The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 January 2016, 03:26 PM   #1
B737
Banned

Watch: Rolex BLRO
New movements strategy

Hi,

Since the introduction of the new 3255 movements there have been a lot of questions about when it will be introduced in the whole Rolex lineup. It will happen but the question seem to be when. But why is Rolex introducing new models with the "old" movement - thinking of the YM and the OP for example. Since Rolex isn't changing their models very fast I guess this means that the 3255 at least in the YM will be around for a long time? Or could they just as well still update the movement in two years? If the "old" movement are being phased out, why are new watches introduced with that movmement. Could it even be so that they will keep the old movement in some of the models?
B737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2016, 04:07 PM   #2
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by B737 View Post
Hi,

Since the introduction of the new 3255 movements there have been a lot of questions about when it will be introduced in the whole Rolex lineup. It will happen but the question seem to be when. But why is Rolex introducing new models with the "old" movement - thinking of the YM and the OP for example. Since Rolex isn't changing their models very fast I guess this means that the 3255 at least in the YM will be around for a long time? Or could they just as well still update the movement in two years? If the "old" movement are being phased out, why are new watches introduced with that movmement. Could it even be so that they will keep the old movement in some of the models?
They are rewarding/incentivizing those who choose to buy the high margin DD40. Just as mercedes would introduce new options on the s class before the e and c....

Not sure if they will switch over mid reference but it's been done.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2016, 12:21 AM   #3
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
No one knows except Rolex.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2016, 02:03 AM   #4
johneh
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
The 3255 is the successor to the 3156, which was in the older Day-Dates. Why would they put a movement with a day/date complication in a watch that doesn't show the day such as the new YM?

They might make changes to the 3135 in the future to bring it to the same standard as the 3255, but I don't recall ever reading anything about them phasing it out at this point.
Old 15 January 2016, 02:25 AM   #5
beer
"TRF" Member

Watch: all
even when a new movement with DD40 accuracy comes to the sport watches they will likely put them in the gold models before the SS models
Old 15 January 2016, 03:05 AM   #6
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johneh View Post
The 3255 is the successor to the 3156, which was in the older Day-Dates. Why would they put a movement with a day/date complication in a watch that doesn't show the day such as the new YM?

They might make changes to the 3135 in the future to bring it to the same standard as the 3255, but I don't recall ever reading anything about them phasing it out at this point.
With correct regulation I would doubt if there would be little or no difference no matter what they call the movement number.Both are chronometers and tested to exactly the same standard to be certified.But Rolex after COSC testing further regulates the new movements to be slightly under the COSC spec. And I am sure that the cal 3135 or any other 3 series movement could could perform the same as the cal 3255.Now the biggest improvement with the cal 3255 is the power reserve and ball bearing rotor.As the Achilles heal in all the older 3 series is the rotor plain sleeve bearing.But in terms of accuracy will the new movement really be better, if so perhaps a second or so which is hardly mind blowing out of 86400 in a day.And if Rolex has to re-regulate and test every single movement for the complete Rolex line up.And if movement is introduced right across the range, production of complete watch number would have to suffer. Or perhaps they have invented another few robots to do these second regulation tasks or is it just plain old marketing which Rolex is very good at..

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2016, 06:39 AM   #7
B737
Banned

Watch: Rolex BLRO
Quote:

But I guess alterations of the dd movements with gmt function for example is logical as a next step? The 3255 only the first in a new movement family?
B737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2016, 06:55 AM   #8
Constantine
Banned

For some strange reason when people talk about the 3255 movement and how the 3135 should be updated, they always forget that the updated 3235 already exists? The one in the Datejust Pearlmaster that was launched together with the DD 40.

So the movement exists, and I am sure Rolex will put it in the other watches eventually.
Constantine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2016, 06:56 AM   #9
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:

I agree, as the 3255 has the Day complication it will take time to filter down to the other models.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2016, 07:06 AM   #10
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantine View Post
For some strange reason when people talk about the 3255 movement and how the 3135 should be updated, they always forget that the updated 3235 already exists? The one in the Datejust Pearlmaster that was launched together with the DD 40.

So the movement exists, and I am sure Rolex will put it in the other watches eventually.

Old 15 January 2016, 07:14 AM   #11
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
My guess would be yes... as time goes by they will make similar updates to the other models. If for no other reason to appear to compete with other watch brands.
Old 15 January 2016, 07:15 AM   #12
andrewd
"TRF" Member

I'm interested in a new Rolex movement only after it has a 20 year track record of flawless performance.
andrewd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2016, 08:51 PM   #13
Norms
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
They are rewarding/incentivizing those who choose to buy the high margin DD40. Just as mercedes would introduce new options on the s class before the e and c....

Not sure if they will switch over mid reference but it's been done.

Mercedes actually rolls out all I its newest technology and options on the E class. It's their tester cause low tier options and higher end ones apply to it. S class gets it after it's been refined a bit, with some gratuitous leather trim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 15 January 2016, 10:42 PM   #14
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantine View Post

Lets get things perfectly straight the cal 3235 is just a cal 3135 only difference between the two parachrom hairspring and paraflex shock system nothing more.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 15 January 2016, 10:49 PM   #15
Alpino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Lets get things perfectly straight the cal 3235 is just a cal 3135 only difference between the two parachrom hairspring and paraflex shock system nothing more.

3235 is a movement of the new Rolex generation. Like 3255 it have 70h autonomy , a new escapement (called chronergy) , 14 new patents used , more than 90% new components ...
Alpino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2016, 11:06 PM   #16
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpino View Post

3235 is a movement of the new Rolex generation. Like 3255 it have 70h autonomy , a new escapement (called chronergy) , 14 new patents used , more than 90% new components ...
My mistake dont know why was thinking about the cal 3132.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club