The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 23 October 2021, 04:40 PM   #1
DonLee
"TRF" Member

refinishing an aquanaut, does anyone do this?

Being such a thin watch, is refinishing really out of the question?

It was a very sad day. Made a mark on my watch the other day, and it's quite noticeable. I know the saying, "if you wear a watch, you're going to scratch it". The sad part was, I had put a protection film on it, and i made sure the front satin finish part was the first and most important film to apply.

After knocking the watch on a door handle, while helping my wife carry her luggage, I noticed the mark. On closer inspection, I started to question, wait that doesn't look like there's a protection film on that particular part of the watch. In fact, it was the only place that was missing film.

Totally lost for words why the film was on it. Totally heart broken, and can't bare to wear the watch for the last week.

The thing about a big rolex watch is that a nick or scratch here and there isn't that noticeable. It's a big hunk of steel. The aquanaut being so thin and simplistic, the mark is so obvious.

The only remedy I can think of right now, is to get an even better watch to mask over this heart break.
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 05:35 PM   #2
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
What ever you are on I need it ten fold.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 06:13 PM   #3
herts9
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Whenever I dent my Camry, I want to go out and buy a Maserati
herts9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 06:33 PM   #4
yoast
"TRF" Member

wow
Old 23 October 2021, 06:35 PM   #5
ts3
"TRF" Member

Thinking hard about where I could bang my Nautilus against so I can get a better watch.

More seriously, if you think it was just one freak accident you could theoretically get it polished. Or you could take off the plastic and get it beat up. Patek sports watches look good mint and they look good beat up. The difficult part is the stage in between. Lastly, if I could not enjoy a watch w/o plastic I'd sell it.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 06:50 PM   #6
llngoc
"TRF" Member

This is the best excuse to get a new watch and keep getting one: “Honey, I just scratched my Aquanuat and I need a grand complication now”
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 08:35 PM   #7
jfriedkin
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, PP
If you are afraid to wear your watches and scratch them up, perhaps you need to leave the safe and protected in the box. I don't get why people are so obsessed about perfect watches. There is no life in a perfect watch. Live life and enjoy what few have the pleasure to experience.
jfriedkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 08:58 PM   #8
DonLee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
Thinking hard about where I could bang my Nautilus against so I can get a better watch.

More seriously, if you think it was just one freak accident you could theoretically get it polished. Or you could take off the plastic and get it beat up. Patek sports watches look good mint and they look good beat up. The difficult part is the stage in between. Lastly, if I could not enjoy a watch w/o plastic I'd sell it.
Thank you for actually writing something helpful and meaningful. The whole point, "about wanting a better watch" is me saying, "good luck with that, I'll never get over this."

Originally I didn't think I'd want to put protection over the whole watch, but I tried and see how it would look. Barely noticed it at all. And it donned on me that with the film on, I could wear it more daily and not worry about being so super careful. That's the whole point. With hindsight, I am so puzzled why the film was missing for that one surface. I feel so stupid to think that I had that false security....

perhaps in the end, this will either make me end up selling it, or just let it be and wear it normally and let it age.
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 09:14 PM   #9
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

It must be a very big mark/scratch, do you mind sharing pictures. You may find sharing pictures with the forum can help with rationalising these things, it may not be as bad as you think.
bonsai-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 10:10 PM   #10
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herts9 View Post
Sold the Ferrari because the Italian ashtray was full of cigars.

PS: This really did happen, as this one time (at band camp) i spilled milk in the Ferrari's trunk. True story!

i didn't cry. Also true.

--------------

As for the Aqua, i wore the living stuff out of it 24/7 and other than it being scratch-prone and less durable overall than other timepieces (and the lume falling out of the '1' at '10') she was ok. If you're truly afraid of scratches, as you went to so much trouble adding protection... perhaps a model with ceramic or carbon fiber case is your best bet. My Panerai 1118 has been a daily beater for some time and this one time i accidentally rubbed it kinda hard against our home's concrete and you can't even see a single scratch(!). Most impressive!

So yes, you seriously now must consider a timepiece with higher scratch resistance imho given your problems and concerns.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2021, 08:20 AM   #11
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonLee View Post
Thank you for actually writing something helpful and meaningful. The whole point, "about wanting a better watch" is me saying, "good luck with that, I'll never get over this."

Originally I didn't think I'd want to put protection over the whole watch, but I tried and see how it would look. Barely noticed it at all. And it donned on me that with the film on, I could wear it more daily and not worry about being so super careful. That's the whole point. With hindsight, I am so puzzled why the film was missing for that one surface. I feel so stupid to think that I had that false security....

perhaps in the end, this will either make me end up selling it, or just let it be and wear it normally and let it age.

Murthy’s Law

The first dent is always painful. After that you won’t even notice it. I was in bed reading when I dented my ROO (still trying to figure out how it happened) and now I don’t mind using it as a daily. But the first dent was painful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2021, 12:21 PM   #12
np2016
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek, AP,
It's a watch meant to be worn! Its gonna get scratched and dented just like my 5167a has that's life unless you keep it in a safe 24-7 365.
np2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2021, 04:49 AM   #13
Divingdeep87
"TRF" Member

I hate 2021.
Divingdeep87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2021, 05:04 AM   #14
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

It doesn’t matter what you wear, it’s getting scratched. I’ve had scratches within a few hours of removing stickers. You really have to get over it or you’re in for a miserable life of watch ownership. If you wear it often enough, they all blend in and start to look better.

These scratches are after maybe 2-3 days of wearing it. It’s just the way it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2021, 05:34 AM   #15
epicurus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herts9 View Post
HAHAHHAHA....Thats awesome
epicurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2021, 05:48 AM   #16
Rushne
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: White 116500LN
Alright. As strange as it may sound to many people. The guy is suffering and needs some support.

Yes. Just wear it and enjoy.
Yes don’t worry about it.

However. He has trouble not worrying about it.
You can of course get it refinished if it will give you peace of mind.

However. I would suggest holding off on that refinish request. Try just wearing it and wearing it, and if after a few weeks it’s still bothering you. Then refinish it or god forbid. Sell it.

I do think that after a week or two (possible a month haha). Some sleep to help clear the mind. I really believe that you’ll be alright with the blemish.

Then again if you are not. Fix it or sell it. No point stressing out for now. You have solutions. Just relax, take a breath and give it time to pick the solution that will make you happiest.

Omega: Seamaster Professional 300M 2220.80.00
Rolex: Daytona White Dial 116500LN
Rolex: Sky-Dweller Blue Dial Jubilee 336934
Rolex: DateJust 36 Roman White Dial Oyster 126234
Rolex: OP 36 Celebration Dial 126000
Panerai: PAM 422
Patek Philippe: Aquanaut 5167A
A. Lange & Söhne: 1815 Annual Calendar

@mechanicaltom Stolen: IWC Portuguese 500107 Case number 3853222
Rushne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2021, 06:37 AM   #17
RollinMoses
"TRF" Member

My question is why are you so worried about scratches that you feel the need to put a cover on it? Is it:

1) because of the current market price / difficultly to obtain at retail? Or
2) you feel the same worries about other nice watches that you wear and so you use these stickers on all watches?

If it is the former, then as much as I like the aquanaut, I would say worth just cashing out and getting something else that you love just as much (or a selection of watches), but without the feeling that each scratch costs serious money. If it is the later, then I think it is worth checking with your AD / boutique on what they can do and then see how you feel after that.

I also think time is a healer here. I remember my heart dropping when I noticed what seemed like a huge bite out of the lug on my first nice watch. Years later, I know it is a cliche, but I love that watch more than ever. It has so many small scratches I have no idea where they came from and the small nick on the lug is hardly noticeable.
RollinMoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2021, 12:58 PM   #18
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
I agree with the majority of the responses. There seems like there may be some real issues for the OP, perhaps OCD, that prevent him from blowing off scratches like most of us do. In that case, it would seem like wearing a watch that valuable simply is not going to work. So maybe get it refinished and then keep it as a safe queen and get something else as a daily wearer that won't elicit that response.
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2021, 10:55 PM   #19
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
If you think of it as an investment, just take the stickers off and put it in the safe. If not (and I don’t) l, I think you will regret each small mark and frequently have it refinished. Rather than that, I suggest selling it and buying a watch you will enjoy and not worry about.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2021, 11:17 PM   #20
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonLee View Post

perhaps in the end, this will either make me end up selling it
I think this is the best idea as you will never be happy.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 02:00 AM   #21
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
Sh.t happens, now wear the watch and go on with life.

If you want to polish it and make it look new again, then wait until next service you'll get more scratches and nicks in between anyways.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2021, 01:11 AM   #22
szabo_martin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,DS,YM42
Sell it, watches should be worn and enjoyed not a cause for anxiety
szabo_martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2021, 07:07 AM   #23
zewill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondoggy View Post
What ever you are on I need it ten fold.
zewill is offline   Reply With Quote