The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 June 2017, 06:41 AM   #1
touchdowntodd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deep Sea Sea Dwell
Currently very upset with Rolex

So ... Long story short (as possible) ... for those that dont know me.. im a normal guy, lower salary, work 60 hours a week, etc.. Saved for years to buy a Rolex again after having to sell my GMT after losing a previous job and being unemployed 2+ years.. .. So, I saved $25-50-100 a paycheck whatever I could until I could buy in again...

I end up with a Sept. 2013 purchased Deep Sea ... I wear it daily, enjoy it.. etc

Fast forward to this weekend.. I notice on only a 45 degree angle, that i get a humming vibration from the rotor (i can feel it, and yes, I know its the shaft, lube, or weights...). ... i can feel it "turn" 1 time, not continuous

Today.. I take it in to my AD (first day off since feeling it) ... and ask.. the tech right away feels it, and says "yup, the lube is drying up" ... now.. normal model, no issue.. they could pop the case back there, and check. Even tech says more than likely a quick, simple, and cheap fix... BUTTTTT ... Deep Sea, as i found out.. they cannot open due to the pressurizing, case size, etc... (Hopefully this is true, as they have never lied to me in all these years)... so the only option... RSC ...

Now... i realize that the 5 year warranty didnt kick in until 2015.. I realize my year was granted an additional 1 year.. but still, i find myself 9 months out of that warranty now... and my issue is 95% according to the tech simply lubrication... this watch sees no diving, normal wear, no drops or bangs, im very nice on this watch.. its my baby ...

so .. heres my anger.. as a mechanically inclined individual.. how can Rolex justify a 3-4yr old sealed watch drying up on lube? And how can this result in my having to spend $700-1000 likely for a service? For a guy like me, that will take 3-4 months just to pay off on credit card.. I called RSC, and they had a nice way of basically telling me sorry, warranty is out, send in for full service.. This is like having a 3 year old Toyota thats losing transmission fluid in my mind.. there is no excuse

so what do i do ...?

enjoy the model I love.. or when back from service sell, and downgrade to a sub or something that my AD can tinker with?

Should i think this will happen again? this watch otherwise, needs no service.. cosmetically its great, running great (within spec), keeping great reserve, etc...

I realize maybe someone in my income bracket doesnt "deserve" a Rolex, maybe shouldnt get to enjoy it.. but i busted my ass to get this thing.. now here i am a few years later looking at a full service? That just seems like pure shit!

thoughts? advice?
touchdowntodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 06:43 AM   #2
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
i think there's something more to it than "lube drying up" -- if that at all.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 06:49 AM   #3
Canefan1
Banned

I'm very sorry to read this. Hope this all works out for you and hang in there.
Canefan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 06:50 AM   #4
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
I thought the oil used was a pfpe and pretty close to inert and certainly wouldn't dry up in such a short time. Someone correct me if they now differently.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 06:50 AM   #5
touchdowntodd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
even if rotor shaft, or a weights issue...

how do you justify that on a watch of this caliber thats this new? and hows that fair to the consumer?

The AD smith was willing to bet on it being dried

regardless tho ... i mean.. were discussing a $13k watch thats 3.5 years old ... thats outright rediculous
Old 27 June 2017, 06:51 AM   #6
touchdowntodd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
I thought the oil used was a pfpe and pretty close to inert and certainly wouldn't dry up in such a short time. Someone correct me if they now differently.

AD smith said hes had 7-8 sport watches in the last few months alone that were drying up .. all 2-5 years old ...

crazy
Old 27 June 2017, 06:53 AM   #7
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Todd, sorry to hear about this. What you describe is not something I have experienced with any of my watches over the years. I thought the synthetic lubricants they used these days are designed to last many years. That seems odd. Maybe reach out to one of the watch smiths here on the forum.

Of course you deserve your Rolex. You worked for it.

Good luck finding a solution.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 06:54 AM   #8
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by touchdowntodd View Post
AD smith said hes had 7-8 sport watches in the last few months alone that were drying up .. all 2-5 years old ...

crazy
well then, there's clearly a problem, and its your argument for a goodwill service form an RSC.

the AD is your advocate in these instances and the squeaky wheel gets the oil -- no pun intended.

(well, maybe a little one).
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 06:56 AM   #9
KenNethcole
"TRF" Member

If this was bought used do you know the full history on it? Something might have happen to the watch with the previous owner perhap.
Either way once it's serviced it will give you years of enjoyment. If you trully like the watch just keep it.
KenNethcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 06:57 AM   #10
touchdowntodd
"TRF" Member

honestly Chewbacca, I NEED THAT .. a decent lil laugh..

im just upset.. AD agrees that they should do something.. hopefully once inspected, its the lube issue, or something minor, and AD can back me in my argument.. 9 months out of warranty is a decent chunk of time, dont get me wrong.. but were talking a 3 year warranty on something that now gets 5 year.. so hopefully they have some kindness on it.. RSC did state when i spoke with them that they may be able to pro rate.. or do something if a warranty issue

BUT .. long term... can i even afford to stick with what i love if it has to be sent to RSC vs having a reputable AD give it a glance over? or do i have to size down to fit the "norm" of tools theyre allowed in shop.. thats equally depressing
Old 27 June 2017, 06:58 AM   #11
touchdowntodd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenNethcole View Post
If this was bought used do you know the full history on it? Something might have happen to the watch with the previous owner perhap.
Either way once it's serviced it will give you years of enjoyment. If you trully like the watch just keep it.

it was purchased used (perhaps 6 months old at latest).. however, ive had it probably 3 years now, no issues.. i agree there may have been something else, but highly unlikely with me having it the vast majority of its life issue free IMO
Old 27 June 2017, 06:59 AM   #12
toneafficianado
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Feeling your pain.
I would get a second opinion and get the service if that's the only option then promptly put it on the used market as "just serviced with new warranty card".
I'd then probably get an AP or an Omega !
toneafficianado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 06:59 AM   #13
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

It sucks but stuff happens to mechanical watches. The modern lubricants inside wouldn't dry up thought (impossible) if there weren't other factors involved and it was properly sealed. So if indeed the lubricants are dried/gone....you have other issues with the watch anyway.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 07:16 AM   #14
Big Bill
"TRF" Member

Watch: DEEPSEA D-Blue
Hey Todd,
Sorry to hear about the problem you are having with your watch.
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 07:23 AM   #15
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
I would be vexed as well; hopefully, you get the situation sorted to your satisfaction.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 07:29 AM   #16
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I agree with everyone. Synthetic oils should not dry up unless there is some other issue. Get a second opinion if you can.

Most newer Rolexes (like yours) should be able to go 10 years without service. There are exceptions and yours may be one.

You don't know what the previous owner had done, or how many times he had the case opened.

If it were me, I would send it to the RSC and bite the bullet on costs. Once they fix what is ever wrong, it should be good for 10 more years or so.

Luxury mechanical watches have a relatively high maintenance cost (unless you are rich). But a Rolex, once fixed, should not need much maintenance.

Best of luck.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 07:37 AM   #17
Rocco21
Banned

Watch: 126660,126600
I would take it to a good watch guy and have him fix it.Should be much cheaper than Rolex.
Rocco21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 07:37 AM   #18
cda555
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc and PO
Maybe try an independent repair shop that has a Rolex parts account. Perhaps they can pop it open to see if it just needs some lube?
cda555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 07:39 AM   #19
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Send it to RSC for a (free) quote. See what they say when they have opened it up.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 07:39 AM   #20
TG3N
"TRF" Member

That sucks, I hope you get this resolved without too much hassle or expense.

As regards the AD having to send the watch to an RSC, is that perhaps something to do with the DSSD's 3,900m depth rating? I recall reading a few years back that the huge depth rating required testing on a different, much more heavy duty machine than the regular pressure tester - it used to be that Rolex Geneva had the only one (developed in partnership with the COMEX professional dive outfit, I believe), so all DSSDs required servicing in Switzerland.

I've since read (I think) that other RSCs now have more local access to such a machine (possibly Singapore, maybe Dallas?). I don't know, but it could explain why an AD or authorized RSC could get the case back off it ok - they just couldn't pressure test it to its full performance guarantee after resealing, which might explain the reluctance perhaps to even attempt it.

Just a guess. In reality, who is ever really going to fact-check the 3,900m resistance(!), but maybe Rolex have strict 'by the book' guidelines about such matters, unless you can find someone to re-seal it on the proviso you understand it hasn't been pressure-tested to it's full capacity(let's face it, 100m is way more than enough for 99.9% of people, although I appreciate that when buying a DSSD it's because you want the very best, and the 3,900m is part of that performance excellence).

In terms of the oils, I agree they shouldn't really be drying up so soon - certainly rough handling or temperature extremes can slightly shorten the life-span of oils (compared to, say, a desk worker in a temperate climate) and require earlier service, but that doesn't sound the case here - it seems strange to me.

If not the oils drying, the DSSD uses the 3135 caliber, which still uses a post & bush for the winding rotor - whilst very, very efficient for low-friction auto-winding, one slight susceptibility of that system is that the rotor post is quite thin, and a really hard knock has been rarely known to affect/bend/break it, so that sometime the rotor edge can make contact with the movement plates - that might explain the 'grinding/rubbing' noise you hear/feel. Auto-winding systems with ball-bearings suffer less, as they have more stability.

Also, out local expert moderator padi56 posted this not so long ago, which explains why oiling is a potential Achilles heel with this system:

Well the Daytona with the cal 4130 was the first in the Rolex in-house movements to use a ball bearing rotor. It offers less wear in the winding rotor shaft but a bit more noise and not quite so efficient in winding.And IMHO the main Achilles heel in most of the Rolex 3 series movements like the cal 3135 is the rotor shaft bearings. And IMO its the 3 series movements weakest link the rotor winding sleeve bearings. Now these need proper lubrication and its very critical its done right,if it dries out especially in warm climates you will get severe wear in the bearing jewels.Looks like to me Rolex has sacrificed a bit in the engineering department for better winding efficiency and less noise. IMHO the small diameter winding post don't offer enough support to the rotor weight, but again some go on for decades without service, but many fail for the lack of.But if your rotor ever does need replacing then you can be 100% sure the movement needs a full service as well.And many movements that use a ball bearing rotor movements like say the Valjoux 7750 range, you can feel the rotor wobble and hear the rotor noise on the wrist but thats just one of the quirks of this very fine movement.

I don't know if any of the above applies, but hopefully it might help a little in suggesting some potential areas of investigation/query - good luck with this.
TG3N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 07:41 AM   #21
melrob1
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear. I would push them hard.
One thing my grandfather always told me about buying a car, "The more fancy and expensive the more it's going to cost you in the long run." Same is true for a mechanical watch and many other things in life.
melrob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 07:41 AM   #22
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
I agree that it should go to RSC.

Whatever is wrong won't heal on its own and anyone else who opens it won't be able to do a waterproof test.

It might be a tough bullet to bite, but it's a small price to pay to protect your investment.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 07:45 AM   #23
touchdowntodd
"TRF" Member

It's been sent

I'm just upset, and questioning owning this model if no one can open it locally

I hate that, given its the "perfect" one for me
Old 27 June 2017, 07:46 AM   #24
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
So many folks chimed in on another thread that synthetic oils do not dry up and Rolex watches can go much longer now between services. I think synthetic do in fact dry up as does every other liquid on the planet over time. This thread sort of confirms that. To your problem 3 and half years is crazy. Best of luck to you. Be nice and Rolex may pick up the service. They ought to since the identical watch now carries a five year warranty.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 07:48 AM   #25
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by melrob1 View Post
Sorry to hear. I would push them hard.
One thing my grandfather always told me about buying a car, "The more fancy and expensive the more it's going to cost you in the long run." Same is true for a mechanical watch and many other things in life.
So true, cheap watches run forever without a thought of a service and never seem to scratch. Buy a Patek, AP or Rolex and the costs to own skyrocket.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 07:49 AM   #26
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
ABC is probably cheaper and just as good.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 07:50 AM   #27
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
As been said it shouldn't just be the oils drying up, but if this is the sole issue then in light of the time period of ownership I would ask and expect RSC to not charge you for a full service.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 07:53 AM   #28
toolr
2024 Pledge Member

It may be possible for your AD to have some influence with RSC on this matter. My wife's Datejust began running 20-30 seconds slow when almost a year out of the initial warranty. I expressed my dismay to my AD and figured I'd be charged for a service. My AD spoke to the RSC and the service (movement only) was performed as a courtesy free of charge. That was 5 years ago and it's still running flawless.
toolr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 07:53 AM   #29
Steve36Efc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126603
Sorry to hear about this Todd, stick with it and hopefully RSC will show some discretion and at the very least offer a reduced rate fix. Whatever happens I hope it does not spoil your future enjoyment. Good luck
Steve36Efc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 07:56 AM   #30
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Everyone can open it up, do a normal pressure check and it will be OK.
Who on earth needs a 3900m rating ?
Any good independent watchmaker could have a look at it. You now chose the expensive way.
(Btw, I own a DSSD and opened it up for changing the second hand and pressure tested it myself, never leaked since)