The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 May 2017, 12:35 AM   #151
schnitzerphilip
Banned

Watch: Daytona C 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcy90 View Post
Car > Rolex always & especially at age 18. You can have sex in the back seat of the car, the Rolex will not get you laid! Lmaooo
Let me tell you something, the Rolex got me more action than my car ever did.

See, you can't wear a BMW on your wrist. You can't take your beach house on the subway. You can't carry your trust fund into Starbucks. The Rolex, different story.

Cutie coed sees him studying macroeconomics in the library with an $8,000 watch on his wrist, it's all over for her boyfriend in his Casio.
schnitzerphilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2017, 02:19 AM   #152
Gus2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 116610LV HULK
This is what I would do:

1. Buy the car
2. Get a job you can drive to with your car
3. Save most of the money from your new job
4. Get the Sub with the money
Gus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2017, 03:27 AM   #153
530ExplorerII
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Explorer II
Asking a forum full of Rolex enthusiasts about whether or not you should buy a Rolex is a lot like going to a horse track and asking everyone there if you should place a bet on a horse...I mean what answer do you think you are going to get? If you're looking for it, you'll find a way to rationalize the decision.

Honestly, we don't have enough information about you and your situation to give you any kind of advice and if you have to ask, you're not asking the right people. What do your parents think? Who's paying for your schooling? Are all your other expenses covered? Do you have an emergency fund set up for a rainy day? Below are just a couple questions you might want to ask yourself, before asking a group of enablers (and trust me, they are enablers ):

1) Am I comfortable financially, including having 6 months of living expenses liquid in the bank?
2) Do I have any high interest or revolving debt that I should pay down first?
3) Do I have any future financial obligations that I'll be hard-pressed to make if I purchase this item?

If the answer to all those questions is no and you're truly debating on a trade-off of where to spend the cash on, then go for it. Someone on this forum previously said, "A Rolex is a thing of want, not of need" and that is very true. I bought my first Rolex at 36, but I also had the equivalent of my annual salary in cash in the bank, a home purchased, 2 cars paid off and no credit card debt. I bought it to mark a special occasion and it's something I'll cherish forever. I would think long and hard about this decision and if I were you, at 18 that $ would be better served as an investment or a great start at saving up for a down payment on a house. I bought my first house at 26, right out of college with my first real job. That investment served me better than any of the watches that I've ever purchased.
530ExplorerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2017, 01:12 PM   #154
thehighwayjazz
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II 216570
I have my one (and only so far) Rolex when I was 41 (which is last year :D), although I don't have my own house till now and just experienced a "civilized" divorce.
In my defense, if I cannot conquer time or do time travel, at least I can conquer watches......
Seriously, just do whatever you want that makes you happy. People has different priorities so nobody should interfere with your priority.
thehighwayjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2017, 01:23 PM   #155
mr.president1
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX OMEGA
If you have a great bus system, then go for it! When I lived in Europe for a short period of time, I didn't have a car, I always used public transportation or walked. It was very different than being in the U.S., but I would never buy a car if I went back to where I stayed in Europe.

That being said, if the bus gets you where you need to be hassle free, then go for the no date sub. If your friends think its weird, so what, as long as you don't.. Keep us posted!

ROLEX & OMEGA
mr.president1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2017, 04:27 PM   #156
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
What's the outcome here? Did you get one?
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2017, 06:12 PM   #157
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
I don't think the OP has returned to this thread..
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote