The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: 5711 sell or trade for a 5205g
Sell/trade the 5711 for the 5205g 19 18.27%
Keep the 5711 59 56.73%
Sells my Rolex watches and have two Pateks 26 25.00%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22 October 2021, 12:05 AM   #1
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
To sell/trade my 5711 white for a 5205g

I am in the midst of a dilemma.

I know what the 5711 is worth, I love it and wear it but I cannot spend this kind of money on two Patek watches. I am not even sure I want to spend what the 5205g costs. I know the 5711 is discontinued. I want to wear and own what I enjoy and the 5205g seems to be a better fit for me going forward.

Thoughts on a trade or sale with cash coming back to me?

Thanks
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2021, 12:13 AM   #2
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
If you want a cash in some money I get it. Is almost like you probably could buy 2 5205g with your Nautilus, market is just stupid crazy right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2021, 12:22 AM   #3
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
You should shoot for a new/mint 5205g and $42,500 coming back to you. I’d probably start closer to $45,000 coming back in cash, and go from there.

I totally understand your desire to do this…but also make sure you really want the 5205g and will enjoy it. The reality is the Nautilus market isn’t going to change so it’s likely it will only continue to appreciate over time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 22 October 2021, 12:45 AM   #4
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

i personally would not sell the 5711 but i see where you're coming from. it's at crazy prices and probably hard to wear but i just feel like it's something that you'll possibly never get back once you let it go and if you get the 5205 and start to regret the decision it won't be ideal. think the 5711 is just too special to let go right now, love the white dial also
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2021, 12:46 AM   #5
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: P A T E K
Do not sell 5711.
Old 22 October 2021, 12:51 AM   #6
ts3
"TRF" Member

Seems like you answered the question if the 5205 is a better fit for you.

Personally I am no fan of the 5205 as it has a few "bugs" and features I don't like including (1) the different widths + fonts of the day and month windows (I understand why that is but cannot unsee it), (2) the overly large subdial with the hands seemingly sitting inside the subdial, and (3) the hollow lugs.

If you do want to go for the 5205 I'd rather sell the Rolexes than the 5711.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2021, 01:07 AM   #7
qrc36
"TRF" Member

Make sure you've tried the 5205G before you buy it. I was so interested in it when it came out. The pics looked really nice.

And then I tried it on my wrist. Oh my was I so disappointed. I absolutely hated the way the glass was "elevated" from the case, and that it was curved inwards (?concave) like a volcano crater. (See pic from Patek website - it's even worse in real life.)

The 5205G ends up being a thick watch - it's 11.36mm / 0.44 inch thick, versus the 5711 (8.3mm / 0.32 inch thick).

I don't think I've ever seen a watch with that sort of inward and upward curve. And that bothered me, because the watch looks so nice in photos!

The different sized windows and fonts for the day of the week and the month also bothered me (I found out reading the posts on here!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 5205G_013_1@2x.jpeg (34.8 KB, 644 views)
qrc36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2021, 01:47 AM   #8
MadSpaniard
"TRF" Member

You say the 5205 is a better fit for you. And, it seems the only thing making you hesitate on selling the 5711 is the investment value. I get the impression you're debating between an investment and a watch.

So sell the 5711 and get the watch you want. Put the difference in a real investment asset, plenty of stocks out there that would serve the purpose well.

Let's face it: the only reason everybody has a hard-on for the 5711 these days is because of its insane market value. The frenzy is not about the intrinsic value of the 5711 per se, or its merit as an object of art or craftsmanship - it's entirely about the speculative value.

There was a time, not even that long ago, when the 5711 was readily available at or even under MSRP. At that time, nobody talked about the 5711 in reverential or revelatory terms, nobody hailed it as a marvel of the watch-making world, nobody regarded it as the non-plus-ultra of Patek. Quite the opposite: it was considered somewhat entry-level, a youthful and sporty on-ramp to the brand (the Aquanaut even more so).

Then a perfect storm of social media celebrities, reality TV stars, IG "influencers" and pop-music impresarios changed the game entirely. Fame ran over talent, "likes" ran over craftsmanship. The 5711 – and dozens of other products and brands – benefited immensely from association during this perfect storm.

At MSRP nobody was jerking-off all sweaty and frothy to pictures of the 5711. But at $100k (or even $400k for green), the 5711 has morphed into a massive bukake party, with everybody trying to out-do one another.

It's been an amazing phenomenon to watch. And of course, I wish I had bought one years ago – but only because of the speculative gain. (On the other hand, many other financial assets have also done well in the same time period, some even better).

So my advice would be: get the watch you truly like and enjoy it as a watch, and separately, invest in assets that serve your financial needs accordingly. Those are two different concepts, and each merits its own consideration. Cheers.
MadSpaniard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2021, 02:27 AM   #9
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

If you are 1000 percent certain you won’t want it back, it’s a good time to cash in on it. I think the white has peaked.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2021, 02:29 AM   #10
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Keep the 5711 if you still love it. More versatile than the 5205g.
Any other pieces you can let go and add cash for the 5205?
Vipes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2021, 04:27 AM   #11
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadSpaniard View Post
You say the 5205 is a better fit for you. And, it seems the only thing making you hesitate on selling the 5711 is the investment value. I get the impression you're debating between an investment and a watch.

So sell the 5711 and get the watch you want. Put the difference in a real investment asset, plenty of stocks out there that would serve the purpose well.

Let's face it: the only reason everybody has a hard-on for the 5711 these days is because of its insane market value. The frenzy is not about the intrinsic value of the 5711 per se, or its merit as an object of art or craftsmanship - it's entirely about the speculative value.

There was a time, not even that long ago, when the 5711 was readily available at or even under MSRP. At that time, nobody talked about the 5711 in reverential or revelatory terms, nobody hailed it as a marvel of the watch-making world, nobody regarded it as the non-plus-ultra of Patek. Quite the opposite: it was considered somewhat entry-level, a youthful and sporty on-ramp to the brand (the Aquanaut even more so).

Then a perfect storm of social media celebrities, reality TV stars, IG "influencers" and pop-music impresarios changed the game entirely. Fame ran over talent, "likes" ran over craftsmanship. The 5711 – and dozens of other products and brands – benefited immensely from association during this perfect storm.

At MSRP nobody was jerking-off all sweaty and frothy to pictures of the 5711. But at $100k (or even $400k for green), the 5711 has morphed into a massive bukake party, with everybody trying to out-do one another.

It's been an amazing phenomenon to watch. And of course, I wish I had bought one years ago – but only because of the speculative gain. (On the other hand, many other financial assets have also done well in the same time period, some even better).

So my advice would be: get the watch you truly like and enjoy it as a watch, and separately, invest in assets that serve your financial needs accordingly. Those are two different concepts, and each merits its own consideration. Cheers.

5711 is nice, but it would have been hard to imagine a universe 10 years ago where a basic, SS 5711 could be traded for a Patek platinum perpetual.
Old 22 October 2021, 04:30 AM   #12
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
I would not sell the 5711, but rather add the 5205g on top by letting go some of your other watches. If you want to keep some, then add a bit of cash on top.

The 5205 in general is quite affordable compared to other Pateks and considering it's increasing popularity.

Definitely understand everyone's opinion but with the 5205, I would say aesthetics is truly up to the eye of beholder. Most people love the uniqueness of the holes in the lug. Sure the dial layout, but I don't even notice it the majority of the time. It's really not noticeable if you own the watch.

As for the sizing, it depends on the person's wrist. I've got skinny wrist but flat and it fits beautifully for me. Not a fair comparison between 5711 and 5205 as between the two the 5711 will always win for comfort. It is a sports watch at the end of the day.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2021, 05:20 AM   #13
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Great advice all so far thanks. I have been thinking about this for going on four months so this is neither an easy nor quick decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeCCW View Post
If you want a cash in some money I get it. Is almost like you probably could buy 2 5205g with your Nautilus, market is just stupid crazy right now.

Sad but true and I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiscott_29 View Post

I totally understand your desire to do this…but also make sure you really want the 5205g and will enjoy it. The reality is the Nautilus market isn’t going to change so it’s likely it will only continue to appreciate over time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks, not really interested in appreciation over time except where I enjoy wearing the watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
i personally would not sell the 5711 but i see where you're coming from. it's at crazy prices and probably hard to wear but i just feel like it's something that you'll possibly never get back once you let it go and if you get the 5205 and start to regret the decision it won't be ideal. think the 5711 is just too special to let go right now, love the white dial also
I agree, I love the white and always have. I realize I could not get it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueMR View Post
Do not sell 5711.
Ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post

Personally I am no fan of the 5205 as it has a few "bugs" and features I don't like including (1) the different widths + fonts of the day and month windows (I understand why that is but cannot unsee it), (2) the overly large subdial with the hands seemingly sitting inside the subdial, and (3) the hollow lugs.

I understand and everything you pointed out I adore about the 5205 including the holes in the lugs. At this point my two Rolex watches would not cover the cost of the 5205g. Also as I have said I am not sure I want to put that much into a single watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qrc36 View Post
Make sure you've tried the 5205G before you buy it. I was so interested in it when it came out. The pics looked really nice.

And then I tried it on my wrist. Oh my was I so disappointed. I absolutely hated the way the glass was "elevated" from the case, and that it was curved inwards (?concave) like a volcano crater. (See pic from Patek website - it's even worse in real life.)

The 5205G ends up being a thick watch - it's 11.36mm / 0.44 inch thick, versus the 5711 (8.3mm / 0.32 inch thick).

I don't think I've ever seen a watch with that sort of inward and upward curve. And that bothered me, because the watch looks so nice in photos!

The different sized windows and fonts for the day of the week and the month also bothered me (I found out reading the posts on here!)
I have and I love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipes View Post
Keep the 5711 if you still love it. More versatile than the 5205g.
Any other pieces you can let go and add cash for the 5205?
While I don't disagree, at this point in my life they are equal in terms of wear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nastie View Post
I would not sell the 5711, but rather add the 5205g on top by letting go some of your other watches. If you want to keep some, then add a bit of cash on top.

The 5205 in general is quite affordable compared to other Pateks and considering it's increasing popularity.

Definitely understand everyone's opinion but with the 5205, I would say aesthetics is truly up to the eye of beholder. Most people love the uniqueness of the holes in the lug. Sure the dial layout, but I don't even notice it the majority of the time. It's really not noticeable if you own the watch.

As for the sizing, it depends on the person's wrist. I've got skinny wrist but flat and it fits beautifully for me. Not a fair comparison between 5711 and 5205 as between the two the 5711 will always win for comfort. It is a sports watch at the end of the day.
I love how thin the 5711 is and how it feels on my wrist. While it is a sports watch, I wear it like a dress watch, it has never seen water and I tend to wear it while dressing up, hence the thought of moving to a strap piece, especially in white gold.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 22 October 2021, 05:52 AM   #14
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

At this point I'd say you do do, and laugh at the market while keeping the cash difference.

Otherwise, and I think actually the poll is about how much does one value the extra cash versus watch to watch comparison.

Cards on the table though, I went through a similar thought process last year between white daytona and FPJ CS. I kept the Daytona because I liked it more personally, regardless of where things have gone now between both watches.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2021, 06:30 AM   #15
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

I would do it, makes a lot of sense financially. And remember, life is not about accumulating beautiful things, it’s about accumulating beautiful memories. If you’ve had your time with the Nautilus, perhaps now is the moment to have your time with the 5205g (love that piece as well).

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2021, 06:43 AM   #16
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

I too have a white 5711 and tried on that very 5205G and did not like it, at all. Not only is the blue dial extremely dark but the shape and height on my wrist just didnt do it for me. So no way I would move the 5711 for it.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2021, 07:50 AM   #17
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

If you just want to take a victory lap, sell the 5711 and forget the 5205 consolation prize. You have plenty of other watch to wear.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2021, 07:53 AM   #18
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
The 5205 in all versions is my favorite looking Patek by far. Nothing including all their perpetual calendars even comes close to looking is good. IMHO. For whatever reason people are willing to pay huge money for the 5711. I’ll never understand why but you can cash in on this and buy several nice references. I would especially do this if you’re not that crazy about it. Now is the time before the Watch market crashes and it inevitably will one day.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2021, 08:14 AM   #19
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Based on your posted responses and rest of your collection, I think it's a good move to sell the 5711 and get the 5205. Money in your pocket as well as getting the watch that you really want? That's a win in my book. Way to see through the hype.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2021, 09:29 AM   #20
jed11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post

Details, details, details....great response Certainly worth considering!
jed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2021, 11:35 AM   #21
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the perspective. I have not decided to do anything and this thread was not an offer to trade or sell my watch. If I choose to do so I would post it in the for sale section.

Thanks
Old 22 October 2021, 01:44 PM   #22
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

i was just debating selling my 5711 and a few other pieces and getting the mbf perpetual evo. loved the nautilus when i got it from a dealer 4 years ago and never planned to sell it, but at this price there are so many other cool watches.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2021, 10:35 PM   #23
rolexperfect
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116506
To sell/trade my 5711 white for a 5205g

I had this in my hands yesterday. I’m getting it from another AD because of history building. Better to stay with one AD.

It’s my next Patek for sure. But the Nautilus being what it is these days, I would not sell it to be honest. But not sure if I could wear a 90k watch everyday. Wouldn’t feel so safe. Even in safe countries people are getting robbed.

Old 22 October 2021, 11:08 PM   #24
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Brian I’ve had the 5711 white a couple times and recently sold a 5205g013 on behalf of a friend.

I think you know exactly what you have in the 5711 having owned it for quite awhile. I won’t bother trying to talk you in or out of that.

But the 5205 was much nicer than I expected. I was seriously entertaining buying it for myself. It looked downright fantastic.

Old 22 October 2021, 11:12 PM   #25
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexperfect View Post
I had this in my hands yesterday. I’m getting it from another AD because of history building. Better to stay with one AD.

It’s my next Patek for sure. But the Nautilus being what it is these days, I would not sell it to be honest. But not sure if I could wear a 90k watch everyday. Wouldn’t feel so safe. Even in safe countries people are getting robbed.

I am with you in every way. My 5711 for MSRP is fine, I am not sure I want to double that at MSRP to get into the 5205. I simply do not feel any watch is worth that amount in a single piece. In an ideal world I would have both but that makes no sense for me in terms of pieces or values.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Brian I’ve had the 5711 white a couple times and recently sold a 5205g013 on behalf of a friend.

I think you know exactly what you have in the 5711 having owned it for quite awhile. I won’t bother trying to talk you in or out of that.

But the 5205 was much nicer than I expected. I was seriously entertaining buying it for myself. It looked downright fantastic.

And this is where I am. I don't want to part with the 5711. The 5205 is beautiful and a different piece for my curent lifestyle.

I am still pondering and my do nothing in the end but I appreciate all the thoughts.
Old 22 October 2021, 11:15 PM   #26
JMac6
"TRF" Member

I had wanted a 5711 or 5712 as long as I can remember, and recently purchased the 5205G. Frankly speaking, the 5205G is significantly more watch than the 5711, and a little more watch than the 5712.

I have kind of soured on the 5711 and 5712. I always thought it was somewhat overpriced at MSRP, but loved the style and how it would fit into my day-to-day. But with the hype around the watch, I don't know, it just doesn't sit as well with me. Maybe it is because it is like a woman who rejected me, and I am feeling some sort of animosity towards her? I'm not sure.

If I previously purchased a 5711, and spent 4-5 years with it, I would be hard pressed not to sell it if I wanted something else. Like a prior poster said, you could sell it and buy an MB&F perpetual, or even a Patek perpetual. I think I would feel differently about the 5712.

I know this is wildly unhelpful as to your decision - just know, there are other people who war with the same issues!
JMac6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2021, 11:24 PM   #27
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMac6 View Post
I had wanted a 5711 or 5712 as long as I can remember, and recently purchased the 5205G. Frankly speaking, the 5205G is significantly more watch than the 5711, and a little more watch than the 5712.

I have kind of soured on the 5711 and 5712. I always thought it was somewhat overpriced at MSRP, but loved the style and how it would fit into my day-to-day. But with the hype around the watch, I don't know, it just doesn't sit as well with me. Maybe it is because it is like a woman who rejected me, and I am feeling some sort of animosity towards her? I'm not sure.

If I previously purchased a 5711, and spent 4-5 years with it, I would be hard pressed not to sell it if I wanted something else. Like a prior poster said, you could sell it and buy an MB&F perpetual, or even a Patek perpetual. I think I would feel differently about the 5712.

I know this is wildly unhelpful as to your decision - just know, there are other people who war with the same issues!
Thanks, yes tough decision as I am generally unhappy with my entire collection and watches in general. Perhaps this is a failed thought at changing things up to enjoy watches? Bigger issues for me other than one Patek.
Old 23 October 2021, 12:36 AM   #28
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

i do generally get less satisfaction these days. still like buying watches but it's less of an event to me. may sound silly but i don't like the feeling that the dealer is doing me a favor allowing me the pleasure to buy something from them, rather me just buying something i like. my wife will then ask why am i still buying things.....
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 01:22 AM   #29
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
i do generally get less satisfaction these days. still like buying watches but it's less of an event to me. may sound silly but i don't like the feeling that the dealer is doing me a favor allowing me the pleasure to buy something from them, rather me just buying something i like. my wife will then ask why am i still buying things.....
Bingo.

Sometimes I think about selling all of them and going on a trip or two
Old 23 October 2021, 03:37 AM   #30
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMac6 View Post

I wish that was true regarding that EVO Perpetual. I think the recent drop which instantly sold out was priced around 175 CHF or so