The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 August 2017, 06:55 PM   #1
HKS724
Banned

Smoking vs Non Smoking

Hi All,

I just received a DJ 116234 from a reputable dealer. The smell of the box, papers, and watch is indicative of the previous owner having been a smoker. I wanted to ask if being in a smoking environment affects the internal movement of watches over time. And does it destroy its value?

Thank you.
HKS724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 06:59 PM   #2
MonBK
Banned

Seriously?
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 07:04 PM   #3
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
Seriously?
Yeah, is this a joke ?
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 07:05 PM   #4
HKS724
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
Seriously?
Why not? Humidity affects a watch over time, tobacco fumes isn't too farfetched, is it? I'm allergic to cigarette smoke as well.
Old 20 August 2017, 07:15 PM   #5
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKS724 View Post
Hi All,

I just received a DJ 116234 from a reputable dealer. The smell of the box, papers, and watch is indicative of the previous owner having been a smoker. I wanted to ask if being in a smoking environment affects the internal movement of watches over time. And does it destroy its value?

Thank you.
No.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 07:25 PM   #6
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

It can make the bracelet a bit limp!!
Old 20 August 2017, 07:36 PM   #7
mathfjeld
"TRF" Member

haha, TRF never stops to surprise me!

"The maid of the last owner of my Rolex died from cancer. Does this mean my watch has cancer?"
"Can I use my Rolex while driving in tunnels under the sea? Its only 100 m wr"
mathfjeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 07:39 PM   #8
Leodagan
"TRF" Member

what kind of cigarettes ?
Leodagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 07:40 PM   #9
Edzilla
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathfjeld View Post
haha, TRF never stops to surprise me!

"The maid of the last owner of my Rolex died from cancer. Does this mean my watch has cancer?"
"Can I use my Rolex while driving in tunnels under the sea? Its only 100 m wr"
Oh'Snap!!
Edzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 07:51 PM   #10
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Cigarette smoke is acidic and contains a veritable medley of thousands of organic and non-organic chemical compounds which collectively are unpleasant enough to be termed "tar". Most are particulate, some are gaseous.

I have absolutely no idea whether any of these thousands of compounds could affect a watch movement over time, though I do know that there isn't a watch case in existence that is truly air tight so some gases could certainly permeate the case, even if the particulate matter couldn't.

Overall whilst I strongly suspect the OP is fretting over nothing I don't see why it's considered to be a silly question. Certainly not when compared to a large proportion of questions that are posed on here on a daily basis, at any rate - the answer to OP's question does actually have an objective answer, even if nobody can actually answer objectively.
Zakalwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 08:14 PM   #11
SearChart
TechXpert

Ehm? no.

SearChart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 08:17 PM   #12
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
It takes a very brave man to sniff a used watch!!
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 08:18 PM   #13
sager
"TRF" Member

You're fine. I would suggest airing the box out if you are allergic to the smell of cigarettes.
sager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 08:21 PM   #14
HKS724
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
Cigarette smoke is acidic and contains a veritable medley of thousands of organic and non-organic chemical compounds which collectively are unpleasant enough to be termed "tar". Most are particulate, some are gaseous.

I have absolutely no idea whether any of these thousands of compounds could affect a watch movement over time, though I do know that there isn't a watch case in existence that is truly air tight so some gases could certainly permeate the case, even if the particulate matter couldn't.

Overall whilst I strongly suspect the OP is fretting over nothing I don't see why it's considered to be a silly question. Certainly not when compared to a large proportion of questions that are posed on here on a daily basis, at any rate - the answer to OP's question does actually have an objective answer, even if nobody can actually answer objectively.
Thank you for taking the time! That was my train of thought. I don't pretend to know everything there is about watches. I wanted to ask the simplest form of the question, but sadly, it also resulted in shallow responses.

If dials on a watch can patina, yellow, crack, attract dust particles, is it outside the realm of possibility that years of cigarette fumes can affect the its internals? I don't think this is solely work of years of "being in the sun". Wholeheartedly believing that the hermetic seal that Rolex purports will yield a watch that is impervious to all outside forces is more of lapse of common sense than sensible faith in the reputable brand. The DJ I am asking about is nowhere near vintage. It's an M serial, which makes it about 8 years old. I think 8 years is a considerable amount of time.
Old 20 August 2017, 08:25 PM   #15
RonSwanson
"TRF" Member

I understand why you're upset, it is a bummer to have your watch offend any of the senses, and a smoky box would annoy me as well. I alsogenerally Disprove of smoking cigarettes, given what we know about them. Hopefully you got a good enough deal on the piece that it doesn't sour the purchase in your mind.

As far as the movement goes, I would think the water resistance of any modern Rolex should protect the movement from intrusion of smoke.

Maybe air it out and enjoy!
RonSwanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 08:28 PM   #16
HKS724
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
I understand why you're upset, it is a bummer to have your watch offend any of the senses, and a smoky box would annoy me as well. I also generally Disprove of smoking cigarettes, given what we know about them. Hopefully you got a good enough deal on the piece that it doesn't sour the purchase in your mind.

As far as the movement goes, I would think the water resistance of any modern Rolex should protect the movement from intrusion of smoke.

Maybe air it out and enjoy!
Thank you! One thing I didn't disclose is that I purchased it with plans of gifting it to my father for his 65th. Personally, this changes things a little bit.
Old 20 August 2017, 09:12 PM   #17
Spoonage

I think you should be ok. As others have said air out the box. Most boxes are the same. Could be worth just picking up another box on here, ebay, etc. then sell the old one. Papers you could put in a zip lock with activated carbon packets in hopes to deodorize it a bit or possibly again buy another set online (except the warranty card). As for the watch, you could always service it if there are any doubts as to functionality. I know that's putting in more money, but the best way to put your mind at ease short of purchasing new.
Spoonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 09:19 PM   #18
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Thank you! One thing I didn't disclose is that I purchased it with plans of gifting it to my father for his 65th. Personally, this changes things a little bit.
The DJ is pressure tested to withstand the extreme water pressure at 100m,plus the fact they have even boiled a Rolex oyster watch in water for 10 minutes.So I am 100% sure cigarette smoke will not harm the movement in any way.If the watch does have any sort of smell which I cannot understand if it does.Just give it a wash in soap and water,rinse well after,then dry in any cotton clean lint free cloth all should be fine.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 09:23 PM   #19
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
The DJ is pressure tested to withstand the extreme water pressure at 100m,plus the fact they have even boiled a Rolex oyster watch in water for 10 minutes.So I am 100% sure cigarette smoke will not harm the movement in any way.If the watch does have any sort of smell which I cannot understand if it does.Just give it a wash in soap and water,rinse well after,then dry in any cotton clean lint free cloth all should be fine.
Exactly.

No way there is smoke inside the watch, if it has a smell you should wash it thoroughly.
SearChart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 09:43 PM   #20
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs,1803, 16610LV
Quote:
Thank you for taking the time! That was my train of thought. I don't pretend to know everything there is about watches. I wanted to ask the simplest form of the question, but sadly, it also resulted in shallow responses.

If dials on a watch can patina, yellow, crack, attract dust particles, is it outside the realm of possibility that years of cigarette fumes can affect the its internals? I don't think this is solely work of years of "being in the sun". Wholeheartedly believing that the hermetic seal that Rolex purports will yield a watch that is impervious to all outside forces is more of lapse of common sense than sensible faith in the reputable brand. The DJ I am asking about is nowhere near vintage. It's an M serial, which makes it about 8 years old. I think 8 years is a considerable amount of time.
Not sure why you believe that cases that are sealed and WR pressure-tested just sit there and allow a few smoke particles floating in the air under ambient pressure drift in and out at will. I've unscrewed 100 year-old pocket watch casebacks that aren't even rated as Water Resistant and the movements are still gleaming and pristine and they lived through the 1930's Dust Bowl.

If a smoker's smoke particles messed-up Rolex movements after a mere few years, 1 million Rolex on wrists in Beijing would stop and need servicing after walking around outside for 1 average smoggy day.

Sorry to hear you're stricken with such an acute cigarette smoke sensitivity and allergy that you can sniff-test a watch. I say this because you never disclosed your sensitivity on the other thread you began, "Hunting for Rolex GMT in Land of Rising Sun" where you wanted to know places to shop for pre-worn watches in Tokyo/Osaka, etc but didn't bother to acknowledge the response you got, even shallowly. If I had known, I'd have alerted you to the fact that so many in Japan smoke and wear watches around smokers that it may not be worth your while looking around for pre-owned ones, despite their generally pristine condition. You won't like their liberal smoking in restaurants policies there either.
CRM114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 09:49 PM   #21
youthagainsttt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Piaget,Rolex,AP,HB
Very annoying, even when you buy preowned that must be pretty bad to have that as you open the box.

I'd just clean it and spray with some nice perfume to get rid of the smell. I don't think just airing it would be sufficient
youthagainsttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 09:53 PM   #22
Huliganchik
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 116503
Is it ss bracelet? I am just trying to imagine how much did that person smoked. What about the box? It had to be in his smoking room next to cigar box or something to that effect. I'm a smoker myself, which is why I have hard time understanding this. I'm with others that cigarette smoke couldn't harm the watch itself, but the fact that it's a gift definitly makes it difficult.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Huliganchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 10:10 PM   #23
Oceanlover914
"TRF" Member

Watch: None at the moment
I realize we are talking about a sealed watch. However, I also see OP original post question. So many times when people sell things today, it is often specified "from a smoke free home". Now I am no scientist but I guess excessive carcenegetic chemicals could penetrate watch seals. Or they could even cause yellowing of something supposed to be white. But I suspect the only thing that would truly happen is the box would smell bad. I would air it out and enjoy the watch.
Oceanlover914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 10:19 PM   #24
HKS724
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Not sure why you believe that cases that are sealed and WR pressure-tested just sit there and allow a few smoke particles floating in the air under ambient pressure drift in and out at will. I've unscrewed 100 year-old pocket watch casebacks that aren't even rated as Water Resistant and the movements are still gleaming and pristine and they lived through the 1930's Dust Bowl.

If a smoker's smoke particles messed-up Rolex movements after a mere few years, 1 million Rolex on wrists in Beijing would stop and need servicing after walking around outside for 1 average smoggy day.

Sorry to hear you're stricken with such an acute cigarette smoke sensitivity and allergy that you can sniff-test a watch. I say this because you never disclosed your sensitivity on the other thread you began, "Hunting for Rolex GMT in Land of Rising Sun" where you wanted to know places to shop for pre-worn watches in Tokyo/Osaka, etc but didn't bother to acknowledge the response you got, even shallowly. If I had known, I'd have alerted you to the fact that so many in Japan smoke and wear watches around smokers that it may not be worth your while looking around for pre-owned ones, despite their generally pristine condition. You won't like their liberal smoking in restaurants policies there either.
Thanks for replying. I was never lucky enough to have handled a 100-year old pocket watch. I suppose my question was more geared towards, that, since the watch is from a dealer, I do have the option of returning it, and if this, in any way, warrants it.

I haven't checked my thread about GMT's in Japan. I'll keep the Japanese' smoking habit in mind...? Yes, I do have a sensitivity to cigarette smoke when around it. And as others have mentioned, it's very off-putting when the smell is caked on clothing, accessories, etc. of mine. I feel quite sad that my question incited such animosity out of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youthagainsttt View Post
Very annoying, even when you buy preowned that must be pretty bad to have that as you open the box.

I'd just clean it and spray with some nice perfume to get rid of the smell. I don't think just airing it would be sufficient
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huliganchik View Post
Is it ss bracelet? I am just trying to imagine how much did that person smoked. What about the box? It had to be in his smoking room next to cigar box or something to that effect. I'm a smoker myself, which is why I have hard time understanding this. I'm with others that cigarette smoke couldn't harm the watch itself, but the fact that it's a gift definitly makes it difficult.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Thanks!

It is on a jubilee, I will definitely air out the box, and give the watch a light soap and water treatment.
Old 20 August 2017, 10:23 PM   #25
HKS724
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanlover914 View Post
I realize we are talking about a sealed watch. However, I also see OP original post question. So many times when people sell things today, it is often specified "from a smoke free home". Now I am no scientist but I guess excessive carcenegetic chemicals could penetrate watch seals. Or they could even cause yellowing of something supposed to be white. But I suspect the only thing that would truly happen is the box would smell bad. I would air it out and enjoy the watch.
Thanks for responding. This is exactly where I was coming from. Just didn't think it hurt to ask. I like to think that some members are going "Hm, good to know" to some of the thoughtful responses on this thread, albeit at my expense. Taking one for the team! And I'll be MUCH MORE judicious about my inquiries from now on!
Old 20 August 2017, 10:29 PM   #26
LitzDoc
"TRF" Member

I would spray a light mist of Febreze over the box. That will neutralize the tobacco odor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LitzDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 10:30 PM   #27
KBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzz View Post
It takes a very brave man to sniff a used watch!!
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 10:31 PM   #28
Maiden
"TRF" Member

Wow really?
Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 10:32 PM   #29
incontrol
"TRF" Member