The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 June 2017, 04:42 AM   #91
schnitzerphilip
Banned

Watch: Daytona C 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by barto78 View Post
I called RSC in Dallas. The cost to replace the caseback is $200 and engraving the caseback does not void the warranty in any way.
Go back to your AD, thank him for his patience, accept his terms with a smile, engrave your initials and the date, and enjoy your new watch.

Lots of high and mighty principles in here from people who don't share the desire for the SS Daytona Ceramic or understand the power that the individual AD's (sadly) wield. The last thing you want to do is be difficult. Remember, he's got a list of about 100 people praying that he calls them instead of you.
schnitzerphilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2017, 05:32 AM   #92
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I always understood the reason Rolex casebacks were left plain was so customers could have them engraved so i dont think the engraving itself would invalidate the warranty.

The main issue that seems to be dividing opinion is whether this particular AD's policy of insisting the caseback is engraved as a condition of sale is morally correct or not.

I am in the 'not' camp although I do undersand the AD is simply trying to prevent the customer from instantly re selling the watch on the grey market, but do not feel enforced engraving is justified or necessary.

I know of one AD here in the UK that gets around the problem by simply retaining the warranty card for 12 months to prevent the watch being sold on sraight away.

This to me would seem far more customer friendly and acceptable solution.

No one is saying there is anything wrong with engraving a caseback, but it should be by choice not by compultion.
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2017, 07:21 AM   #93
Hougenie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Mad! View Post
I always understood the reason Rolex casebacks were left plain was so customers could have them engraved so i dont think the engraving itself would invalidate the warranty.

The main issue that seems to be dividing opinion is whether this particular AD's policy of insisting the caseback is engraved as a condition of sale is morally correct or not.

I am in the 'not' camp although I do undersand the AD is simply trying to prevent the customer from instantly re selling the watch on the grey market, but do not feel enforced engraving is justified or necessary.

I know of one AD here in the UK that gets around the problem by simply retaining the warranty card for 12 months to prevent the watch being sold on sraight away.

This to me would seem far more customer friendly and acceptable solution.

No one is saying there is anything wrong with engraving a caseback, but it should be by choice not by compultion.
What has it got to do with the AD. It's absolutely none of their business.
Most people want a Rolex to enjoy and cherish. Not everyone but most. This AD is punishing these people for the case of a few.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
Hougenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2017, 08:10 AM   #94
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hougenie View Post
What has it got to do with the AD. It's absolutely none of their business.
Most people want a Rolex to enjoy and cherish. Not everyone but most. This AD is punishing these people for the case of a few.

What it has to do with the AD is Rolex are cracking down on the number of watches that are finding their way onto the grey market.

Don't forget that Rolex don't supply the grey dealers, only their own network of authorised dealers.

Unfortunately, some of these AD's have unscrupulous staff that are selling stuff through the back door to the highest bidder far and above the RRP set by Rolex.

I was told by my local AD that their whole status as an official Rolex agent could be compromised if Rolex trace any of these grey market watches back to them.

That's why all AD's are now becoming paranoid that customers are buying to re sell straight away and potentially compromise their AD status with Rolex.

I'm not defending the AD for wanting to engrave customers watches, but you can appreciate the stakes are high for them if even 1 single watch is traced back to their dealership, they would have some serious explaining to do to prove they were trying to do everything possible to prevent it.
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2017, 09:07 AM   #95
Dunnej
"TRF" Member

These AD's are suffering because Rolex refuses to deal with the grey market or online retail. Swiss watches in general are suffering because they refuse to deal with online retail, but the evidence is pretty clear – watchmakers who take the plunge and work the online channel are coming out WAY ahead – look at Nomos!

Rolex should let ADs sell their new Rolex inventory on their websites...just admit that this is the way the world is going and get on with it. Good for the AD, good for Rolex, good for us. None of this engraving nonsense would ever happen again.
Dunnej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2017, 10:07 AM   #96
achenator
"TRF" Member

Adler's, Aucoin Hart or Lee Michaels?
achenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2017, 10:33 AM   #97
barto78
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by achenator View Post
Adler's, Aucoin Hart or Lee Michaels?

LM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
barto78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2017, 11:05 AM   #98
schnitzerphilip
Banned

Quote:
LM
....and 50 people are calling them right now to get your Daytona.

You did buy this already, yes?
Old 2 June 2017, 12:55 PM   #99
barto78
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnitzerphilip View Post
....and 50 people are calling them right now to get your Daytona.

You did buy this already, yes?

Yes. Will have it this weekend once engraving is completed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 2 June 2017, 01:01 PM   #100
phdezra
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Wow. Forcing you to have it engraved? Sounds fishy, albeit could be a respectable AD. Why?
phdezra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2017, 01:02 PM   #101
barto78
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phdezra View Post
Wow. Forcing you to have it engraved? Sounds fishy, albeit could be a respectable AD. Why?

This is only the 2nd 116500LN they've received at their store and I'm sure they want yo make sure it goes to a customer who's going to keep it. I also have never purchased a Rolex through them before, although my wife did purchase a 25k Rolex from them about 2 years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 2 June 2017, 01:38 PM   #102
tmw84
"TRF" Member

Well folks...i finally got the call yesterday. Re: 116500LN

For those complaining people, if you don't like the conditions, don't buy. There are 50 other people in the waitlist behind you.

This is a free market. Whether what the AD does is fair or not is besides the point, because this is a luxury good, not a necessity.
tmw84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2017, 02:53 PM   #103
Yvette
"TRF" Member

Congrats! I am glad I am not a fan of the daytona *yet
Yvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2017, 04:09 PM   #104
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusko.popov View Post
the watch is not nearly worth all that crap. Wow. Easy pass.
+1

OP, congrats on your purchase and it is a beautiful watch indeed. I am not that much of a fan so for me those requirements won't work. But engraving the back seems to be something that works even better for you (passing it on to your son and all...) so an added bonus for you!

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2017, 05:33 PM   #105
Danny83

Watch: Yellow Gold
Well Congrats
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2017, 05:50 PM   #106
lovetherolex
Banned

Quote:
Go back to your AD, thank him for his patience, accept his terms with a smile, engrave your initials and the date, and enjoy your new watch.

Lots of high and mighty principles in here from people who don't share the desire for the SS Daytona Ceramic or understand the power that the individual AD's (sadly) wield. The last thing you want to do is be difficult. Remember, he's got a list of about 100 people praying that he calls them instead of you.
Exactly! Don't even think about being "difficult". "Smile" as the AD walks all over you, requires you to deface your property and compromise it's value, literally taking money out of your pocket if you ever legitimately need to sell.

Can you start a seminar? I'd be over the moon if the next individual I have the pleasure of negotiating with makes it this easy
lovetherolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2017, 06:27 PM   #107
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I have been on the waiting list at a couple AD's since late 2016 and was fortunate enough to get the call Monday morning that my name was next up on the list. I've been going back and forth between either the white dial or the black dial and thus had my name on the waiting list for both models. I sort of always assumed the black dial would be the model i would get selected for first, since it's not quite as in demand as the white.

Well, sure enough i get a call on Monday stating they got the white dial in and was i still interested. Of course i said yes and was eager to come in and pay for the watch. The AD said there was two stipulations for them to sell me the watch

1. Promise i would not sell the watch
2. Have them engrave my name on the back of the watch

I don't have pictures of the watch yet, because it's still being engraved, but nonetheless, i'm now the proud owner of the 116500LN. I'll post pictures once i get the watch in hand once the engraving is completed.
Congrats on the incoming - no brainer to accept their stipulations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetherolex View Post
Exactly! Don't even think about being "difficult". "Smile" as the AD walks all over you, requires you to deface your property and compromise it's value, literally taking money out of your pocket if you ever legitimately need to sell.
Condition of sale - I see no problem. If you want to jump the queue you play the game. If it wasn't for flippers and grey dealers this wouldn't be a requirement - perhaps it is time for Rolex to hold guarantee papers on SS Daytona's for a couple of years to help stop flippers as PP does on some pieces.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2017, 06:48 PM   #108
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona - BLACK
Congratulations on the watch! Hope the engraving turns out beautiful! Can't wait to see it! I'm personally not sure why everyone is making a big fuss about it. In principle they should not require it...but the world doesn't work that way. If you said no it's a deal breaker...then they would call someone else on the list that does not care. Might as well, you enjoy and have something meaningful engraved.....
Old 2 June 2017, 07:12 PM   #109
Gaijin

Watch: ing your back.
We have discussed this before. Some ADs do require that you engrave something/anything ( they don't care what!) on the back of your SS Daytona.

If you don't agree then please pass. Don't try some semantics of "Well, it's my watch now, I paid for it!" while arguing or wrestling over the watch...

or "I'll show them, I'll pay for it then let them engrave the finger on the caseback then when it comes time to pick it up I'll refuse it, demand my money back or challenge it on my credit card."
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2017, 12:29 AM   #110
schnitzerphilip
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetherolex View Post

Can you start a seminar? I'd be over the moon if the next individual I have the pleasure of negotiating with makes it this easy
My son could have gotten into Harvard but they wanted him to do this essay and drive up there to interview with them, I told them no way, that's crazy, so now he goes to a state school.
Old 3 June 2017, 12:38 AM   #111
Hougenie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My son could have gotten into Harvard but they wanted him to do this essay and drive up there to interview with them, I told them no way, that's crazy, so now he goes to a state school.
Not even similar. Bad shout

Old 3 June 2017, 12:42 AM   #112
Hougenie
"TRF" Member

In all honestly I don't mind what the OP does. He loves the watch he's happy to have it engraved and pass down the generations. For that I say congrats. I just find it somewhat frustrating that people are so willing to bend over backwards for the AD here. Pass and buy a different watch if it were me. Just an opinion

Old 3 June 2017, 12:48 AM   #113
barto78
"TRF" Member

Quote:
In all honestly I don't mind what the OP does. He loves the watch he's happy to have it engraved and pass down the generations. For that I say congrats. I just find it somewhat frustrating that people are so willing to bend over backwards for the AD here. Pass and buy a different watch if it were me. Just an opinion

I get it....it seems odd and unfair, but i don't feel like waiting any longer. I don't plan on selling it and it only costs $200 to send the watch to RSC and get a new caseback on it.

Let's see....miss out on the watch and keep waiting or let them personalize the watch for me free of charge. Worst case, i've got a watch that is worth at least $3k more than i paid for it and i get the caseback replaced for $200.

Seems like a no brainer to me........
Old 3 June 2017, 12:52 AM   #114
Hougenie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I get it....it seems odd and unfair, but i don't feel like waiting any longer. I don't plan on selling it and it only costs $200 to send the watch to RSC and get a new caseback on it.

Let's see....miss out on the watch and keep waiting or let them personalize the watch for me free of charge. Worst case, i've got a watch that is worth at least $3k more than i paid for it and i get the caseback replaced for $200.

Seems like a no brainer to me........
I hear you and yes your logic is sound. The red fog clouding my better judgement lol.

Old 3 June 2017, 12:53 AM   #115
Hougenie
"TRF" Member

I think I would still pass on principal though

Old 3 June 2017, 01:09 AM   #116
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
Congrats on your Daytona.

The engraving would be annoying to me but I'd still carry on with the purchase for a grail even f it means I might have to swap the caseback later on.

I have a bigger problem with the promise not to sell the watch because you just never know if one day you're gonna have to sell some jewelery if in dire straits. So nothing written that I would sign with such a promise. If only verbal then I guess it's fine but I would tell them "ok. unless in case of force majeure". If they say no, I walk.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2017, 01:13 AM   #117
barto78
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicLeChic View Post
Congrats on your Daytona.

The engraving would be annoying to me but I'd still carry on with the purchase for a grail even f it means I might have to swap the caseback later on.

I have a bigger problem with the promise not to sell the watch because you just never know if one day you're gonna have to sell some jeweler if in dire straits. So nothing written that I would sign with such a promise. If only verbal then I guess it's fine but I would tell them "ok. unless in case of force majeure". If they say no, I walk.
Nothing had to be signed stating i would not sell the watch. It was more of, we do not want you purchasing the watch and then turning around and selling it 2 weeks later to make a quick profit, so please promise you will not flip this watch. That is not my intent, so i had no problem with the promise or their requirement for my name or initials to be engraved.
Old 3 June 2017, 03:36 AM   #118
schnitzerphilip
Banned

Quote:
Not even similar. Bad shout
Pick any other analogy you want, perhaps a pedigree breeder insisting that her purebred pug is given the proper injections before you drive off to her new home or a golf club insisting that it's courses are for members only and that you dress a specific way. We live within the rules that are presented to us when there is something rare and coveted that many people want and are willing to pay for.

There are two people who want the Daytona Ceramic. A true watch enthusiast, and a profiteer. Explain to me what is wrong with an authorized dealer ensuring that his coveted timepiece winds up in an enthusiasts hands, someone who will cherish it and wear it with pride for years to come? Isn't that what we all want?
Old 3 June 2017, 03:49 AM   #119
Hougenie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Pick any other analogy you want, perhaps a pedigree breeder insisting that her purebred pug is given the proper injections before you drive off to her new home or a golf club insisting that it's courses are for members only and that you dress a specific way. We live within the rules that are presented to us when there is something rare and coveted that many people want and are willing to pay for.

There are two people who want the Daytona Ceramic. A true watch enthusiast, and a profiteer. Explain to me what is wrong with an authorized dealer ensuring that his coveted timepiece winds up in an enthusiasts hands, someone who will cherish it and wear it with pride for years to come? Isn't that what we all want?
Yes it is. However, I think the vast majority of people are the former and therefore the AD should just get on with selling the watch to the next person on the list. Who are they to police it? If Rolex have a problem then that's up to them to sort. Most people want a watch to keep and I think a little faith and trust in this would go a long way.

Old 3 June 2017, 04:25 AM   #120
Toivonen
"TRF" Member

Watch: SeaDweller Deepsea
I can't believe what i've read. And i can't believe there are people that think this could be reasonable!
If an official Rolex Dealer should ever give me this conditions for buying a watch i'd immediately report this to Rolex itself.
I'm PAYING for the watch, i'm not stealing it and isn't a gift from the dealer!
I'm speechless.
https://www.facebook.com/bandadellavalvola/
http://orologi.forumfree.it/?t=75294392
Toivonen is offline   Reply With Quote