The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 12 February 2017, 04:22 AM   #1
uncleluck
"TRF" Member

Help authenticating my Oyster bracelet please.

Posted this elsewhere but thought here might be an idea too..

Just after a bit of confirmation regarding this bracelet I've ended up with. I bought an auction lot from an estate sale at an auction house online and I could see this included in the lot although it wasn't mentioned directly. I was after the other items in the lot but I thought this looked genuine.

I'm pretty sure it's genuine as I've done a lot of homework but I don't want to list it for sale and fleece someone! Likewise as I'm not an expert I don't want someone to try and pull the wool over my eyes either!

The bracelet is stamped 7835 and 19 below

End links are stamped 357 on RHS and there is a p on the left side

Clasp stamping says the usual and 20 microns for plate thickness.

Can anyone tell me what model this would have been fitted to? I found a chart on here but it said the 7835 is daytona? But I don't know about the chart or whether that is right anyway.

It looks to be in really good condition for a 70's (?) oyster gold plate. Only other one I can find for sale at the moment is a lot of money and it looks tatty as hell and all the plating is knackered, the gold plate is all in tact still on this bracelet, can't see any wear through. I'm not even going to attempt it but looking at the piece of the bracelet that's been inside the clasp (from being adjusted smaller) which looks mint it would polish up beautifully.

One thing I have noticed is the gold thickness says 20 microns. The bracelet on eBay for sale currently looks like it says 10 microns. But then that may be why it looks so worn out compared to this.

uncleluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2017, 10:43 AM   #2
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Clasp and band are not related. Band section. Is just a steel 7835 gold plated sorry franken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12 February 2017, 11:20 AM   #3
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Daytonas used an X71 end link. Yours is an X57 end link which is for a standard 34mm case and 19mm between the lugs. Your bracelet is gold clad, most likely originally came on a gold shelled watch like a model 1550
Old 12 February 2017, 11:25 AM   #4
uncleluck
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the reply. Must admit I've been trawling the net today haha. I have found a few interesting things.

Some seem to have gold plate and stamp on clasp like this, some are higher carat plate and stamped on the last link near the end link but not the clasp.

I've found a couple the same as this bracelet (I think)

http://m.ebay.ie/itm/282047534891?_mwBanner=1

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rolex-Watc...-/162267731832

I'm still learning (despite trying) Can you explain the difference between the two above and my one? I've saved pictures and compared the bracelet parts and the links look the same size/style.

Just want to be able to break it up if it is the case it's a bitsa. What I mean is obviously it's a genuine 20 micron gold clasp but you're saying the bracelet part doesn't match the clasp?
Old 12 February 2017, 11:36 AM   #5
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleluck View Post
Thanks for the reply. Must admit I've been trawling the net today haha. I have found a few interesting things.

Some seem to have gold plate and stamp on clasp like this, some are higher carat plate and stamped on the last link near the end link but not the clasp.

I've found a couple the same as this bracelet (I think)

http://m.ebay.ie/itm/282047534891?_mwBanner=1

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rolex-Watc...-/162267731832

I'm still learning (despite trying) Can you explain the difference between the two above and my one? I've saved pictures and compared the bracelet parts and the links look the same size/style.

Just want to be able to break it up if it is the case it's a bitsa. What I mean is obviously it's a genuine 20 micron gold clasp but you're saying the bracelet part doesn't match the clasp?

Not gold in carats, its in microns which is the thickness applied. They may use 14K because of the additional alloys mixed in which will help adhesion and strength in the electroplating. Its such a small amount of gold that it doesnt really effect value. Im not an expert on these but im assuming its thicker on the clasp so that it will be much more brilliant when polished out. The bracelet may be a thinner coating to retain definition of the brushed finish underneath.
Old 12 February 2017, 12:01 PM   #6
uncleluck
"TRF" Member

No sorry, I was replying to the previous poster in relation to the thought the clasp and bracelet are not a match. What I meant was I've seen this same setup with the gold thickness in microns on the clasp and other ones with the carat quality stamped on the bracelet but they're two separate bracelets.

I was just asking what makes this a mash up as I have since found the same examples as mine for sale with this same clasp and bracelet combo (unless I was missing the detail on my bracelet)

Thanks for the reply.
Old 12 February 2017, 08:35 PM   #7
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleluck View Post
No sorry, I was replying to the previous poster in relation to the thought the clasp and bracelet are not a match. What I meant was I've seen this same setup with the gold thickness in microns on the clasp and other ones with the carat quality stamped on the bracelet but they're two separate bracelets.

I was just asking what makes this a mash up as I have since found the same examples as mine for sale with this same clasp and bracelet combo (unless I was missing the detail on my bracelet)

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry confused this with a 78351 later band with steel inner clasp blades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk