The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 August 2017, 12:45 AM   #1
sunizzle
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16710 GMT
First time Rolex owner - 16710 GMT

Hey all! Just wanted to share - long time lurker and first time poster.

I was on the hunt for a GMT for a long, long while to commemorate the birth of my daughter and naturally gravitated towards trying to find the perfect Rolex to complete my collection. I hesitated with the stigma of Rolex watches initially of course, and only after getting deep into the WIS world did I come back around and really appreciate what they do - make excellent, reliable tough-as-nails watches that stand the test of time.

Starting my hunt, I really focused on the 6-digit models and especially lusted after the BLNR for months and months. The ceramic bezel color combination, fully milled clasp and technical engine stats of the 3186 definitely had me interested. However - after trying it on my small 6.5" wrist at an AD, I somehow felt it had a bit more heft than I wanted. The maxi dial, case and PCLs also niggled at me. Fantastic watch and I really do love it, but in the end I think it wasn't for me - I wanted something more classic and tool-ish.

I gravitated towards trying to find the perfect 16710, and after diving into the depths of understanding serials, SELs, bezels, lug holes, and any number of combinations, I found a mint F serial with SEL and no lug holes. I've got NOS Pepsi and Coke bezel inserts en route, but couldn't resist sharing now. I plan on immediately putting the pepsi bezel on in a few days upon receipt. Happy to share once that happens as well.

First impressions:

I absolutely love the overall aesthetic. The slim form factor, classic bezel and smaller dial indices, and yes even the lightweight bracelet. Despite the SEL, it still has a lot more rattle than you might expect and certainly not nearly as substantial as even my Black Bay's bracelet. I can see how others might pick it up and feel it doesn't have that "big heavy luxury watch" feel and turn a lot of folks off.

However after wearing nonstop for the past week - I noticed something interesting, perhaps even indicative of classic watch design of the era. You almost forget the watch is on - it's so light and slim, but it's perfectly there and rock solid - ready when you need it. I get the feeling like I'm wearing the watch and not the other way around. It seems to have the perfect blend of weight and lightness that just sings to me. This may sound like a full throated honeymoon period (and it possibly is), but as with a classic Speedmaster, the watch's fit, finish and history impart an incredible feeling every time I take a peek at the wrist. I can easily see this thing staying on the wrist for another 30+ years. While I don't think I'll ever be a "one watch" guy, this certainly comes damn close to ticking every box.

Thanks for letting me share! Would love everyone's thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sunizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2017, 02:18 AM   #2
zeeww
"TRF" Member

Looks great!
zeeww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2017, 02:25 AM   #3
sickened1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ugiveiswatchuget
Very nice! Congrats. Here's a pic while you wait for those bezels to come in. Also might want to consider adding a jubilee bracelet too.

sickened1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2017, 02:27 AM   #4
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Looks like a clean one. Congrats and wear in good health.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2017, 02:31 AM   #5
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Terrific watch!

I think you said it best when you said that this reference is a watch that you wear and not one that wears you. Very well proportioned, sophisticated yet no nonsense timepiece. Great choice!

As an aside, the original black bezel actually looks best to me but nice that you have the options and variety with this watch.

Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2017, 02:36 AM   #6
SemperFi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Great looking on your wrist. Congratulations and welcome to TRF.
Tudor Ranger 79910
Nomos Club Datum 733
Nomos Metro 38
Stowa Flieger Classic 40

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2017, 02:49 AM   #7
fishingbear
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMTsSubLVEx2SDDayt
Congratulations, one of the best classics IMO!
fishingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2017, 02:53 AM   #8
Sky21
"TRF" Member

As you said, the 16710 is a perfect combination of light weight and toughness that will last a long, long time. Great idea to get all 3 inserts so you can change things up when the mood strikes you. I will second the idea above of picking up a Jubilee bracelet as well. They are crazy comfortable and another different look for the same watch. Here are two pics of my 16750, one on the oyster and one on the jubilee.

Sky21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2017, 02:54 AM   #9
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Excellent choice! Congratulations!!
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2017, 02:57 AM   #10
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Very nice...congrats!
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2017, 03:17 AM   #11
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Congrats
Old 21 August 2017, 03:19 AM   #12
mementomori1983
"TRF" Member

First time Rolex owner - 16710 GMT

Looks to be in amazing condition. Congrats! Having owned several Rolex references, I can agree that this one comes closest to ticking off all the boxes: comfortable, versatile, and has the most useful complications. Simply a classic!

mementomori1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2017, 03:21 AM   #13
JP.
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 16610
That's perfect.

My preference is the Pepsi but that's an easy "fix" for you as well (if you ever feel like fixing it haha).

Old 21 August 2017, 03:36 AM   #14
mtgjr
Banned

Watch: Pepsi GMT
Congrats! That's a beautiful example and a great review. I agree with your sentiments wholeheartedly.
mtgjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2017, 03:40 AM   #15
spandrels
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBMARINER 16610
You wear it well! Enjoy
spandrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2017, 03:41 AM   #16
PTruong
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060 & 116520
Congrats
PTruong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2017, 04:01 AM   #17
And1dre
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Congrats!
And1dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2017, 04:04 AM   #18
SurewoodMike
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC Port Perpetua
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunizzle View Post

I was on the hunt for a GMT for a long, long while to commemorate the birth of my daughter and naturally gravitated towards trying to find the perfect Rolex to complete my collection. I hesitated with the stigma of Rolex watches initially of course, and only after getting deep into the WIS world did I come back around and really appreciate what they do - make excellent, reliable tough-as-nails watches that stand the test of time.

Starting my hunt, I really focused on the 6-digit models and especially lusted after the BLNR for months and months. The ceramic bezel color combination, fully milled clasp and technical engine stats of the 3186 definitely had me interested. However - after trying it on my small 6.5" wrist at an AD, I somehow felt it had a bit more heft than I wanted. The maxi dial, case and PCLs also niggled at me. Fantastic watch and I really do love it, but in the end I think it wasn't for me - I wanted something more classic and tool-ish.

I gravitated towards trying to find the perfect 16710, and after diving into the depths of understanding serials, SELs, bezels, lug holes, and any number of combinations, I found a mint F serial with SEL and no lug holes. I've got NOS Pepsi and Coke bezel inserts en route, but couldn't resist sharing now. I plan on immediately putting the pepsi bezel on in a few days upon receipt. Happy to share once that happens as well.

First impressions:

I absolutely love the overall aesthetic. The slim form factor, classic bezel and smaller dial indices, and yes even the lightweight bracelet. Despite the SEL, it still has a lot more rattle than you might expect and certainly not nearly as substantial as even my Black Bay's bracelet. I can see how others might pick it up and feel it doesn't have that "big heavy luxury watch" feel and turn a lot of folks off.

However after wearing nonstop for the past week - I noticed something interesting, perhaps even indicative of classic watch design of the era. You almost forget the watch is on - it's so light and slim, but it's perfectly there and rock solid - ready when you need it. I get the feeling like I'm wearing the watch and not the other way around. It seems to have the perfect blend of weight and lightness that just sings to me. This may sound like a full throated honeymoon period (and it possibly is), but as with a classic Speedmaster, the watch's fit, finish and history impart an incredible feeling every time I take a peek at the wrist. I can easily see this thing staying on the wrist for another 30+ years. While I don't think I'll ever be a "one watch" guy, this certainly comes damn close to ticking every box.

Nice first choice

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
SurewoodMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2017, 04:26 AM   #19
SurewoodMike
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC Port Perpetua
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunizzle View Post

First impressions:

Love your choice!

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
SurewoodMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2017, 05:56 AM   #20
sunizzle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickened1 View Post
Very nice! Congrats. Here's a pic while you wait for those bezels to come in. Also might want to consider adding a jubilee bracelet too.

Hadn't even thought of a jubilee! Looks fantastic.

It's OEM to the watch right? Can you get at an RSC or must you source it separately?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 21 August 2017, 05:57 AM   #21
sunizzle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky21 View Post
As you said, the 16710 is a perfect combination of light weight and toughness that will last a long, long time. Great idea to get all 3 inserts so you can change things up when the mood strikes you. I will second the idea above of picking up a Jubilee bracelet as well. They are crazy comfortable and another different look for the same watch. Here are two pics of my 16750, one on the oyster and one on the jubilee.

Amazing - damn now I must look for this too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 21 August 2017, 06:03 AM   #22
AJM914
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
Congrats looks great!
Old 21 August 2017, 06:05 AM   #23
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Looks sharp, congrats!:)
rmlovett1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2017, 06:13 AM   #24
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Welcome to the forum.
Nice post of your journey to the GMT. Looks to be a very nice example.
Big congrats
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2017, 06:54 AM   #25
StevieWatch
"TRF" Member

Congrats
StevieWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2017, 07:06 AM   #26
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
Lots of love for the GMT. Congrats!

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
LuminousMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2017, 07:09 AM   #27
Oceanlover914
"TRF" Member

Watch: None at the moment
Congratulations. I like the all black bezel myself, but that's cuz I am a sub guy. Wear it in good health.
Oceanlover914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2017, 03:59 PM   #28
HACKNSACK44
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Congrats!!
Old 21 August 2017, 04:41 PM   #29
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
Congrats, wear it in good health.
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2017, 04:51 PM   #30
niseko
"TRF" Member

Definitely my choice if I had to choose one watch to wear for the rest of my life. Congrats and welcome to the club ;)
niseko is offline   Reply With Quote