The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > For Sale: ROLEX (brand) watches

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 20 October 2019, 07:20 AM   #1
SC1966
"TRF" Member

One owner (me !) 1977 Daytona 6265 Big Red Sigma

Hi everyone.

It is with a certain sadness but also with the hope that someone can enjoy it as much as I have, that I have decided to sell my Daytona.

I am not a dealer. This is my first time selling on this forum so dear moderators and administrators please excuse any error in etiquette or procedure. I have owned my watch for almost 40 years. I wore it a lot for about 20 years and then put it in the safe when my daughter was born as part of her college saving plan (she is now a sophomore at Stanford).

I bought this watch in 1982 in Monaco when I was about 15 years old (I can tell you the story on how I was able to achieve this minor miracle at this age if you are interested). 4 years later, I moved to the US on my own and have stayed ever since. I am sure I have pictures of me wearing the watch as early as 1982 stashed somewhere in a box but for now the oldest picture I found is my class picture taken in 1986 shortly after I moved to the states. In 1991, I remember visiting my parents in Monaco and sent the watch to service at Rolex. Back then I didn’t know anything about service dials and replacement parts. I got my watch back and didn’t think of it again. It is only recently that I learned that I dodged a major bullet back then. It turns out that my original dial, hands and bezel were left original and the only thing they swapped was the bracelet clasp (which is stamped “S” for service and has the correct 1991 date code). I believe it may have been lightly polished at that service in 1991 but I am not sure. It certainly has not been polished since. And it has not been serviced again since.

I also recently learned that I have a rare Big Red “Sigma” dial (correct for my 5.2m serial). You would think that I would have noticed the sigma markings over a 40 year period, and I must have, but I didn’t know the significance. It turns out that Sigma means that the hour indicators are in solid white gold as a premium feature. Who knew !

I am including in the listing a picture of me at my class of 1986 picture, one with my father in 1991, and one from yesterday as the last time I wear my watch. I know, I am not getting any younger but please be kind as more than 30 years have past from the class picture to today!

The watch is in good working condition but I am sure could use a service to be oiled. I just brought it to LA Watchworks where they replaced all the gaskets and pressure tested it. It is missing the lume dot at 1 o clock but otherwise the dial and hands look to be in fantastic original condition with sweet tritium patina. As mentioned, the case is unpolished (at least 28 years) and only a very light polish could have been performed in 1991. The bezel and case show a little sign of wear but overall are in excellent condition. The 78350 bracelet is still very tight with almost no stretch at all. I have an extra link that will be included.

This may not be the unworn NOS 50 year old unicorn but it’s pretty close. One owner, one service, and all the important bits are original and in excellent condition. And it’s a big red Sigma. Comes with original box and booklet. I can’t seem to find the other papers as of now.

I am in Los Angeles and would to meet any potential buyer in person. Not sure about shipping something of this value. I am thinking in person transaction could be best. Maybe wire transfer or cashiers check. We could meet at the Beverly Hills Rolex service center.

Price : $88,500 Offers are welcome but I did my homework and I now know the rarity of a “one owner big red Sigma” in this condition.

I reserve the right to choose the buyer, most likely based on location and ease of transaction.

Stephan@nusafurniture.com
Or (323) six nine 7 7955

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SC1966 is offline   Reply With Quote