The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 10 July 2021, 01:36 PM   #1
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Anyone gotten the LR Defender 110?

If so, what do you think of the front seat comfort and what have you seen thus far as far as reliability? Have some low back issues and looking for that perfect seat. Tried one today and seemed to fit the bill. Otherwise I’m still hunting for an S-class to burn even more money on.

Sent using Tapatalk
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 02:04 PM   #2
Texex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
Anyone gotten the LR Defender 110?

Quote:
Originally Posted by airchitect View Post
If so, what do you think of the front seat comfort and what have you seen thus far as far as reliability? Have some low back issues and looking for that perfect seat. Tried one today and seemed to fit the bill. Otherwise I’m still hunting for an S-class to burn even more money on.

Sent using Tapatalk

Absolutely love mine but it’s only been 1 week. Went on the first longish drive today of about 2 hours. Very comfortable. Too early to comment on reliability. Love how high the seating position is compared to other SUVs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10 July 2021, 05:51 PM   #3
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
I like these a lot but still have my reservations concerning it, namely I don’t know if I have too much confidence for the V6 engine which is turbo, supercharged and a mild hybrid system. That’s a lot of “stuff” that needs to work right in a vehicle that’s supposed to be durable.
The chassis is supposed to be the best LR produces and LR’s air suspension has been proven to do well over the years.

TFL has done some great reviews of their personally owned 110, unfortunately their experiences have been mostly bad, but just goes to show.
Doug Demuro owns one and did a great long term review which had some of the same QC type issues many across the board have been complaining about, most are small issues for sure, some big and some software related but when I think of my 4Runner Pro, I have had zero issues over double this similar mileage.

Lastly, I am still considering one but it’s moved down on my list, I want to see how the new Bronco looks and performs and there’s also the Defender V8 coming very soon, I definitely prefer that one over the over complicated V6.

Doug’s review:

https://youtu.be/AZdbNHba0ls
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 06:24 PM   #4
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
I came so close to buying one due to the ‘cool’ factor, but ultimately the extra cash for a Range Rover is worth it.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 07:46 PM   #5
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Land Rover reliability history + turbo-charged + super charged + hybrid system = tow truck owner’s dream car
Old 10 July 2021, 07:57 PM   #6
El Patron
"TRF" Member

I drive original Defender, but the wife is looking at a new 110. It’s cool, but I rather wait for the V8. Also been looking at the new G63, but the dealer is asking 25k over sticker still, so not sure if it’s really worth paying for that or just wait it out, no rush.

El Patron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 10:43 PM   #7
airchitect
"TRF" Member

To me this is a vehicle I’d lease. I don’t want to own it. Also, I’m confused. The 3.0L only has turbos and the mild hybrid (like just about everything else now). Why are you guys mentioning a supercharger? It’s not a Volvo. The tfl reviews have def taught me a few things. One, no 4-cyl. Two, don’t let a dealer install the winch (which has nothing to do with reliability). Three, there are some electrical gremlins/programming issues it seems. I really need to go drive one and check out the seats…….

Sent using Tapatalk
Old 10 July 2021, 10:44 PM   #8
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Patron View Post
I drive original Defender, but the wife is looking at a new 110. It’s cool, but I rather wait for the V8. Also been looking at the new G63, but the dealer is asking 25k over sticker still, so not sure if it’s really worth paying for that or just wait it out, no rush.

My dealer has a certified white G63 if that’s your cup o tea. OG body style.

Sent using Tapatalk
Old 10 July 2021, 10:51 PM   #9
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I came very close to pulling the trigger after taking one for the day. I didn’t have any real complaints during the extended drive and like most land rovers there’s a bit of fun injected while driving it.

That said the new lx600/lx750 preorders start in September for the LC300 platform. I’m holding for that.
Old 10 July 2021, 10:51 PM   #10
mjm700
"TRF" Member

Have both a Defender 110 and G63. G63 is in another class - no comparison - and priced accordingly. The Defender has been good and replaced a 2013 full sized range rover. The use of a third row was one of the reasons we got it but it is too small and uncomfortable and the kids revolted so we dont use those seats. Good, fun truck. Styling is nice and very functional. Great for dogs (but not as good as our truck). Had lots of quirks (no unlock on passenger side, at first the rear camera had to be manually switched off when going from reverse to drive, turns off if you exit when in park, etc). Ultimately, for us, it is not as comfortable or smooth as the range rover (and to be fair is probably not intended to be, but nearly as expensive as equipped) and we will probably go back to a RR with the next gen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
mjm700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 10:53 PM   #11
mjm700
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My dealer has a certified white G63 if that’s your cup o tea. OG body style.

Sent using Tapatalk

Whats OG body style?

Old 10 July 2021, 10:58 PM   #12
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm700 View Post
Whats OG body style?

The last body style not the current slightly softened one. Five door wagon of course. People would lose their minds if the sold cabriolets, etc in the states…..

Sent using Tapatalk
Old 10 July 2021, 10:59 PM   #13
jbc247
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm700 View Post
Whats OG body style?

Previous model
jbc247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 11:06 PM   #14
mjm700
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbc247 View Post
Previous model

I dont want to go off topic from the OP’s question on the Defender but the prior gen G63 is not the same - lots out there on the differences. 2019 is the first year of the current gen.

I would definitely take the Defender over the prior gen G63!

Old 10 July 2021, 11:12 PM   #15
DLRIDES

Quote:
To me this is a vehicle I’d lease. I don’t want to own it. Also, I’m confused. The 3.0L only has turbos and the mild hybrid (like just about everything else now). Why are you guys mentioning a supercharger? It’s not a Volvo. The tfl reviews have def taught me a few things. One, no 4-cyl. Two, don’t let a dealer install the winch (which has nothing to do with reliability). Three, there are some electrical gremlins/programming issues it seems. I really need to go drive one and check out the seats…….

Sent using Tapatalk
” The rest of the Defender 110 lineup has the 395-hp mild-hybrid powertrain featuring the turbocharged and electric supercharged inline-6 engine with electric assist.”

What could go wrong ? ………………….

The words “Land Rover”, “turbocharged”, “supercharged”, and “electric assist” used in one paragraph, should make any car enthusiast laugh hysterically, like roll on the ground gasping for air funny.
Old 10 July 2021, 11:16 PM   #16
mjm700
"TRF" Member

Old 10 July 2021, 11:34 PM   #17
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I came very close to pulling the trigger after taking one for the day. I didn’t have any real complaints during the extended drive and like most land rovers there’s a bit of fun injected while driving it.

That said the new lx600/lx750 preorders start in September for the LC300 platform. I’m holding for that.

Yeah but Toyota truck seats solidly suck. Just ask my back every time I drive our GX460

Sent using Tapatalk
Old 10 July 2021, 11:39 PM   #18
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRIDES View Post
” The rest of the Defender 110 lineup has the 395-hp mild-hybrid powertrain featuring the turbocharged and electric supercharged inline-6 engine with electric assist.”

What could go wrong ? ………………….

The words “Land Rover”, “turbocharged”, “supercharged”, and “electric assist” used in one paragraph, should make any car enthusiast laugh hysterically, like roll on the ground gasping for air funny.

I get that, but I’ve yet to find literature that mentions anything about supercharging…… turbo……check. Hybrid……..check. And frankly if it weren’t for the driving position and seat I wouldn’t really look at it, but the comfort seems to be there……

So just checked a few more things…..it’s turbo and mild hybrid…. No supercharger.

Sent using Tapatalk
Old 10 July 2021, 11:42 PM   #19
El Patron
"TRF" Member

OP, what’s your end game here on how you plan to use the vehicle? Going from a 110 to a S Class is two way different things, unless your just looking for something to drive back and forth on pavement and looks over functionality, which I get, both are cool cars in their respected category, if it’s comfort your after, hard to beat a S Class.
The new Defender and new G wagon will never be the same as the ones that are replacing. The previous models were actually tanks, as they were built for military use originally. The new replacements are very refined and I’m sure they drive a million times better and safer etc. I just feel they lost their soul and got more Hollywood then back woods. Only reason I’m looking is because of the wife, she don’t like my dirty diesels, . If I was the OP, I would buy a previous model G wagon for the same money, it’s a much better vehicle and they will hold value very very will. You also get a V8, AMG brakes and suspension, a way better interior, and you can set it up for the mall or off road. ( but ir will definitely be harder on your back then a S Class)Or wait until the V8 Defender is released here in the states, now that I might change my opinion, and I’m hard core Land Rover guy!

El Patron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 11:49 PM   #20
bremersm
Banned

I wanted to love the new Defender in any of it's flavors but it just looks so bland as I see them on the road. Give me a new Bronco or Bronco Sport.
bremersm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 11:57 PM   #21
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Patron View Post
OP, what’s your end game here on how you plan to use the vehicle? Going from a 110 to a S Class is two way different things, unless your just looking for something to drive back and forth on pavement and looks over functionality, which I get, both are cool cars in their respected category, if it’s comfort your after, hard to beat a S Class.
The new Defender and new G wagon will never be the same as the ones that are replacing. The previous models were actually tanks, as they were built for military use originally. The new replacements are very refined and I’m sure they drive a million times better and safer etc. I just feel they lost their soul and got more Hollywood then back woods. Only reason I’m looking is because of the wife, she don’t like my dirty diesels, . If I was the OP, I would buy a previous model G wagon for the same money, it’s a much better vehicle and they will hold value very very will. You also get a V8, AMG brakes and suspension, a way better interior, and you can set it up for the mall or off road. ( but ir will definitely be harder on your back then a S Class)Or wait until the V8 Defender is released here in the states, now that I might change my opinion, and I’m hard core Land Rover guy!

Excellent post. So allow me to elaborate. We’ve been looking for something to supplement/replace our Lexus for about 3-4mths. We’ve driven everything. Some are better than others. BMW lumbar….nope. Ford massage……nah. Alfa seat tightness…..nope. And on and on. There has been one vehicle ive driven thusfar that has stuck out in my head for its comfort… the s-clAss. But there are issues. First, it’s still a sedan and when the back is flared up climbing in and out is a mess. Two, my wife wants a road trip vehicle. Obvious choices here are minivans, suburbans, etc but their seats suck too……. AND we have a golden doodle the fam wants to take with us wherever we go. Last night I jumped into a defender and it felt great. Granted that’s not a 10hr trip but the initial feeling was good unlike most. I will probably never buy another European car as I’ve learned those lessons in the past. But if I can lease it well, it may be game on.

Sent using Tapatalk
Old 11 July 2021, 12:13 AM   #22
airchitect
"TRF" Member

So what I’m looking for here……

Who owns one?
How comfortable/supportive is it?
How’s your real life reliability been?

Sent using Tapatalk
Old 11 July 2021, 12:22 AM   #23
DLRIDES

Quote:
I get that, but I’ve yet to find literature that mentions anything about supercharging…… turbo……check. Hybrid……..check. And frankly if it weren’t for the driving position and seat I wouldn’t really look at it, but the comfort seems to be there……

So just checked a few more things…..it’s turbo and mild hybrid…. No supercharger.

Sent using Tapatalk
Car and Driver:

“ The Defender is also available with a 3.0-liter inline-six. Along with turbocharging, the upgraded engine utilizes an electric supercharger and 48-volt hybrid system.”

The Drive:

“ Powertrain: 3.0-liter twincharged (turbo+electric supercharger) mild-hybrid inline-six “

KBB Reviews:

“ As an X-Dynamic S model, the 2021 Defender 90 is powered by a mild hybrid powertrain featuring a turbocharged and electric supercharged 3.0-liter inline-6 that puts out 395 horsepower.”

Consumer Guide:

“ The new six is a supercharged and turbocharged 3.0-liter inline six paired with a 48-volt mild hybrid system.”

2:30 minutes in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJHG1V_LB6Q

etc, etc, etc, …………………..

Might wanna check your googler search engine thingy.
Old 11 July 2021, 12:48 AM   #24
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Car and Driver:

“ The Defender is also available with a 3.0-liter inline-six. Along with turbocharging, the upgraded engine utilizes an electric supercharger and 48-volt hybrid system.”

The Drive:

“ Powertrain: 3.0-liter twincharged (turbo+electric supercharger) mild-hybrid inline-six “

KBB Reviews:

“ As an X-Dynamic S model, the 2021 Defender 90 is powered by a mild hybrid powertrain featuring a turbocharged and electric supercharged 3.0-liter inline-6 that puts out 395 horsepower.”

Consumer Guide:

“ The new six is a supercharged and turbocharged 3.0-liter inline six paired with a 48-volt mild hybrid system.”

2:30 minutes in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJHG1V_LB6Q

etc, etc, etc, …………………..

Might wanna check your googler search engine thingy.

Well suck me sideways! Sir, you are a wealth of knowledge!

Sent using Tapatalk
Old 11 July 2021, 01:30 AM   #25
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yeah but Toyota truck seats solidly suck. Just ask my back every time I drive our GX460

Sent using Tapatalk
Aahh!!! The notoriously crappy Toyota seats. I had the same problem in my old Toyota pickup as well as my wife’s Limited 4runner. It was the reason we sold the 4-runner.

A friend discovered these seat risers for his GX and Tacoma and they actually make a huge difference by raising the seat position enough so that your legs are not as stretched out in front of you (which is what caused my low back pain).

It might be worth a try if you or your wife would otherwise want to keep the GX.

https://desertdoesit.com/products/fr...-2009-4runners

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 02:18 AM   #26
mjm700
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Who owns one?

Sent using Tapatalk

Have the leather HSE seats etc. They are okay. I also have lower back issues. Surgeries and still issues. Defender is not bad but not great. Range rover seats are 100x better and more supportive.

Old 11 July 2021, 02:22 AM   #27
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Land Rover reliability history + turbo-charged + super charged + hybrid system = tow truck owner’s dream car

Been there done that!!! But I can’t say Jeeps have been that much better!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

watchtabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 02:27 AM   #28
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Who owns one?

Sent using Tapatalk

Come on you’ve been here long enough you know getting a straight answer is not gonna happen!! But good thread! I love the subforum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

watchtabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 05:13 AM   #29
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:

Sent using Tapatalk

Hmm never had any issues and my back is crooked as hell lol but fair enough.
Old 11 July 2021, 06:34 AM   #30
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Whelp I just got back from driving a Defender 90 SE with a general configuration I liked. All in all it was good, esp for 2yrs. That said I’d love to find one to rent for a few days on Turo…..

Sent using Tapatalk