The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 June 2017, 04:27 AM   #121
lovetherolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hougenie View Post
Not even similar. Bad shout

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
Thanks, you saved me the trouble.
lovetherolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2017, 04:46 AM   #122
schnitzerphilip
Banned

Watch: Daytona C 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hougenie View Post
Yes it is. However, I think the vast majority of people are the former and therefore the AD should just get on with selling the watch to the next person on the list. Who are they to police it? If Rolex have a problem then that's up to them to sort. Most people want a watch to keep and I think a little faith and trust in this would go a long way.
You keep talking about the philosophy and not the reality. It doesn't matter what's right or wrong. At this particular AD you either accept his terms and get the watch engraved or he moves on to the next person on the list until he finds someone who will accept his terms.

Harvard can pick who they want to accept under several subjective stipulations, a country club can reject an applicant on any grounds, a dog breeder is not obligated to sell a purebred pup to anyone who wants one, and this jewelry store is not obliged to bestow a Daytona onto someone under usual rules in this particular environment. Those are realities. Not saying I agree with them, but that's how it is.
schnitzerphilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2017, 04:53 AM   #123
lovetherolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnitzerphilip View Post
My son could have gotten into Harvard but they wanted him to do this essay and drive up there to interview with them, I told them no way, that's crazy, so now he goes to a state school.
You're going to have to do better than that if your offspring are going to have anything to do with Harvard.

I kid I kid!

To each their own, as before I don't really care what OP does with his life, but it sets a nasty precedent that affects those who come after him. Oh and above all the flippers, and ADs who divert to grey market, middle men with no purpose other than to line their own pockets.

Blah blah blah this thread is dead.
lovetherolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2017, 04:58 AM   #124
versatile1
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ2 Blue Romans
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauffee View Post
There have been a few instances reported on here of ADs requiring case back engraving as a condition of purchase. I personally think it's wrong to require me to modify my own property, but I wouldn't lose much sleep over it. As Snow-Dweller said, you can always get a replacement case back. In this case, better to enjoy the watch than stand on principle, in my opinion.
I wonder how Rolex Head Office would feel knowing that an AD is making clients "Modify" their Rolex?!!?

Life is a cruel teacher
It will give you the test first and the lesson later
versatile1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2017, 06:10 AM   #125
schnitzerphilip
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetherolex View Post
You're going to have to do better than that if your offspring are going to have anything to do with Harvard. I kid I kid!
LOL, yes, he's not a Harvard man, but in that tier right below Ivy League he's doing quite well as he heads into his second year. He's interning in Manhattan in his field as we speak, he'll get a great job as soon as he graduates, quite proud of him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetherolex View Post
To each their own, as before I don't really care what OP does with his life, but it sets a nasty precedent that affects those who come after him. Oh and above all the flippers, and ADs who divert to grey market, middle men with no purpose other than to line their own pockets.
We are all on the same page when it comes to AD's honoring their waitlists and providing Daytona's based on running order and not favoritism or back-dooring for a profit, we want these to fall into the hands of true enthusiasts such as ourselves.

That said, I'd be a hypocrite not to recognize that I had to utilize the grey market for my Daytona Ceramic last month, I was a good boy and waited on a list in NYC in which I moved 9 spots in a year and still have 68 more to go. But it must be said that I don't blame the AD's in these tough times for the Swiss watch industry, these mom and pop jewelry stores are going belly-up by the handful, so if it helps them by making $3,000 on a transaction that has the watch still wind up in the hands of an enthusiast I'm okay with it. And the grey dealer serves a purpose in this, he keeps the AD's clean of involvement.

The big problem here is Rolex and the way they curtail mass production of the SS Daytona just for the marketing lure. If they made enough to satisfy demand the whole problem is solved. If the mom and pop AD's have a waitlist of 50 people, just ship them 50 Daytona's, would be very simple.
Old 3 June 2017, 06:17 AM   #126
schnitzerphilip
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by versatile1 View Post
I wonder how Rolex Head Office would feel knowing that an AD is making clients "Modify" their Rolex?!!?
If I'm being honest, I actually think Rolex would like it. Their objective with the SS Daytona has been the same for decades- withhold production as a marketing campaign that fosters the mystique and desirability of the brand. Articles like the one a few months back in the NY Times talking about it's scarcity and word of mouth like this in social media about the extremes the AD's are going to on selective distribution only add to the allure.

Look, none of this is right but in the end thousands of people are completely excited about it, want one because it's so hard to obtain, and if anyone wants a Daytona Ceramic by Monday they can have it.
Old 3 June 2017, 08:16 AM   #127
dera
"TRF" Member

Ok, so what limitations they have for the engraving? Could you ask them to engrave the whole book of Genesis on it? Or some ridiculously difficult image, or something like that.
If (as you should!) you intend to replace the caseback, I would make them work for it a bit :)
I would also make a point to go through the same AD to have them send it to RSC for caseback replacement... They are not allowed to say no...
dera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2017, 08:21 AM   #128
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dera View Post
Ok, so what limitations they have for the engraving? Could you ask them to engrave the whole book of Genesis on it? Or some ridiculously difficult image, or something like that.
If (as you should!) you intend to replace the caseback, I would make them work for it a bit :)
I would also make a point to go through the same AD to have them send it to RSC for caseback replacement... They are not allowed to say no...
Of course they can say no.
RSC could say no to the request too.
Old 3 June 2017, 10:18 AM   #129
dera
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjclark32 View Post
Of course they can say no.
RSC could say no to the request too.
AD cannot say no to a Rolex service request. They have to send it to RSC.
If they say no, bring it up with Rolex HQ, that's against the AD rules.
dera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2017, 10:51 AM   #130
flickroll
"TRF" Member

I'd tell them to go F themselves and then call RUSA and tell them what happened. Might not help much as my experience has been RUSA is generally not very helpful.
flickroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2017, 11:26 AM   #131
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by versatile1 View Post
I'm sure they have been made aware of it by irate callers. I'm sure that they don't care.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2017, 12:49 PM   #132
seankendall
Banned

It's simple

I would do my best to stick it to the dealer and then not pay for it. If I couldn't do that I'd give em my patterned "f** YOU."
seankendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2017, 07:37 PM   #133
regnant
"TRF" Member

Engraving your name on the case back is pure nonsense, sorry
Old 3 June 2017, 08:15 PM   #134
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Congrats on your watch but this whole engraving thing is ridiculous..
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2017, 08:53 PM   #135
David cote
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Watches etc
I am not sure what these AD are doing,

1) There already in the secondary markets selling for way over list.
2) There going to make a shit ton of them for the next who knows many years.
3) Most AD are already capitalizing on this. Flipping to grey market dealers.
4) It makes no sense to make a customer engrave his own watch.

I guess this is a product of our own Daytona problem.

David cote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2017, 10:19 PM   #136
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
I guess ADs don't want buyers competing in the aftermarket with the ones they sell out the backdoor. As much as I think I want a Daytona, I don't think I could stomach this strong arm tactic on something I'm purchasing and would walk.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2017, 10:22 PM   #137
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Any pics? Have you collected it yet?
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2017, 11:16 PM   #138
rodneygt3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
How about the AD's telling you at the time you put your name on the list the stipulations and not when the watch is ready? I don't agree with forcing the engraving, but at least you would know upfront and it is not something you find out a year after waiting for the watch.
rodneygt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2017, 12:41 AM   #139
benvh
"TRF" Member

When they asked your name you should have responded "For Sale: $16,000"

Ben
benvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2017, 01:57 AM   #140
Watch This
Banned

Watch: SS YMII
This has ben discussed here so many times. Usually results in a 50-50 split of opinion. Mandatory engraving is clearly not "official" Rolex policy (I would love to see written proof to the contrary) and I'm confident Rolex has received many a letter about the practice. AD's (some) are apparently undeterred.

Ironically, the practice does nothing to prevent flipping as a new caseback is cheap and built in to a flipper's profit. With plenty of margin to spare.

I find the demand obnoxious and insulting. I'm spending my hard earned money for an expensive item. Wanna tell me what I can legally do with it? Not happening.
Watch This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2017, 04:35 AM   #141
LBC4225
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona Ceramic
I paid $13500 for mine.
12,400 = MSRP
1,100 = taxes

For that amount, I would be damned if an AD is going to tell me if I had to engrave it. Your buying a Rolex, not a Timex.
LBC4225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2017, 01:36 AM   #142
asudarno
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
Congrats dude! So hows the engraved 500LN? Any pic update? @barto78
Next Daytona C 116500LN
asudarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2020, 04:42 AM   #143
sql
"TRF" Member

Any news? Pics?
sql is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2020, 04:47 AM   #144
Odie-r
"TRF" Member

You got the watch you want, and for that I say, Congratulations.
Old 28 January 2020, 05:11 AM   #145
socalwatchcollector
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pateks Plural
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejvette View Post
have your name engraved ....seriously ....thats ridiculous

+1
socalwatchcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2020, 05:35 AM   #146
fooey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Quite a few now!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjclark32 View Post
Congrats!
And a free engraving too (best way to look at it imo)
They will probably charge £100 for the engraving!
fooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2020, 05:44 AM   #147
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
I think that if you say yes to the engraving they will finally not engrave it. rather its a means to ensure higher-ups that you ultimately agreed and that you're not a flipper.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2020, 05:49 AM   #148
QRX77
"TRF" Member

Watch: your words...
I would not be surprised if when you go to collect nothing has been done. This might just be the ADs attempt to ensure not selling to a flipper. Maybe they think genuine keepers would not mind where as a flipper might be put off at the stipulation, because of replacing, testing issues etc. etc.

''Time is precious, waste it wisely''
QRX77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2020, 05:52 AM   #149
franktehtank
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, GMT
I'm all for people engraving their watch casebacks, but it shouldn't be forced on them. I would counter by offering to let them hang on to the warranty card for a year. If you intend on keeping the watch, this shouldn't be an issue. If you plan on flipping it, well... I have no advice.

If you wanted to be really skeezy, you could say "sure that's fine", then as soon as you pay for the watch and they swipe the warranty card, tell them "I changed my mind". I'm not sure if they can reverse that, or if they'd have the nerve to reverse it even if they could.
franktehtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2020, 05:52 AM   #150
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

The thread is nearly three years old and the dude hasn’t been on here for nearly a year guys, spare him your WISdom.