The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 21 June 2017, 04:37 PM   #1
Hank
"TRF" Member

Which casual dress watch?

Hello again. I recently posted seeking your opinions on whether my newly acquired GP 1966 in 44mm looked too big on me. After some consideration, I decided to flip it for something smaller. Here are the runners up -
IMG_9960.JPG
IMG_9961.JPG

Which one should I go for? Your thoughts would be appreciated as always.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2017, 04:50 PM   #2
Star Ferry
Banned

No wrong choices, here -- they all look cool.

My favorite is definitely the GO with panorama date, moonphase, and the rose gold case
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2017, 05:06 PM   #3
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

I would go IWC. However, i prefer the Portugieser automatic as opposed to the chronograph. Size difference is negligible at 41 vs 42mm. Sub dials at 3 and 9 look better to me than ones at 12 and 6
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2017, 06:24 PM   #4
SSCosmo
"TRF" Member

I'd like to help out, but your post provides no information about what you're looking for in this particular acquisition, what you like about each of these watches, or any other information that might help us provide meaningful feedback.

While all three are very nice watches, they are also very different. I think one key question you have to ask yourself is which of the sets of complications those three watches offer do you prefer or like the most? Also, isn't the IWC at a significantly lower price point than the other two?
SSCosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2017, 08:18 PM   #5
PJ S
Banned

Hank, if you haven’t yet sold the Girard Perregaux, then save yourself money by just wearing it. The photos in your other thread indicate that it’s perfectly fine on your wrist, and better fitting than some of the wristshots from members showing off their new AP ROOC 44!

If the watch is already gone, then get the Glashutte Original, but look for the less formal previous generation Senator, without the Roman Numerals.
However, if you fancy it because of the moonphase and big date, then don’t be blind to the GP 1966 with the same complications.

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/girardper...-id3971809.htm – one of 50 pieces produced in RG (another 50 were made with WG).
https://www.chrono24.co.uk/girardper...-id5493229.htm
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Girard-Perre...-/141879112507 – 200 pieces Ltd Edition.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2017, 08:31 PM   #6
youthagainsttt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Piaget,Rolex,AP,HB
Definitely for the master geographic, it's a great watch especially if you're a frequent traveller
youthagainsttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2017, 09:15 PM   #7
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youthagainsttt View Post
Definitely for the master geographic, it's a great watch especially if you're a frequent traveller
^^^Agree.
Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 01:34 AM   #8
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
The IWC chrono wears big.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 01:43 AM   #9
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
JLC
Old 22 June 2017, 02:38 AM   #10
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

I like the JLC.
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 04:58 AM   #11
Le Chef
"TRF" Member

I would go for the IWC - classic design and the rg hands and numerals make it look sophisticated. The Geographique is a nice watch but in truth it's a poor travel watch in that the small dial is "local" and the main dial is "home". If you travel out of your timezone this configuration is the opposite of what you need.
Le Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 05:43 AM   #12
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
I like the JLC
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 12:48 PM   #13
Hank
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSCosmo View Post
I'd like to help out, but your post provides no information about what you're looking for in this particular acquisition, what you like about each of these watches, or any other information that might help us provide meaningful feedback.

While all three are very nice watches, they are also very different. I think one key question you have to ask yourself is which of the sets of complications those three watches offer do you prefer or like the most? Also, isn't the IWC at a significantly lower price point than the other two?

Here is a photo of my current collection. I'm not looking for any particular complication. Just looking to add a "slightly" dressier watch to complement my collection.

I am open to other suggestions as well. Thanks!

Old 22 June 2017, 12:53 PM   #14
Hank
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
Hank, if you haven’t yet sold the Girard Perregaux, then save yourself money by just wearing it. The photos in your other thread indicate that it’s perfectly fine on your wrist, and better fitting than some of the wristshots from members showing off their new AP ROOC 44!

If the watch is already gone, then get the Glashutte Original, but look for the less formal previous generation Senator, without the Roman Numerals.
However, if you fancy it because of the moonphase and big date, then don’t be blind to the GP 1966 with the same complications.

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/girardper...-id3971809.htm – one of 50 pieces produced in RG (another 50 were made with WG).
https://www.chrono24.co.uk/girardper...-id5493229.htm
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Girard-Perre...-/141879112507 – 200 pieces Ltd Edition.

I haven't sold it yet. Still on the fence. Thanks a lot for your advice!

Old 22 June 2017, 02:04 PM   #15
SSCosmo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
Here is a photo of my current collection. I'm not looking for any particular complication. Just looking to add a "slightly" dressier watch to complement my collection.
I am open to other suggestions as well. Thanks!

Looking at your previous posts and all of the great watches you have owned, I'm not sure why you think any of these watches would end up satisfying you. I mean, you've already bought and sold some really nice and slightly dressy watches from Lange and VC, which I think are all better than any of the three you have here.

Nevertheless, I guess we all have our reasons for buying, selling and collecting watches, so I'll just stick to your original question. Of the three, I think you should go with the JLC. You've already had some great IWC Portugese watches, which you no longer have, so I don't think the Portugese Chrono will be any different. It seems you've also owned at least one GO watch, which you no longer have, that is somewhat similar in looks to the one you posted here (except the previous one was a dark color dial). The JLC is probably the most different compared to the watches you've had before (at least the ones I've seen in some of your posts). It's also a complication you don't currently have, and I think it looks the best looking out of the three.

Good luck and thanks for giving me an example of someone I can point to when I need to show my wife that my watch obsession could be A LOT worse
SSCosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 04:41 PM   #16
Hank
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSCosmo View Post
Looking at your previous posts and all of the great watches you have owned, I'm not sure why you think any of these watches would end up satisfying you. I mean, you've already bought and sold some really nice and slightly dressy watches from Lange and VC, which I think are all better than any of the three you have here.

Nevertheless, I guess we all have our reasons for buying, selling and collecting watches, so I'll just stick to your original question. Of the three, I think you should go with the JLC. You've already had some great IWC Portugese watches, which you no longer have, so I don't think the Portugese Chrono will be any different. It seems you've also owned at least one GO watch, which you no longer have, that is somewhat similar in looks to the one you posted here (except the previous one was a dark color dial). The JLC is probably the most different compared to the watches you've had before (at least the ones I've seen in some of your posts). It's also a complication you don't currently have, and I think it looks the best looking out of the three.

Good luck and thanks for giving me an example of someone I can point to when I need to show my wife that my watch obsession could be A LOT worse

Wow~ I am very surprised, flattered rather, that someone actually paid attention to my sporadic and spontaneous journey of watch collecting. Yes, I've been through a lot of nice timepieces including Pateks, VCs, Langes and more. The three watches that I'm looking at currently (or any particular watch for that matter) probably won't appease my insatiable obsession with watches. I guess this expensive hobby of ours is just one form of entertainment.

Anyway, I really do appreciate your genuine input. The JLC is indeed very different from anything else I've had in the past. Well, the complication, if I recall correctly, is the same as the VC Overseas Dual Time =)

Old 23 June 2017, 06:16 AM   #17
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

of those i like the jlc the best
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 12:15 PM   #18
McLovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC
The JLC is the standout
McLovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 06:29 AM   #19
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
I owned that JLC, and its a great watch. I was wearing my Reverso Grande GMT every time I traveled, so let the Master Geographic go. If I wanted something like it, I'd quickly buy it again.
bobernet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 06:33 AM   #20
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

JLC is the way I'd go.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 06:33 AM   #21
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
Here's a little something to tempt you...
bobernet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 07:02 AM   #22
mdgrwl
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Dealer
The IWC is a touch "casual" - but that could be a good thing depending on what you want.

The GO is pure classic dress.

The JLC is a modern take on dress IMO.

Narrow it down and go from there.
mdgrwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 07:44 AM   #23
Peterandwatches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167/15400/Sub/JLC
Another vote to JLC. While I do think it's a bit busy, it looks like your GP is your simple dress watch.

If you like the Geographic, I'd take a look at the JLC Master Calendar. Especially used, it's hard to get better value. The RDM and MUT Moon are fantastic choices as well.
Peterandwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 01:39 PM   #24
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Another vote for the JLC. Beautiful watch.

You're right, it is the same movement as the VC as well as the AP dual time (I believe). The movement is made by JLC, and their dial treatment is so much better than both VC and AP in this instance.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 07:57 PM   #25
regnant
"TRF" Member

My vote goes to Glashutte albeit Jaeger must be a better watch and a brand with a remarkable history. Because I dislike date in sub dials that's it, a nitpicking but a deal breaker for me
Old 27 June 2017, 08:51 PM   #26
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Of the watches you are considering I prefer the JLC. I like the brand, the look and the complications.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 10:11 AM   #27
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
JLC. Wears better than that GO for casual purposes. I tried both of them on and went with the Master Geo.
Old 28 June 2017, 03:53 PM   #28
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterandwatches View Post
Another vote to JLC. While I do think it's a bit busy, it looks like your GP is your simple dress watch.

If you like the Geographic, I'd take a look at the JLC Master Calendar. Especially used, it's hard to get better value. The RDM and MUT Moon are fantastic choices as well.
+1

JLC are a steal today given the pre-loved prices. JLC Master Calendar will also feel a bit smaller on the wrist compared to Master Geographic. You can't go wrong with either of the choices though.
Old 28 June 2017, 04:43 PM   #29
multimedia
"TRF" Member

I agree, they all look good. Personally, out of these 3, I would go with the Glashutte (also really like that bran).

Cheers,
Joe
Old 29 June 2017, 01:21 AM   #30
Hank
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobernet View Post
Here's a little something to tempt you...

Wow. She is a beauty! Is that a brown croc?