dweller Blue 326934 ♛ GMT II 116710 black ♛ GMT II 126710BLRO ♛ GMT II 126711CHNR ♛ GMT II 126710BLNR ♛ Daytona 116509 ♛ DD40 228238 H HUBLOT BIG BANG e ceramic C CHANEL J12 3125 AP 3120 MVT
BumbleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 02:26 PM   #3
VonSomething
"TRF" Member

I have been posting my watches on social media for 8 months now, 150 posts, average 25 comments per post and I have never had a single negative comment.
VonSomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 02:38 PM   #4
kip595
"TRF" Member

Huh. Well I rarely caption things...I guess I'll blame my haircut.
kip595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 02:44 PM   #5
VonSomething
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Huh. Well I rarely caption things...I guess I'll blame my haircut.
It's a matter of audience. If many of my followers were vegans and I'd start posting juicy steaks, I'm sure I'd get a few negatively loaded comments on those posts :)

99% of the population will never understand why anyone would spend more than $200 on a wristwatch - probably don't even understand why you want to wear a watch in the first place.

If your followers aren't watch interested, then I can easily imagine them being "offended" by you posting expensive watches, believing you're only posting to show off.

Know your audience
VonSomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 02:45 PM   #6
GBD
"TRF" Member

I don't think it's anything new, there have long been negative views and connotations around Rolex.
GBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 03:40 PM   #7
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58

Nothing new really. Human beings are the only animal species capable of egotism.

Internet and social media have merely enabled the shoving of ones face into other people’s business and opinions like nothing in human history.

Forming tribes with which to attack fellow human beings, and their thoughts, ideas, looks etc in order to cancel that which and those who do not agree

The speed, the ease and the reach is unprecedented and growing.

Treat it as what it is and everything is fine. Human beings just want to show off anytime and every time.

Even being against materialism is its own kind of showing off.

What the hell else is everyone here for?

Especially well fed well clothed ones.

Aka first world problems, the constant need to be admired, love, adulated, emulated....

teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 05:41 PM   #8
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT

I’m no longer on social media because of a number of reasons.

One of which is that it’s full of people that can barely support themselves and their family, but yet they consider themselves world renowned experts on financial markets, global economics, geopolitical affairs, and every category of science you can possibly think of. It’s quite amusing actually...

Anyway, I bought an Apple Watch last year. I thought I might be able to get some helpful hints by joining an Apple Watch forum on FB. Like other watch forums on FB, people post pictures of their Apple Watch.

I made a mistake. I posted a picture of my Apple Watch with my Submariner and Speedmaster. Most people liked it; I got mostly positive comments. However, 2 or 3 people took exception and basically blasted me for having a Rolex. I was surprised by their reaction although I guess I really should have known better and expected it. I ultimately decided to delete the post even though the feedback I got was overwhelmingly positive.

Bottom line: some people on social media are just angry at the world and miserable with themselves.

Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 05:50 PM   #9
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Social media is for individuals trying to live the life they cannot in reality.

It is toxic.

Never argue with a fool, as eventually it will be difficult to tell the difference.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 05:57 PM   #10
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondoggy View Post

It is toxic.
Well said, I stick to TRF only
Old 15 May 2021, 06:03 PM   #11
Beto737
"TRF" Member

Other than this forum, I don’t do social media at all. Don’t care to see pictures of anyone’s perfect family, perfect vacation, or perfect anything else. And, aside from watch related opinions and possibly aviation related opinions, I don’t care to hear about any other types of opinions. I sound like Scrooge don’t I?
Beto737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 06:04 PM   #12
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Well said, I stick to TRF only
Back at you

Never argue with a fool, as eventually it will be difficult to tell the difference.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 06:11 PM   #13
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
yet they consider themselves world renowned experts on financial markets, global economics, geopolitical affairs, and every category of science you can possibly think of. It’s quite amusing actually...

This actually describes pretty much everyone here too!

teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 06:12 PM   #14
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
I've not noticed it, but I am not big on social media and I would never personally put a picture of my watch on social media.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 06:39 PM   #15
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
And yet women can wear a tiny chip of a stone on their finger, costing twice the price of most Rolex’s, and no one bats an eye. Go figure.
Old 15 May 2021, 06:55 PM   #16
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
Only connection to the world about -digital- watch talk is TRF for me.
I don't care about what other think what I am wearing.

♕16570 ♕126610 ♕126333
Gerardus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 07:04 PM   #17
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Never heard about this. I read the Biden posts, but it was nothing more than pointing out that he was wearing a DJ. No hate or praise.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 07:07 PM   #18
Lemieux66
"TRF" Member

Watch: $10 Casio
People compare themselves with others around them. Sometimes they feel inferior to the other and may try to attack the other in some way - on social media that means making negative comments.

The other reason for negative comments eg. “You’re crazy for buying a Rolex”, is that people often can’t understand that others have different values and priorities than they do eg. someone who prefers Grand Complications to Nautilus Pateks, or Cartier over Rolex, so anything you do that they wouldn’t do just looks irrational or stupid to them, and also helps to give them a superiority boost when they declare it.
Lemieux66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 07:19 PM   #19
Timekeep111
"TRF" Member

As the only two Rolex’s I have owned are vintage pieces, I get “is it a fake?” More then bad attitude towards wearing one.

But I did see a post the other day and it was from an omega group. It said “Rolex owners wonder what time it is on the moon” meaning omegas speedy made it and Rolex didn’t.

I wanted to write but didn’t “Rolex owners don’t give a shit what time it is on the moon” but didn’t for the public outrage would have been monumental....
Timekeep111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 10:14 PM   #20
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

It is toxic.
Agree. Everyone on “anti-social” media seems to live the perfect life.
Old 15 May 2021, 10:17 PM   #21
Bozack90
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
I figure it will only get worse, society is very divided now and there seems to be the constant yet ever growing class warfare, with the position pushed of the wealthy having not paid what they are supposed to, and with all of the now very public options for fundraising causes I can see why images of expensive luxury items would rub many the wrong way

I also don’t use social media any longer for a number of reasons, but found even when I’d like a watch/car/expensive item group there would be those who made it a point to explain to me how that money could be used more positively impact the world
Bozack90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 10:22 PM   #22
DonRickles
Banned

Watch: Your mouth
Hello,

this place is SOCIAL MEDIA!
DonRickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 10:24 PM   #23
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
Quote:

It is toxic.

Does it do anything? It tells the time.
Justinmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 10:25 PM   #24
spacedinvader
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timekeep111 View Post
As the only two Rolex’s I have owned are vintage pieces, I get “is it a fake?” More then bad attitude towards wearing one.

But I did see a post the other day and it was from an omega group. It said “Rolex owners wonder what time it is on the moon” meaning omegas speedy made it and Rolex didn’t.

I wanted to write but didn’t “Rolex owners don’t give a shit what time it is on the moon” but didn’t for the public outrage would have been monumental....
That omega post doesn’t really make any sense as the moonwatch (or whatever timing device an astronauts uses) tells them the time on earth in UTC. The idea of it being a certain time on the moon is a bit abstract as the ‘time’ as we understand is based on the earth’s current position, and rotation, relative to the sun. Probably not worth pointing that out to them though!
spacedinvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 10:26 PM   #25
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:

I mean if you shove Rolex in peoples faces on social media...

Even though you may not intend it that way, that’s how some people are going to take it
Marcjvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 10:38 PM   #26
DC116710LN
"TRF" Member

Getting criticized on social media is to be expected but getting derided in a business meeting seems entirely uncalled for. I will, from time to time, get a slight head nod from a fellow Rolex wearer but I have never been confronted about my choice in watches and I hope that's a singular experience for you.
DC116710LN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 11:00 PM   #27
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I don't think Rolex has been called out by the Woke Warriors yet... probably just a matter of time before the snowflakes find some reason to want to cancel them so enjoy your SM now while you can.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 11:05 PM   #28
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:

I have owned Rolex for decades and have grown increasingly....I don’t know maybe the word is embarrassed by wearing it. Largely due to the hype. I mean I had a 10 year old in my office last year look down at my wrist and say loudly woah is that a Rolex. If 10 year olds know what a Rolex is it’s getting bananas. But the data is clear that the younger generations are moving away from the conspicuous displays of money and disdain things that smack of hierarchy and privilege. I mean Rolex decided to be the epitome of that starting in the 80’s and the reality is other than the few society is moving away from that. Many see Rolex as equated with a system that’s no longer working for most. Rolex decided it hitch its wagon to luxury and away from their tool watch heritage and Rolex will have to evolve.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 11:08 PM   #29
Tensai
"TRF" Member

Watch: all the good ones
Social media sucks.
It is the downfall of civilization unfortunately.

And the recent proliferation of watch images and programs on Instagram and YouTube is absolutely horrible for the hobby.

But just my opinion. Free speech rules (while we still have it, sort of, in USA).
Tensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 11:11 PM   #30
Watch2019
"TRF" Member

Not all Rolex owners are angels. There are actually quite a few a**holes who own Rolexes and deride others for owning watches from supposedly inferior brands. Some of these Rolex owners are mostly likely pricks in real life, leading to the perception among others that therefore all Rolex owners are pricks. Just saying this could be an explanation. Of course, the antipathy for Rolex could also be due to many other factors.

Then again, other higher-profiled brands also receive hostility online. Think Grand Seiko and Omega for example, particularly from Rolex fanboys.
Watch2019 is offline   Reply With Quote