The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 May 2017, 04:49 PM   #121
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaky View Post
I always thought the worst thing about the dssd was that the bracelet was to narrow at the clasp. My opinion was Rolex had fixed this issue with the SD43.

If you can call it an issue that is
That's the hell of it.
One could put a handful of top ranking stylists in a room and they could come up with different solutions.
None would be right and none would be wrong.

At the end of the day issues around manufacturing processes/capabilities and bean counters would also have an influence in the outcome.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2017, 06:10 PM   #122
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

Yet another example why TRF is the best of all the Rolex discussion forums!

Brilliant photos Andrew - many thanks for taking the time and effort.
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2017, 06:12 PM   #123
Abyss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singslinger View Post
Yet another example why TRF is the best of all the Rolex discussion forums!

Brilliant photos Andrew - many thanks for taking the time and effort.
my pleasure :) and thank you to everyone for the thanks and pleased to be part of such a decent community
Old 4 May 2017, 07:21 PM   #124
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by eonflux View Post
I have noticed the end links, and on the DSSD, I love the way they protrude: the part of the end link closest to the lugs extends just past the lugs, then the middle part of the end link extends just a little further, like a cascade. One of my favorite design elements of the DSSD.

But I also like how it alternates on the SubC and GMTC, with the end link part closest to the lugs recessed a bit, then the middle part sticks out, so zig zagging instead of cascading.

The SD43 follows the Sub/GMT pattern, but isn't quite as recessed.
I think it would look a bit bland if completely flush.
I'm sure Rolex intentionally made each in each manner (same with Daytonas, Yachtmasters, etc).
Why not a consistent pattern/design, I'm not sure, but adds variety to the line up

x
I'd go so far as to add that the endlinks on the DeepSea are designed to make the lugs look smaller, and the endlinks on the sub are designed intentionally to make the maxicase lugs look even bigger than they actually are.

With the SD43 Rolex does not need the endlinks to influence the overall case design and so they are effectively flush.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2017, 07:28 PM   #125
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
Quote:
Originally Posted by panosi View Post
thanks once again , andrew for your time and effort on the comparison pics.

You're the man
+1

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
LuminousMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2017, 07:41 PM   #126
ejvette
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: me break clays..
some really great info & especially the photos

"The only difference between crazy and eccentric is the size of ones bank account" Anonymous

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
ejvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2017, 10:23 PM   #127
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
Fantastic collection and shots Andrew!!

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2017, 12:32 AM   #128
00Seven
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega
What's the difference in the clasp from the "normal" Glidelock?
00Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2017, 12:35 AM   #129
eonflux
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
From an economy of scale viewpoint you are absolutely correct.
However, I think you may have overlooked one detail in that the hour markers on the Ceramic Bezel are not centralised on the DSSD and are slightly offset toward the outer diameter, where as the markers on the new SD43 are centralised.

Of course it may be the case that the bezel insert itself is dimensionally identical but the final execution is different so in that case it would carry a different pert number regardless.
I actually considered that as well.

In the pics above of the SD43 and DSSD, the position of the 5, 15, 25, 35, etc, markers on the bezel may look further in or out due to the angle in the pic. Some of the SD43 markers look closer to the outer edge than the inner edge to me.

Just examined my DSSD (and took the pic below), and in person, those markers appear equidistant from the outer and inner edges of the black ceramic, and the angle of the bezel relative to the camera lens may make it look offset to one edge or the other.

Thus far, I don't see clear evidence in online pics (or reported measurements; I measure 43 mm with a simple ruler, someone reported 42.96 with a caliper, I've seen 43.05 online, etc) that the SD43 bezel is not the same as that on the DSSD, and I'm looking forward to seeing them side-by-side in person.

Whether or not the 2 share these or other parts is not a big deal, and the new SD43 looks like a great watch and should sell well.

eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2017, 01:16 AM   #130
johnnyjazz
"TRF" Member

Looks like the sd43 has a different bezel insert, 12 oclock triangle is different and it has the new flatter pearl insert into it.
johnnyjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2017, 02:17 AM   #131
kangajack
Banned

What a beautiful watch! Well done to Rolex. Perfect size placement between DSSD and Submariner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kangajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2017, 05:14 AM   #132
masyv6
2024 Pledge Member

Good pics! Surprised how thick the caseback is on SD43.
masyv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2017, 06:17 AM   #133
eonflux
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyjazz View Post
Looks like the sd43 has a different bezel insert, 12 oclock triangle is different and it has the new flatter pearl insert into it.
Great catch on the SD43 pearl!
It is flatter than that on the DSSD

The triangle looks the same to me in pics, and I'm looking forward to seeing both in person
Old 5 May 2017, 07:37 AM   #134
bombtech1999
"TRF" Member

Nice looking watch, think I'll just keep my regular ole Deepsea.
bombtech1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2017, 11:13 AM   #135
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyjazz View Post
Possibly.
I had forgotten about that aspect as it's been mentioned before.

I will know more tomorrow as I'm going to a preview exhibition of the new models so I'll take my good looking glasses to compare it with my D-blue.
Old 5 May 2017, 11:18 AM   #136
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by masyv6 View Post
Good pics! Surprised how thick the caseback is on SD43.
It's always been thick and bordering on a little too much, so I think they were hitting practical limits with the material and the original design.
Hence the development of the two piece Titanium Case-back for the DSSD.
Old 5 May 2017, 11:21 AM   #137
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I actually considered that as well.

In the pics above of the SD43 and DSSD, the position of the 5, 15, 25, 35, etc, markers on the bezel may look further in or out due to the angle in the pic. Some of the SD43 markers look closer to the outer edge than the inner edge to me.

Just examined my DSSD (and took the pic below), and in person, those markers appear equidistant from the outer and inner edges of the black ceramic, and the angle of the bezel relative to the camera lens may make it look offset to one edge or the other.

Thus far, I don't see clear evidence in online pics (or reported measurements; I measure 43 mm with a simple ruler, someone reported 42.96 with a caliper, I've seen 43.05 online, etc) that the SD43 bezel is not the same as that on the DSSD, and I'm looking forward to seeing them side-by-side in person.

Whether or not the 2 share these or other parts is not a big deal, and the new SD43 looks like a great watch and should sell well.

Great pic.
I see what you mean
Old 5 May 2017, 12:15 PM   #138
eonflux
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I will know more tomorrow as I'm going to a preview exhibition of the new models so I'll take my good looking glasses to compare it with my D-blue.
Cool!
Looking forward to your comparison of the SD43 vs DSSD.
Even if parts are the same as on other models, the SD43 is a nice package.

Maybe I'd consider one over a black DSSD, but definitely not over the D-Blue.
Love that dial!
Old 5 May 2017, 12:58 PM   #139
waterman1
2024 Pledge Member

I am curious if the bezel on sd43 turns identical to the DSSD? At times I feel the DSSD is too easy to turn. Is the feel the same?
waterman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2017, 04:38 PM   #140
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Cool!
Looking forward to your comparison of the SD43 vs DSSD.
Even if parts are the same as on other models, the SD43 is a nice package.

Maybe I'd consider one over a black DSSD, but definitely not over the D-Blue.
Love that dial!
It's a beautiful thing indeed.

I bought my wife a DJ 31 for a wedding present with a White MOP dial after much hunting high and low and waiting for new stock to rotate through.
The White MOP can be a little underwhelming at times and it's quite hit and miss as no two MOP dials are the same, even with the Exhibition grade that Rolex uses.
The example I bought for her is quite striking with lots of life in it and variation of colour in varying light which compliments the sparkle of the diamonds on the dial.

We often have a silly little joke between ourselves who has the most attractive watch.
We always look in the dealers we pass by, but nothing sings to her as much(which is probably a good thing).

To summarise, I quietly think my D-blue is nicer
Especially at night when one can read the time in the dark. Lol.

To get back on topic.
There's another post with great comparison pics just recently put up.
From looking at the pics I think the Pearl and Triangle are the same.
Old 6 May 2017, 12:07 AM   #141
actionkwj
"TRF" Member

Watch: me soak up the sun
Wow that Omega is gorgeous I absolutely love the design of the Planet Ocean chrono, but I personally find it to thick Sure is a beauty though!

actionkwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2017, 02:29 AM   #142
dadoubleren
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
Thanks

Great Visual on these.
dadoubleren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2017, 12:26 PM   #143
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
Andrew, great thread and amazing comparison photos of size and depth for each model. Your thread is extremely well thought out.

As a result, I am really liking the SD43 very much. I can not wait to try one on.

Old 7 May 2017, 07:30 AM   #144
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by actionkwj View Post
Wow that Omega is gorgeous I absolutely love the design of the Planet Ocean chrono, but I personally find it to thick Sure is a beauty though!
I agree...absolutely love the look and function of the 9300 (its one subdial w/ hrs & minutes is awesome). I couldn't buy the ss version fast enough when it was unveiled years ago, but much to my disappointment, it was the first big watch that "broke" me and after a short time with it I had to admit it was just too heavy & uncomfortable. So I flipped it.

Years later I tried the LM titanium version and was blown away by how much better it felt. Yes the thickness is still there, but its amazing how much more comfortable it is when you eliminate so much of its weight. I have been recommending to anyone that is in love w/ the 9300 but just doesn't like the feel of a brick on the wrist to check out the liquid metal titanium version...you might surprise yourself (like I did) with just how good it is.

And this is coming from a guy that has NEVER liked titanium watches...the new grade of titanium Omega uses w/ the 9300 LM is much less gray and actually looks closer to Rolex ss than any titanium watch I've ever seen. As with most things, pictures on the net or forums just don't do the watch justice...have to check it out in person.
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2017, 01:38 PM   #145
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moby33 View Post
I don't get it...deliberately not line it up to "hide misalignment..." or provide "leeway for polishing..." Nope, I still contend it's lack of attention to detail. When you can create tiny moving gears & parts that require tolerances to be crazy high within the movement of the watch, there's no reason why the company couldn't get the end links to line up perfectly. So it's either a lack of attention to detail (which I think it to be), or they really did design it that way (which as stated earlier to me, is a head scratcher).

When you have this much overhang, no amount of light polishing will eventually wear it down smooth nor do I think misalignments can be so high this will look good. Just my opinion, but as mentioned in other posts, there's evidence Rolex did in fact miss some tiny attention to detail elements on numerous watches that eventually had to be corrected. I wouldn't be surprised if eventually these end links are sorted.

All that said...I'm getting off topic...sorry. Please more pics and details of the glorious new SD43!!!
x1000

You're going to get a lot of blowback from SD4K, DSSD, and even SubC owners who've spent their hard-earned money, but the SD43 is among the first 6-digit professional models that Rolex nailed proportionally. Their designers took the last decade off, but this SD43 (among other new models like the DD41 and recent Explorer) is a step in the right direction. Hopefully Rolex had some turnover in the design department.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2017, 01:42 PM   #146
harvey
"TRF" Member

hi Andrew thanks for sharing your pix. if you had to choose between the dblue and the sd43 which would you choose and why?
harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2017, 05:16 PM   #147
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey View Post
hi Andrew thanks for sharing your pix. if you had to choose between the dblue and the sd43 which would you choose and why?

That's a good question, with lots of varying factors.

If I may answer it from my perspective as a D-blue wearer and after seeing the SD43 at a preview yesterday.
If I were starting out to buy my first Rolex diver today.
There's every possibility I would take the SD43 as a special watch to wear daily.

As an existing D-blue owner I would not replace it with a SD43 as it creates issues around the weight difference between them and making the adjustment.
I also have the DSSD(black) and I am committed to it as a daily wearer with the D-blue being reserved for special occasions.
Old 7 May 2017, 06:00 PM   #148
harvey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's a good question, with lots of varying factors.

If I may answer it from my perspective as a D-blue wearer and after seeing the SD43 at a preview yesterday.
If I were starting out to buy my first Rolex diver today.
There's every possibility I would take the SD43 as a special watch to wear daily.

As an existing D-blue owner I would not replace it with a SD43 as it creates issues around the weight difference between them and making the adjustment.
I also have the DSSD(black) and I am committed to it as a daily wearer with the D-blue being reserved for special occasions.
Thank you for your reply. My next watch will be out the three seadwellers. I would want it for weekends so I'm leaning towards one of the deepseas.
harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2017, 03:50 AM   #149
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
Quote:
Thank you for your reply. My next watch will be out the three seadwellers. I would want it for weekends so I'm leaning towards one of the deepseas.
As a previous owner of two DSSD (the first one I wore as my daily wearer from 2008-2011), I would say if you're mainly using it for weekend warrior duty, it would be a GREAT watch. I love the DS, but after years as a daily wearer I started to grow out of love w/ it somewhat as I found the thickness just wasn't as versatile as my SubC. But if used in rotation, it's hard to fault it IMO.

That said, I'm looking for a perfect all-arounder that I never take off (I'm transitioning from a collection guy to more of a 1-watch-to-do-it-all guy)...and for that, I'm excited about the SD43! Good luck.
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2017, 03:53 AM   #150
Abyss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
thats a very difficult question to answer, as mentioned I like a heavy watch hence the SS PO. The DSSD is very similar in weight and feel to the PO, but the SD43 does feel better..

So if I had to choose one over the other, id have to go with the SD43