The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 March 2017, 08:01 AM   #31
strongarms
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Speedy
A PREMIER debit card, eh? How do I get one of those?
strongarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2017, 08:02 AM   #32
beer
"TRF" Member

Watch: all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Tool View Post
I would like to apologise on behalf of the other TRF Brits, we all aren't this incompetent.
i would also like to apologise and state we aren't all this rude

in fact i recently witnessed an armed police officer using the exact phrase "keep your hands where i can see them, please mate"

name one other country where this level of politeness would be dealt out to an armed criminal
Old 17 March 2017, 08:04 AM   #33
ryan.uk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660
Quote:
Originally Posted by strongarms View Post
A PREMIER debit card, eh? How do I get one of those?
Either by having very attractive earnings (not me), or paying a high package bank account fee
ryan.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2017, 08:38 AM   #34
Dirty Tool
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer View Post
i would also like to apologise and state we aren't all this rude

in fact i recently witnessed an armed police officer using the exact phrase "keep your hands where i can see them, please mate"

name one other country where this level of politeness would be dealt out to an armed criminal
Only keeping up with the OP, where his explicit words were blanked out and would like to tell the AD to "Shove it"
Dirty Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2017, 08:48 AM   #35
sco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subc AT 8500 CSO
Call the AD, get the manual and don't buy from them again.
sco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2017, 08:54 AM   #36
mick121212
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster
Wandering off topic slightly here but just curious if they gave you a big discount?

If they didn't, you should have stuck 2 fingers up and walked, if they did, you should be grateful you got one; Goldsmiths gave me nothing, so I walked and got £600 off my bluesy the following day at another AD (not forgetting a Rolex baseball cap, priceless, IMO).

I can't imagine Selfridges giving you much?
mick121212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2017, 09:03 AM   #37
Dazlewis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Tool View Post
I would like to apologise on behalf of the other TRF Brits, we all aren't this incompetent.
And London to Winchester is no where near 100 miles.
Dazlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2017, 09:14 AM   #38
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I've never had bad treatment in Selfridges, in either of the Rolex Boutiques or the main room itself, people are polite and friendly to me altho not always knowledgeable. I suppose in cent London you might get some snobbery so best to look the part of a serious buyer and if you can have an irritated, dismissive attitude it doesn't hurt with these people.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2017, 09:53 AM   #39
ulrichhh
"TRF" Member

I would just call, it shouldnt be a problem
ulrichhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2017, 02:38 PM   #40
Tonneau1
"TRF" Member

Call Jeremy Piven, he lives in the LA area. He's got 'connections' at Selfridges. Oh, and also tell him that you're a budding movie star that would like representation, as he's also Ari Gold.
Tonneau1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2017, 04:54 PM   #41
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick121212 View Post
Wandering off topic slightly here but just curious if they gave you a big discount?

If they didn't, you should have stuck 2 fingers up and walked, if they did, you should be grateful you got one; Goldsmiths gave me nothing, so I walked and got £600 off my bluesy the following day at another AD (not forgetting a Rolex baseball cap, priceless, IMO).

I can't imagine Selfridges giving you much?
I can bet that discount level was £0
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2017, 05:47 PM   #42
moonson
"TRF" Member

Thinking about it. A department store like Selfridges should have some form of aftercare team anyway. Just give them a call and I'm sure they'll have no problem posting to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
moonson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2017, 05:58 PM   #43
BlueIn2Red
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan.uk View Post
I'm going to call Selfridges, but Rolex are going to get a stern letter from me too
Rolex are getting a "stern letter" because Selfridges forgot to give you a manual?
BlueIn2Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2017, 06:03 PM   #44
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyGarton View Post
Rolex are getting a "stern letter" because Selfridges forgot to give you a manual?
Don't forget that the "place mats" were dirty.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2017, 08:22 PM   #45
ryan.uk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number3 View Post
The Rolex boutique at Selfridges can be contacted on 0207-318-3213.
Thanks for this; that put me straight through to Maria who was really nice about it and has said she'll send the manual through the post for me. (so you're right there @rootbeer, she's obviously the one you want to deal with in the Rolex boutique in Selfridges if you can)

Quite a lot of snide and mean-spirited responses from some people here which is quite disappointing. On the most part it seems there's some really nice folk here who I thought I would be able to revel in my interest with, but seemingly interspersed with a number of people who are more interesting in light trolling.

At the end of the day, I was just asking if anyone knew how to get hold of Rolex directly; yes I had a bit of a whinge and was a bit stuck up about it, but the purchase experience just gnawed at me and still does a bit.

I have been able to deal direct with Omega in the past, and they are always amazingly helpful (as I said, they got me the original COSC certificate for my first watch with them, and even covered the cost of it... some €50 I think it was). And when I had a technical question about the chronograph mechanism, they had an actual technician ring me from their lab to give me advice. Bash them as you will, but that's good customer service.

When buying a luxury item, forgive me for just wanting that little extra in terms of service.

And yes, vote with your feet/wallet; sure, that's an irrefutable truth - but when you've wanted something for a decade, and it's sat in front of you (on a dirty mat admittedly) - sometimes the heart overrules the head, and the wallet.

Quite right @Dazlewis... London to Winchester is not 100 miles, however I don't recall saying that's where I am right now. You've just put 2 and 2 together and made 9 just to have something to pick at.

Thank you very much to those who provided useful information, in the end the AD look like they'll resolve the (admittedly very trivial) problem, and thank you to those who expressed a little solidarity.
Old 17 March 2017, 08:28 PM   #46
Eva123
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
Selfridges and Harrods will deal with mostly wealthy foreign tourists and millionaires (many non U.K in origin). Whenever I am in Harrods or Selfridges this is always my observation.
They have a massively captive and extremely wealthy market.

Sadly their service doesn't need to be that hot.

£9k is a massive amount of money. However Rolex models go from £4K to close to 7 figure sums. A £9k Rolex is low end in their eyes and most of their clientele will spend much more, often not speaking even much English, or requiring much chat, never mind 'wining and dining'. I'd actually guess most of the staff are non-English.

A local AD outside the city will have to work much harder and will live and die on their reputation.

Only my opinion, don't shoot me for it
Yes, I suppose that many of their staff are non-native English speakers :)

When I bought Rolex in Italian AD I was serviced by verru nice looking girl from Moldova who were speaking with me in Russian :)
Eva123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2017, 09:11 PM   #47
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks to those posting a valuable non-facetious reply.

My argument is the Rolex 'store' in Selfridges is exactly that, it's fully Rolex branded, segmented and decorated as Rolex. So I felt, or was otherwise led to believe that I bought my Rolex in a Rolex store, and I want Rolex to solve my Rolex related problem without me having to deal with the staff in the boutique (who already gave me a bad experience and didn't do everything they should have done).

When my Sonos speaker didn't do something I wanted it to do, I messaged Sonos through facebook and they responded straight-away and helped me - I didn't have to go to John Lewis.

Thank you - but that's Selfridges, I wanted to deal with Rolex themselves... but I guess I'm resigned to dealing with Selfridges.

I bought a Rolex, and expect/want to have a relationship with Rolex not the 'front-end', particularly in the aftermath of a bad experience with the latter. When my watch goes away for a service, it will go back to Rolex themselves at St James... why can my product have a product service, but I as a customer can't have customer service? I also can't readily go back to the Selfridges store as it's 100 miles away and would cost me a not insignificant amount in train fares

Probably the most facetious response of all. I want the manual a) because it's part of the product I bought, and b) because I'm sure not having everything the timepiece is supposed to come with will affect its re-sale value in years to come.
Nairn1980 - I think you hit the nail on the head... just feels like a bit of a shame to me. I've wanted my DSSD for many years, and the buying of it really was a let-down. And then to not have been given everything I was supposed to get with it just sealed the experience as a bad one for me.

I think I'll give Selfridges a ring (thanks Number3 for their number), give them the chance to put it right, and see where it goes. I still think Rolex could do with knowing that I wasn't impressed with how they are represented by their Selfridges boutique, and guess snail mail is the only way to let them know that.
Just an FYI... You did not buy your watch from "Rolex" nor did you buy it from Selfridges. The AD is "The Watch Gallery", they are the AD that operates the Rolex section in Selfridges. They have a few locations in London. Contact them
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2017, 09:23 PM   #48
ryan.uk
"TRF" Member

Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
Just an FYI... You did not buy your watch from "Rolex" nor did you buy it from Selfridges. The AD is "The Watch Gallery", they are the AD that operates the Rolex section in Selfridges. They have a few locations in London. Contact them
Thanks Tyler.. with the number from @Number3, I got through to Maria there who was lovely and helpful
Old 17 March 2017, 11:44 PM   #49
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thanks for this; that put me straight through to Maria who was really nice about it and has said she'll send the manual through the post for me. (so you're right there @rootbeer, she's obviously the one you want to deal with in the Rolex boutique in Selfridges if you can)

Quite a lot of snide and mean-spirited responses from some people here which is quite disappointing. On the most part it seems there's some really nice folk here who I thought I would be able to revel in my interest with, but seemingly interspersed with a number of people who are more interesting in light trolling.

At the end of the day, I was just asking if anyone knew how to get hold of Rolex directly; yes I had a bit of a whinge and was a bit stuck up about it, but the purchase experience just gnawed at me and still does a bit.

I have been able to deal direct with Omega in the past, and they are always amazingly helpful (as I said, they got me the original COSC certificate for my first watch with them, and even covered the cost of it... some €50 I think it was). And when I had a technical question about the chronograph mechanism, they had an actual technician ring me from their lab to give me advice. Bash them as you will, but that's good customer service.

When buying a luxury item, forgive me for just wanting that little extra in terms of service.

And yes, vote with your feet/wallet; sure, that's an irrefutable truth - but when you've wanted something for a decade, and it's sat in front of you (on a dirty mat admittedly) - sometimes the heart overrules the head, and the wallet.

Quite right @Dazlewis... London to Winchester is not 100 miles, however I don't recall saying that's where I am right now. You've just put 2 and 2 together and made 9 just to have something to pick at.

Thank you very much to those who provided useful information, in the end the AD look like they'll resolve the (admittedly very trivial) problem, and thank you to those who expressed a little solidarity.
As you say this is a very friendly and fun forum, just about the best in this cesspit of social media, but your opening post which was, as you described, a rant, was a bit hysterical and quite aggressive, and negativity always breeds negativity, and then you get put under the microscope as well, esp when you are new. Going forward if you calm that down the responses will be much more pleasant.
Old 17 March 2017, 11:49 PM   #50
BlueIn2Red
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Indeed. You deserve it right? This is a Rolex, after all. Who do they think they are?
BlueIn2Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2017, 11:51 PM   #51
ryan.uk
"TRF" Member

Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
As you say this is a very friendly and fun forum, just about the best in this cesspit of social media, but your opening post which was, as you described, a rant, was a bit hysterical and quite aggressive, and negativity always breeds negativity, and then you get put under the microscope as well, esp when you are new. Going forward if you calm that down the responses will be much more pleasant.
Aye, that's fair enough... humbly accepted
Old 18 March 2017, 12:20 AM   #52
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
You did not buy it from Rolex, you bought it from Selfridges' Rolex branded boutique (an authorized "dealer"). Call the place you bought and have them mail it to you. Simple and easier than trying to deal with Switzerland.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2017, 01:15 AM   #53
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Glad all sorted. Wear it and enjoy it and insist on seeing Maria next time
Old 18 March 2017, 01:38 AM   #54
helson
"TRF" Member

Contact AD while they still remember you.
helson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2017, 03:56 AM   #55
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

Goodness knows what would have happened if there had been a real issue....all you needed to do was make a brief phone call, that's it. Give the poor AD a chance, it was just a minor error.
As for Rolex, they don't deal directly with the public....that's the job of the AD. There are excellent ADs out there, probably one in Winchester. And you have an excellent watch. Maybe save your energy for things that actually matter?
peterskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2017, 04:59 AM   #56
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Aye, that's fair enough... humbly accepted
Good man.
Old 18 March 2017, 05:05 AM   #57
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Now that's sorted, where are the pics?
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2017, 06:36 AM   #58
gregmoeck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek
I will take your watch if you don't want it anymore
gregmoeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2017, 08:54 AM   #59
alangloi
"TRF" Member

Just picked up a 2016 version Explorer this morning (my first Rolex), and this afternoon discovered that the AD had included the pamphlet for the Explorer II. Close. I called and will be driving back to exchange the pamphlet tomorrow. And yes, I am thrilled with the Explorer.

Thank you TRF and posters for making me an educated consumer.
alangloi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2017, 12:26 PM   #60
Andy355
"TRF" Member

Aside from the issues with the manual, the OP's point about the buying experience in the big stores is I think valid. You get a proper Rolex experience at the dedicated boutiques e.g. One Hyde park or Bond Street (has that reopened yet?)
One Hyde park and selfridges are both run by the watch gallery but are quite a different environment
Andy355 is offline   Reply With Quote