The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 14 August 2017, 03:04 PM   #1
jstan9
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT BLNR
New Rubber Strap for my 35mm SS/PL Yacht-Master - Can I do it myself?

Hello All,

First, apologies to the vets here who've no doubt heard this question before.

I've found this Rubber B strap designed specifically for my 17 year-old mid-sized (35mm) Yacht-Master (http://rubberb.com/en/rolex-watch-ba...-buckle-series).

I love this watch so much. It fits me wonderfully and is so comfortable (much more comfortable, in fact, than my brand-new BLNR, which I also love : )

I've been debating laying out the ~$3500 it would cost me to trade this beauty in for the 40mm version of the same watch, but have decided that this guy and I have been through a lot together. I love the watch and think a fresh band for awhile will give me that 'new watch feeling' with my old friend.

Question for you vets here. Should I buy a tool and do it myself? If so, what tool? What videos would you recommend? The Rubber B folds say to do it yourself or take it to your trusted dealer/watchmaker. I've established a relationship with an awesome AD here in San Francisco (Shreve & Co.) but am not sure they'll be into doing this, even though I've told them they get all my service business from here on.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance from a new forum member!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6248.jpg (276.5 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6223.jpg (259.3 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6238.jpg (279.8 KB, 169 views)
jstan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2017, 08:06 PM   #2
SearChart
TechXpert

Sure you can!
I'd recommend the Bergeon 7825 springbar tweezers. Make sure to liberally apply tape on the lugs to protect them from potential scratches.

Good luck & be sure to post some pictures of the new strap

SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2017, 12:18 AM   #3
jstan9
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Sure you can!
I'd recommend the Bergeon 7825 springbar tweezers. Make sure to liberally apply tape on the lugs to protect them from potential scratches.

Good luck & be sure to post some pictures of the new strap

Thank you! I know it's a total kindergarten newbie question but my suspicion was that it was more difficult than it looks to get the original bracelet off and that it was a learned skill. And I don't under any circumstances want to scratch my beautiful yachtmaster!

I also didn't really know which tool(s) to get. So thank you for that as well.

I've ordered the band and will get the tool and once I've screwed my courage to the sticking point and done the deed I'll post pix of me 'new' 17 year-old SS/PL Yachtie!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22 August 2017, 11:10 AM   #4
jstan9
"TRF" Member

Just got the Rubber B strap! I'm really excited about it. For awhile my beloved 17 year-old Yacht-Master will be a new watch to me!

The Rubber B packaging is really great.

So far I've got the strap and a Bergeron 6767-F tool. I've also ordered the pliers tool recommended and I've decided to wait for that.

The pliers are expensive ($150) but after watching a lot of videos it's clear to me that removing these pins is a bit tricky for a novice. The great forum reply recommended these as the best way, so...with gnashed teeth, I need to wait a bit longer. Will post pictures.

Here's what I have as of today.

Old 25 August 2017, 06:56 AM   #5
jstan9
"TRF" Member

Got the Rubber B! Still waiting on the pliers from eBay so I asked my awesome AD here in San Francisco if they'd put it on as a favor. My rep (the wonderful Mario) said 'yes' and the crack team at Shreve & Co. on Post Street in San Francisco did the rather challenging job (there really is an advantage going to a great AD for your Rolex : )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6353.jpg (264.4 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6352.jpg (253.6 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6355.jpg (271.1 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6354.jpg (262.6 KB, 95 views)

Last edited by jstan9; 25 August 2017 at 07:53 AM.. Reason: Typos!
Old 25 August 2017, 08:38 AM   #6
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

After seeing the white strap, I didn't think it would look good. But after the wrist shots, I have to admit, it really sets the watch off nicely!!! Looks like it shows dirt rather easy though!
Valenciawatchrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2017, 09:26 AM   #7
uansari1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
Did you order the pliers/tweezers from the eBay seller out of France? If so, it might take a while. It's been a month and I haven't gotten a shipping notice even, so I filed a claim.
Explorer 124270
Omega Seamaster GMT 50th Anniversary
uansari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2017, 04:43 PM   #8
SearChart
TechXpert

Looks great!!
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2017, 12:31 AM   #9
jstan9
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valenciawatchrepair View Post
After seeing the white strap, I didn't think it would look good. But after the wrist shots, I have to admit, it really sets the watch off nicely!!! Looks like it shows dirt rather easy though!

I love it!

As to the marks. Those were from the installation (kindly done by my awesome AD, Shreve & Co in San Francisco) and sort of inevitable. The bands are made for our specific models and fit very tightly and precisely.

Interestingly, it's obviously an issue that comes up because when I asked Rubber b a question, they sent back an answer along with some boilerplate ('I see you've ordered a lighter colored white, red, or orange strap...')

They recommended washing the band in dish soap (which is how I wash my yacht-master anyhow) but that didn't remove the installation scuffs (which are waaaay more obvious in the closeup pic from my iPhone than they are in real life).

They also said 'buy a white eraser'. I bought a pack from Amazon, they arrived yesterday and after a few erasures to my band, the scuffs are gone!

Great product from rubber b. Fantastic customer support!

Old 27 August 2017, 01:04 AM   #10
jstan9
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uansari1 View Post
Did you order the pliers/tweezers from the eBay seller out of France? If so, it might take a while. It's been a month and I haven't gotten a shipping notice even, so I filed a claim.
I did! They must be a big seller because they say they've sold over a hundred.

I got a date range from eBay but, like you, not the customary shipping notice from the seller. Perhaps they took august off on vacation? I'll wait till the shipping window is past before I file with eBay and PayPal. Luckily, my AD installed the rubber b for me and I couldn't be happier with my 'brand new' 17 year-old Yacht-Master!

Cheers
Old 27 August 2017, 01:07 AM   #11
jstan9
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstan9 View Post
I love it!

As to the marks. Those were from the installation (kindly done by my awesome AD, Shreve & Co in San Francisco) and sort of inevitable. The bands are made for our specific models and fit very tightly and precisely.

Interestingly, it's obviously an issue that comes up because when I asked Rubber b a question, they sent back an answer along with some boilerplate ('I see you've ordered a lighter colored white, red, or orange strap...')

They recommended washing the band in dish soap (which is how I wash my yacht-master anyhow) but that didn't remove the installation scuffs (which are waaaay more obvious in the closeup pic from my iPhone than they are in real life).

They also said 'buy a white eraser'. I bought a pack from Amazon, they arrived yesterday and after a few erasures to my band, the scuffs are gone!

Great product from rubber b. Fantastic customer support!

Here's an even tighter shot showing how well the simple white eraser got rid of those 'installation scuffs'

Old 27 August 2017, 03:09 AM   #12
jstan9
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstan9 View Post
Here's an even tighter shot showing how well the simple white eraser got rid of those 'installation scuffs'

And in bright sunlight. The eraser got rid of the scuffs and left *zero* tell-tale marks. It's the perfect solution and one I'd have never thought of. Hat's off to Rubber B's customer service team!