The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 25 July 2017, 04:53 PM   #91
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by jem7v View Post
Oh boy here we go again....... I clearly said employees/clients didn't I? Does joe schmo or yourself all into that category? I guess if all your employees are barely educated kids, then sure you could always find more if one quits in anger. PhDs are a tad different.......

Conkers is in finance I'm assuming, since he always has a picture of his bloomberg keyboard. If he isn't trading for himself or a prop shop, maybe you should ask him what happens if you walk into say an investment bank with a 44RG on your wrist . See if you still have your job by days end.That example may help you understand how people react to you in a highly educated industry wearing loud things.

Come on now dude. You really gonna go there? Some of us here don't worry about having a job by days end because maybe we own the company? Highly educated industry? Really? Why is that even relevant in this discussion?

That's why you get into these unnecessary arguments on here. Sometimes, silence is golden my friend. Just enjoy the watch. Loud or not, it's a great piece and looks good on you. Enjoy!
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE / AP 26574st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26331.or/ AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2017, 06:10 PM   #92
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Oh boy here we go again....... I clearly said employees/clients didn't I? Does joe schmo or yourself all into that category? I guess if all your employees are barely educated kids, then sure you could always find more if one quits in anger. PhDs are a tad different.......

Conkers is in finance I'm assuming, since he always has a picture of his bloomberg keyboard. If he isn't trading for himself or a prop shop, maybe you should ask him what happens if you walk into say an investment bank with a 44RG on your wrist . See if you still have your job by days end.That example may help you understand how people react to you in a highly educated industry wearing loud things.
You are doin' ok mate.

You did know that a day and a half was 36 hours.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2017, 06:19 PM   #93
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:

How do you know conkers doesn't work at an investment bank? (Not that it's our business). Anyway, you've missed the mark re. the culture of this city -- plenty of investment bank employees here are wearing all types of AP. The culture here doesn't demand the same level of modesty as US, UK, etc.
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2017, 10:08 PM   #94
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
You are doin' ok mate.

You did know that a day and a half was 36 hours.
Priceless
Old 25 July 2017, 10:10 PM   #95
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Well, just got confirmation my watch is still in diagnostics ... as to the rest of this thread:

At least now i know where to post the incoming when i finally acquire my grail Bloomberg keyboard
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2017, 11:41 PM   #96
lianghee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pam, AP, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
So my RG 44,which is 3 1/2 months old broke today. Obviously I’m sending it in but figured i would see if anyone has any thoughts on what happened.

The watch is fully wound and works fine until i use the chrono. The chrono works until the 30 minute mark (specifically about 10 seconds short of 30 minutes) and it stops. It also completely stops the rest of the watch as well. I reset the chrono and the watch is still frozen. I unscrew the crown and pull it out until i can engage the time setting and then reset the watch to the correct time, screw the crown back in and the watch starts again and works fine. It does NOT start working on its own though, but only after i pull the crown out, and reset the time. No winding required though. This pattern has repeated itself 3 times in a row, and the results are exactly the same.

My understanding is the chronograph module is on top of the regular calibre 3120. If they are basically separate pieces then why does a malfunctioning chronograph affect the rest of the watch as well? I would assume once the chronograph is engaged, unless it is a power reserve issue (which it does not appear to be), and it stops, the timekeeping of the rest of the watch should be unaffected.

Note, this is NOT an AP bashing/reliability post as these types of things are bound happen to mechanical watches. I have four AP's and never have had a single issue before. I have not lost confidence either, i am curious though if anyone else has had this issue or knows what might have happened? I hardly ever use the chronograph function, probably used it less than 10 times in total since i got the watch.

Thoughts?

I had almost the same problem with my 42 grey theme last year. Once the chrono started, it only lasted a few mins before it stopped together with the second hand. Another issue was power reserve only lasted for a while even when fully wounded. Sent it back to Liat Tower in Singapore and got it back within a month. According to them, it was oiling issue.

However I do suspect it was due to my watch winder. Some members told me that AP doesn't really work well with winders. Since then, I never put any of my AP into a winders.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
lianghee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2017, 12:02 AM   #97
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lianghee View Post
I had almost the same problem with my 42 grey theme last year. Once the chrono started, it only lasted a few mins before it stopped together with the second hand. Another issue was power reserve only lasted for a while even when fully wounded. Sent it back to Liat Tower in Singapore and got it back within a month. According to them, it was oiling issue.

However I do suspect it was due to my watch winder. Some members told me that AP doesn't really work well with winders. Since then, I never put any of my AP into a winders.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
i haven't had any issues with my 15400 on a winder, its been on one for several years. The RO chronos dont work as well on a winder unless you have it do double the rotations per day as they are unidirectional winding and not bi directional like most other AP's so you are only getting half the winds on a winder which may not be enough to keep the watch from stopping on the winder.
Old 6 August 2017, 09:23 PM   #98
Chary
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15407ST
Hang in there!! mine just came back after almost 2 months!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Instagram: Chary1
Chary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2017, 11:29 PM   #99
Rmoor
"TRF" Member

Add me to the problem list!

Just got my 26400so yesterday and definitely have an issue. Watch is brand new and when I first set the watch I wound it 40 times or so and started the chrono. After about 10 seconds the chrono hand stopped. Hit the stop/start pusher and it started after 2 clicks. Then stopped again. The dealer checked the watch and started/ stopped the chrono a bunch of times after winding the watch about 30 more times. Everything was fine for about 2 hours of wearing with the chrono running I looked at the watch and it was dead nothing was moving took it off looked at the back and nothing! Reset it and wore it without the chrono running and seemed good. Took the watch off at 11:30pm put it in the safe and this morning checked it and didn't even make it until midnight! Off to APSC hope they get it all sorted out quickly!
Rmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2017, 11:45 PM   #100
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmoor View Post
Just got my 26400so yesterday and definitely have an issue. Watch is brand new and when I first set the watch I wound it 40 times or so and started the chrono. After about 10 seconds the chrono hand stopped. Hit the stop/start pusher and it started after 2 clicks. Then stopped again. The dealer checked the watch and started/ stopped the chrono a bunch of times after winding the watch about 30 more times. Everything was fine for about 2 hours of wearing with the chrono running I looked at the watch and it was dead nothing was moving took it off looked at the back and nothing! Reset it and wore it without the chrono running and seemed good. Took the watch off at 11:30pm put it in the safe and this morning checked it and didn't even make it until midnight! Off to APSC hope they get it all sorted out quickly!

Pretty much the exact same thing with mine. The only difference is when i gave up on trying to use the chronograph and fully would the watch it would run fine for the full amount of power reserve when off the wrist. Looks like my turnaround time will be right at 5 weeks, so not bad. AP has said it should be done on Aug 22.
Old 18 August 2017, 12:27 AM   #101
jem7v
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
Pretty much the exact same thing with mine. The only difference is when i gave up on trying to use the chronograph and fully would the watch it would run fine for the full amount of power reserve when off the wrist. Looks like my turnaround time will be right at 5 weeks, so not bad. AP has said it should be done on Aug 22.
So then for both of you if you use the chrono, it would cause the watch to die? But when you didn't use the chrono it would work fine?
jem7v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2017, 12:32 AM   #102
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So then for both of you if you use the chrono, it would cause the watch to die? But when you didn't use the chrono it would work fine?
for my watch, that is correct. The chronograph would stop and then also make the watch stop at the same time. I would re-set the time and not use the chronograph and it worked perfectly as a time only watch, including putting it in the safe for close to two days without it dying.
Old 18 August 2017, 03:07 AM   #103
Rmoor
"TRF" Member

Quote:

My watch worked fine with the chrono not running but the power reserve has an issue because I took it off and put it in my safe and this morning it wasn't running so roughly 8 hours max the power reserve lasted and the watch was wound 50 plus times yesterday and worn for 4-5 hours walking so I expect it had enough to build up the power reserve to the 50 hour minimum. Also had a issue as I said with the watch stopping completely with the chrono running while wearing it seems to me like 2 separate issues but off to apsc Monday in the meantime I'll wear my hublot!
Old 18 August 2017, 03:14 AM   #104
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
meantime I'll wear my hublot!
Please accept my condolences
Old 18 August 2017, 03:23 AM   #105
Rmoor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Please accept my condolences

Haha that the AP has issues already!?! Thanks!

Jk I know hublot is not respected here but I will say it's still keeping time and functioning properly!
Old 18 August 2017, 04:09 AM   #106
jem7v
Banned

Quote:
for my watch, that is correct. The chronograph would stop and then also make the watch stop at the same time. I would re-set the time and not use the chronograph and it worked perfectly as a time only watch, including putting it in the safe for close to two days without it dying.
I forgot, this would happen to you regardless if the watch was fully wound or not correct? Essentially any time you engaged the chrono, it would just cause the whole thing to die.

Quote:
My watch worked fine with the chrono not running but the power reserve has an issue because I took it off and put it in my safe and this morning it wasn't running so roughly 8 hours max the power reserve lasted and the watch was wound 50 plus times yesterday and worn for 4-5 hours walking so I expect it had enough to build up the power reserve to the 50 hour minimum. Also had a issue as I said with the watch stopping completely with the chrono running while wearing it seems to me like 2 separate issues but off to apsc Monday in the meantime I'll wear my hublot!
So for the last part when you say the watch stopping completely with the chrono running, it sounds like the same as the above? How long would the chrono run before the watch stopped?

It sounds like you have a power reserve issue, and the chrono issue in the above post?
jem7v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2017, 04:16 AM   #107
Rmoor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I forgot, this would happen to you regardless if the watch was fully wound or not correct? Essentially any time you engaged the chrono, it would just cause the whole thing to die.

So for the last part when you say the watch stopping completely with the chrono running, it sounds like the same as the above? How long would the chrono run before the watch stopped?

It sounds like you have a power reserve issue, and the chrono issue in the above post?

First time it was running for 10 seconds before I left the dealer. Thought maybe it didn't have enough power reserve to operate so i wound it some more and wore it for about 2 hours with the chrono running then I noticed the watch stopped completely
Old 18 August 2017, 04:36 AM   #108
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
yes. Why it happens though i have no idea as in theory the chronograph is a module that sits on top of the 3120 base movement and should be independent of each other as far as i know. So why the chronograph affected the base movement, i have no idea.

The only thing i know of that would affect both would be a power reserve issue which my watch didn't appear to have.
Old 18 August 2017, 04:51 AM   #109
WWCO
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough
Quote:
Well, just got confirmation my watch is still in diagnostics ... as to the rest of this thread:

At least now i know where to post the incoming when i finally acquire my grail Bloomberg keyboard
WWCO is offline   Reply With Quote