The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 17 August 2017, 04:59 PM   #1
Datejust10019
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust YG
JLC Master Chronograph or Zenith Class T El Primero Chronograph: Which One's Best?

The first three images are of a circa 2001 Zenith Class T El Primero Triple Date Moonphase Chronograph in 18K rose gold on a black alligator Zenith strap fitted with an 18K rose gold butterfly deployant.

The fourth image is a circa 2011 Jaeger LeCoultre Master Chronograph in 18K rose gold on a dark brown JLC alligator strap fitted with an 18K rose gold butterfly deployant.

I have been looking for a watch with a chronograph and moonphase complication; the Zenith's complete calendar complication, however, seems like an added bonus. I was able to find only one such Zenith watch available on the domestic and international markets, so perhaps this reference is scarce or rare.

The JLC Master Chronograph is quite an exquisite piece. Stunning really.

I've tried on both watches and they each have their distinctive merits: Zenith's famed El Primero movement, multiple complications, dial detail; and JLC's equally attractive design features, stellar quality and reputation.

I'm debating which one of the two to add to my collection to mark and celebrate both a wedding anniversary and graduating from Harvard with a master's this year.

Thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg anniversary-watches-2017-158.jpg (235.6 KB, 325 views)
File Type: jpg anniversary-watches-2017-179.jpg (183.7 KB, 322 views)
File Type: jpg anniversary-watches-2017-219.jpg (216.1 KB, 319 views)
File Type: jpg JLC-Master-Chronograph.jpg (220.1 KB, 323 views)
Datejust10019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2017, 05:06 PM   #2
abmukete
"TRF" Member

Those are works of art. Congratulations on your graduation and good luck on your search for your grail watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
abmukete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2017, 09:22 PM   #3
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
I would take the JLC but I have no idea what your definition of the word "best" is.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2017, 10:14 PM   #4
PJ S
Banned

The Zenith is “best”, insofar as the higher beat rate allows for more accurate timing, but if you’re not really interested in timing something to fractions of a second, then it’s a moot point.
Being a more complicated watch, the Zenith will likely cost a bit more when it comes to servicing.

Any particular reason you’re looking at a chronograph?
Is it just down to these two, or are you open to other options?
If the latter, what’s the budget?
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2017, 11:47 PM   #5
nick c
Banned

I would go with Jlc good luck.
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2017, 11:58 PM   #6
regnant
"TRF" Member

That particular Zenith is the model I would like to have in my ownership.
Old 18 August 2017, 12:30 AM   #7
Datejust10019
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
The Zenith is “best”, insofar as the higher beat rate allows for more accurate timing, but if you’re not really interested in timing something to fractions of a second, then it’s a moot point.
Being a more complicated watch, the Zenith will likely cost a bit more when it comes to servicing.

Any particular reason you’re looking at a chronograph?
Is it just down to these two, or are you open to other options?
If the latter, what’s the budget?
Answers: I like the chronograph function for its design aesthetic, but also I actually use one of my other chronographs (Omega Seamster Aqua Terra GMT Chronograph) to time events. I am open to other options, but the baseline criteria is that I want a dress chronograph in 18K gold. Budget is $10,000 for new or preowned.
Old 18 August 2017, 12:31 AM   #8
Datejust10019
"TRF" Member

Answers: I like the chronograph function for its design aesthetic, but also I actually use one of my other chronographs (Omega Seamster Aqua Terra GMT Chronograph) to time events. I am open to other options, but the baseline criteria is that I want a dress chronograph in 18K gold. Budget is $10,000 for new or preowned.
Old 18 August 2017, 11:29 AM   #9
wach16
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228239, PAM00684
I would take the JLC personally although that Zenith is real nice!

Rolex 228239
PAM00684
wach16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2017, 11:30 AM   #10
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
JLC by a mile.
Old 19 August 2017, 02:40 AM   #11
Datejust10019
"TRF" Member

What is the argument for recommending JLC over Zenith please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman View Post
JLC by a mile.
Old 19 August 2017, 02:40 AM   #12
Datejust10019
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wach16 View Post
I would take the JLC personally although that Zenith is real nice!
Old 19 August 2017, 09:40 AM   #13
Manofsteelpt
"TRF" Member

Id go with the AC complication if it were me. Both are very sharp though.
Old 19 August 2017, 11:34 AM   #14
wach16
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228239, PAM00684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datejust10019 View Post
With JLC you are getting a brand with heritage that goes toe to toe with anyone. The El Primero is great and deserves its spot as one of the best chronograph movements of all time but I think JLC's history coupled with it's overall aesthetics win it over for me

Rolex 228239
PAM00684
wach16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 12:04 PM   #15
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Of those I'd go with the jlc, I like the look better
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 07:36 AM   #16
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datejust10019 View Post
You should see both of these in person to make your own decision. I have handled these models on separate occasions and I believe that JLC offer a better level of execution, more attention to detail, and a certain degree of warmth that is typically absent in Zenith time pieces. In other words, JLC feels like a work of art that is well put together whereas Zenith is a well assembled machine.

More specifically.

Zenith’s level of finish on the dial and on the movement seemed lackluster to me. Imagine striving to achieve something to perfection and then stopping three quarters of the way. That’s what I thought when I looked at the movements of numerous zenith watches. It was a turn off. Granted, Zenith makes fabulous high-beat chronographs and if you are into that sort of thing, then go for the chrono. However, if you want to admire a movement, do not go with Zenith or you may be disappointed. The JLC is no Lange when it come to movement decoration, but the JLC model in this thread has a solid back, so you won’t be disappointed with seeing an good but not stellar finish.

The only thing that really bothered me about this JLC chrono is the date window. The dial is thick and it casts a shadow on the white date wheel. It looks odd and that is why I did not buy the chrono with the white dial. I may consider buying the reference with the black dial.

Finally, in general I’d err on the side of JLC. I just like the brand better—classy watches, less gimmicks (thank heavens no more SEAL co-branding), and awesome movements.

Peace,
vman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 10:20 AM   #17
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
JLC for a dress watch, El Primero for a chrono. AC also = Zenith win.
Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 01:24 PM   #18
ocean2059
"TRF" Member

Watch: Chronograph
It's a tough choice! I have the same JLC (steel version) and a Zenith El Primero Chronograph (without the moon phase and triple calendar). I like both equally! In your case, Zenith has more complications, particularly the moon phase. But if that's less important to you, I would definitely recommend the JLC. First, while the Zenith El Primero is one of the legendary calibers, the JLC's 751 is also excellent, if not more modern then the El Primero. JLC calibre 751 is the first in-house automative chronograph movement developed in early 2000 and it packed with a lot of more modern features. Please see the link here for the interesting write-up on the JLC and its movement (https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/th...ts-on-in-house). Regarding the movement accuracy, my JLC runs better than the Zenith. As for the dial, I personally like the JLC better. The JLC is more of a classical design with beautiful execution. To me, the JLC is more of a dress watch whereas the Zenith is a sporty watch. But either one is a wonderful choice. Congratulation of your new MS degree!
ocean2059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2017, 05:00 AM   #19
sery.vlk
"TRF" Member

The design cues of this particular Zenith show it is cca 15 years older than the JLC which is simpler and by far more elegant. (Btw, the plasticity of its dial is breathtaking.)

As far as movement is concerned, El Primero wins (for me) in terms of reliability. It's simply a design proven by many decades. I guess it is also easier to service; however, the price of a complete overhaul will be increased by the replacement correctors. As far as JLC cal. 751 is concerned, its design is more modern (vertical clutch) but in my own experience, its winding efficiency is lower compared to most other watches; with 60 - 65 hours power reserve, this is not critical, though.

Personally, my vote favours Zenith by I would look around to find ref. 18.2110.400 which is more contemporary, bolder design, more universal. And priced in a more friendly way.

Anyway, whichever of the two you chose, it will be a tremendous watch!

petr
sery.vlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2017, 10:47 PM   #20
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird
For a dress chrono, I prefer the simplicity of the JLC. I would happily own either, but there are a few things that I like less about the Zenith:

1. Looks like a watch with a movement "too small" for the dial. Like everything has been sucked to the center.
2. Full-date plus moonphase plus chrono is getting too complicated. I would rather a full-date with moon or chrono with moon.
3. The hands are nice, but the JLC's look a lot prettier, and the JLC subdial hands look much more legible.

I'd take either of these. The Zenith is a bit flashier, and the JLC is definitely conservative, sedate and classic-- but, maybe a little boring.
slcbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2017, 03:03 AM   #21
ocean2059
"TRF" Member

Watch: Chronograph
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcbbrown View Post
For a dress chrono, I prefer the simplicity of the JLC. I would happily own either, but there are a few things that I like less about the Zenith:

1. Looks like a watch with a movement "too small" for the dial. Like everything has been sucked to the center.
2. Full-date plus moonphase plus chrono is getting too complicated. I would rather a full-date with moon or chrono with moon.
3. The hands are nice, but the JLC's look a lot prettier, and the JLC subdial hands look much more legible.

I'd take either of these. The Zenith is a bit flashier, and the JLC is definitely conservative, sedate and classic-- but, maybe a little boring.
I agree with you on both pieces. I really feel that JLC is a very classy dress chrono.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender copy.jpg (173.2 KB, 126 views)
ocean2059 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class t , el primero , jlc master chronograph , moonphase chronograph , zenith