The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 October 2005, 10:24 AM   #1
AJC
"TRF" Member

Replacing the dial on a GMT II

Hey Guys,

I am definitely sending my deliverd new Sept 1996 T series GMT II to Rolex for a service.

The lume on the dial is fairly ordinary and if I get Rolex to do a replacement dial do they put the original style dial back in (Marked Swiss-T<25) or do they put the new style dial in?

What I am saying in a round about way is,will it affect resale if I decide to sell it at a later date.(People thinking it to be a frankenwatch). Or would the Rolex service report be enough to satisfy most buyers.(More your WIS type people.)

Aaron
AJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2005, 10:44 AM   #2
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Watch: a gonna do?
They will put one that says swiss made. The T in T<25 stands for the lume material which is no longer being used since its radioactive. hth
RogerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2005, 11:14 AM   #3
maverick
Banned

Watch: Rolex
What????????????????

NO!! That watch is FANTASTIC! Re-dailing WHY? That watch is worth a lot just as is and they are going up in price fast. I almost bought a 16800 transitional Sub with the same type dial but the deal did not go through.(This last weekend) That looks like a transitional dial. Is it matte instead of glossy like the new ones? If it is, you will never find a new replacement dial. Rolex just announced that they MAY not service vintages watches. I am in the process of buying a red Sub and called them today regarding servicing. They will have to 'look' at the watch and decide if they will repair. The reason is they are running out of older parts. Also, you would ruin the value of the watch. Can you post the first 2 or 3 serial numbers? The Swiss - <T 25 on that dial makes it worth plenty considering it is a crystal one, they were not made very long. =) maverick
maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2005, 01:19 PM   #4
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
I would normally say leave it as is, but I did the vintage deal for a spell and the thing I liked least about vintage watches is the lack of glow. So Aaron, my 2.3393233 cents would be do what makes you most happy mate, you are the one that gets the pleasure out of it, not us.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2005, 01:50 PM   #5
maverick
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman
I would normally say leave it as is, but I did the vintage deal for a spell and the thing I liked least about vintage watches is the lack of glow. So Aaron, my 2.3393233 cents would be do what makes you most happy mate, you are the one that gets the pleasure out of it, not us.
That's true, it's your watch. I just wanted you to know the alternative. Of course Rolex could have a replacement dial, you never know with them. Good luck whatever you do. =) maverick
maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2005, 03:41 PM   #6
TARDIS
"TRF" Member

SWISS T<25 What it means

[QUOTE=AJC]Hey Guys,

I am definitely sending my deliverd new Sept 1996 T series GMT II to Rolex for a service.

The lume on the dial is fairly ordinary and if I get Rolex to do a replacement dial do they put the original style dial back in (Marked Swiss-T<25) or do they put the new style dial in?

Hey AJC that dial looks great to me, why change it? I discovered what the T<25 is all about.
The "T" means that the watch uses tritium as a luminous material. Tritium is mildly radioactive and will cause the luminous material to constantly glow for many years. Tritium's half-life is 12.5 years. The radioactivity is not harmful if the watch is not damaged, and even then only extensive exposure is risky (such as the people that painted the dials, and watchmakers). The "T" is marked on the dial as tritium is restricted in some closed environments (such as submarines). T Swiss Made T is the oldest tritium markings on the dial. Rolex reduced the amount of radioactive material to below 25 millicuries, and those watches are marked Swiss Made T-25 (put a less-than symbol instead of the dash--timezone can't handle the less-than symbol). Watches marked Swiss Made use Luminova--which is not radioactive--must be recharged by a bright light and will glow for several hours. During the transition from tritium to Luminova Rolex used dials marked T-25 and simply applied Luminova
So there you go.
TARDIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2005, 05:12 PM   #7
AJC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick
NO!! That watch is FANTASTIC! Re-dailing WHY? That watch is worth a lot just as is and they are going up in price fast. I almost bought a 16800 transitional Sub with the same type dial but the deal did not go through.(This last weekend) That looks like a transitional dial. Is it matte instead of glossy like the new ones? If it is, you will never find a new replacement dial. Rolex just announced that they MAY not service vintages watches. I am in the process of buying a red Sub and called them today regarding servicing. They will have to 'look' at the watch and decide if they will repair. The reason is they are running out of older parts. Also, you would ruin the value of the watch. Can you post the first 2 or 3 serial numbers? The Swiss - <T 25 on that dial makes it worth plenty considering it is a crystal one, they were not made very long. =) maverick
Hey Dennis,

The idea of replacing the dial was only because the lume was ordinary.To be quite honest it doesn't really worry me but I thought while the opportunity was there I would consider it,especially if Rolex were doing the job and if the cost wasn't over the top.

I would call the dial gloss (I haven't seen a matte dial) but it appears similar to other Rolex watches I have owned.Definitely a saphire crystal and the the serial number is T198xxx.

Any info you could give would be appreciated and if you beleive the dial is a harder to find example it will remain. I can live with that.

Aaron
Old 1 October 2005, 05:29 PM   #8
AJC
"TRF" Member

Hey Tardis,

Your getting the idea about all this Rolex stuff,well done.

Some of the other Rolex dials also had slightly different markings as Rolex used two dial manufacturers at one stage and eventually buying one of them out so it was "in house".

This was explained to me as sometimes the dials were inconsistant on the same series.(I have no idea if it was true.)

Aaron
Old 1 October 2005, 07:53 PM   #9
Hammer
"TRF" Member

I've got an Explorer with the old T<25 Lume.Radioactive, you say? That's a bit worrying!
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2005, 08:17 PM   #10
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer
I've got an Explorer with the old T<25 Lume.Radioactive, you say? That's a bit worrying!
Nothing to worry about I can assure you Hammer,and Aaron IMO leave the
dial as it it is mate.One thing most collectors hate is a redial,myself would
rather see a aged original dial any-day,and like Maverick said the older dialled
models are starting to go up in value.And if you do decide to go ahead insist
that you have your old dial back,they are now getting as rare as rocking
horse s##t to replace.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2005, 09:36 PM   #11
AJC
"TRF" Member

Up Date!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Guys,

The dial stays.

After Maverick's and Padi's post I have found it would be unwise to redial the watch.

I never bought it because of the dial but it now is an added bonus.the info you can pick up from forums is amazing and I would like to thank everyone for their assistance.

Here my shout,please have a beer on me.

Old 2 October 2005, 03:36 AM   #12
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Good move! Thanks and cheers

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2005, 11:38 AM   #13
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Atta boy Aaron, as long as you are happy mate, that is what matters.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote