The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 23 October 2021, 12:34 AM   #1
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Questions on 1st Patek

Hey all. Been collecting for 12 years or so and my next venture I think will be into Patek. There are two models that are calling to me: 5212A and the 5524G.
A. 5212A is my first choice. Reached out to many ADs. Seems like it’ll be difficult to score. I won’t go grey and am willing to wait. Anyone ever seen one in a case? My city doesn’t have Patek so it’s reach out by phone and hope you come across genuine. Hopeless and move on to #2? Possible with a wait? Just curious what those of you with good relationships with your AD have to say.
B. Is it Still possible for a discount on a 5524G? It is going grey but I would much rather start a buying history with an AD. Curious what the market is there. When I reached out to ADs I didn’t mention my desire for this piece as I knew I would get “buy that first and than we’ll think about maybe possibly selling you a 5212”

That’s it. Thanks guys.

Last edited by Locust; 23 October 2021 at 12:36 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 12:38 AM   #2
vandyologist
2024 Pledge Member

1) No they’re not in the case and it’s a pretty low production watch. My AD gets two per year. I’ve been allocated one for next year and I’m a very good customer. Demand isn’t super high but would doubt that you could get one as a first purchase.

2) Discounts are getting tougher and I haven’t seen one these in a case in a while either. 5524g is a great piece and would be a great one to buy at an AD.
vandyologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 12:42 AM   #3
Locust
"TRF" Member

Cool. Thanks for the info. That helps me going forward.
Old 23 October 2021, 12:57 AM   #4
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
5212a is almost impossible to get without a good spending history at your AD.

The 5524G is sometimes available at the AD, but I doubt AD is offering any discount on it. Maybe different locations have different pricing structure still.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 01:58 AM   #5
ts3
"TRF" Member

My AD had a 7234G and I believe to remember also a 5524 (not sure which metal) in the window last month. Those are definitely not hard to get. In fact, there were lots of Calatravas and Complications plus a 5327G and a 5270 (again don't remember which). Needless to say no sports watches and no 5212A.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 03:14 AM   #6
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

At the moment, anyone without a history of Patek purchases will be hard pressed getting a SS Patek from an AD. It is like trying to get a SS Rolex from a Rolex AD without a purchase history. There are even less number of Patek ADs compared to Rolex ADs, so the supply is more limited.

Also you have to look at secondary market
If a watch is selling for higher than retail on the secondary market, a flood of resellers/flippers/etc are going to be looking for the watch. Naturally an AD has to vet who is a watch person who will keep the watch and enjoy it vs someone who is going to flip it for a profit.

I would take things slow and try on as many watches at ADs or resellers. If you live far away from an AD, it is more difficult. Many ADs don't have much in stock anyway. But there is hardly a need to rush in when it comes to watch collecting.

As for the 5524G, have you tried it on your wrist? I would try a watch on before you spend $50k+ on a watch. It may be too large in your wrist or you may not like other features when you see one in person. The 5524G has been around for a while, so not as much demand as other watches.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 04:25 AM   #7
Locust
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
At the moment, anyone without a history of Patek purchases will be hard pressed getting a SS Patek from an AD. It is like trying to get a SS Rolex from a Rolex AD without a purchase history. There are even less number of Patek ADs compared to Rolex ADs, so the supply is more limited.

Also you have to look at secondary market
If a watch is selling for higher than retail on the secondary market, a flood of resellers/flippers/etc are going to be looking for the watch. Naturally an AD has to vet who is a watch person who will keep the watch and enjoy it vs someone who is going to flip it for a profit.

I would take things slow and try on as many watches at ADs or resellers. If you live far away from an AD, it is more difficult. Many ADs don't have much in stock anyway. But there is hardly a need to rush in when it comes to watch collecting.

As for the 5524G, have you tried it on your wrist? I would try a watch on before you spend $50k+ on a watch. It may be too large in your wrist or you may not like other features when you see one in person. The 5524G has been around for a while, so not as much demand as other watches.
Yeah I tried on a 5524R. Closest AD is 4-5 hours away so it makes it tough
Old 24 October 2021, 07:11 PM   #8
Becweb
Banned

I got quoted 58000 USD including taxes for the 5524r in two different countries. Not much discount on them either. I was quoted 43000 USD in one of these 2 stores 1 year ago - crazy.
Becweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2021, 10:37 PM   #9
simonthepilot
"TRF" Member

Sorry for hijacking your thread but throwing in my own little "is it difficult to buy question". I would love to buy the 5196G-010 (Aquanaut Jumbo in WG and in khaki green). Would anyone have an idea about this?

Thank you!
Old 24 October 2021, 11:21 PM   #10
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonthepilot View Post
Sorry for hijacking your thread but throwing in my own little "is it difficult to buy question". I would love to buy the 5196G-010 (Aquanaut Jumbo in WG and in khaki green). Would anyone have an idea about this?

Thank you!
I think you are referring to 5168G-010 for the green Aquanaut?
Old 25 October 2021, 12:44 AM   #11
simonthepilot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
I think you are referring to 5168G-010 for the green Aquanaut?
Oh yes! You’re right! Sorry…
Old 25 October 2021, 12:44 AM   #12
llngoc
"TRF" Member

As many have mentioned, the 5212a is probably impossible. And getting discount will be hard even for 5524g unless it’s been sitting on the shelf for a long time. But that’s also unlikely as a lot of people are buying unwanted pieces to get to AD’s good side.

I recently tried to refer someone to my AD but was politely declined as he is too busy delivering to existing clients and also has nothing much to sell to a new client. ( you know who you are :-) That sounds crazy but it is the reality today.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2021, 12:51 AM   #13
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sorry to say that any Aquanaut is hard to get without good history with AD. PM may be slightly easier but this is comparing to steel. Steel is very hard even with purchase history. Even the new ladies’ Luce is hard to get now when PM with diamond ladies used to be “available”.

We live in a crazy world.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2021, 01:13 AM   #14
qrc36
"TRF" Member

Might not be of much help, but here's the situation in Hong Kong right now:

5524G - this piece is currently widely available in Hong Kong, at a standard discount of 10% off the list price (HK$386,200). Many ADs are having trouble selling this watch, and are displaying it in their windows and displays. The HK dollar is pegged to the US dollar. Right now there are quarantine requirements etc. which make it unlikely that a tourist will come into town to buy a watch ... but if you have any friends here they could easily get you the piece with no difficulty.

5212A - long waiting lists for this watch in HK, as others have said it's a low production piece.
qrc36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2021, 01:30 AM   #15
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

That green Aquanaut is very hard to get from AD without a significant spending. Grey pricing is also very high. I'm not sure what is a good advice tbh.
Old 25 October 2021, 04:01 AM   #16
Jmaster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qrc36 View Post
Might not be of much help, but here's the situation in Hong Kong right now:

5524G - this piece is currently widely available in Hong Kong, at a standard discount of 10% off the list price (HK$386,200). Many ADs are having trouble selling this watch, and are displaying it in their windows and displays. The HK dollar is pegged to the US dollar. Right now there are quarantine requirements etc. which make it unlikely that a tourist will come into town to buy a watch ... but if you have any friends here they could easily get you the piece with no difficulty.

5212A - long waiting lists for this watch in HK, as others have said it's a low production piece.
Interesting that the list price in HK is almost 8% below the MSRP in the US at $53,820, and with the 10% discount that’s a pretty big difference!
Old 25 October 2021, 11:07 AM   #17
QuelleHeureEstIl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by qrc36 View Post
Might not be of much help, but here's the situation in Hong Kong right now
What is your general impression about the current market? (Prices, demand, ...)?
QuelleHeureEstIl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2021, 12:10 PM   #18
Locust
"TRF" Member

I really appreciate everyone’s replies. Thanks so much!