The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 30 August 2021, 01:10 AM   #1
Xerxes77
Banned

I am just curious…..

How many of us still use them Nautilus like a daily watch?

Few years ago many people who have a Nautilus wear it like a daily watch without have little scratches problems……

Now seems this watch become so valuable not only because of the price from the second hand market but because it’s so hard to reach one from AD and also because if we look on the near future this situation will not improve soon….

So how many of us still use it like a daily watch without have any problems?
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2021, 03:03 AM   #2
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
If its broken in with some hairlines no problem wearing it. But, I suspect more and more folks are putting them away. Hard to keep them insured correctly with the values going up so fast.
Calatrava r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2021, 04:35 AM   #3
azizu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3700/11AJ
Daily watch seems to be changing depending on my evolution in life/job
used to be a 36mm Rolex datejust in 2010
then around 2016 it became the Rolex GMT master II BLNR
in 2018 it became the 38mm Blancpain Quantium Complete
in 2019 it became the PP 5146G
in 2020 it became the APRO 15500 (PP5712A intermittently)
in 2021 it became the PP5320G

i guess that is the fun of it, it keeps on changing :)
Old 30 August 2021, 04:40 AM   #4
HMHM
"TRF" Member

I used to wear all my watches for daily activities, including getting takeaway at McDonalds or to the Hawker centre. But nowadays I only use my Datejust or Tudor for most things because the prices of the watches have gone berserk and I would not be able to replace them. I commented previously about this as the inability to wear certain watches more regularly has sucked a little of the fun and joy out of this hobby.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2021, 05:10 AM   #5
Xerxes77
Banned

This is the point of this thread….. I have Nautilus 5726 blue dial and 5980 1AR and one day I realize that I wear my BLRO SS more then any watch from my collection…..
Then I start to wear again mostly my 5980 1AR …. But the feeling it’s not the same, I stay in alert to not scratch the watch to not make a ding to watch…..
On the other part I read about Rolexgang who are especially on robbers watches …… and have one friend who are robbed in Barcelona last year……
So we are still in hunting this pieces from Patek but we wear it only in different closest circles and can enjoy our watches……
Old 30 August 2021, 05:22 AM   #6
Trainedmonkey
"TRF" Member

I wear my 5711 every day. I did not buy it to keep it in a safe, rather as something to enjoy daily. I got it sealed as well, so could have put it away for a pretty penny. But precisely why I didn't put it away is probably the reason I got a 5711 at retail in 2020 in the first place.

The precious metal watches are then for special occasions.
Trainedmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2021, 06:14 AM   #7
vandyologist
2024 Pledge Member

I wear my 5711 more than any other watch. If I had a true “daily” it would certainly be this.

vandyologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2021, 09:22 AM   #8
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

I wear my 5711 every day although I switch it out for a Sea Dweller if I think I'm going to be doing something where my watch will contact metal. However, I was up on my house's flat roof cleaning up a years worth of debris last Thursday and when I finished I checked the time and realized that I had my Nautilus on. Ironically, the low profile keeps it out of harms way whereas my Sea Dweller gets smashed into every door frame.
I'm not unconscious of the value of my 5711 but I'm too old to worry about it and it's a pleasure to wear.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2021, 07:38 PM   #9
liljctl
"TRF" Member

To the gym! 20210830_160115.jpg

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk
liljctl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2021, 08:13 PM   #10
ts3
"TRF" Member

After using it as a special occasion watch for a few years I have been wearing my 5711 blue daily this summer including for light sports such as swimming or cycling. That said, subconsciously I am still using it with enhanced consciousness against banging into doors etc. When it comes to higher risk activities such as working on a car or bicycle, or preflight checking an aircraft to go flying I keep using my IWC Mark XV beater instead.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2021, 01:54 AM   #11
AvGeek
2024 Pledge Member

I wear my 5740 everyday. Things aren’t always going to be like this and there will be a day where it is back to normal. If not concerned about selling, why be concerned about wearing?
AvGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2021, 02:40 PM   #12
Ellz
2024 Pledge Member

I’ve worn it almost every day for 7 years https://www.rolexforums.com/attachme...1&d=1630384785
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 7B9C9E4D-52C5-442A-B27A-D65CDE22F20B.jpeg (108.1 KB, 1623 views)
Ellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2021, 06:54 PM   #13
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

I don’t have a Nautilus (my dad dailied a 3800 for nearly three decades but has now replaced it with and Apple Watch) but I do have an Aquanaut that I wore every day for 20 years. No longer.

If I owned a Nautilus now, I doubt I’d wear it either. These were stealth watches for decades - you could wear them and nobody would pay them any mind. They said nothing about you to the general public, and there was no equivalent dread that you’d be mugged, as you would wearing a Rolex. The Aquanaut and Nautilus lines were the anti-Rolex.

Now? Sports PPs are what Rolex used to be - far too recognisable and, with the headlines, every Tom Dick and Harry spying them on your wrist would know its exact value.

They are no longer fit for their original purpose, and no, I wouldn’t be comfortable wearing any Nautilus daily.
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2021, 08:00 AM   #14
Xerxes77
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post
I don’t have a Nautilus (my dad dailied a 3800 for nearly three decades but has now replaced it with and Apple Watch) but I do have an Aquanaut that I wore every day for 20 years. No longer.

If I owned a Nautilus now, I doubt I’d wear it either. These were stealth watches for decades - you could wear them and nobody would pay them any mind. They said nothing about you to the general public, and there was no equivalent dread that you’d be mugged, as you would wearing a Rolex. The Aquanaut and Nautilus lines were the anti-Rolex.

Now? Sports PPs are what Rolex used to be - far too recognisable and, with the headlines, every Tom Dick and Harry spying them on your wrist would know its exact value.

They are no longer fit for their original purpose, and no, I wouldn’t be comfortable wearing any Nautilus daily.
This is exactly what I filling too….
Unfortunately this forum became a place where we only crying because AD don’t have supply and can’t buy anything for AD …… but we forgot to discuss real problems of this time…. We can’t enjoy our watch…..We can’t enjoy our passion because this hype brings many other problems….. some of them you describe here ….
I don’t think any of us fill safe like few years ago when you were your Nautilus or Aquanaut……
I remember when I buy last Nautilus the owner of AD tell me to go directly at hotel and put it in the safe…..yap this was the advice because I was on other country in a big city with many tourists and also many eyes who hunting this pieces…..
I see more then 1000 fellows read this thread but only 13 want to share him/her experience…..
No problem….. we will continue to read simple thread like how AD don’t want to get any pieces….or to say “congratulations” to another fellow who just bring his new watch and wear it proudly on his house or Saturday evening at dinner….. then put it in the safe….
Thank you to all who have courage to share with us how they fills….
Old 1 September 2021, 10:03 PM   #15
Keldw
"TRF" Member

My blue dial 5711 used to be my daily, but I hardly wear it anymore. Since January 1st I might have worn it for a total of 12 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KW

https://www.instagram.com/rlx_dk/
Keldw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2021, 11:43 PM   #16
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

And yet, where I live, I've been wearing my Nautilus and sometimes my Aquanaut and no one has noticed either. I try to get attention, but nothing. I was wearing a Daytona a few weeks ago and a stranger came up to me, pointed at my watch and said "can you tell me what time it is?" It wasn't easy without my reading glasses, but I was able to make it out within a small margin of error. He was satisfied and went away.
Old 2 September 2021, 12:30 AM   #17
Xpatcan1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711/1A
Out of my collection the 5711 gets the most wrist time closely followed by a YGDD40
Old 2 September 2021, 01:42 AM   #18
Xerxes77
Banned

Today I read a news about a men who are in vacation in Italy and was attack and they take it his watch, a Rolex
Old 2 September 2021, 02:44 AM   #19
LJubel328
"TRF" Member

I buy my watches to wear them. I see no joy in keeping them tucked away in a safe (unless that is you have multiple of a reference)
LJubel328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2021, 03:13 AM   #20
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes77 View Post
Today I read a news about a men who are in vacation in Italy and was attack and they take it his watch, a Rolex
That stands to reason, the Italians appreciate a good timepiece.
Old 22 October 2021, 10:10 PM   #21
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

I was wandering around Santa Fe, yesterday, and saw a woman wearing a big diamond ring and it occurred to me that she must have some big cohones to go along with that big ring.
Based on the number of posts I've seen about guys afraid to wear their Nautilai and other recognizable watches, are women more brave than men?
And, if you buy your fiancee a big diamond ring, is it because you're trying to get her/him killed? How can one, in good conscience, buy someone we love something valuable to wear when we're not willing to take on that risk ourselves?
Old 22 October 2021, 10:11 PM   #22
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Hard to keep them insured correctly with the values going up so fast.
That is an excellent point especially when it comes to the Nautilis. It’s hard enough with a Hulk, Daytona or Pepsi keeping them insured but it has to be absolutely insane when it comes to the 5711.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2021, 11:13 PM   #23
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
I still do. It is a watch
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 12:27 AM   #24
helloworldies
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Omega
There's no doubt it's easier wear a Rolex day in and out no matter what you are doing.

I wore a 5726a doing all kinds of thing but you definitely have to remember to protect it from contact!
helloworldies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 12:32 AM   #25
key
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This 100%.

Although I have no intent to sell my pieces, the increased value and recognition makes me think twice before wearing them.
key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 12:37 AM   #26
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Not the same thing but perhaps a similar value. I don't really know as I don't keep up current prices so well. I wear my platinum Daytona every single day. Not when exercising, but for everything else. I bought it to enjoy it. Sure it has some nicks. But I'd rather enjoy it every day knowing that it no longer looks new than to be afraid to enjoy it. It's also insured for $5x,xxx, so I wouldn't be able to replace it if it were stolen. But I don't worry about it. Sure there are some places I wouldn't go with it, but I seldom find myself in those places anyway.
Old 23 October 2021, 06:06 AM   #27
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
Quote:

Few years ago many people who have a Nautilus wear it like a daily watch without have little scratches problems……

Now seems this watch become so valuable not only because of the price from the second hand market but because it’s so hard to reach one from AD and also because if we look on the near future this situation will not improve soon….

So how many of us still use it like a daily watch without have any problems?
very appropriate question. I wish I owned a Nautilus but I can relate to your point nonetheless. I look forward to one day having a job that enables me to wear a watch daily and if I'm lucky, to be in a situation wear I feel comfortable doing so. Crime and the crazy values are very real points. I was almost robbed a few years back via a spree that was targeting chrono24, among other platforms. I would say I'm less concerned about the value aspect vis a vis the condition of my watches because selling is not on the agenda though.
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 09:41 AM   #28
QuelleHeureEstIl
Banned

2 days ago, a member of the French government with her husband was molested to steal... a rolex (husband's). They were in a good area. https://www.lefigaro.fr/faits-divers...agnon-20211021

My PP AD told me that people prefer steal, grey gold and platinum for security reasons. Real geeks are now also less interested by the obvious models (Daytona, GMT2, Nautilus, Aquanaut, etc).
QuelleHeureEstIl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 08:28 PM   #29
KennyS
"TRF" Member

I had chance to buy Nautilus when the price was like $30,000; but I bought Daytona instead. Do I regret? Sometimes I do regret, yes if I have the money I should have bought both, but I regret I have to choose one.
The only regret is I don’t have enough money. Otherwise if I have to go back and choose one I will still take Daytona.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KennyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2021, 12:40 AM   #30
np2016
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek, AP,
I wear my 5167a almost always nowdays with short sleeve shirts rather than my 5711. My reasoning is athough both are fully insured if my 5711 is stolen or I'm robbed it will be damn near impossible to replace. When it's cooler out I will wear my 5711 because it can be hidden more easily under long sleeve shirts. Scratches and dings don't bother me at all but not being able to replace the timepiece does.
np2016 is offline   Reply With Quote