The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 May 2017, 08:33 PM   #61
Bob the brush
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016 Explorer.
Cars are dead money, need regular maintenance, servicing, along with insurance, fuel etc, you can't take them on aircraft or boats. I got my first Rolex at a young age, still enjoying wearing it at 61,just go for it, take care of it and it will last you a lifetime. Good luck in all you do.
Bob the brush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2017, 08:39 PM   #62
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
For me personally I find hard to justify a luxury watch over a car. The car will give you so much utility, freedom and enjoyment with family and friends, great for weekend trips etc.

I bought my first Rolex when I turned 40. In hindsight I should have done it at the age of 30 when I had a car, spare cash, little expenses and a stable job with steady income.

Some people will tell you that you only live once, life's too short and they'd be right! That's exactly the reason why that money would be better spent elsewhere : trips, studies and experiences. There'll be plenty of opportunities to treat yourself to a nice luxury piece further down the road, once you get a steady job, a place to live and your don't depend on anyone.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2017, 08:47 PM   #63
subking86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
When I was in college I saw classmates wearing Rolexes all the time. It wasn't just while I was in the University either, they were all over the community college I went to first. Also, I have a customer that has bought his son two so far and he's only 16. Every time I see the kid around town, he's wearing one of them. He doesn't draw attention to them, so they look natural on his wrist. As long as you do the same, I say go for it!
subking86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2017, 08:51 PM   #64
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
If it is what you want and can afford it I say go for it.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2017, 09:33 PM   #65
mmusa
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gmt BLNR & SDc4k
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub King View Post
I am 18 years old and I have been in love with watches ever since I was a little kid but owning one watch in particular, the Rolex Submariner, has been a dream of mine for about a decade. I have the funds to purchase a no-date 114060 now, but the fact remains that wearing such an well-known expensive watch at such a young age might command negative judgement from others. There is also the fact that I would be buying this over a car, which most of my friends would find insane, but I am very happy taking the bus to and from college, so I really don't feel the need for a car right now. I love the Submariner with all my heart but I would love to get the opinions of some of the wiser members of this wonderful forum, since I certainly have some maturation and growing up to do. Thank you so much to everyone who responds; it is greatly appreciated.
go get ir and enjoy your life.
mmusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2017, 09:34 PM   #66
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by airchitect View Post
My first gig out of college netted me a 2500-3k bonus when I was about 6mths in. Wanted to buy a new Pepsi GMT. Instead I listened to others and "saved" it only to use it on stuff I don't remember. Strike while the iron is hot my friend......
Buying a watch with your first real check is a bit different than getting one before you're a freshman.

Does the OP want to be the guy who backpacked through South America, or the guy in English 101 with a fancy watch?
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2017, 09:39 PM   #67
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
I would not say that you are "nuts" however at 18 there are many other things that could make for a better life with that money.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2017, 09:50 PM   #68
slide13
"TRF" Member

I say go for it if that is what will make you most happy to do with that money.

I'd need a car first, but if you're content with public transit that's awesome.

I wore either an Omega SMP or a Rolex ExpII through part of college (I was in my early 20's then though) and trust me nobody noticed. College kids don't give a damn what watch you're wearing so I wouldn't let that aspect influence your decision.
slide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2017, 09:59 PM   #69
DLRIDES
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
I'm gonna go against the grain and suggest you wait until after college, have a job, and live independently. That money can be used for more beneficial items that can put you down an easier path in life.

I say this from the perspective of being working class that struggled hard when young.
DLRIDES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2017, 10:43 PM   #70
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRIDES View Post
I'm gonna go against the grain and suggest you wait until after college, have a job, and live independently. That money can be used for more beneficial items that can put you down an easier path in life.

I say this from the perspective of being working class that struggled hard when young.

I'm also going to go w the minority here - there are much better ways to use your money at age 18. The caveat being if your college is being bankrolled, your first apartment/house will be paid for , and if you have a trust fund that kicks in at age 21 or 25, then by all means get the Rolex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2017, 10:57 PM   #71
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD; 116610LN
I was lucky enough to have a Rolex at 17. It was a gift so I didn't pay for it. I didn't buy my first one myself until I was in my 20's. That said if I had the $$$ at 18 I would've purchased one. When I was that age I blew all of my money so something that I actually had to show for all the money I blew would be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2017, 11:02 PM   #72
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
If you've wanted a Rolex for a decade and are willing to take the bus then you've earned your Crown stripes for me, so have at it!
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2017, 11:08 PM   #73
Blue_Lume
Banned

Watch: Alleen Rolex
I did the same thing, same watch - at 18.

sold it 2 years later and got the same $ i bought it for - was delicious to wear it for 2 years then get the cash back and buy something i liked more.
Blue_Lume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2017, 11:39 PM   #74
TG3N
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
Buying a watch with your first real check is a bit different than getting one before you're a freshman.

Does the OP want to be the guy who backpacked through South America, or the guy in English 101 with a fancy watch?
As much as I generally react to these types of threads with the thought of 'Who cares, do what makes you happy', I think the above is actually sound advice.

I applaud the OP's mature outlook, but in your teens & early 20's, I'm of the view that your expendable time & money should be spent on experiences & living, rather than material things.

You are unlikely to have such free time & opportunity ever again. Go off and have fun travelling the world, and then, when you're inevitably later stuck within the same four walls for 40hrs per week, without the time to travel, answering to responsibilities, but earning a solid salary, that is the time you can easily indulge in material things, and will have plenty of time to look at & enjoy them.

(Of course, I recognize that for those fortunate, hard working and/or smart few, the two priorities need not be mutually exclusive.)

Each to their own, though. Good luck with whatever works for you.
TG3N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2017, 12:00 AM   #75
AdaWit711
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
I'm not sure age has anything to do with when you should get a Rolex. I believe when you have accomplished something major in your life (completed college, reached financial independence, achieved something which originally felt out of reach) is the perfect time. What I struggle to condone is spending thousands on a material item when other future debt will ensue. I don't have a car, haven't bought a house, plan on taking on student loans... if at age 18 you are already set and have achieved something you personally feel like creating a memory around, get the watch. If not... wait until you do, it will be more special

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AdaWit711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2017, 12:01 AM   #76
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG3N View Post
As much as I generally react to these types of threads with the thought of 'Who cares, do what makes you happy', I think the above is actually sound advice.

I applaud the OP's mature outlook, but in your teens & early 20's, I'm of the view that your expendable time & money should be spent on experiences & living, rather than material things.

You are unlikely to have such free time & opportunity ever again. Go off and have fun travelling the world, and then, when you're inevitably later stuck within the same four walls for 40hrs per week, without the time to travel, answering to responsibilities, but earning a solid salary, that is the time you can easily indulge in material things, and will have plenty of time to look at & enjoy them.

(Of course, I recognize that for those fortunate, hard working and/or smart few, the two priorities need not be mutually exclusive.)

Each to their own, though. Good luck with whatever works for you.

Bingo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2017, 12:02 AM   #77
esscaster
"TRF" Member

yeah if you can afford it why not. it's not uncommon at all. in secondary school and university there are lots of kids with Rolexes (myself included). It's really not as noticed as you think it'll be, unless you like to draw attention to it. It's one of this things people quietly notice but don't judge you on. Most people will think it was gifted. Going for something flash like a solid gold President I think shows you are trying too hard. no date sub is pretty classy though
esscaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2017, 12:22 AM   #78
BravoOne
Banned

Here's an idea. Invest it. double your money and buy both a car and a watch.
BravoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2017, 12:33 AM   #79
gmcassidy
"TRF" Member

You're certainly not too young to own a Rolex. As long as the purchase does not keep you from meeting your other financial goals and obligations, there is nothing inherently wrong with buying one at your age.

I will offer another "strategy".... If the 114060 is your current "grail watch" (I'm wearing one now and understand why it might be !) , why not wait and purchase it as a present for yourself for finishing college? Buying a watch for one of life's great moments gives a great watch a great story as well.

If you need to scratch your Rolex itch now, another thought is to go ahead and carefully look at a pre owned 36/39mm Exp1 or 16570 Exp2, or even a 14060/14060M. My personal view is that a Exp1 is a great first Rolex, especially for the younger owner. You wouldn't need to spend all the money you've saved for the 114060 either.

You could enjoy that used watch through your college years, then trade or sell it towards your grail 114060 upon graduation. Who knows, in 4 years or so your tastes may change and your grail watch may change to a GMT or something else. Maybe the mythical ceramic Coke or Pepsi steel GMT will make an appearance by then. Or the new stainless Skydweller....or a next generation Daytona?....etc.

I don't think many people will really notice or comment on your watch unless you wave it around like a flag and announce it every chance you get. You don't come across as someone who would do that. Those that will notice are probably going to be Rolex or watch fans, and they will probably admire it.

I had my first at age 25 and worked in a business where most of my peers certainly recognized my 16610 as a Rolex Sub and knew what they cost, etc. When given any good natured grief over it e.g. "we must be paying you too much if you can afford that watch", I would sometimes pull the dead Uncle or Grandfather story on them. "I don't know how much these cost; my favorite Uncle left it to me and every day I wear it I remember the great times....yada yada." They would invariably feel like crap, apologize, slink away.........until I let them off the hook and told them I was just kidding. I admit I left some of them on the hook for a long time!.

Keep the forum posted on your decision...and good luck on your studies.
gmcassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2017, 12:41 AM   #80
VinnieVegas
"TRF" Member

Watch: '06 GMT Master II
"I have the funds to purchase a no-date 114060 now, but the fact remains that wearing such an well-known expensive watch at such a young age might command negative judgement from others."

The fact is that most people won't even notice your wristwatch very much. But at eighteen, many of the few that notice it will cast a judgment and it probably won't be flattering.

It's an expensive item and most people consider it a luxury item. You're wearing an item on your wrist that to then represents a car, or a large portion of a house down-payment. A lot of people will tell you that you shouldn't care and they have a point.

At your age I suggest that the car is more useful. My advice is to get the car, pay what you can for school and don't absorb debt, after graduating pay off your loans quickly, and then buy your timepiece.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

* Seiko SRP777 (2017)
VinnieVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2017, 01:03 AM   #81
Investr
Banned

Watch: Constantly changes
from someone who waited WAY too long to get his first, get it NOW!! Soon, things will happen and you will put it off, etc. Also, these watches are not investments BUT they are assets and can be sold fairly easily and the loss can be manageable if bought properly. To quote a watch buddy of mine, they are "cash on the wrist". GO BUY IT!!
Investr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2017, 01:11 AM   #82
Bearhunter
"TRF" Member

i got my submariner about when i was 20 years old when i had an exceptional week at work and a huge overtime payday. I knew if i wasn't careful i would drink it in about a week.
I was travelling around a lot and wanted something of value, not blatantly obvious, could keep secure easily and was easy to liquidate if a crisis arose. I was also scuba diving as i lived in Bermuda at the time.

So Rolex it was. That was in 1974 ( see Saga of my watch post ). In difficult times of my travelling, it was comforting to know that i had an "insurance policy" on my arm. MY watch is now in for a service and i am lonely without it.

IF you can swing it financially, go for it. My old man always preached to me that the value of something is "what am I prepared to pay for it" not so much the actual price tag. I wouldn't give you 5 bucks for a Lady Gaga concert ticket but i did pay nearly a thousand dollars (1974) for a Rolex that became part of my life. The Rolex was even a part of my marrying my wife.... but that's another story

You don't need justification from others to what you want.
Bearhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2017, 01:15 AM   #83
Superburrito
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167
Am I Nuts to Get a Rolex at Age 18?

One of my favorite print advertisements of all time was an ad for a Porsche 911.

There was a beautiful car photo and the caption of the ad, in a very large font, said "Buyer's Remorse"

Below that it said "I wish I'd bought one ten years ago"

I love that. So just get the watch if you want. Crazy things happen in this world an no one knows how much time we've got. Enjoy your life they best way you see fit!
Superburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2017, 01:18 AM   #84
speedmaster73
Banned

as one suggested earlier...this forum is full of enablers....

enablers are the opposite of 'good advice'

my stance is simple.....if your wearing a rolex but cant afford a pot to piss in than whats the point...?

nothing worse than someone with school debt, no car, no house living in parents basement rocking a rolex....just opening yourself up to mocking from peers....

just the way it is.....perception/reality is a dangerous combo

speedmaster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2017, 01:18 AM   #85
ferrissteve11
"TRF" Member

Having been into watches for quite some time I can tell you that YES a Rolex NOW would be great, however if I had to choose between a car and a watch when beginning University....a car every step of the way. Something as simple as evening review sessions, studying late for finals....well if you have to worry about how you're getting home its an added stress that I would not wish to deal with. Though I lived in an area where public transportation options were slightly more limited. Now if I had lived in a major metropolitan area and everything was more reachable by subway/bus etc....well I might have rethought things a little. I got my first after I graduated and was working. Though as always YMMV. Good luck and whatever you decide...well don't look back - either way.
ferrissteve11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2017, 01:38 AM   #86
msuben
"TRF" Member

I say go for it. You saved for it and now you are able to buy it. Because you worked for it, you will appreciate it more and will have it for a lifetime. Then, start saving for the car. You were able to do it for the watch, so it should be easy for a car.
msuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2017, 02:05 AM   #87
Gaijin
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2017, 02:15 AM   #88
adawil2002
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16550 Explorer II
No, I was 17 when I bought my first. If it is something you want and will enjoy go for it. 30 years from now it will be able to tell stories.
6284 SS, 16014 SS Jubilee silver stick, 16253 TT Blue Thunderbird, 16550 SS Exp II Cream, bought in 1986, 116400GV Z-blue Milgauss, 79260 Tudor, 116660 DSSD-Blue, 116500LV Daytona White, 116710 BLNR, 326934 Blue Skydweller
adawil2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2017, 02:28 AM   #89
VinnieVegas
"TRF" Member

Watch: '06 GMT Master II
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmaster73 View Post
as one suggested earlier...this forum is full of enablers....

enablers are the opposite of 'good advice'

my stance is simple.....if your wearing a rolex but cant afford a pot to piss in than whats the point...?

nothing worse than someone with school debt, no car, no house living in parents basement rocking a rolex....just opening yourself up to mocking from peers....

just the way it is.....perception/reality is a dangerous combo

I agree 100%. A car is much more useful to you now. And minimizing school debt is important too.

To the OP, now's not the time, bro.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

* Seiko SRP777 (2017)
VinnieVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2017, 02:40 AM   #90
SrFADE
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
I think if you are coming to an online forum, where nobody knows YOU for who YOU are, and then asking if it's OK for you, as an 18 year old, to purchase a Rolex in lieu of a car, you may not be ready to make those decisions. Given the conditions you have described, I would suggest buying neither. Bank the money until you no longer care what complete strangers think about your spending habits. There are plenty of "enablers" here that I'm sure are spending above their means and think that it's perfectly acceptable behavior. Watch out! (Pun intended)

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth - Mike Tyson
SrFADE is offline   Reply With Quote