The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 20 October 2021, 01:02 PM   #1
SANDIEGO
"TRF" Member

Can Anyone here Identify this Rolex Submariner?

Hello, I bought a Rolex Submariner used from someone in the early 1980s. It has on the face "ROTOR SELFWINDING"which I have not seen on any other Rolex Submariners. It has 5513 stamped on the case, Serial number 2015759.
Does anybody have any idea why I cannot find any other Rolex's with this on the face? I have had it to a jewelers and they verified it is a genuine Rolex Submariner. Photo of watch attached.

Any help here appreciated. Thanks..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.JPG (81.1 KB, 589 views)
Old 20 October 2021, 01:05 PM   #2
matthew_r
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114200
I’m sorry, I am no expert but the watch appears to be fake or at least had its dial repainted.
Old 20 October 2021, 01:12 PM   #3
Eric88
"TRF" Member

Not good.
Old 20 October 2021, 01:41 PM   #4
vintagewatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sport 4digit ref#
The 2 million serial number would indicate production around 1970. Automatic Tudor watches at this time often had "Rotor Self Winding" on the dial (including the Submariner). If the watch is genuine my guess is that at some point the dial was replaced or refinished with the text resembling the Tudor Submariner dial for some reason (albeit strange).
Old 20 October 2021, 02:11 PM   #5
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

we need better pictures. Can you post pictures of the back of he watch. A close up of the dial and of the crown.

I suspect it could be a genuine Rolex but the dial has been repainted or edited? (as others have pointed out). We need closer pictures to better assess. It is a strange one as the bezel insert appears to be a later service and crown looks like a 703 so its gone through some servicing in the past - not sure how the dial got through - perhaps via a independent watchmaker?

Also, the bracelet could be genuine? but from a much smaller sized watch.
Old 20 October 2021, 05:07 PM   #6
Scaramanga74
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Quote:
Originally Posted by SANDIEGO View Post
Hello, I bought a Rolex Submariner used from someone in the early 1980s. It has on the face "ROTOR SELFWINDING"which I have not seen on any other Rolex Submariners. It has 5513 stamped on the case, Serial number 2015759.
Does anybody have any idea why I cannot find any other Rolex's with this on the face? I have had it to a jewelers and they verified it is a genuine Rolex Submariner. Photo of watch attached.

Any help here appreciated. Thanks..
Definitely a repainted dial. Did the jewelers open it to look at the movement?

Pictures of the case back please!
Old 20 October 2021, 05:13 PM   #7
Mark020
"TRF" Member

Poor redial. Rest may be legit
Old 20 October 2021, 10:17 PM   #8
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Dial is wrong. I would never ask a jeweler to authenticate a Rolex.
Old 20 October 2021, 10:44 PM   #9
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

Bracelet is the wrong size as well.
Looks like it was put together from parts.
Old 20 October 2021, 11:18 PM   #10
SANDIEGO
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagewatch View Post
The 2 million serial number would indicate production around 1970. Automatic Tudor watches at this time often had "Rotor Self Winding" on the dial (including the Submariner). If the watch is genuine my guess is that at some point the dial was replaced or refinished with the text resembling the Tudor Submariner dial for some reason (albeit strange).
Thanks for the info. When the watch was received by me in a deal, The dial face was ruined, Rotating Bezel gone, winding crown gone. I had taken it to a jeweler in the early 80's who restored/replaced it. So, the watch is not worth much now?
Old 20 October 2021, 11:22 PM   #11
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info. When the watch was received by me in a deal, The dial face was ruined, Rotating Bezel gone, winding crown gone. I had taken it to a jeweler in the early 80's who restored/replaced it. So, the watch is not worth much now?
your story is now changing a little bit... why didn't you just start off the post with that information instead of making it sound like you bought the watch in the condition as pictured.

I mean you clearly know what has and hasn't been done to the watch so you already know your answer....
Old 20 October 2021, 11:22 PM   #12
SANDIEGO
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayshere View Post
we need better pictures. Can you post pictures of the back of he watch. A close up of the dial and of the crown.

I suspect it could be a genuine Rolex but the dial has been repainted or edited? (as others have pointed out). We need closer pictures to better assess. It is a strange one as the bezel insert appears to be a later service and crown looks like a 703 so its gone through some servicing in the past - not sure how the dial got through - perhaps via a independent watchmaker?

Also, the bracelet could be genuine? but from a much smaller sized watch.
Thanks, see my response to work that has been done on it in the past below message.
Old 20 October 2021, 11:23 PM   #13
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Now the story is making more sense. The watch still has some value, but not nearly as much as if the dial and bezel insert were original. The bracelet end-links also don't appear to fit properly, so perhaps the bracelet has been replaced with an incorrect one.
Old 21 October 2021, 04:26 AM   #14
SANDIEGO
"TRF" Member

Quote:
your story is now changing a little bit... why didn't you just start off the post with that information instead of making it sound like you bought the watch in the condition as pictured.

I mean you clearly know what has and hasn't been done to the watch so you already know your answer....
That's not true. I assumed the watch face, would have been replaced/redone or whatever with the exact same one that belonged on it. Why it would have been changed to something else (if it has) is a puzzle as to why that was done.
Old 21 October 2021, 04:28 AM   #15
SANDIEGO
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
Now the story is making more sense. The watch still has some value, but not nearly as much as if the dial and bezel insert were original. The bracelet end-links also don't appear to fit properly, so perhaps the bracelet has been replaced with an incorrect one.
Okay I do appreciate the response. So maybe worth couple thousand or do you maybe have a ballpark number just so I sort of know it's value?
Old 21 October 2021, 04:46 AM   #16
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
Like maybe $1,000. Or maybe more. Or Possibly less.
You need to take a few more photos. It looks like a fake with a possibility that it has some legit parts
Old 21 October 2021, 06:23 AM   #17
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Okay I do appreciate the response. So maybe worth couple thousand or do you maybe have a ballpark number just so I sort of know it's value?
As Harry mentioned, the approximate value will depend on what parts are legit. We really can't be precise about that based on the photos.
Old 21 October 2021, 06:57 AM   #18
SANDIEGO
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry in montreal View Post
Like maybe $1,000. Or maybe more. Or Possibly less.
You need to take a few more photos. It looks like a fake with a possibility that it has some legit parts
The "Jeweler" I referred to Actually was the watchmaker who did the replacement of the face. He told me it was in very good shape, so I assume (I know) he would know a fake. Also, again this was in early 1980's and I don't think, correct me if I'm wrong, there were any replicas that early that would fool a watchmaker. Would a picture of the back of the case give any clues? I really don't want to open it as it has always worked perfect and I'm not a watchmaker. Thank you for your time....
Old 21 October 2021, 06:57 AM   #19
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Dial is wrong. I would never ask a jeweler to authenticate a Rolex.
Nor have them work on it
Old 21 October 2021, 07:10 AM   #20
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
The "Jeweler" I referred to Actually was the watchmaker who did the replacement of the face. He told me it was in very good shape, so I assume (I know) he would know a fake. Also, again this was in early 1980's and I don't think, correct me if I'm wrong, there were any replicas that early that would fool a watchmaker. Would a picture of the back of the case give any clues? I really don't want to open it as it has always worked perfect and I'm not a watchmaker. Thank you for your time....
If he would know a fake, why would he replace a damaged dial with with one that doesn’t exist in any world? It’s a mish-mash of a Rolex dial and a Tudor dial. In other words, I’m not sure how he can be considered unable to be fooled by a replica when he would put that on a watch.
Old 21 October 2021, 08:02 AM   #21
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingface66 View Post
If he would know a fake, why would he replace a damaged dial with with one that doesn’t exist in any world? It’s a mish-mash of a Rolex dial and a Tudor dial. In other words, I’m not sure how he can be considered unable to be fooled by a replica when he would put that on a watch.
maybe i'm just cynical but we hear these stories all the time here.

insert new member asking about a watch with questionable parts. When probe a bit - oh yeah, forgot to tell you, maybe this was replaced by this person 60 moons ago. btw, how much is it worth?

i'll leave you guys to this thread...
Old 21 October 2021, 08:07 AM   #22
SANDIEGO
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I will probably just can it. Too much hassle to try to sell.... Thanks for your time anyway..
Old 21 October 2021, 08:11 AM   #23
indianmachine
"TRF" Member

if it's in working order I'd just enjoy as is
Old 21 October 2021, 10:10 AM   #24
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
...why would he replace a damaged dial with with one that doesn’t exist in any world?
This. Why just make up your own text and write it on the dial? At least get the words right...
Old 21 October 2021, 12:29 PM   #25
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
Turn the watch over. Take a photo. Take one of the side with the winding crown. From what we see much of the watch is questionable. But it’s up to you to proceed. They have faked Rolexes for decades. Nyc canal street was built on fake Rolexes, cannolis and rice sticks with beef and black bean sauce !
Old 21 October 2021, 01:30 PM   #26
motoikkyu
2024 Pledge Member

With respect to all, why not suggest that the watch be sent to one of our esteemed independent houses. Wouldn't they be able to pull it apart and determine what's real and what's, shall we say, aftermarket? It could very well be that this is a worthy restoration project. If a $4k dial and an $1100 bezel will yield a $13k watch, that might still be worth doing, no?
Old 21 October 2021, 05:39 PM   #27
Chris
"TRF" Member

Quote:
maybe i'm just cynical but we hear these stories all the time here.

insert new member asking about a watch with questionable parts. When probe a bit - oh yeah, forgot to tell you, maybe this was replaced by this person 60 moons ago. btw, how much is it worth?

i'll leave you guys to this thread...
All seems a bit odd to me a sleeping member becomes active after 10 years with a watch hes owned for 40yrs.
Old 21 October 2021, 06:38 PM   #28
CaveDweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: Timex
"Shit can it" means make me an offer by PM - so now he has two or more of you on the hook - lol

Aplogies if i'm wrong, but this whole set-up is smelling .....
Old 21 October 2021, 10:38 PM   #29
FrenchBigCrown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveDweller View Post
"Shit can it" means make me an offer by PM - so now he has two or more of you on the hook - lol

Old 21 October 2021, 11:33 PM   #30
SANDIEGO
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveDweller View Post

All I did was ask legitimate questions about a watch I have. And know nothing about. (1) Anyone have any information on it (2) Does anybody know how much it might be worth. I cannot believe how rude some of the responders are. This is the most rude, accusing, forums I have ever been on. Sorry to apparently have hurt some peoples feelings or something.
Closed Thread