The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 September 2005, 09:06 AM   #1
baseballduck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
Strange Comment From Rolex Rep

Tell me if you find this strange. I personally don't. Today when I was in the store to purchase my new watch (my favorite jewelery store in town). I asked John a.k.a. the salesman who helped us, if the yellow monster kept as good of time as a Rolex. He said it is usually the same or better. Mostly better. Anyway that struck up a conversation about good ole Rolex. I said that this was my Rolex alternative. I said I had been in the local AD before and they had a bigger selection then I thought they would have. John said that they were supposed to get the Rolex AD ship in town but for some reason didn't. Since he manages the place it made him quite mad. He said they could probably sell at least 10 a month. Anyway back to what I posted for. He said that when he was talking to the Rolex rep that he said "people don't buy our watches to keep time. There are a lot more watches out there that keep way better time". I know this is true, but considering it came from a Rolex rep was kinda suprising to me. What's your thoughts on this? One more question, why don't you think that they got the AD ship. They're one of the best jewelers in town.

Tyler
Member #84
baseballduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2005, 10:50 AM   #2
Rodentman
Banned

I daresay there are NOT a lot more mechanical watches that keep better time than a Rolex. A Rolex can be regulated to be very accurate and it tends to hold that accuracy over time, in different positions. Brand for brand I would match it against any other mechanical.

I think most people buy a mechanical for what it is, not that it keeps flawless time. Otherwise we'd all be wearing Eco-Drives and solar R/C watches. Perfect time, rugged, and cheap.
Rodentman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2005, 02:55 PM   #3
molex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballduck
He said that when he was talking to the Rolex rep that he said "people don't buy our watches to keep time. There are a lot more watches out there that keep way better time". I know this is true, but considering it came from a Rolex rep was kinda suprising to me. What's your thoughts on this?
Sounds to me like the Rolex rep has quite a good handle on why people buy their watches. I currently own 5 Rolexes, and I didn't buy a single one to tell time with. In fact, way back in the day my sig was "I never bought a watch so I could tell the time..."
molex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2005, 03:22 PM   #4
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
Agreed. The Rolex rep was speaking from a marketing perspective, and he's spot-on. COSC acknowledges that cheap quartz movements are more accurate than mechanical movements, and so they specify much tighter tolerances for quartz watches.

A mechanical kovement CAN be regulated to be absolutely accurate, but that's not the point. In fact, the acknowledgement of that not being the point is one of the underpinnings of Rolex's current market position. During the quartz wave, a lot of other manufacturers such as Omega broke ranks and rushed to the quartz camp to their detriment. Rolex, on the other hand, stuck to what they were doing and came out on top, at least in the sense that they're not now owned by Swatch or LVMH.

The idea of Rolex for both Rolex SA and their customers is that you do it because you want to, not because you have to. Works fine by me.
Old 26 September 2005, 01:10 AM   #5
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
I agree with everyone else here. I have Casio quartz watches that keep much better time than any of my Rolexes. My radio controlled Casio is always spot on. It's the watch I use to set the time on all my other watches. Every one of my mechanical watches drifts over time to a greater or lesser degree. But I didn't buy them for their accuracy. You buy high end watches for a variety of reasons. Rolex because they are rugged, my GP because of its world time complication, my JLC because it has two time zones, a power reserve indicator, and I like its looks. And with mechanical watches you never have to worry about changing a battery.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2005, 07:48 AM   #6
maverick
Banned

Watch: Rolex
As Patrick Heiniger reportedly stated, "We do not sell watches, we sell luxury items." Personally I think it is an overstatement but could be wrong. I have cruised many of the highest end watch forums and I have noticed some things. First, complaints, just like Rolex forums. Also the amount of time it takes them to be repaired can be many months and very expensive compared to Rolex. We sure take a lot more pictures of our watches than any other forum I have visited. Rolex seems like the only luxury watch manufacturer that makes a real rugged movement. I do not want a watch I have to baby along or worry it will break. So I an stuck with Rolex ;-) maverick
maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2005, 09:45 AM   #7
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
"...people don't buy our watches to keep time. There are a lot more watches out there that keep way better time".
"One more question, why don't you think that they got the AD ship. They're one of the best jewelers in town."

With that mental attitude, it's no wonder they don't get the AD ship!!

A Rolex is a superb mechanical timepiece.....one that can be finely tuned as Bob (Rodentman) said to within a second a day. I've never had any problems with any of my Rollies as far as accuracy is concerned.....and you guys know how anal I can be about that!!

A quartz watch is a quartz watch....and a mechanical one is a marvel....and never the twain shall meet!!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2005, 11:07 AM   #8
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Strange and Rolex marketing department go hand in hand.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote