The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 1 March 2018, 11:54 AM   #61
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Well I guess the artists I listen to are hip enough for the brand
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2018, 11:57 AM   #62
DeeTee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Netflix
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
AP and RM linking up with rappers is a possibility, Patek doing so is not unless it was to push the PCCs and PCs that sit for months, the last thing they need is more pushing of the sports SS which is what 99% of their followers will buy, just like the rest of the world. If there wasn't a huge uptick in Rolex and AP sales and prices I would deduce you have a point, but they are just part of this global wave where many various factors all feed on each other and drive hype higher.
He has been wearing PC’s now. There is an uptick in chrono and AC sales lately at my local AD’s since new customers are coming in curious about the brand.
DeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2018, 12:53 PM   #63
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

It’s funny hearing people talk down on hip hop, and I say that as someone who played classical piano all over the world as a child. These guys are talented. And influential. And trend/style setters, including with Patek.
Marciano490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2018, 12:55 PM   #64
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeTee View Post
He has been wearing PC’s now. There is an uptick in chrono and AC sales lately at my local AD’s since new customers are coming in curious about the brand.
Yup, this is where they could really make a mark, all the other watches were the usuals and already in play.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2018, 12:57 PM   #65
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marciano490 View Post
It’s funny hearing people talk down on hip hop, and I say that as someone who played classical piano all over the world as a child. These guys are talented. And influential. And trend/style setters, including with Patek.
If Pac were alive, and he always will be, and was wearing a Nautilus it would overtake the Subc no doubt... Unless Biggie was wearing a Jumbo... no pun intended...
Old 1 March 2018, 01:03 PM   #66
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
If Pac were alive, and he always will be, and was wearing a Nautilus it would overtake the Subc no doubt.
Heh...now that would be what I consider hip hop. Huge hip hop fan actually growing up and maybe some of that others are right...generation gap thing...but I certainly don't approve of the messages these songs are slinging now....that's if you can find a song with a messages outside a chorus/repeating three lines in entirety about bling, sex, drugs, or wannabe gangster violence. To each their own though, Migos or no Migos.
sensui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2018, 01:06 PM   #67
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
Heh...now that would be what I consider hip hop. Huge hip hop fan actually growing up and maybe some of that others are right...generation gap thing...but I certainly don't approve of the messages these songs are slinging now....that's if you can find a song with a messages outside a chorus/repeating three lines in entirety about bling, sex, drugs, or wannabe gangster violence. To each their own though, Migos or no Migos.
They were the golden days, and I'm listening to Hit Em Up right now, but pretty sad to listen to them dropping Biggie Smalls after what happened to them both soon after.
Old 1 March 2018, 01:32 PM   #68
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

I love that the Patek forum is talking rap. Nice thread D. Almost as good as the toothpaste 1
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2018, 01:42 PM   #69
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
Quote:
What else are we supposed to complain about as we get old? But seriously I think you are spot on and these guys are really talented. I also agree that it is a huge reason for the jump in demand and pricing.
vipereaper30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2018, 03:06 PM   #70
lovetherolex
Banned

Icon12

Quote:
I wasn’t comparing. What I mentioned is he is sponsored by them (LVMH,Nike) which is the highest caliber endorsement.

There are different groups of people on this forum, who come from different backgrounds and lifestyles. Remember when your parents gave you crap about rock and roll, this is the same situation. Just because you don’t understand it doesn’t mean you have to knock it. These are people who are getting Grammys, attending Met Gala, getting cover of GQ.
I think the music has it’s place and I personally listen to it, but you’re kind of obsessed, and approaching proselytization here. Not sure what you’re after.

Do you have a personal or vested interest in Patek being claimed by and aligned with hip hop? It seems to be reallllly important to you.
lovetherolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2018, 04:05 PM   #71
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
I can’t speak on migos because I haven’t seen them live but the thread was talking about future as well. I’ve had to see that clown live twice because he opened for drake on at least two tours and he is terrible live.

Hi DJ did more yelling than him and I say yelling because that’s about all they did. I could have performed his set after a case of beer. Sounded like a concert you’d see at a community college. This was a stadium world tour with drake!

I’ve been a hip hop junkie for 20 years and have seen pretty much everybody live from the late 90s on. I’ll admit the current artist I like are few and far between. Drake, J cole, Kendrick and a few others. Most days I listen to mid 90s stuff and pretend I’m young again!
Old 1 March 2018, 04:15 PM   #72
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I can’t speak on migos because I haven’t seen them live but the thread was talking about future as well. I’ve had to see that clown live twice because he opened for drake on at least two tours and he is terrible live.

Hi DJ did more yelling than him and I say yelling because that’s about all they did. I could have performed his set after a case of beer. Sounded like a concert you’d see at a community college. This was a stadium world tour with drake!

I’ve been a hip hop junkie for 20 years and have seen pretty much everybody live from the late 90s on. I’ll admit the current artist I like are few and far between. Drake, J cole, Kendrick and a few others. Most days I listen to mid 90s stuff and pretend I’m young again!
Fair enough. I’d put Future way over Drake, but I give you a ton of credit for bringing up J. Cole. He’s one of the best and most slept on of them all.

As for the poster who talked about messages in today’s hip hop, it really hasn’t changed that much. Biggie was rapping about bling as was Tupac and they all had violence in their songs too. I agree there aren’t as many great storytellers like a prime Nas or Slick Rick right now though.
Old 1 March 2018, 04:43 PM   #73
DeeTee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Netflix
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetherolex View Post
I think the music has it’s place and I personally listen to it, but you’re kind of obsessed, and approaching proselytization here. Not sure what you’re after.

Do you have a personal or vested interest in Patek being claimed by and aligned with hip hop? It seems to be reallllly important to you.
I had to google proselytization
Also I have no vested interest. I wish they quit rapping about it so I could get a steel 5980 for 35-40k like it was a year ago.

There is multiple posts a day for the past six months wondering why it’s so hard to get any bracelet Nautilus. I’m just letting people know why since there are some older folks and people from different countries who don’t know what’s going on with pop culture.

I’m not one to purposely stir the pot, but I do like to express my opinion.

Once again thank you for teaching me a new word. Definitely have to save it next time I play scrabble!
DeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2018, 04:53 PM   #74
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I had to google proselytization
Also I have no vested interest. I wish they quit rapping about it so I could get a steel 5980 for 35-40k like it was a year ago.

There is multiple posts a day for the past six months wondering why it’s so hard to get any bracelet Nautilus. I’m just letting people know why since there are some older folks and people from different countries who don’t know what’s going on with pop culture.

I’m not one to purposely stir the pot, but I do like to express my opinion.

Once again thank you for teaching me a new word. Definitely have to save it next time I play scrabble!
ive said it before, but check out CRM youtube videos... That Eric guy says the same thing. Nautilus references are harder to get than they otherwise would be because so many are going to aftermarket diamond guys.

You are right, and there is a lot of evidence that patek is becoming more pop culture popular, and more are getting modified which shrinks the secondary market of factory correct examples. Like it or not it is a factor.

Its more amplified in a brand that doesnt make a lot of watches to begin with. Small shifts can have big effects.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2018, 05:24 PM   #75
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

I think you may be right. Everybody in hip hop is wearing Patek right now.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2018, 05:39 PM   #76
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
I think you may be right. Everybody in hip hop is wearing Patek right now.
Even the female rappers like Cardi B. have 5980s.
Old 1 March 2018, 07:54 PM   #77
Murcielagoboy2
"TRF" Member

The world has gone Nautilus-mad because it's the most showy, overtly-recognisable offering from worlds premier watch brand. And showing off is all-important.

If you want others to know you're wearing a Patek, what do you buy? A 3939 for $800,000?
No. You buy a Nautilus for $35k. And if you're a rapper you cover it in Diamonds.

It's a sign of the times. Great article in the Economist on social media last year which had a wonderful quote I've recorded:

"the new opportunity to share with the world means that people have become much more active solicitors of attention"

So if you want to solicit attention, do you buy yet another solid gold submariner like everyone else on Instacrap or do you buy a Calatrava (which "wont get no luv") or better yet, how about a NAUGHTEELESS?
Murcielagoboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2018, 07:57 PM   #78
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murcielagoboy2 View Post
The world has gone Nautilus-mad because it's the most showy, overtly-recognisable offering from worlds premier watch brand. And showing off is all-important.

If you want others to know you're wearing a Patek, what do you buy? A 3939 for $800,000?
No. You buy a Nautilus for $35k. And if you're a rapper you cover it in Diamonds.

It's a sign of the times. Great article in the Economist on social media last year which had a wonderful quote I've recorded:

"the new opportunity to share with the world means that people have become much more active solicitors of attention"

So if you want to solicit attention, do you buy yet another solid gold submariner like everyone else on Instacrap or do you buy a Calatrava (which "wont get no luv") or better yet, how about a NAUGHTEELESS?
I disagree. I bought my 5990 in large part because it was more low key than my 44mm offshores. It flies under that radar in a way my AP's never did. Sure its "showy" to people who know, but that is hardly anyone. I avoid wearing my Rolex a lot of times because everyone knows what a rolex is. If i want to look less flashy i will wear my 5990 or 5712 over a GMT every time.

iced out, then maybe, but in general i dont find the nautilus to be very loud.
Old 1 March 2018, 08:00 PM   #79
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murcielagoboy2 View Post

Again, I would suggest it simply doesn't work. No one has ever recognised my 5711 as anything other than a normal watch - which is exactly what it is. So much hype and nonsense on social media.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2018, 09:42 PM   #80
soundserious
"TRF" Member

I am absolutely kicking myself for passing on a white 5711 from AD 18 months ago, ugh!
Old 1 March 2018, 10:00 PM   #81
kingofthehill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
I disagree. I bought my 5990 in large part because it was more low key than my 44mm offshores. It flies under that radar in a way my AP's never did. Sure its "showy" to people who know, but that is hardly anyone. I avoid wearing my Rolex a lot of times because everyone knows what a rolex is. If i want to look less flashy i will wear my 5990 or 5712 over a GMT every time.

Whilst it is entirely dependent on how the watch fits one's wrist and, to some extent, how the wearer carries the piece, I struggle to support the view of the 5990/1A as an understated piece. Whilst this is certainly the case relative to 44mm Royal Oak Offshore pieces, the 5990/1A is a large and thick watch - it is not a discrete item. The 5712/1A is certainly something that I think can pass for discrete on the other hand...but I am struggling a little bit with the new price and relative value proposition (to the also thicker) 5726/1A.

Everything is relative however; in a world where the norm are relatively chunky watches, I guess that personal taste is a large swing factor here though.
kingofthehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2018, 10:05 PM   #82
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofthehill View Post
Whilst it is entirely dependent on how the watch fits one's wrist and, to some extent, how the wearer carries the piece, I struggle to support the view of the 5990/1A as an understated piece. Whilst this is certainly the case relative to 44mm Royal Oak Offshore pieces, the 5990/1A is a large and thick watch - it is not a discrete item. The 5712/1A is certainly something that I think can pass for discrete on the other hand...but I am struggling a little bit with the new price and relative value proposition (to the also thicker) 5726/1A.

Everything is relative however; in a world where the norm are relatively chunky watches, I guess that personal taste is a large swing factor here though.
just saying there are better options in the loud watch department than a Patek. Size and brand awareness are both factors. The only watch anyone ever said anything about is my AP's since they are very noticeable and my Rolex because everyone knows what a Rolex is.

When i go home to Montana (not a super trend setting or particularly affluent state), i don't wear my Rolex. People think i am showing off the one time i did (including family members). I wear my Pateks and no one says a word. I don't really care what people think but when catching up with High School friends i haven't seen for years, the Rolex in particular just seems to be a bit too much.

At 6'5 the 5990 is quite understated on the wrist, on me at least.
Old 1 March 2018, 10:06 PM   #83
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Again, I would suggest it simply doesn't work. No one has ever recognised my 5711 as anything other than a normal watch - which is exactly what it is. So much hype and nonsense on social media.
Noone ever commented any of my Pateks ,Rolex yes but for Nautilus someone should "grow up" to appreciate it .

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2018, 10:44 PM   #84
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Size don't matter on the internet, everything can look big, so Nauts can replace ROOs and Breitlings no problem. Patek is the next step for the rapper show offs after AP and Rolex and soon they will be onto the Independents if the global economy holds, no one will be immune. We've talked before about how SM and showing off has become this huge phenomenon that has overtaken the world, and that's what most SM is now about, even mothers show off their new tattoos and crave as many likes as possible. Even Zuckerberg never imagined the world would turn out like this, and apart from this forum I am off the grid.
Old 1 March 2018, 11:04 PM   #85
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

I'd just add the UK is leading the price action on all hyped watches and has been setting the market for a year now and Future etc have not crossed over here so rappers are not contributing to the hype here so their influence I'd say is still minimal compared to the other factors.
Old 1 March 2018, 11:23 PM   #86
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Good news for gangSTARS as Patek Philippe did advertise on the Sopranos (product placement). Of course Tony wore a Rolex DD and gave away the Patek.

There's no such thing as bad press. Rejoice as the rapper community is ensuring Patek has sales / customers of a (generally) younger generation than their average customer base. Gotta bring in new blood and all that, lest ye be caught with an aging customer base that eventually, well, 'falls off the map'.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2018, 11:29 PM   #87
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Loving this thread! Think of McQueen and his Sub, this is the same thing for this generation.
Old 1 March 2018, 11:35 PM   #88
onmyhand
"TRF" Member

Watch: patek
This is why I bought the 5711.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
onmyhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2018, 11:38 PM   #89
ezinhk
"TRF" Member

So glad I got my Nautilus years ago...and it isn’t even a bling watch. Back in the days, I got more attention wearing Panerai, Rolex and IWC.
ezinhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2018, 11:56 PM   #90
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
When I get ready to leave in the morning and select a timepiece I always think, what does this choice today say about me? My Nautilus is a symbol of overcoming my struggle.

Escaping the mean streets of a predominantly middle class white collar neighborhood to hit the big time of a predominantly upper middle class/lower upper class white collar neighborhood.

Growing up my family didn't even have a luxury sports car. My neighbor did, but we didn't. One time when my parents were paying for my college I had to eat at $0.29 cent taco day at Del Taco due to being low on funds.

Well no more. When I snap the deployant on my 5712 all of that gets erased.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote