The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 March 2014, 11:04 AM   #1
AlBacon!974
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1803 Day-Date
Any thoughts on the Rolex Air-King series

I currently have a SubDate and a SS DJ and was just looking to pick up a simple, everyday watch. I was looking at the Air-King model but I am not too familiar with it and had some questions. Is this model consider a low end entry level watch and I don't see many of them in the wild so what is their popularity like? Also, would getting one seem like a step backwards? Also, what could I expect to pay new or pre-owned for a newer model one. Sorry for all the questions, just would like to know what TRF community had to say about this topic. Thanks.
AlBacon!974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2014, 11:08 AM   #2
AbsolutelyROLEX!
"TRF" Member

Watch: AKA: ANDERL712000
air king is their simplest lowest model, but not any less good, an will not be a step backwards at all.
a pre owned is anywhere from 2K-4 k depending on year and condition
New I have no idea, someone else can tell you that.
Air kings are very popular, there are lots around, check here on the sales forum, buy from a trusted seller here, we have the best prices on the net.

Hans Wilsdorf, Rolex founder
AbsolutelyROLEX! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2014, 11:11 AM   #3
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
I would gladly add one to any collection. It's a fine watch with just enough to stand on its own.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2014, 11:11 AM   #4
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
If you are comfortable with the size, go for it. I find the, to be too small, which is unfortunate because the price s appealing.
Sublovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2014, 11:13 AM   #5
Chute
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6 digit Rolex+APRO
At 34 mm it is pretty small. Check the for sale forums for a price check. It's one model I wish Rolex will update to a bigger case, hopefully Basel 2014 will make my wish come true. If it were me I'd go 39mm explorer to complement your collection. But if you like the smaller size, the Air King won't cost as much
Chute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2014, 11:23 AM   #6
14060m
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610 , 16233
Love the watch
Just a little to small for my liking
Old 3 March 2014, 11:26 AM   #7
threemonkeys
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTIIc, AK, LVc
It's a nice stealthy Rolex option.

threemonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2014, 11:28 AM   #8
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Terrific watch with a longer heritage in the Rolex line up than everything except the DJ and the OP. Good collector watch too, as there are so many different dials and vintage are very affordable.
Old 3 March 2014, 11:42 AM   #9
AlBacon!974
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the great replies. My DJ is 36mm and the Air-King is 34mm so how much of a difference do you think the 2mm will make on a 7 inch wrist?
Old 3 March 2014, 11:53 AM   #10
Old Expat Beast

Almost no difference. 2mm is 1/8 inch. I have 7.25in wrists and it works for me.
Old 3 March 2014, 12:26 PM   #11
AlBacon!974
"TRF" Member

Also, I saw one for sale from a trusted seller on the for sale thread. My question is that they are located in Hong Kong and I'm in the US. What potential problems could I run into buying something from overseas and shipping it to the USA? What about customs fees or tariffs? Also I thought I read something about copy right infringement? Any answers will be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 3 March 2014, 01:01 PM   #12
Old Expat Beast

Unlikely but can be a problem importing a Rolex into the USA from anywhere. There's a million of them in the US. I live in HK and just bought one from the US. Normally I buy in HK though.
Old 3 March 2014, 02:16 PM   #13
hehedavid
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of each
Sorry, but that thing is simply a poor man's fake Rolex
hehedavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2014, 02:21 PM   #14
illiguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hehedavid View Post
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2014, 02:29 PM   #15
dseig001
"TRF" Member

Watch: Plat Dd
Quote:
I'm lost. How is this a fake rolex?

I may be a Psychiatrist, but it dosent take one to point out the underlying themes of fantasy and inadequacy in this statement....
dseig001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2014, 02:33 PM   #16
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
I have 7.25in wrists and it works for me.
Same here! The Air King is the most comfortable watch on a bracelet that I've ever tried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlBacon!974 View Post
Also, I saw one for sale from a trusted seller on the for sale thread. My question is that they are located in Hong Kong and I'm in the US. What potential problems could I run into buying something from overseas and shipping it to the USA? What about customs fees or tariffs? Also I thought I read something about copy right infringement?
Unfortunately it's true; because of Rolex USA's copyright laws it's technically only legal to import a Rolex into the USA if it's one on your wrist. It probably would slip by...but it could very well get confiscated. I don't hesitate to buy any other brand from a trusted foreign seller though. Customs varies depending on the country of origin but usually about 4-8% from my experience IIRC.
powerfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2014, 03:02 PM   #17
hehedavid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by illiguy View Post
Perhaps, you're an air king guy too :bang head:
Old 3 March 2014, 03:05 PM   #18
AlBacon!974
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfunk View Post
Same here! The Air King is the most comfortable watch on a bracelet that I've ever tried.

Unfortunately it's true; because of Rolex USA's copyright laws it's technically only legal to import a Rolex into the USA if it's one on your wrist. It probably would slip by...but it could very well get confiscated. I don't hesitate to buy any other brand from a trusted foreign seller though. Customs varies depending on the country of origin but usually about 4-8% from my experience IIRC.
I think that's what has me hesitant to pull the trigger on the one for sale from HK.
Old 3 March 2014, 03:05 PM   #19
hehedavid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dseig001 View Post
I'm lost. How is this a fake rolex?

I may be a Psychiatrist, but it dosent take one to point out the underlying themes of fantasy and inadequacy in this statement....
Well... Not fake, but a flashy Michael Kors might be better than an Air King
Old 3 March 2014, 03:08 PM   #20
AlBacon!974
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I know some might consider this a lower end Rolex but I wouldn't say it's a poor man's Rolex and by far not fake at all. I'm not really sure how to take that response.
Old 3 March 2014, 03:11 PM   #21
dseig001
"TRF" Member

Watch: Plat Dd
Quote:
Well... Not fake, but a flashy Michael Kors might be better than an Air King
I'm curious, and I'm not trying to troll. It has an in house movement, the classic fit and finish of a rolex, and a clean, understated case.

Why the hate? No, it's not a YG DJ II, but not everybody wants that.

Heck, my favorite price is a smaller 34mm manual Omega for its simplicity, manual movement, and beauty. It's not like I can't have something else, it's just a cool piece.

It's like you're discounting it for its price. Bet you don't like the new Tudors either.
dseig001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2014, 03:23 PM   #22
hehedavid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm curious, and I'm not trying to troll. It has an in house movement, the classic fit and finish of a rolex, and a clean, understated case.
Classic would be any other models from Rolex besides the Air King.

Quote:
Why the hate? No, it's not a YG DJ II, but not everybody wants that.
DJ II does not exist in YG or in any other precious medal. SS or TT only. Maybe you are confused with a DD II.

You are correct. Some may not prefer a DJ or DD, but that's the reason for Rolex offers everything from a Sub, GMT to Daytona and etc. BUT... Air King is just wrong.

Quote:
Heck, my favorite price is a smaller 34mm manual Omega for its simplicity, manual movement, and beauty. It's not like I can't have something else, it's just a cool piece.
Perhaps, you're an Omega kind of person like others who love their Omegas.

Quote:
It's like you're discounting it for its price. Bet you don't like the new Tudors either.
You are correct. I don't like Tudor, but it isn't like I don't like Air King only because of the price. It is cheapening the brand and it just doesn't belong in the family
Old 3 March 2014, 03:25 PM   #23
hehedavid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlBacon!974 View Post
I know some might consider this a lower end Rolex but I wouldn't say it's a poor man's Rolex and by far not fake at all. I'm not really sure how to take that response.
"Some" might consider the Air King a lower end? NO. It's the bottom of the barrel and Rolex should just get rid of it. It is just cheapening the brand.
Old 3 March 2014, 04:57 PM   #24
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
"Some" might consider the Air King a lower end? NO. It's the bottom of the barrel and Rolex should just get rid of it. It is just cheapening the brand.
Care to explain this ignorant statement?
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2014, 06:56 PM   #25
Zilla99
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
David, Actually it is an exceptional watch and addition to the Rolex lineup. I own 3 Rolex timepieces: DJ, OP & AK. I have small wrists, so anything more than a 36mm looks like a hockey puck on my wrist. Now, I have owned a green sub, but moved it due to the large size on my wrist and looking/feeling really odd. So respectfully I can afford various watches within the lineup, but I go with what I like, not what others think is best for me. I also don't throw what others might like and enjoy under the bus and assume they are buying a "bottom of the barrel" anything as you so eloquently stated. When I see someone in a Benz C Class, I genuinely compliment them and appreciate the craftsmanship. I don't jump up and down that it is not an S Class and scream it is a POS. Like others are saying in this thread, you have no real base point for your comments, just petty little man/big truck syndrome.

I choose to own an AK and actually receive many compliments. Honestly, looking at all the negative posts from you David, it is clear that this is more of a character problem on your part and most likely you have been told this before in others areas of your life I am sure. Instead of complimenting the AK as a STRONG part of the Rolex family and simply saying it is not for you, it seems a must to rip it apart sour grape style like it beat you up on the playground and stole your milk money.... People like you are what is wrong with an outsiders perception of the Rolex brand. If it is not the biggest, flashiest, trendiest and most expensive of anything, then you must trash it for no real reason to feel superior over others.
Zilla99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2014, 07:10 PM   #26
jjnd08
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilla99 View Post
David, Actually it is an exceptional watch and addition to the Rolex lineup. I own 3 Rolex timepieces: DJ, OP & AK. I have small wrists, so anything more than a 36mm looks like a hockey puck on my wrist. Now, I have owned a green sub, but moved it due to the large size on my wrist and looking/feeling really odd. So respectfully I can afford various watches within the lineup, but I go with what I like, not what others think is best for me. I also don't throw what others might like and enjoy under the bus and assume they are buying a "bottom of the barrel" anything as you so eloquently stated. When I see someone in a Benz C Class, I genuinely compliment them and appreciate the craftsmanship. I don't jump up and down that it is not an S Class and scream it is a POS. Like others are saying in this thread, you have no real base point for your comments, just petty little man/big truck syndrome.

I choose to own an AK and actually receive many compliments. Honestly, looking at all the negative posts from you David, it is clear that this is more of a character problem on your part and most likely you have been told this before in others areas of your life I am sure. Instead of complimenting the AK as a STRONG part of the Rolex family and simply saying it is not for you, it seems a must to rip it apart sour grape style like it beat you up on the playground and stole your milk money.... People like you are what is wrong with an outsiders perception of the Rolex brand. If it is not the biggest, flashiest, trendiest and most expensive of anything, then you must trash it for no real reason to feel superior over others.
jjnd08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2014, 07:45 PM   #27
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
... and that's an Air Head's comment.
Welshwatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2014, 07:46 PM   #28
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

I love the AirKing! Elegant, clean simplicity.

Mr. Hehedavid, if the AirKing is not to your liking, maybe you'd like the limited edition Seaking GMT11. Nothing plain or cheap about that bad boy.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2014, 07:53 PM   #29
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshwatchman View Post
... and that's an Air Head's comment.
You've got that right!
Old 3 March 2014, 08:18 PM   #30
rmurphy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16600
Any thoughts on the Rolex Air-King series

I'm going to interject a thought as well this morning. I'm no where near a Rolex officianado but what I am I think is someone who can see the good in things. Why would anyone come into a thread just to spew nastiness out? To denigrate what someone likes, I can see making your own point once but to quote everyone's positive point to tear them down seems just like one other person said .... "Beat you up and stole your milk money" type of attitude. I feel sorry for people who go around spreading that kind of ill will, and sure I have said my opinion in a post before that inflamed someone and you know what? I apologized not because i disagreed with my point but because I didn't intend for it to hurt anyone. A lot of the negative points I read were what I took to be a purposeful shitting on of someone else's opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote