The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 28 January 2017, 10:33 PM   #1
KNY
"TRF" Member

Speedmaster Pro - 3570.50 vs new 005

Hello all,
I was wondering if there was a clear difference, or preference if you will, between the classic 3570.50 and the current new Speedy Pro (reference ending in 005). Aside from the nice presentation (suitcase) box set and screwed in links, would you prefer to have one over the other and why?

The reason I ask is that I have a mid 2000's 3570.50 and was offered a newer 005, 3 months old, LNIB. All things considered, which would you choose and would you flip one?
KNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2017, 02:29 PM   #2
toolr
2024 Pledge Member

I prefer the 3570.50 mainly because I prefer the 1998/849 bracelet with the pin and collar links. The links are a bit shorter and thinner than the screw links of the 005 and the 1998/849 has half links available, where the other does not. I tried the new bracelet on a Speedmaster Pro Tin Tin and just couldn't get as good of fit as the 3570.50 with 1998/849.
toolr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2017, 02:43 PM   #3
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolr View Post
I prefer the 3570.50 mainly because I prefer the 1998/849 bracelet with the pin and collar links. The links are a bit shorter and thinner than the screw links of the 005 and the 1998/849 has half links available, where the other does not. I tried the new bracelet on a Speedmaster Pro Tin Tin and just couldn't get as good of fit as the 3570.50 with 1998/849.
Great info, I never knew that! The clasp doesn't have any fine adjustment to make up for the lack of half-link?

To the OP: I also have a 3570.50, I've never really considered switching up to the new model just for the bracelet. The watch itself is identical as far as I know.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2017, 03:59 PM   #4
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

I think the bracelet is a wash.....there are pros and cons to the improvement....but I don't mind those older bracelets one bit....they fit and are comfy as heck....secure too. In terms of which I'd rather have....I'd say the presentation box is nice but bottom line you're not wearing the box.....The extra tools, loupe, and medallion is cool but nothing essential.....cool collectible I guess, but nothing necessary for more $$ imo.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2017, 11:25 PM   #5
KNY
"TRF" Member

Very interesting points made here, thank you. It makes sense that the actual watch is basically unchanged. I had a chance to look at them side by side and the cases are all but identical. The writing on the caseback does differ between the two in terms of what is written, as well as the actual thickness of the letters. Other than that and the bracelet screws, the two look essentially the same.

I didn't even think about the half link situation and had no idea they were not available. Another good point is the micro adjustment holes which I definitely use on my 3570.50 as the seasons change. Definitely some good food for thought.
KNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2017, 12:43 AM   #6
JP(Canada)
"TRF" Member

I'm a Speedy Pro nut. Have been for years. Didn't think I'd care about the box set, but have to admit that it does this inconic watch justice to have that presentation. I have the new version, but have had various others. The previous bracelet was indeed more adjustable than the new one, due to the fact that the Seamaster (1610, reference, I think) half link fits that watch band perfectly. The single fine adjustment in the clasp is not quite a half link size and not enough to get the perfect fit for me. But it's just one of those quirks I've learned to accept. I just love the watch. That being said, I mostly wear my Speedy on straps.
Old 30 January 2017, 04:19 PM   #7
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
Subscribed , what about the 3572.50, isn't that one the best of both worlds ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2017, 01:40 PM   #8
superunknown2
"TRF" Member

Keep in mind you can always buy the adjustable Omega clasp and end links to fit to the new Speedmaster and its fully adjustable with many micro adjustments and no tools needed. Total cost is under $250 and its Omega's equivalent to the glidelock. Best $250 I've ever spent as I found myself rarely wearing the watch as I couldnt adjust it easily.
superunknown2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2017, 10:54 PM   #9
Fletcher UK
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by superunknown2 View Post
Keep in mind you can always buy the adjustable Omega clasp and end links to fit to the new Speedmaster and its fully adjustable with many micro adjustments and no tools needed. Total cost is under $250 and its Omega's equivalent to the glidelock. Best $250 I've ever spent as I found myself rarely wearing the watch as I couldnt adjust it easily.
I'm about to go through this very scenario. I've bought a 005 and had a Mitsukoshi dial fitted. Imagine my horror when I went to collect it last week and the damn thing didn't fitted. Gutted! (Watch looked amazing though). Anyway after much internet searching I came across this: -

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/spe...814434-12.html

With half links not being available the route you have suggested is the route I'm going to go down. Namely order the 117STZ001154 adjustable clasp and the two clasp attaching links 118ST1589. God I hope it works. Any chance of some pics of yours? Are the micro adjustments very fine. I.E Am I definitely guaranteed a good fit? If you don't mind me asking how do the attaching links attach to the clasp and likewise to the bracelet. I suppose what I'm asking is.....are all the parts attached with screws? Do I need any other tools except a screwdriver? Cheers
Fletcher UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2017, 01:34 AM   #10
Le Chef
"TRF" Member

I'm confused - what didn't fit? The dial or the bracelet?
Le Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2017, 02:11 AM   #11
Fletcher UK
"TRF" Member

The bracelet. The Speedmaster ref 311.30.42.30.01.005 comes with a relatively new screw bracelet instead of pins and has very limited adjustability. Half links are not available so people are resorting to buying a new clasp and 2 joining links from a Speedmaster II bracelet and joining those up to the bracelet that the 005 watch comes with to get a good fit. I get the watch on Monday and will be ordering the alternative clasp and links almost immediately I think. All should be clear if you look at the link I posted
Old 12 February 2017, 02:58 AM   #12
superunknown2
"TRF" Member

Here are the part #'s the Omega Boutique used on mine (not the same end links on WatchUSeek) but they had all of this in stock and they have used these on many other swaps. Only a screwdriver is needed to make the swap. The clasp has many adjustments and I ended up removing one additional link in the bracelet to get a similar fit as the old clasp as the old clasp is a bit longer...but now I have a lot more adjustment.

Here are the parts I purchased:
End links (2):
0118STZ000015
Clasp:
0117STZ001154

omega swapjpg.jpg

And photos of the swapped clasp/endlinks:
20170211_165042492_iOS.jpg
20170211_165118001_iOS.jpg
20170211_165144274_iOS.jpg
20170211_165128501_iOS.jpg

Hope this helps!
Old 12 February 2017, 03:49 AM   #13
Fletcher UK
"TRF" Member

Many thanks for the pics and response. Emm........that's interesting, or should I say confusing, that you have used end links with a different reference. From the pics its hard to tell any differences between the two. Not sure which to go with now. Post 117 on watchuseek states "The clasp attaching links do lack the polished centre strips, but it is not noticeable at all when on the wrist". Do the links you have used have the polished centre strips? Thanks
Old 12 February 2017, 04:08 AM   #14
superunknown2
"TRF" Member

The end links I have from the Omega Boutique (and as the others seem to have mentioned with the other part #) are missing the little polished lines on the middle portion of the end link links..

However as its on the wrist and facing down most will never even notice the difference...I didn't until the Omega guy mentioned it. For me its not even noticeable and I finally have my adjustable bracelet.

Here is the difference
2.jpg

Last edited by superunknown2; 12 February 2017 at 04:10 AM.. Reason: add photo
Old 12 February 2017, 04:22 AM   #15
Fletcher UK
"TRF" Member

Cheers for that pic I see exactly what you mean now. Yes that wouldn't bother me either. Can't wait until Monday when I get the watch
Old 15 February 2017, 11:43 AM   #16
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Here are the part #'s the Omega Boutique used on mine (not the same end links on WatchUSeek) but they had all of this in stock and they have used these on many other swaps. Only a screwdriver is needed to make the swap. The clasp has many adjustments and I ended up removing one additional link in the bracelet to get a similar fit as the old clasp as the old clasp is a bit longer...but now I have a lot more adjustment.

Here are the parts I purchased:
End links (2):
0118STZ000015
Clasp:
0117STZ001154

Attachment 827306

And photos of the swapped clasp/endlinks:
Attachment 827318
Attachment 827319
Attachment 827320
Attachment 827321

Hope this helps!
That's great. Did they boutique did the swap for you right there in the store? That'll be great

- Sent from Tapatalk
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2017, 06:12 AM   #17
superunknown2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy View Post
That's great. Did they boutique did the swap for you right there in the store? That'll be great

- Sent from Tapatalk
Hi Maxy, yep they did it all (no cost) right in the boutique. Great service!
Old 16 February 2017, 06:14 AM   #18
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Hi Maxy, yep they did it all (no cost) right in the boutique. Great service!
Thanks bro. I need to get this one done!!

- Sent from Tapatalk
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote