The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 January 2016, 11:00 AM   #31
SpaceWanderer
Banned

With the new 5-year warranty, Rolex will likely start enforcing the terms of their warranty where they've been very lenient in the past. This means it's a contract between the buyer and Rolex. If you don't buy it from Rolex through an AD, the warranty is not valid. By getting the I.D. of the buyer, this insures should the watch need warranty work the original buyer is the person receiving the warranty work. This is no problem for anyone who buys their watch through legitimate means. The Rolex warranty applies to watches sold by Rolex to individual customers, not 3rd parties. If the original customer sells the watch to another private party, I think Rolex might honor the warranty but it's hard to say exactly. If you show up to get a warranty problem fixed and your name doesn't match that on the warranty card, I'm not sure what they'll do now, but they are certainly under zero obligation to honor it. This includes the provisions of Magnuson-Moss Act, because the act only applies to original purchasers. Automotive warranties are different.
SpaceWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2016, 12:04 PM   #32
carwash66
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor
Nope. First I've heard of it.
carwash66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2016, 04:28 PM   #33
IT Nerd
"TRF" Member

Watch: me flip
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerpac View Post
Out of state purchase?
Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieGuy View Post
Not a Rolex requirement. I work at an AD. No customer information is submitted to Rolex as to who the owner is. All we do is activate the warranty by swiping it through our credit card reader.
Thanks for that, I also confirmed this offline with someone I know who also works at an AD.

That said, my primary issue here is being deceived by the sales person. Making copies of a customer's identification under a false pretense is bad form and I'm not happy.
IT Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2016, 04:43 PM   #34
Rolex57
Banned

Watch: DSSD, YM2 SS
Just to chime in here again, I pulled out the box and paperwork from the YM2 SS I purchased a couple weeks ago for straight up cash. I too was asked for my driver license.

I pulled out the warrantee card from the sleeve and held it up to the light.

Guess what..............there was indication on the surface of the warrantee card that it had been swiped. This was on the side with the magnetic strip on both sides of the warrantee card.

I believe the AD used my Driver License for warrantee purposes and swiped the warrantee card through the Rolex swiper to activate the date of purchase and to officially start the 5 year warrantee period on the watch.

To the other's here who recently purchased a brand new Rolex, go pull out your plastic warrantee card and check for indication on the plastic surface that the card was swiped. You'll see ingrained marks like you would on your credit card or bank card accept not so pronounced.
Rolex57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2016, 06:30 PM   #35
madmole
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
In Europe they will be out of luck as European law states warranties are attached to the goods and not the owner and are always transferable

We also have a mandatory 2 year warranty on all goods in addition to the manufacturers own warranty
madmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2016, 06:56 PM   #36
bardm
"TRF" Member

Watch: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmole View Post
In Europe they will be out of luck as European law states warranties are attached to the goods and not the owner and are always transferable

We also have a mandatory 2 year warranty on all goods in addition to the manufacturers own warranty
In Norway that's actually 5 years mandatory warranty
Old 14 January 2016, 10:20 PM   #37
threeputt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex57 View Post
Just to chime in here again, I pulled out the box and paperwork from the YM2 SS I purchased a couple weeks ago for straight up cash. I too was asked for my driver license.

I pulled out the warrantee card from the sleeve and held it up to the light.

Guess what..............there was indication on the surface of the warrantee card that it had been swiped. This was on the side with the magnetic strip on both sides of the warrantee card.

I believe the AD used my Driver License for warrantee purposes and swiped the warrantee card through the Rolex swiper to activate the date of purchase and to officially start the 5 year warrantee period on the watch.

To the other's here who recently purchased a brand new Rolex, go pull out your plastic warrantee card and check for indication on the plastic surface that the card was swiped. You'll see ingrained marks like you would on your credit card or bank card accept not so pronounced.
Did you ask why they wanted to see your license?? When I got my BLNR, no such thing took place, AD told me no name goes with the warranty but they did swipe the card as you say to activate it.
threeputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2016, 10:33 PM   #38
Racerdj
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek-Philippe
This has never happened to me.
Old 14 January 2016, 11:00 PM   #39
ncsub
"TRF" Member

Does this mean that your name has to match the name on the card to get warranty work done? I thought that the warranty followed the watch and not the owner.
ncsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2016, 01:08 AM   #40
silverbullet818
"TRF" Member

I'm guessing it's retailers who want your private info.

Everyone is overzealous and wants people's private info.

If you are paying in cash I would politely decline. There is no need to get any more information about you especially when using cash.
silverbullet818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2016, 03:36 AM   #41
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceWanderer View Post
With the new 5-year warranty, Rolex will likely start enforcing the terms of their warranty where they've been very lenient in the past. This means it's a contract between the buyer and Rolex. If you don't buy it from Rolex through an AD, the warranty is not valid. By getting the I.D. of the buyer, this insures should the watch need warranty work the original buyer is the person receiving the warranty work. This is no problem for anyone who buys their watch through legitimate means. The Rolex warranty applies to watches sold by Rolex to individual customers, not 3rd parties. If the original customer sells the watch to another private party, I think Rolex might honor the warranty but it's hard to say exactly. If you show up to get a warranty problem fixed and your name doesn't match that on the warranty card, I'm not sure what they'll do now, but they are certainly under zero obligation to honor it. This includes the provisions of Magnuson-Moss Act, because the act only applies to original purchasers. Automotive warranties are different.

Ding!

There are PLENTY of products that require registration to activate warranty coverage and those warranties are NOT transferrable....Why not ROLEX?

Why since Rolex went to 5yrs warranty are SO many dealers suddenly asking for ID around the world and they all saying it's for warranty purposes? That's because it is...
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2016, 03:37 AM   #42
ilovewatchestoo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
This is interesting to read because when I got my submariner a few weeks ago they were entering my information in the system and were making it seem like it was to put my name to the warranty but in fact that was not the case. From what I'm reading they were just putting my information in their own system.

Would of someone loses the warranty card is it required to be presented when getting something serviced under warranty?
ilovewatchestoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2016, 03:54 AM   #43
threeputt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Ding!

There are PLENTY of products that require registration to activate warranty coverage and those warranties are NOT transferrable....Why not ROLEX?

Why since Rolex went to 5yrs warranty are SO many dealers suddenly asking for ID around the world and they all saying it's for warranty purposes? That's because it is...
I don't believe it is for warranty simply due to the inconsistency. If the Rolex mother ship insisted on this for their ADs, it would be done I believe. I bought my BLNR late last year, it came with the 5 year warranty and none of my personal information was sent to Rolex according to the AD. They did tell me they had to swipe the card to activate the warranty.
threeputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2016, 10:35 AM   #44
Rolex57
Banned

Watch: DSSD, YM2 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by threeputt View Post
Did you ask why they wanted to see your license?? When I got my BLNR, no such thing took place, AD told me no name goes with the warranty but they did swipe the card as you say to activate it.
I didn't ask. I kinda knew why they were doing it. In Canada due to anti-money laundering laws, any retailer who accepts in excess $10,000+ in cash, must fill out a declaration form for submission to Revenue Canada indicated how much, and from whom they received it.

When the AD asked me for it, in all honesty, I wasn't surprised.

Would it have killed the sale if I refused................who knows.
Rolex57 is offline   Reply With Quote