The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 16 March 2018, 02:08 AM   #1
Jroe
"TRF" Member

Looking for first Panerai

Longtime Panerai admirer here. Have a handful of Rolex that I wear in rotation, but have been wanting to add a Panerai into the mix. Have some newbie questions:

Is there a "quintessential" PAM that one should consider? In Rolex speak AKA Submariner, if you catch my drift.

In my limited exposure to the models, I do seem to like the PAM 104. It has the date and seconds function which I find useful. Retail is $7k, I see pre-owned go for the $4k range. How much should one expect to get one from an AD for? Is there a standard discount people are receiving on a new one?

Anything to consider on new vs. pre-owned models (updated movements/features/etc.)?

Thanks guys!
Jroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2018, 02:14 AM   #2
flyunder
"TRF" Member

I would suggest as a first Pam a hand wound movement, sandwich dial, no second hand nor date. If you can source a Pam 560 q series from 2014 jump on it. New in house movement 8 days power reserve. The price from a trusted seller here should be around 4500$ in mint condition.
Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
flyunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2018, 08:07 AM   #3
Michigan_State
"TRF" Member

Same thing here, Jroe. I am considering 000, 005, 111, or 560. All interesting options, I think.
Old 16 March 2018, 11:17 AM   #4
Xichan
"TRF" Member

If you like the Radiomir and have a smaller wrist, PAM 210 cannot be beaten. If you have a large wrist, PAM 232. Don’t let anyone tell you that you must have a Luminor.
Xichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2018, 02:18 PM   #5
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Watch: panerai
what have you tried on? search the forum many, many threads about this.

372 if you can pull it off or a 000, 005, 112 if you can't.

good luck in your quest

chgo_risti on IG
fullcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2018, 03:52 PM   #6
Joearch
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
I had a bunch of Panerai before my Rolex collection was established. I am now down to the ones below. The 233 (on the left) is a great watch. Preowned can be had for $7500 or so. Special watch for the Panerai crowd. The one on the right is a 005. A true classic. Luminor case, no date, real sharp. Will retain value well, preowned can be had at $4000 or maybe a bit less. Can’t go wrong. Changing straps will greatly alter look and feel of the watch. Middle one is a new special edition. Beautiful dark green dial. Hard to get one if these. 44 mm Luminor case is a perfect way to start with Panerai. DSW is very solid Panerai source.
I am starting to like the Panerai again. Best of luck.
Joearch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2018, 02:53 PM   #7
Uppersouth
"TRF" Member

Watch: SWISS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joearch View Post
I had a bunch of Panerai before my Rolex collection was established. I am now down to the ones below. The 233 (on the left) is a great watch. Preowned can be had for $7500 or so. Special watch for the Panerai crowd. The one on the right is a 005. A true classic. Luminor case, no date, real sharp. Will retain value well, preowned can be had at $4000 or maybe a bit less. Can’t go wrong. Changing straps will greatly alter look and feel of the watch. Middle one is a new special edition. Beautiful dark green dial. Hard to get one if these. 44 mm Luminor case is a perfect way to start with Panerai. DSW is very solid Panerai source.
I am starting to like the Panerai again. Best of luck.

Love that green 911!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
-ROBERT FROST
Uppersouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 10:17 AM   #8
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Most here will tell you to go for a Base model as your first, and quintessential, Panerai. As a voice of dissent, I’d say go 233. A Pamerai icon and all the PAM, and arguably all the watch, you’ll ever need.

Like anything though, you have to get what sings to you so take your time, do your research and try on as many as you can. Oh, and be warmed about the on coming strap-frenzy. It’s addicitive.

Good luck.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2018, 12:54 PM   #9
Preeble
"TRF" Member

Above all else, I believe one’s first PAM should be a 44mm Luminor. IMO, one of the most underrated models is the 390. You will have to find one in the pre-owned market, but they aren’t impossible to find (it is also an SE, which is a plus).

I do like the idea of the 233, but you may get the itch at some point to get a base or marina (seconds) model.

Most of all, go with what you like the best - don’t convince yourself to buy a 005 for example because everyone else says so!
Preeble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2018, 08:34 PM   #10
rebel_1
"TRF" Member

My only PAM is a 512. I prefer the 1940 Radiomir to all others. I’ve owned the 112, 233 & 351 as well. PAMs are great watches. They seemed to have lost a lot of value in the last few years. Now I think they are a bargain.

I’d break it down to size, sandwich or sausage dial, date or no date, big, small or no seconds, Rad or Marina.
Old 21 March 2018, 08:36 PM   #11
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona - BLACK
I would have to say the 233.
Old 21 March 2018, 10:51 PM   #12
mg18
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
I think a quintessential panerai would be the 422. However, I find 47mm a bit too big. I would also stick to the 44mm (or 42 if your wrist can't handle the 44). For a good entry, i'd be looking at 000, 005, 112, 111, 510. I chose the 111, i just like the sub seconds and sandwich.

Goodluck.
mg18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 07:12 AM   #13
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preeble View Post
Above all else, I believe one’s first PAM should be a 44mm Luminor. IMO, one of the most underrated models is the 390. You will have to find one in the pre-owned market, but they aren’t impossible to find (it is also an SE, which is a plus).

I do like the idea of the 233, but you may get the itch at some point to get a base or marina (seconds) model.

Most of all, go with what you like the best - don’t convince yourself to buy a 005 for example because everyone else says so!
Great advice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 7179D602-D6DC-4C9E-AEB7-544DC8FF8FAE.jpeg (190.9 KB, 393 views)
Old 22 March 2018, 09:28 PM   #14
sgmgolf
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600,16710,Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel_1 View Post
My only PAM is a 512. I prefer the 1940 Radiomir to all others. I’ve owned the 112, 233 & 351 as well. PAMs are great watches. They seemed to have lost a lot of value in the last few years. Now I think they are a bargain.

I’d break it down to size, sandwich or sausage dial, date or no date, big, small or no seconds, Rad or Marina.

Great info. and advise from rebel_1.....that was my checklist as I recently purchased a PAM 512 after owning and selling off 024 and 164 many years ago.
Enjoy the journey and decision making process.
sgmgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 02:36 AM   #15
chloebear
Banned

Watch: Explorer
I am in the same boat as the OP. I have a few Rolexes and an Omega. I am feeling the pull to Panerai big time. I've been looking at them hard for a couple of months and saw them in person when I was recently in Las Vegas, but it's really hard to know which way to go. Seems per the original question that there is no one quintessential Panerai. My biggest concern is going up to a 44mm. That number just sounds large, but maybe because I'm used to Rolexes which tend to wear large relative to their size. I like that the 44's come with the extra rubber strap so right off the bat you get two totally different looks (leather and rubber).

I'm doing my research and trying to learn about them. Funny how a couple of years ago I thought all Panerai's looked the same. The more I dig into it, there are pretty significant differences. The good thing for me is the hunt and research is half the fun.
chloebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2018, 09:54 PM   #16
GK-
"TRF" Member

I would go with the 233. I’m in the market for one myself which will be my first PAM as well.

GK- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2018, 06:00 AM   #17
slayers
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15202st 116610ln
All 1950 luminors fit so big - even on my 7 3/4 inch wrist. I suppose that is the intended style.

Really am bummed about the new luminors, why did they get rid of the 300m water resistance? Seems like the new base has got everything except that. Now its between a 0 or 112 for my first :(
slayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2018, 12:14 PM   #18
dualcarb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lover
I’m with the rest of the camp...go for the 233 as it has all of the DNA traits of what makes a Panerai a Panerai...
dualcarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2018, 01:32 PM   #19
Auto16610
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexOmegaPanerai
The 104

Don't give up on the 104 to soon. The purists always say go manual. But I have owned several manuals an they can be a pain to wind constantly. The 104 is a pleasure to wear and looks great. The wobble is cool also. Feels alive. Try one on at an AD. They seem to be in stock a lot. Good luck!
Auto16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2018, 03:08 PM   #20
Statos
"TRF" Member

I did a lot of research before I bought my first Pam. Looked at hundreds of pictures over and over because there is no AD in my area. I did not listen to what most people say about getting a base Pam first. I went with what I liked and I am glad I waited for the newer models to come out.
I wanted a Pam24 but ended up with the 1024 because of the thinner case and the price was so close from used to new I felt stupid buying one used. Then I saw the 1312 and bought one of those preowned. Then they came out with the 911 my first manual wind and a really cool watch in hand. Now I am looking at the Pam's with blue dials and I don't know why. I also bought a couple of different straps. Wow after writing this I see how sick I have become but I love every second of it.

One of the other things I love about Panerai is that they fly under the radar. No one in my circle of friends knows what a Panerai watch is or even notices it on my wrist.

I hope this does not scare you off.
Statos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2018, 07:40 AM   #21
2mgversed
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LN/PAM560
Thinking about getting a 560 or a submersible? Different watches but I dig them both.

2mgversed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2018, 11:01 AM   #22
sedatesix
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pam Zero
Depends what you want. I love the base models, as do many Risti. The tripple zero, 111, 372, and 233 will hold their value well. I would not buy many of their newer 4 digit references as I don't consider them real Panerai. They're great watches, I've been wearing them for 10 years. You won't be disappointed. Be careful of the strap addiction, you'll get it.
sedatesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2018, 12:54 PM   #23
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek/Rolex/GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jroe View Post
Longtime Panerai admirer here. Have a handful of Rolex that I wear in rotation, but have been wanting to add a Panerai into the mix. Have some newbie questions:

Is there a "quintessential" PAM that one should consider? In Rolex speak AKA Submariner, if you catch my drift.

In my limited exposure to the models, I do seem to like the PAM 104. It has the date and seconds function which I find useful. Retail is $7k, I see pre-owned go for the $4k range. How much should one expect to get one from an AD for? Is there a standard discount people are receiving on a new one?

Anything to consider on new vs. pre-owned models (updated movements/features/etc.)?

Thanks guys!
I spent months researching after I was bitten by the Panerai bug in 2016.

I ended getting the 1312 and have ZERO regrets. I also bought the 564, which I later sold to my friend's husband after only 6 months.

I think a 1950's case, with a sandwich dial is the way to go, no matter which model you choose.
I think if you have the wrist size to pull it off (anything bigger than 7"), you should strongly consider the 372.
bruinmd is offline   Reply With Quote