The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 26 October 2021, 01:55 AM   #1
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
5524G or Lange 1 Moon Phase

I currently own the 5524G. I absolutely love it. It’s the perfect under the radar timepiece. I have two straps for it and like them both. However if I wish to buy the Lange 1 Moon Phase WG black dial I will have to sell the Patek. The reason why I’m considering the ALS is because it will get me on the list for the odysseus. I would love to have an ALS sports watch and this is the only one. What are your thoughts on this? Crazy right?

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 02:43 AM   #2
Vipes
"TRF" Member

I'm a big fan of the Lange 1MP. Are you paying full retail for the Lange and how long is the list?
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 02:46 AM   #3
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipes View Post
I'm a big fan of the Lange 1MP. Are you paying full retail for the Lange and how long is the list?
That’s the problem. Yes I will be paying for retail for it. That’s 46.4K + tax. Painful. Our friend DavidSW has one brand new for 39K. They Odysseus is guaranteed to me in under two years.

Instagram - patton250
Old 26 October 2021, 03:00 AM   #4
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
That’s the problem. Yes I will be paying for retail for it. That’s 46.4K + tax. Painful. Our friend DavidSW has one brand new for 39K. They Odysseus is guaranteed to me in under two years.
This is a hard one since you really love the 5524g. If the Odysseus is higher on your list than the 5524 then I say do it. I'm just very skeptical of ADs nowadays. They promise you pieces but under deliver (at least this has been my experience with my Patek AD).
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 03:44 AM   #5
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipes View Post
This is a hard one since you really love the 5524g. If the Odysseus is higher on your list than the 5524 then I say do it. I'm just very skeptical of ADs nowadays. They promise you pieces but under deliver (at least this has been my experience with my Patek AD).
And that my friend is what has me most concerned. Imagine if they don’t come through and deliver? That would really set me off.

Instagram - patton250
Old 26 October 2021, 04:27 AM   #6
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
Very interesting how the SS Odysseus is being allocated. I have two friends who bought pieces from the boutique and given the same type of guarantee.

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 04:40 AM   #7
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goog53 View Post
Very interesting how the SS Odysseus is being allocated. I have two friends who bought pieces from the boutique and given the same type of guarantee.
Yes it’s the ALS answer to the Nautilis I guess. Lol. I think it’s a stunningly beautiful piece. Have you looked at the case? Of course we already knew the movement would be stunning but even the dial is exquisite. Still though I would feel more comfortable with a guarantee and it wouldn’t hurt looking at one in person first either.

Instagram - patton250
Old 26 October 2021, 04:57 AM   #8
nickorette
"TRF" Member

From the losses in trading in the 5224g and buying a lange 1 moon, would it not just be cheaper to buy grey? Then you also get now.
nickorette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 05:05 AM   #9
aj_tucker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500
The answer is always buy the watch you love most. Sounds like you really like the Patek - so buy it. If you want an Odysseus, pay over retail or find a Lange that sings to you the way the Patek does. But, having buying a watch for the promise of a watch to come will only leaving you still lusting after the Patek.
aj_tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 05:10 AM   #10
HMHM
"TRF" Member

I was in the same boat as you a few months ago. Went to the Lange boutique in London to ask about the Odysseus but was told about the requirements to get one. I think it’s a great watch but to lose your beloved 5524 then it’s probably not worth pursuing, particularly as the watch will only arrive in 2 years. Anything can happen between now and then. Everybody is predicting a market correction of some sort so I would recommend waiting rather than jumping the gun. If the market does turn downwards, I don’t think ALS is in the position to play this sort of games requiring bundling and excessive purchases etc which might open up more possibilities for genuine collectors rather than succumbing to retailer pressure.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 05:25 AM   #11
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
I was in the same boat as you a few months ago. Went to the Lange boutique in London to ask about the Odysseus but was told about the requirements to get one. I think it’s a great watch but to lose your beloved 5524 then it’s probably not worth pursuing, particularly as the watch will only arrive in 2 years. Anything can happen between now and then. Everybody is predicting a market correction of some sort so I would recommend waiting rather than jumping the gun. If the market does turn downwards, I don’t think ALS is in the position to play this sort of games requiring bundling and excessive purchases etc which might open up more possibilities for genuine collectors rather than succumbing to retailer pressure.
I think you’re right. And 2 years is absolutely a long time. I’m still going to check out the Lange 1 Moon Phase. That will be in a couple weeks. I’ll report back my feelings on it.

Instagram - patton250
Old 26 October 2021, 05:45 AM   #12
mario1971
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS
Follow your heart and do it. Read my signature at the bottom and don't hesitate anymore!
Old 26 October 2021, 06:07 AM   #13
ts3
"TRF" Member

I'd prefer 5524G you love plus Lange 1 MP over Lange 1 MP plus Odysseus by a mile but that's just me who doesn't like the Odysseus.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 06:11 AM   #14
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
I'd prefer 5524G you love plus Lange 1 MP over Lange 1 MP plus Odysseus by a mile but that's just me who doesn't like the Odysseus.
I honestly don’t know if I love the Odysseus or not. All I have seen so far are pictures of it. Yes like what I see however as most of you know pictures and the real thing in your hands are two completely different things.

Instagram - patton250
Old 26 October 2021, 06:12 AM   #15
CountryBoy
"TRF" Member

Watch: sun, moon, heehaw
I have 5524G that i love, i have had three Langes and miss my Lange 1 blue dial most.
If you have to choose one, Lange 1 moon phase is it (don't tell anyone i said that)
CountryBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 10:49 AM   #16
Yobrooks
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP
Interestingly, I had the same dilemma, however, I really love my 5524, and it really gives a more casual vibe compared to the Lange. I think I'll pull the trigger for the white gold odysseus with both the black rubber band and leather strap. Looks great. Best of both worlds.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Yobrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 10:52 AM   #17
Yobrooks
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP
White gold odysseus

Yobrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 11:12 AM   #18
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobrooks View Post
Interestingly, I had the same dilemma, however, I really love my 5524, and it really gives a more casual vibe compared to the Lange. I think I'll pull the trigger for the white gold odysseus with both the black rubber band and leather strap. Looks great. Best of both worlds.

I hear you. I love mine also. I also have the blue strap for it. Ill be looking at the Lange 1 next week.

Instagram - patton250
Old 26 October 2021, 08:05 PM   #19
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Do it. You can always buy another 5524 without too much financial penalty. If you figure you're overpaying on the Lange 1 by as much as $10K vs. grey market, that's the cost to buy a ticket to get the Odysseus (in steel, I presume, otherwise this isn't worth it) then it's 1/4th the premium of that watch over retail ($40K MSRP vs. $80K Grey).
And if the AD or Boutique from which you buy the Lange 1 can't, ultimately, deliver on the Odysseus you'll have a great story to tell plus you can buy back your 5524g (with the funds you were holding to buy the Odysseus) and you'll only be out $20K.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 10:33 PM   #20
lord91
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
I like the L1 MP more than the 5524, but i wouldn't do this switch for the Odysseus which i find it totally unlikeable.
lord91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 11:50 PM   #21
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

I prefer 5524. Even if I had L1 and Odysseus, I wouldn’t wear them if I had a 5524. So my opinion would be to stay put.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2021, 05:48 AM   #22
BrunoMalik
Banned

5524G or Lange 1 Moon Phase

The Odysseus is the most underwhelming steel sports watch in that price bracket. I am puzzled as to why it commands such a premium.

The Nautilus and Royal Oak run rings around it. The Czapek Antarctique and Moser Streamliner are both better sports watches as well, and you can get them at retail with minimal wait.

As a matter of fact, id keep the 5524 and the $10k you were planning to loose on the Lange 1 and order either the Antarctique or the Streamliner. They are both 20k so you would get them at half price.

Edit: The 5524 is also a better watch than the Lange full stop.
BrunoMalik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2021, 07:07 AM   #23
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
Based on your description, I would likely keep the 5524G. The watch is something you already enjoy and purchasing a ALS only gives you the hopes of acquiring an ALS sport watch. And with that said, it seems like you are just buying the Odysseus because it's simply a sports watch and the only one available in the ALS line up.

I personally love the Lange 1 Black Dial Moonphase. That watch does circles around the Odysseus. Absolutely not a fan of the Odysseus. No offence to those who like the watch, but it seems bulky in terms of design from the lugs and strap integration to dial layout with the date/day.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2021, 07:13 AM   #24
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nastie View Post
Based on your description, I would likely keep the 5524G. The watch is something you already enjoy and purchasing a ALS only gives you the hopes of acquiring an ALS sport watch. And with that said, it seems like you are just buying the Odysseus because it's simply a sports watch and the only one available in the ALS line up.

I personally love the Lange 1 Black Dial Moonphase. That watch does circles around the Odysseus. Absolutely not a fan of the Odysseus. No offence to those who like the watch, but it seems bulky in terms of design from the lugs and strap integration to dial layout with the date/day.
I hear you. But most sports watches are bulky. My ROO and Sky D are very bulky. I will see this Lange 1 next week. I’ll decide then. It’s freaking hella expensive at full retail and that does bother me. I know some people get mad when we think this way but it does bother me that the moment I walk out of the boutique it will drop 15K in value. That’s very painful.

Instagram - patton250
Old 28 October 2021, 07:19 AM   #25
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoMalik View Post
The Odysseus is the most underwhelming steel sports watch in that price bracket. I am puzzled as to why it commands such a premium.

The Nautilus and Royal Oak run rings around it. The Czapek Antarctique and Moser Streamliner are both better sports watches as well, and you can get them at retail with minimal wait.

As a matter of fact, id keep the 5524 and the $10k you were planning to loose on the Lange 1 and order either the Antarctique or the Streamliner. They are both 20k so you would get them at half price.

Edit: The 5524 is also a better watch than the Lange full stop.
Not really, when i tried on the Odysseus the pushers gave a very satisfying click and the case was well finished. The only thing that was slightly negative from my POV was the clasp. There is a circular logo on the clasp to adjust the bracelet length which when pressed felt quite cheap. The bracelet is an acquired taste. Initially I was not a fan of it but after looking at it more and more its okay, represents a diversity instead of just following the RO and the Nautilus.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2021, 07:30 AM   #26
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
represents a diversity instead of just following the RO and the Nautilus.
Honestly I was thinking the exact same thing about the Odysseus.

Instagram - patton250
Old 4 November 2021, 10:52 PM   #27
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
I personally love the 5524G, and wouldn’t do this deal. I think Lange makes some beautiful watches, but I wouldn’t have either of the two you’re referring to, over the PP.
As I always say and practice….go with whatever will make you happiest. No wrong answer, as all are great pieces.
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2021, 01:19 AM   #28
qrc36
"TRF" Member

I would sell the 5524G (which you can easily get again), and then go grey on for the Odysseus.

Reasons:
1. You don't know if your AD will deliver on their promise, and when they will deliver. It's not an enforceable contract or a guarantee, it's just their best guess right now.

2. You don't know if you'll still like the Odysseus when it arrives. 2 years is a long time and tastes change, or maybe there's something hotter that comes out inbetween.

3. If you really like the Odysseus, why not get it now and wear it now and enjoy having it for 2 more years?

(Personally, the big day of the week indicator at 9 o'clock bothers me ... I was offered to go on the waitlist for the Odysseus at the boutique here after buying a Saxonia and a Zeitwerk, but I said no thanks!)
qrc36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2021, 08:15 PM   #29
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
I hear you. But most sports watches are bulky. My ROO and Sky D are very bulky. I will see this Lange 1 next week. I’ll decide then. It’s freaking hella expensive at full retail and that does bother me. I know some people get mad when we think this way but it does bother me that the moment I walk out of the boutique it will drop 15K in value. That’s very painful.
How was it? I love the L1 MP, I'd take that over the 24 and then see what happens on the Ody.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2021, 08:16 PM   #30
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
How was it? I love the L1 MP, I'd take that over the 24 and then see what happens on the Ody... that watch still reminds me of Terry Crews...
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote