The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 March 2017, 09:43 AM   #1
mhester
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Daytona C Waiting Time UK

I know everyone is buzzing about the latest Rolex models added to the collection this week but I'm still more excited about the SS Daytona C.

I had all my cash tied up last year but eventually made an enquiry with my local AD in September but they wouldn't even let me join the waiting list. I thought there may be some customer loyalty after spending £12k on a sub Lv and a sea dweller from them in the last 5 years. I was pretty annoyed and am very unlikely to buy a watch from them again.

How easy is it to get on a waiting list, which AD's are best to approach and how long should I expect to wait? I'm hoping the new sub-dweller hype might free up some Daytona's for a shorter waiting time.

I already have a 2010 white face SS Daytona but the AD I bought that from lost their AD status! I'm not having much luck with my choice of AD.
mhester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2017, 09:58 AM   #2
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
12K in 5 years is peanuts I'm afraid, don't fall out with your AD as you are way off the mark here. Looks like now most people are expecting to wait 1-2 years.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2017, 10:03 AM   #3
Shaky
"TRF" Member

OP you will probably find they have enough names on a list to last them 10-15 yrs at the rate they are getting them at so don't take it too personally.

Just ring round and see if you can get on a list or hang fire for a bit. Agreed it's a pain in the rear but not sure what else you can do tbh.
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2017, 10:14 AM   #4
mhester
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
12K in 5 years is peanuts I'm afraid, don't fall out with your AD as you are way off the mark here. Looks like now most people are expecting to wait 1-2 years.
I didn't expect to get to the top of the list for spending that amount but at least humour me and take my details!

I don't mind waiting a couple of years but it would be nice to get on a list. I don't fall out with anyone if I can help it but it does niggle that they blew me off like that.

When I bought the last Daytona I rang around and a few AD's took my details. Within a year I'd been offered the watch and was happy to buy it.

Old 25 March 2017, 01:33 PM   #5
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhester View Post
I didn't expect to get to the top of the list for spending that amount but at least humour me and take my details!

I don't mind waiting a couple of years but it would be nice to get on a list. I don't fall out with anyone if I can help it but it does niggle that they blew me off like that.

When I bought the last Daytona I rang around and a few AD's took my details. Within a year I'd been offered the watch and was happy to buy it.

From their point of view they have been turning people away for a year now or telling them they are tenth and twentieth on the list, including some who have spent £50K with them... and then you show up.
Old 25 March 2017, 04:35 PM   #6
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
I'd say new Daytona in UK is a waste of time.
This is one I'm definitely not chasing.

That said, maybe some people will join SD43 lists and may take one instead of the other....maybe.....l

Either way , I'd pay a premium and get one now, or move on to another watch.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2017, 04:47 PM   #7
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
From their point of view they have been turning people away for a year now or telling them they are tenth and twentieth on the list, including some who have spent £50K with them... and then you show up.

I think the OP is annoyed at the way he was spoken to. I had a similar experience with this watch, I'm trying to get one for my wife who already has the last version black dial and she loves the new version white dial.

The female manager at the boutique was quite cocky with me which was unnecessary, I didn't tell her anything about the watches I've bought and perhaps she'd have taken me more seriously if I'd done so but she quoted me 50 years on the basis that I bought a dssd there and then. This kind of attitude just guarantees that people won't return to the store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2017, 06:30 PM   #8
R G
Banned

OP, don't take it personally, most of what AD's say is bullsh*t anyway - they make it up as they go along. As you come across retailers, ask the question. Many will give you the same answer, in which case, move on. Just the way it is with these Daytona's - all smoke and mirrors.

R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2017, 06:39 PM   #9
harvey
"TRF" Member

...I've been wanting and waiting for 10 years! I guess it doesn't help I bought my seven from five different ADs. Sadly it's no longer a case of paying 1 or 2k over rrp to get one...

Good luck with your search!
Old 25 March 2017, 06:46 PM   #10
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Not for a DaytonaC?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2017, 06:55 PM   #11
harvey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Not for a DaytonaC?
Obviously not...a white dial Daytona.
Old 25 March 2017, 07:00 PM   #12
artschool
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
she quoted me 50 years on the basis that I bought a dssd there and then.
fifty years to get a daytona c?
artschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2017, 07:01 PM   #13
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by artschool View Post
fifty years to get a daytona c?

I know, stupid, I had to repeat it to her to make sure I hadn't misheard.

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2017, 07:04 PM   #14
artschool
"TRF" Member

Quote:

artschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2017, 07:20 PM   #15
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhester View Post

Even with the new hype releases, most AD's daytonaC list stretch years. I have friends who have spent 100k a year for mutilple years and they are still prob 2-3 years away.

I wouldn't be too upset at your AD. my AD has told me they get 10-15 calls or walk ins a day asking for the daytona and wanting to be on the list for the past year. So i'm sure they're tired of hearing it. Depending on AD, they might get 2 or 3 per year but they have 25 people on the list!!

For example, i know my AD has more than 500 people and only get 3-4 per month

best thing to do is keep trying to call ADs and you might luck out.

Also when you got your 2010 daytona and only waited a year... you need to remember that by then the 116520 had already been out 9 years!
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2017, 07:24 PM   #16
Ouro9999
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUB16610lv
In Brazil, 15k usd and 4 months waiting, you can choose any dial color on daytona c.

Enviado de meu SM-N910C usando Tapatalk
Ouro9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2017, 07:35 PM   #17
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Like others have said OP, 12k is not a lot in the Rolex world (yes to most people I agree but this is Rolex). I wouldn't burn my bridges just yet as you still have a history. Annoyingly though I think you'll have to buy others from them or any other AD to stand a chance of getting one in the next 5 years.

Yes it's sucks and is annoying, but that's the way Rolex do things.
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2017, 09:11 PM   #18
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP & Rolex
Maybe they are also kind of being honest - some take your details with not intention of adding to a "list" and give false hope
kultschar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2017, 10:01 PM   #19
never ready
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona ER
I was on the list at my local AD for more than 3 years for the previous Daytona and was approx 1 year away form getting one, then when the Daytona C came out the AD just started a new list and did not roll over orders that would not be filled from the old list, so by the time I phoned I had a 5 year wait :(

Not content with the new waiting time I sat down with the phone and my laptop, went on the Rolex website and just started calling AD's by order of distance from me, got the whole no list unless you're an existing customer, closed list and just laughed at, but in the end an AD just 100 miles down the road from me added me to their list with a wait of 18 months, that I feel is not that long.
never ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2017, 10:12 PM   #20
rudestew
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD SD43 Mk1 50TH
South west 3-4 years just hope I'm still ticking
rudestew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2017, 06:13 AM   #21
mhester
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by never ready View Post
I was on the list at my local AD for more than 3 years for the previous Daytona and was approx 1 year away form getting one, then when the Daytona C came out the AD just started a new list and did not roll over orders that would not be filled from the old list, so by the time I phoned I had a 5 year wait :(

Not content with the new waiting time I sat down with the phone and my laptop, went on the Rolex website and just started calling AD's by order of distance from me, got the whole no list unless you're an existing customer, closed list and just laughed at, but in the end an AD just 100 miles down the road from me added me to their list with a wait of 18 months, that I feel is not that long.
That's great advice thanks. Good luck.
Old 26 March 2017, 06:16 AM   #22
mhester
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. I've not been on the forum for a while so a bit out of touch. What you all say makes sense.

Happy hunting. Let's hope a few of us regular spenders get lucky!
Old 27 March 2017, 12:51 AM   #23
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
I've been told that I am now about second or third on the list so hopefully I'll get one this year.

I have to say that since the ceramic version came out I'm appreciating my older versions more and more. I put my name down for a ceramic just after they were announced last year and I suspect that I was carried away by the idea of a new version, but I will see how I feel about it when my name comes up.
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2017, 04:52 AM   #24
mikeyyn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SSDJ Sub PP5711
Honestly, this is ludicrous.
If you want a watch that much, get on a plane and go to Canada, or the US, or wherever. Or pay a premium over UK prices.
The lists are so long in the UK because our prices are still lower than most places. Globally there is no shortage of these mass produced watches, it just that UK buyers don't want to pay global prices.
mikeyyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2017, 04:57 AM   #25
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyn View Post
Honestly, this is ludicrous.
If you want a watch that much, get on a plane and go to Canada, or the US, or wherever. Or pay a premium over UK prices.
The lists are so long in the UK because our prices are still lower than most places. Globally there is no shortage of these mass produced watches, it just that UK buyers don't want to pay global prices.
On the majority of models maybe but with the Daytona doubt you find many places were it can be picked up at the local MRSP.
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2017, 05:04 AM   #26
mikeyyn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SSDJ Sub PP5711
OK, maybe you can't walk in, but you can still order one like anybody else. 4mths in Brazil is better than 5 years, if you are desperate, and some Daytonaphiles do seem to be desperate.
£750 gets you a flight, and you can have a holiday too.
Cant see the attraction myself, cant see the time without my glasses on a Daytona.
mikeyyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2017, 06:26 AM   #27
Shaky
"TRF" Member

I am truly thankful that I don't like the damn thing. Trying to get something you truly love and to be told yes come back in 20 yrs must be truly frustrating.

Have to say if it was me I would consider getting one from a grey dealer. Although it goes against the grain.
Old 27 March 2017, 06:26 AM   #28
Shaky
"TRF" Member

I am truly thankful that I don't like the damn thing. Trying to get something you truly love and to be told yes come back in 20 yrs must be truly frustrating.

Have to say if it was me I would consider getting one from a grey dealer. Although it goes against the grain.
Old 27 March 2017, 06:56 AM   #29
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

I would have said stuff your DSSD and I'll see you on George's coronation.