The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 25 October 2021, 01:30 AM   #1
hawg
"TRF" Member

Omega 3861 issues?

Just wondering if any owners have noticed any issues with their watch stopping when the chronograph is engaged. Just interested as a potential buyer. Have heard the seconds hand can stop when chronograph actuated. Some think it has to do with low power reserve at the time.
hawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2021, 02:09 AM   #2
2001jesper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
Haven't seen a single story about that nor experienced it
2001jesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2021, 04:03 AM   #3
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
None at all
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2021, 05:00 AM   #4
StanGMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT
I heard similar stories only after I bought my 3861 Speedy in late August. From what I read it seems that Omega have devised a 'fix' that involves replacing a centre spindle bush with one of different material and that this was being built into new watches from earlier this year. I wrote to Omega via their website, giving my watch serial number, to ask if they could confirm whether or not it had the modification and, if not, would they be issuing a recall to fit the fix. I received an acknowledgement but haven't had a reply to date.

Meanwhile, my watch is working perfectly and I'm very happy with it.

Stan.
StanGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2021, 08:42 PM   #5
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I own the 3861 and have not heard this. My watch is functioning flawlessly.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2021, 09:11 PM   #6
Sjef1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGMT View Post
I heard similar stories only after I bought my 3861 Speedy in late August. From what I read it seems that Omega have devised a 'fix' that involves replacing a centre spindle bush with one of different material and that this was being built into new watches from earlier this year. I wrote to Omega via their website, giving my watch serial number, to ask if they could confirm whether or not it had the modification and, if not, would they be issuing a recall to fit the fix. I received an acknowledgement but haven't had a reply to date.

Meanwhile, my watch is working perfectly and I'm very happy with it.

Stan.
Like StanGMT said, there has been some issues in early production, and this is of course covered by the warranty, and to my knowledge this has been fixed on new watches that has been produced.
There is a long thread regarding this on omegaforums, with the title
"3861 movement broken? *Update: Read First Post*"
Sjef1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 01:11 AM   #7
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

No issues with mine. Bought it when they first came out.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 01:33 AM   #8
RolexBHR
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO
Bought the first production of the 3861 on my 50th Ann piece, no issues to date.
RolexBHR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 02:17 AM   #9
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjef1 View Post
Like StanGMT said, there has been some issues in early production, and this is of course covered by the warranty, and to my knowledge this has been fixed on new watches that has been produced.
There is a long thread regarding this on omegaforums, with the title
"3861 movement broken? *Update: Read First Post*"
Yes, that was me that started the thread. Some movements require the watch to undergo a service. As the fix is well known by omega now, you wouldn’t expect a watch produced today to suffer from it - or at least you’d hope not although there do seem to be people picking these up and having the odd issue still.

It’s not the chrono causing the issue, but the fact the watch loses power quickly - generally noted by either a short power reserve, or if you haven’t noticed that not enough power there when you engage the chrono. There’s a watchmaker on OF who explains it well.
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 04:25 AM   #10
StanGMT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec14 View Post
Yes, that was me that started the thread. Some movements require the watch to undergo a service. As the fix is well known by omega now, you wouldn’t expect a watch produced today to suffer from it - or at least you’d hope not although there do seem to be people picking these up and having the odd issue still.

It’s not the chrono causing the issue, but the fact the watch loses power quickly - generally noted by either a short power reserve, or if you haven’t noticed that not enough power there when you engage the chrono. There’s a watchmaker on OF who explains it well.
Thanks, Steve - that's a useful update. I bought my watch at the end of August, so I don't know if it's been built with the modification or not - do you know if Omega should be able to tell me from the serial number? As I say, although they acknowledged receipt of my query, they haven't answered me after six weeks.

Stan.
Old 26 October 2021, 05:34 AM   #11
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks, Steve - that's a useful update. I bought my watch at the end of August, so I don't know if it's been built with the modification or not - do you know if Omega should be able to tell me from the serial number? As I say, although they acknowledged receipt of my query, they haven't answered me after six weeks.

Stan.

I couldn’t tell you Stan - I suspect omega won’t respond to a query however.

My advice would be not to sweat it. You have a 5 year warranty so any issues should identify themselves prior to then. After that, you are near enough due a service anyway when the offending parts will be replaced anyway. If your watch is running accurately and keeping a decent power reserve then you should be all good.

And even if the worst happens, it’s about a 4 week fix so not too long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 26 October 2021, 08:12 AM   #12
StanGMT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec14 View Post
I couldn’t tell you Stan - I suspect omega won’t respond to a query however.

My advice would be not to sweat it. You have a 5 year warranty so any issues should identify themselves prior to then. After that, you are near enough due a service anyway when the offending parts will be replaced anyway. If your watch is running accurately and keeping a decent power reserve then you should be all good.

And even if the worst happens, it’s about a 4 week fix so not too long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Many thanks Steve - that seems sound advice. I'm just going to get on and enjoy my watch!

Stan.
Old 26 October 2021, 01:59 PM   #13
ducatiti
Banned

I think if you purchased new stock July and up, the corrections have been made already. Make sure you don't receive old stock.
ducatiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 07:25 PM   #14
Jimmy 1665
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665/16610/114060
Bought my Speedy 3861 in February and it been running with no issues - Chrono engaged for 48 hours plus and nothing to report!
Jimmy 1665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2021, 09:24 AM   #15
EdwardC
2024 Pledge Member

How many times we should wound the 3861 from no power to full power? I feel the 3861 is much stiffer than the 1863.
EdwardC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2021, 03:37 PM   #16
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardC View Post
How many times we should wound the 3861 from no power to full power? I feel the 3861 is much stiffer than the 1863.
Mine was incredibly stiff at first and hurt my fingers but loosened up nicely after a month or so. As per the 1863, wind it until you feel the resistance. About 40 or so full revolutions I think.
Old 5 January 2022, 11:02 AM   #17
David5807
"TRF" Member

Silly question, but what would happen if one were to leave the chrono hand running until power depletion. Would it damage the movement, etc.?
David5807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2022, 06:54 PM   #18
Alex_TA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardC View Post
Don't count, just wound it until you can't.

Even on the first parties the issue of power depletion is very rare. Now it does not exist at all.
Very stable and exclusively accurate watch.
Alex_TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2022, 10:28 AM   #19
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

reviving this old thread but seeing if I have an issue or just paranoid.

Just picked up a 3861 pre owned card dated December 2021 (after the July 2021 "fix" but not clear when watch was produced). I wound the watch about 30 times and it kept great time. About 30 hours later I ran the chrono and after about 58 seconds the chrono seconds and the watch seconds both stopped. As soon as I disengaged the chrono, the watch ran again. I wound it up and started the chrono again, and its running and not stopping.

Is this the chrono issue described here and on the omega forums or just an indication of low power reserve from not fully winding it from dead?
sportsfan0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2022, 05:13 AM   #20
StanGMT
"TRF" Member

I might be completely wrong here, but I have the impression that the problem is most likely to occur when the watch is close to depleted power reserve.

Have you wound it fully? I don't know if 30 turns of the winder from a run down state is sufficient to do this. To fully wind it you need to keep turning the crown until it won't turn any further with gentle pressure - this might be 40-50 turns of the crown and you will feel the 'stop' quite distinctly. I wind mine fully every morning (ie, every 24 hours) and this usually takes around 18-20 turns of the crown.

So, when you say you wound it 30 times and then encountered the problem 30 hours later, the watch power reserve might have been quite depleted by then. Arguably the problem should still not occur, but low power reserve can be overcome by fully winding every 24 hours.

As I say, I might be completely off-beam here and others might have more informed thoughts on the matter. Good luck with it.

Stan.
Old 10 September 2022, 05:48 AM   #21
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Wind it until it stops!
Old 10 September 2022, 07:48 AM   #22
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I might be completely wrong here, but I have the impression that the problem is most likely to occur when the watch is close to depleted power reserve.

Have you wound it fully? I don't know if 30 turns of the winder from a run down state is sufficient to do this. To fully wind it you need to keep turning the crown until it won't turn any further with gentle pressure - this might be 40-50 turns of the crown and you will feel the 'stop' quite distinctly. I wind mine fully every morning (ie, every 24 hours) and this usually takes around 18-20 turns of the crown.

So, when you say you wound it 30 times and then encountered the problem 30 hours later, the watch power reserve might have been quite depleted by then. Arguably the problem should still not occur, but low power reserve can be overcome by fully winding every 24 hours.

As I say, I might be completely off-beam here and others might have more informed thoughts on the matter. Good luck with it.

Stan.
Thanks for the comment. Problem happened again this morning and I wound it another 30 times, after which the chrono ran for another 6 hours, which tells me there likely isnt a problem and the issue was due to low power reserve.

I have a manual wind reverso and the winding is so much smoother from the start that I know to stop winding when I feel resistance. I didn't realize the omega has that built in stop, so I was probably not winding enough and confusing the tighter winding resistance with a "full wind"
sportsfan0704 is offline   Reply With Quote