The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 March 2017, 03:16 AM   #1
ryan.uk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660
Icon8 Rolex Customer Service

Hello folks... first post, and only a recent reader so apologies for any poor etiquette on my part!

Just want some guidance.. I just bought a new DSSD from the Rolex AD in 'the wonder room' in Selfridges London.

However, when I got home (some 100 miles away), I realised they hadn't given me the operation manual for my watch

No problem I thought.. for a £9k watch, I'm sure Rolex have excellent after care service.. I'll send them an email, complete a webform or ring them; I'm sure they'll send me the manual - however it seems there's no way of contacting them at all!

They have no facebook messenger, no email, no after-sales telephone, no webform, no nothing!

To be honest I think their customer service is **** appalling for the cost of their products. Even in Selfridges I got the 'are you kidding me; you don't look like you can afford to be here' look, no offer of a drink or anything... the mats they placed the watches on were all dirty.. I was treated like a king when I bought my first Omega at David M. Robinsons from the minute I walked in the door.

It was only after I took out my premier debit card and the payment went through that I actually got any where with Rolex! So not the best first experience of the brand. If I hadn't have been wanting the DS for the past who-knows-how-long, I think I would've told them to turn it sideways and shove it.

Anyway; rant over! Basically; does anyone know how you can contact them? I don't want to, nor can really journey all the way to Selfridges - can I just go to any AD?
ryan.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2017, 03:29 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Rolex doesn't do anything on the Internet but they always respond to a proper letter.

However, the booklets are provided to you by the Dealer. Why not contact them and let them know that they failed to provide your booklet.
Old 17 March 2017, 03:30 AM   #3
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Go back to the AD with the complete set and ask for the manual. it is a pretty simple solution. rolex itself didnt misplace your manual the AD did, it is their mistake.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2017, 03:39 AM   #4
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
The AD sold you the product, call them and have them mail a manual to you.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2017, 03:44 AM   #5
blue16613
Banned

Hello & welcome.

I realize this is your first post and hope that you are not one of the "malcontents" who love to bash Rolex under the cloak of anonymity. If you are, you can just stop reading now because the rest of this post is not worth your while.

Assuming you are legitimate and have just been poisoned by reading their absurd posts I recommend you take a deep breath and resolve to make up your own mind as a result of your own experience. This mistake happened at the AD and surely it was an unintended / innocent oversight. If you alert them in a cordial, non-abrasive manner I am sure you will find that behavior to be reciprocated.
blue16613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2017, 03:45 AM   #6
MonBK
Banned

How hard can it be to find their phone #?

It took me all of 5 seconds: 0800 123 400
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2017, 03:48 AM   #7
Danny83
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
Why do you need a manual so bad? You cant use it?
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2017, 04:06 AM   #8
Dirty Tool
"TRF" Member

I would like to apologise on behalf of the other TRF Brits, we all aren't this incompetent.
Dirty Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2017, 04:14 AM   #9
Number3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060LB
The Rolex boutique at Selfridges can be contacted on 0207-318-3213.
Number3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2017, 04:16 AM   #10
beer
"TRF" Member

Watch: all
this is not surprising people impulsively spend 6 figures in the wonder room on a daily basis so its not the place to go to buy a SS watch and expect to be treated like royalty

there are a couple of good staff members there but you have to get lucky
Old 17 March 2017, 04:22 AM   #11
SeaDweller50
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M 2 liner
Another reason (of many) why I never buy from an AD.
SeaDweller50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2017, 04:25 AM   #12
phez
"TRF" Member

Watch: PT DD40 Ice Blue
Rolex at St James's Square phone number Tel: +44 20 7024 7300 or

Kent 01732 752400

But as others have said, go back to Selfridges.

I assume you have checked behind the partition in the lid of the box?
Grand Seiko GMT blue dial and blue GMT hand
phez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2017, 04:34 AM   #13
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Selfridges and Harrods will deal with mostly wealthy foreign tourists and millionaires (many non U.K in origin). Whenever I am in Harrods or Selfridges this is always my observation.
They have a massively captive and extremely wealthy market.

Sadly their service doesn't need to be that hot.

£9k is a massive amount of money. However Rolex models go from £4K to close to 7 figure sums. A £9k Rolex is low end in their eyes and most of their clientele will spend much more, often not speaking even much English, or requiring much chat, never mind 'wining and dining'. I'd actually guess most of the staff are non-English.

A local AD outside the city will have to work much harder and will live and die on their reputation.

Only my opinion, don't shoot me for it
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2017, 05:05 AM   #14
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan.uk View Post
Hello folks... first post, and only a recent reader so apologies for any poor etiquette on my part!

Just want some guidance.. I just bought a new DSSD from the Rolex AD in 'the wonder room' in Selfridges London.

However, when I got home (some 100 miles away), I realised they hadn't given me the operation manual for my watch

No problem I thought.. for a £9k watch, I'm sure Rolex have excellent after care service.. I'll send them an email, complete a webform or ring them; I'm sure they'll send me the manual - however it seems there's no way of contacting them at all!

They have no facebook messenger, no email, no after-sales telephone, no webform, no nothing!

To be honest I think their customer service is **** appalling for the cost of their products. Even in Selfridges I got the 'are you kidding me; you don't look like you can afford to be here' look, no offer of a drink or anything... the mats they placed the watches on were all dirty.. I was treated like a king when I bought my first Omega at David M. Robinsons from the minute I walked in the door.

It was only after I took out my premier debit card and the payment went through that I actually got any where with Rolex! So not the best first experience of the brand. If I hadn't have been wanting the DS for the past who-knows-how-long, I think I would've told them to turn it sideways and shove it.

Anyway; rant over! Basically; does anyone know how you can contact them? I don't want to, nor can really journey all the way to Selfridges - can I just go to any AD?

Nonsense.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2017, 05:20 AM   #15
ryan.uk
"TRF" Member

Icon14

Thanks to those posting a valuable non-facetious reply.

My argument is the Rolex 'store' in Selfridges is exactly that, it's fully Rolex branded, segmented and decorated as Rolex. So I felt, or was otherwise led to believe that I bought my Rolex in a Rolex store, and I want Rolex to solve my Rolex related problem without me having to deal with the staff in the boutique (who already gave me a bad experience and didn't do everything they should have done).

When my Sonos speaker didn't do something I wanted it to do, I messaged Sonos through facebook and they responded straight-away and helped me - I didn't have to go to John Lewis.

Quote:
MonBK How hard can it be to find their phone #?

It took me all of 5 seconds: 0800 123 400
Thank you - but that's Selfridges, I wanted to deal with Rolex themselves... but I guess I'm resigned to dealing with Selfridges.

Quote:
Go back to the AD with the complete set and ask for the manual. it is a pretty simple solution. rolex itself didnt misplace your manual the AD did, it is their mistake
I bought a Rolex, and expect/want to have a relationship with Rolex not the 'front-end', particularly in the aftermath of a bad experience with the latter. When my watch goes away for a service, it will go back to Rolex themselves at St James... why can my product have a product service, but I as a customer can't have customer service? I also can't readily go back to the Selfridges store as it's 100 miles away and would cost me a not insignificant amount in train fares
Quote:
Probably the most facetious response of all. I want the manual a) because it's part of the product I bought, and b) because I'm sure not having everything the timepiece is supposed to come with will affect its re-sale value in years to come.
Nairn1980 - I think you hit the nail on the head... just feels like a bit of a shame to me. I've wanted my DSSD for many years, and the buying of it really was a let-down. And then to not have been given everything I was supposed to get with it just sealed the experience as a bad one for me.

I think I'll give Selfridges a ring (thanks Number3 for their number), give them the chance to put it right, and see where it goes. I still think Rolex could do with knowing that I wasn't impressed with how they are represented by their Selfridges boutique, and guess snail mail is the only way to let them know that.
Old 17 March 2017, 05:21 AM   #16
callejae
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
the people at the watch room in selfridges are a right bunch of snobs. i reckon the only way to get noticed there is to arrive by helicopter and land it on the roof. otherwise theyll just stand there ignoring you
callejae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2017, 05:28 AM   #17
mr_mike
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust II white
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
Selfridges and Harrods will deal with mostly wealthy foreign tourists and millionaires (many non U.K in origin). Whenever I am in Harrods or Selfridges this is always my observation.
They have a massively captive and extremely wealthy market.

Sadly their service doesn't need to be that hot.

£9k is a massive amount of money. However Rolex models go from £4K to close to 7 figure sums. A £9k Rolex is low end in their eyes and most of their clientele will spend much more, often not speaking even much English, or requiring much chat, never mind 'wining and dining'. I'd actually guess most of the staff are non-English.

A local AD outside the city will have to work much harder and will live and die on their reputation.

Only my opinion, don't shoot me for it
Don't need to be outside of London. Mappin & Webb on Fenchurch St (in the heart of the City) were friendly, civil and competent when I bought my watch.
mr_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2017, 05:40 AM   #18
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by callejae View Post
the people at the watch room in selfridges are a right bunch of snobs. i reckon the only way to get noticed there is to arrive by helicopter and land it on the roof. otherwise theyll just stand there ignoring you
Very sorry, but can't agree. Maria, I think her name is, is wonderful. A watch-nut herself, she is incredibly attentive. I was browsing, made it clear I wasn't going to be purchasing any time soon and we spent 20 minutes discussing my Big-Block Tudor, which she made me remove so she could see clearer. By the way, I was in jeans, trainers and unshaven!

OP, mistakes happen and surely a call to Selfridges in a polite manner will provide the booklet you need and I'm sure a sincere apology.
Old 17 March 2017, 05:55 AM   #19
Melchizedek
"TRF" Member

I'm baffled by the fact that you went thru with the purchase if they treated you badly from the word go. It doesn't matter how bad I want something, if I don't get proper customer service I walk out...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Melchizedek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2017, 06:03 AM   #20
ryan.uk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny83 View Post
That's pretty facetious.. I want the manual because it's part of the product I bought, and it will invariably affect re-sale value in later years if I don't have everything the timepiece is supposed to come with.

Look guys, I'm not stupid or incompetent - I suggest very few people who are on this forum, have an expensive timepiece or are otherwise interested in such would be so. I'm very aware that I could contact Selfridges and I'm sure with a bit of hassle they'd probably help me out.

I think my wider expectation here was that I've bought a Rolex watch, and I expect to have a relationship with Rolex now and expect them to be able to help me out.

Look; when my watch needs a service, it will go to Rolex themselves at St James - why can my watch have a product service, but I as a customer can't have customer service?

When my Sonos speaker didn't do something I thought it could, I messaged Sonos direct over facebook and they replied immediately helping me out. I didn't have to wrangle with John Lewis.

When I wanted the original COSC certificate for my first ever Omega watch, I was able to deal directly with Omega through their customer service portal and you know what? They got me the certificate.

When my MacBook had a problem with the screen - the Apple store helped me out free of charge, even when I bought it from Currys originally.

Rolex is known to be the most recognised brand in the world - but they don't have any customer service whatsoever? What we're effectively saying here is... buy a Rolex, and anything you want or need after, you have to go back to where you bought it? Lucky I didn't buy it in Timbuktu then huh!

I'm resigned to having to contact Selfridges to give them the opportunity to resolve the issue - thanks @Number3 for their number.
Old 17 March 2017, 06:10 AM   #21
rudestew
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD SD43 Mk1 50TH
Iv shopped there with no problems , but then thats where it counts IF THERES A PROBLEM , hope you get it sorted
rudestew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2017, 06:30 AM   #22
moonson
"TRF" Member

Always found selfridges to be a bad experience.

Vote with your wallet. They cannot do enough for you at one Hyde park or Harrods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
moonson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2017, 06:38 AM   #23
Yo Cecil
"TRF" Member

Bottom line it's a Rolex AD. It should be a enjoyable & memorable experience purchasing any timepiece from them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yo Cecil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2017, 06:50 AM   #24
BrazenC5
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1665,1675,1680,SD4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan.uk View Post
Thanks to those posting a valuable non-facetious reply.

My argument is the Rolex 'store' in Selfridges is exactly that, it's fully Rolex branded, segmented and decorated as Rolex. So I felt, or was otherwise led to believe that I bought my Rolex in a Rolex store, and I want Rolex to solve my Rolex related problem without me having to deal with the staff in the boutique (who already gave me a bad experience and didn't do everything they should have done).

When my Sonos speaker didn't do something I wanted it to do, I messaged Sonos through facebook and they responded straight-away and helped me - I didn't have to go to John Lewis.

Thank you - but that's Selfridges, I wanted to deal with Rolex themselves... but I guess I'm resigned to dealing with Selfridges.
The pamphlets, boxes, etc do not come prepackaged with the watch from Rolex SA...the AD "consolidates" the materials together for resale.

Yes, unfortunately this is the case where you need to go back to the authorized dealer. Rolex SA will not get involved or source a booklet for you. The only time I've seen them get involved is when an AD has damaged a customer's Rolex and the AD has not rectified the problem.

The relationship is more akin to a car dealership (rather than Sonos)...if the dealer forgot to put in the "free" floor mats...I wouldnt call the car manufacturer to make it right for me. I would have to go back to the car dealership.

I'm sure a call to the AD, they can mail you the missing manual.

Its also unfortunate you didnt get the service from that particular AD...people would say, walk and spend your money elsewhere, but that's also dependent on choices logistically available to you (as you mentioned you had to travel 100 miles just to go to this one), and I imagine a DSSD in the UK is not easily available.

cheers,
BrazenC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2017, 07:00 AM   #25
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Congratulations on your DS its a great watch.

Don't let the booklet or the AD ruin your experience. Enjoy it
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2017, 07:08 AM   #26
Xerxes77
Banned

Get back
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2017, 07:14 AM   #27
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
I totally get it, and totally understand where you're coming from.

You want to feel special and appreciated when making such a significant purchase, and I would too.

I'd expect to be treated politely, and for it to be a memorable experience when making such a large purchase.

I know people will disagreee and make the Diet Coke comments etc however I really do expect a decent service and I think Ryan is right to expect it. However for the reasons above, this maybe isn't the place for a more memorable experience.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2017, 07:51 AM   #28
ryan.uk
"TRF" Member

Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
I totally get it, and totally understand where you're coming from.

You want to feel special and appreciated when making such a significant purchase, and I would too.

I'd expect to be treated politely, and for it to be a memorable experience when making such a large purchase.

I know people will disagreee and make the Diet Coke comments etc however I really do expect a decent service and I think Ryan is right to expect it. However for the reasons above, this maybe isn't the place for a more memorable experience.
Cheers Nairn.. that's twice you've hit the nail on the head. It's almost a matter of principle more than anything.

I think I would have had a significantly better experience buying from an out-of-city AD, rather than being a nameless generic in a marble-clad room filled with Sheikhs, Princes and WAGs..

I'm going to call Selfridges, but Rolex are going to get a stern letter from me too
Old 17 March 2017, 07:59 AM   #29
Toivonen
"TRF" Member

Watch: SeaDweller Deepsea
Rolex Customer Service, here in Italy, is nothing but fantastic.
https://www.facebook.com/bandadellavalvola/
http://orologi.forumfree.it/?t=75294392
Toivonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2017, 08:01 AM   #30
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes Please!
I would just call the AD you bought it from

Follow me on Instagram: @b_jakobovich
Lordofrolex is offline   Reply With Quote