The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 18 October 2021, 11:54 PM   #1
stevestil
"TRF" Member

tough decision here.. need some advice please =)

Hello All,

First post in the forum. Great to be here!

so long story short- I'm in a bit of a pickle here. I own a few Rolex's and one Speedmaster currently. the speedmaster i have was given to me as a gift, it is a leather strap model. I have a stainless steel Submariner which i do love and think it is a brilliant watch and a classic however the watch itself doesnt do much for me. If anything, im falling into the trap of the fact that stainless steel submariners are extremely hard to get at the moment (for a normal price) which is adding a bit more appeal to the watch for me, which isnt exactly what im going for. i also have a two tone submariner which is a watch that is very special to me which is scratching my itch for a submariner.

there is an Omega Speedmaster moonphase which i am absolutely in love with and have been for a few years.

Question: do i sell the submariner to fund the new omega? i know everyone i speak to especially right now the way the market is will tell me absolutely do not get rid of the submariner. seeing as a lot of people in here are also omega owners along with rolex- any help would be appreciated.

i am also considering selling my speedmaster for the new speedmaster although i wont really get much on the secondary market for my speedmaster.
stevestil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2021, 01:58 AM   #2
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Welcome to the Forum. Nice situation to be in and you have some very nice watches. Like most things in life the devil is in the details. Which Moonphase Speedmaster do you want?
New or slightly pre-owned? What are the details on your SS and TT Submariner and what are the stated values? Once you have presented this information it will be easier to advise you. With the information provided, I would sit tight at least until the holidays as we typically see a surge in values on pre-owned Rolex watches. The Omega, not so much so you maybe in a good situation for a move. Get the specifics and share them with us. Good luck.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2021, 12:50 PM   #3
wcs2229
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Omega, Tag
My adult son had been longing for an Omega Speedy Moonphase SS black dial/SS bracelet model for 2+ years and I ended up buying one for his birthday 2 years ago. It's a really sweet watch and, if I was to buy one for myself, I would go for a full gold model.

I put the Omega Speedy on par with the Rolex Daytona, but without the hype, price and scarcity of Rolex. You would probably not wear your current Speedy after buying a Moonphase, so why not sell it (even though it was a gift)?

If your SS Submariner doesn't do much for you, you can sell it at the same time to buy a Moonphase TT or full gold.
wcs2229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2021, 01:09 PM   #4
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
I wouldn't sell a sub for an Omega.
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2021, 02:06 PM   #5
jed11
"TRF" Member

All four of the watches you mentioned are quite different to a degree but i think that you'd get more variety if you sold your current speedy for the moonphase speedy. The SS sub and the TT are more different than say the Speedy and moonphase speedy...in my opinion of course. Sure, you'd get more value towards the moonphase with the sale of the sub but if the ultimate plan is to keep 3, it would be the moonphase, SS sub and TT sub for me.
jed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2021, 06:50 PM   #6
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
I wouldn’t sell my Submariner full stop! But I really like mine and don’t view it for its financial worth.

If you really like something else and would get more pleasure from something else go for it.
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2021, 08:51 AM   #7
bonovox
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your time
I wouldn't keep the sub IF you are only concerned about it's value or future value. It is a very common watch, regardless of what's going on with Rolex today. This value that's appealing to you is temporary. If that's all that's holding you back, definitely sell it. If it's an affinity for the watch, the brand, the style, keep it, but it doesn't sound to me like it is.
bonovox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2021, 03:57 PM   #8
Becweb
Banned

I would save a bit and buy the Omega - don't sell a Rolex except if you really need the money.
Becweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2021, 04:32 PM   #9
shalako
"TRF" Member

Why wouldn’t you sell the Submariner, the whole world and his wife already owns one, they are not rare - just lots of daft folk overpaying for them, the Speedmaster Moonphase is a superb watch and you will have a lot of money left over.
shalako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2021, 11:35 PM   #10
stevestil
"TRF" Member

thank you all so much for the replies. i just saw them as i was unaware of how to navigate the forum properly and was wondering why nobody replied, LOL.

If i am being 100% honest, i don't love the Submariner as much as i should since i spent my money on it, nor do i care what is currently happening with Rolex. I personally think the situation is insane and really makes it difficult for watch lovers like us to enjoy our hobby/toys but it is what it is. the thing keeping me to the sub at the moment is the watch itself and the fact that it is an iconic timepiece and one that may be difficult to part with as i am unsure if i would be on the hunt for one again down the line.

i think a good course of action here would be to sell my current speedy and put in the difference.

sorry for my lack of pictures, still trying to navigate the forum and learn to post pics that are the right size.. i know all threads are better with pics. lol
Old 20 October 2021, 11:47 PM   #11
stevestil
"TRF" Member

thank you all for your replies! they are definitely helpful. im sorry for the lack of pictures. im navigating the forum and i know all threads are better with pics but need to find out how to post pics in the right size lol

i think what i am going to do is keep the submariner for now. I dont LOVE the watch, however as someone who loves watches i do think it is an iconic timepiece and one that i can have forever and hopefully pass down to my children one day. i personally do not care what is happening with Rolex in todays market. i think it is insane but to each their own! the most logical thing to do is to sell my speedy and put in the difference.

thanks so much everyone for your input!
Old 20 October 2021, 11:56 PM   #12
Moka-Tiger
"TRF" Member

Watch: The 1 on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestil View Post
thank you all for your replies! they are definitely helpful. im sorry for the lack of pictures. im navigating the forum and i know all threads are better with pics but need to find out how to post pics in the right size lol

i think what i am going to do is keep the submariner for now. I dont LOVE the watch, however as someone who loves watches i do think it is an iconic timepiece and one that i can have forever and hopefully pass down to my children one day. i personally do not care what is happening with Rolex in todays market. i think it is insane but to each their own! the most logical thing to do is to sell my speedy and put in the difference.

Sounds like you are making a hard, but right decision.
Moka-Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 07:01 AM   #13
wcs2229
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Omega, Tag
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestil View Post

It sounds like you have thought about it thoroughly and arrived at the best decision for your personal circumstances. The Speedy Moonphase comes in different colors, materials and straps, so I suggest going over them carefully and buy the model that you will LOVE.

You can still sell the Sub later if you change your mind down the road.

Please post incoming with photos after you get the Moonphase!

wcs2229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 09:17 AM   #14
stevestil
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcs2229 View Post
It sounds like you have thought about it thoroughly and arrived at the best decision for your personal circumstances. The Speedy Moonphase comes in different colors, materials and straps, so I suggest going over them carefully and buy the model that you will LOVE.

You can still sell the Sub later if you change your mind down the road.

Please post incoming with photos after you get the Moonphase!

I think this is the best decision as well. Once I get the moonphase, you will get tired of seeing pics! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk